• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started watching Goodnight Mommy 2022 last night and found the beginning weirdly terrifying, and then had to stop half-way through when it started ramping up. I'll try to get the courage to finish it because it is really artistically, nuanced, psychological horror. The opening has the slightest images or movements that are abnormal and manages to be terrifying before one can even understand why.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I realized V/H/S/99 released on Shudder recently, so I queued that up. (They apparently also filmed the sequel V/H/S/85 back to back, so that will come out next year some time.)

It's a typical VHS film. They really just ditched on a frame story this time. There's a few snippets of things (including a multi-clip of a plastic army men plot) but really didn't use a framing story per se this time and was probably better for it -- because the framing stories have always sucked.

The movie didn't take itself as seriously this time and was better for it. I could laugh at a lot of it, at least, and it was more amusing than scary.

The best coherent story is probably the Suicide Sorority bit. It actually tries to tell an actual story with small character arcs/differences, and has a coherent ending. The middle piece really benefits from Steven Ogg's presence. Some of the pieces have terrible endings even if the body was okay. I really am hoping for a spinoff from a really lovable character from the final piece -- it sounds like it could happen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
About 85% of these are actually great horror films. (I think I've seen them all?)

Aside from the fact of course that the frontpiece image is from the first VHS, which did not air in 2021... durrrr

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reruns for me in the last two days, but introducing eldest to more films.

Last night was Young Frankenstein, which I have not seen for decades. I forgot how great it was (the mirroring of black-white old horror flick productions, the acting and comic timing, and it's arguably in Mel Brooks' top three films before he fell into a decline humor-wise). Madelaine Kahn is like an MVP whenever she shows up, but they're all great, including Feldman and Leachman and of course Wilder. I love how they're all so over the top in many of the scenes, none of them are holding back and they're swinging for the fences in terms of emoting. There's some nuance to the film as well. My son thought it was great and lost it when it hit the infamous "Putting on the Ritz" segment. We should probably rewatch Blazing Saddles, he says he watched it when he was younger and felt like some of it went over his head. The other film I was thinking was The Producers, which I haven't seen. I'm a fan of much of Brooks' early work but I don't much like the stuff starting with Spaceballs and beyond.

We also watched The Perfection tonight (from Netflix 2019). I warned him it was pretty off the rails. The thing is, it's got really great cinematography, camera work, editing, and even acting -- especially the first 40 minutes or so. The dialogue/plotting gets a little too generic by the end, but that opening section really does some daring stuff, the cello pieces chosen are unique, and they even "fake play" pretty convincingly. It's surprising that there were actual skills involved in a movie that didn't really stick around too long

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Deadstream on Shudder. Ironically, I thought I recognized one of the few on-screen actors in this film, and she was in the last chapter of V/H/S/99. In fact, the protagonist of this film was also in that short, and also directed that short and this movie.

Technically the story itself is only like a 3/5 (streamer stays in haunted house), but I found this film really really enjoyable and laughed at much of it, so I would rate it higher based on entertainment value even if it doesn't really tread new ground. Things kick up once a new character enters 20 minutes into the film, and it's a real hoot to read all the scrolling streamer audience comments as the film progresses (if you can do that and keep up with the main screen action). A lot of the humor is in those comments, although the whole film is kind of a light-hearted take kind of in the tune of Evil Dead 2, even if it never gets really scary "per se."

Kind of an amusing, delightful surprise even though it's still only light entertainment.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Phantasm just isn't that good. Jawas cannot be scary. I guess that's why everyone talks about the Tall Man and not his Jawa army.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Hour of the Wolf tonight by Ingmar Bergman. Still trying to figure out what I saw, although I think it's kind of metaphorical and surreal based on elements of Bergman's own life, in terms of the inner psyche of the creative individuals. Pretty crazy stuff for a film from the 60's, along with all the exquisite scene setup/framing etc that he is famous for.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This movie...is one of the most fabulously aesthetic camp pieces ever made. Batman movies were so much more fun when he was queer.​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Holy shit, I just watched Barbarian on HBO Max.

I don't even want to much describe it because it might ruin the experience. Just go into it knowing nothing, or just knowing the surface level opening at best. It's one of the more bonkers films I've seen. It also stars Georgina Campbell, who I loved when I saw her in "Hang the DJ" on Black Mirror. I had been looking for other stuff she's done since then, and somehow I missed this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I watched the original Ring/Ringu finally (on Sat), then rewatched the American remake The Ring last night. One of those rare cases where both films are decent and you can pick the one adhering more to your sensibilities.

It's really clear (based on my knowledge of the original book and now the original film) that they based the A remake on the film, not the book -- basically taking and intensifying the tensions from the first film. It's amazing how many beats from the Japanese film got into the A film, even small things (like the father and son staring at each other on the street). I would have expected bits like the quick horrifying cut to the closet with the niece's dead body to be something added in the A remake -- but it's not, it's actually in the J version too; the A film just added a husked/rotted appearance to the faces of the victims. But so many beats (aside from a few added sequences like the horse on the ferry) are right from the J film.

Even the opening sequence is literally beat for beat in both films, which is really bizarre because you'd think there could be cultural differences. But it even matches the nuances:
- Two girls talking.
- One girl makes small talk.
- The other brings up the tape and rumors.
- The first girl acts scared and admits she watched the tape -- then pretends she is kidding.
- When the phone rings, the "kidding" girl's demeanor changes and it's clear she wasn't actually kidding.
- It's the mom.
- Friend goes to bathroom.
- Thing happens.

It's the fact they kept the nuance of the dialogue the same that is surprising, instead of just doing a different spin.

The A version also adds additional visual detail to juice up the scenes. Like, when our favorite li'l girl comes crawling in the finale shocker, the environment in the J version often remains static, but the TV in the A version starts showing beads of condensation running down the sides. There are a lot of details like this, that are reminiscent of starting with a basic palette (the J film) and then just adding in details to flesh it out more (the A film). Even the video is expanded in the A version, to be more creepy and also include more elements of the story (like a foretelling of the events of the film).

The main departure is the Sadako/Samara back story and the role/occupation of the mother and the doctor; the J film adheres closely to the book, the A version makes up its own backstory. Also, the kid in the A version is psychic, whereas the boyfriend/ex in the J version is psychic. Both back stories are fine. I think this is a departure from the books where the protagonist is actually male (not female), and the ex/bf is a friend.

Tomb1

Holy shit, I just watched Barbarian on HBO Max.

I don't even want to much describe it because it might ruin the experience. Just go into it knowing nothing, or just knowing the surface level opening at best. It's one of the more bonkers films I've seen. It also stars Georgina Campbell, who I loved when I saw her in "Hang the DJ" on Black Mirror. I had been looking for other stuff she's done since then, and somehow I missed this.
Excellent movie. Highly recommend not even watching the trailer before viewing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched Bullet Train tonight. it was kind of enjoyable, kind of derivative, and/or not nearly as good I had hoped. it didn't feel as action-packed as it promised either. Quirky film, which was pleasing. But it ran two hours and really didn't have the energy to reasonably justify that length of time.

There were definitely a few funny cameos, at least.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Last night I watched "Our Idiot Brother" and it was really funny with clever writing and timing. It's another "The Dude" kind of situation.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catching up on more horror I did not get to in October:

The Ruins (2008) -- I'm kinda surprised this film ranks lower than expected. Not that it's a top-tier horror flick, but I expected to see more like a 70% RT score on it and maybe a 60% user score. Was it because the generic expectations were not met? This has more psychological horror similar to The Descent (aka people put in really bad situations and how they psychologically respond to it and how their relationships start to break down, how they make ethical decisions, etc.) and less about jump scares. Even the gore moments (yeah, there's a few) are in support of psychological horror/disturbance, not just random bits of gore. In fact, I found a lot of it mainly creepy and at times claustrophobic (even the outdoors scenes, because they were still surrounded and had little space that felt even safe). It also involves a bit of body horror and how awful it feels to feel like the horror is inside of you, rather than external. I squirmed a lot at certain points of this film.

The four leads are actually pretty decent (most of you probably know Jena Malone, and maybe Shawn Ashmore), and despite not having a TON of details on their backstories, I felt like each of them was real, so it's tragic when things go south. (The extra characters, not as much sympathy.) And any time they seemed to make a bad decision, I would start to question it -- and then one of them would typically ask the same question. Wow, nice! I think the only bit of senselessness I noted was simply not moving ALL the shit in their location to the center, as far from the perimeter as possible.

The film length is actually appropriate for the amount of content (they might have squeezed out an additional five minutes to expand on character a bit), but it's going to linger with me for awhile psychologically.

The Cat

Staff member
Catching up on more horror I did not get to in October:

The Ruins (2008) -- I'm kinda surprised this film ranks lower than expected. Not that it's a top-tier horror flick, but I expected to see more like a 70% RT score on it and maybe a 60% user score. Was it because the generic expectations were not met? This has more psychological horror similar to The Descent (aka people put in really bad situations and how they psychologically respond to it and how their relationships start to break down, how they make ethical decisions, etc.) and less about jump scares. Even the gore moments (yeah, there's a few) are in support of psychological horror/disturbance, not just random bits of gore. In fact, I found a lot of it mainly creepy and at times claustrophobic (even the outdoors scenes, because they were still surrounded and had little space that felt even safe). It also involves a bit of body horror and how awful it feels to feel like the horror is inside of you, rather than external. I squirmed a lot at certain points of this film.

The four leads are actually pretty decent (most of you probably know Jena Malone, and maybe Shawn Ashmore), and despite not having a TON of details on their backstories, I felt like each of them was real, so it's tragic when things go south. (The extra characters, not as much sympathy.) And any time they seemed to make a bad decision, I would start to question it -- and then one of them would typically ask the same question. Wow, nice! I think the only bit of senselessness I noted was simply not moving ALL the shit in their location to the center, as far from the perimeter as possible.

The film length is actually appropriate for the amount of content (they might have squeezed out an additional five minutes to expand on character a bit), but it's going to linger with me for awhile psychologically.
I really enjoyed this movie.
riker+straw+in+head.JPG

Would someone answer that damned ringing?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My 4K Sound Canal version of "Highlander" (original film) showed up today. I had no idea it was coming, but then so I rewatched it. They actually converted the full-length (director's cut) version, so it's got all the extra scenes of which some were cut because they disrupted the narrative either plot or tone-wise (the most obvious being the humorous duel of 1783)

I dunno, it's such a glorious mess of a film. Even all these years later, despite all of its flaws, I still actually love this film for so many reasons.

• One of the greatest evocative scores + a decent track of songs by Queen. it's still something to have the sound turned up in the opening and hear Queen blast in with four-part harmony on a black screen.
  • Really resonant performances (Lambert, Connery, Brown) -- even if Connery and Brown seem over the top in places, they are extremely memorable. It's extremely cool because Brown went on to become much more widely known (SpongeBob, Lost, Shawshank Redemption, so many other TV shows and films) over the years, but his Kurgan is maybe one of the most memorable 80's film villians.
  • The dialogue is actually pretty funny throughout, in a decent way and not necessarily a stupid way (although there are occasional stupid lines).
  • Most of the transitions are really memorable (like how it transitions to the past and back to the present).
  • It actually attempts to be deep or at least resonant and sometimes succeeds. The film does a good job of presenting the negatives of immortality and how this results in a sense of restlessness, ennui, and loneliness because anything or anyone you care about will eventually pass away. The music buttresses this as well.
  • The relationship w/ Rachel is expanded in the DC. It never gets superdeep, but he saves her life when she's a little girl and she ends up staying with him and supporting him through her entire life. It's clear that she loves him or cares deeply, but he always stayed a bit distant from her because of what happened with Heather and they did not really have a romantic relationship, she was almost more of a daughter to him despite her eventually looking old enough to be his mother. It's really touching that one of the first things he says to her is, "Hey, it's a kind of magic," and then this is the last thing he says to her when he leaves her at the end. The actress playing her has such a small role but emotionally nails her facial expressions and voice. It's one of my favorite parts of the film -- it evokes love and loss, the inevitable passing of time.
  • It's really hard to watch him driven out of his hometown in the beginning. Everyone he cares about turns on him after he survives a mortal wound because he must be in "league with Lucifer!" and they're planning to burn him after beating him mercilessly... but the clan leader Angus doesn't agree with them and insists on banishing him instead. It's a really touching moment -- Angus can't protect him in town any more but does what he can to get him out safely and understands that Connor isn't evil but just something he doesn't understand. It's like a ray of goodness amid the hate.
  • Same thing, the training montage reveals that Ramirez knew he was taking a risk when he trained Connor to survive the attacks of other Immortals, and there's a point when Connor could kill him and Ramirez looks a little anxious -- but instead Connor offers him his hand and calls him his brother. Ramirez had the spirit of a true teacher. In fact, the things the Immortals do (in light of them being virtually killable except in one way) reveals their inner nature -- who's a good person, and who's a bad one. Ramirez teaches those who could end up killing him eventually, while MacLeod saves people when he doesn't need to and/or doesn't really abuse his ability.
  • There's a great moment in the final battle sequence likewise when Connor drops back into "scorpion position" with Ramirez's blade, and Kurgan seems to recognize the pose. Ramirez might not be around anymore, but his essence lives on in Connor, who is alive only because Ramirez taught him. Years later, The Matrix Revolutions mirrored this when in the final battle with Smith, where Neo looks like he is starting to lose, he does the "come on" hand gesture that we first saw Morpheus do in the first movie while training Neo.
  • It's just small things like this that make the film better than you'd expect, and taps into some kind of emotional continuity undergirding the film even when the logical elements of the film fail. It helps that Lambert really embodies the forlorn, broody Connor/Nash character well.
Sound Canal is well-known for their 'ports and/or retouching/mastering of old films that aren't in good shape, over in Europe (usually Lionsgate will then 'port their conversions over to Region A/1), and this is probably the best-looking and sounding version of the film that will ever be made. It's still got some flaws but mostly of the shooting, not the producing, so they cannot be corrected. 4K also is not region-specific, that's basically a bluray/DVD artifact.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
My 4K Sound Canal version of "Highlander" (original film) showed up today. I had no idea it was coming, but then so I rewatched it. They actually converted the full-length (director's cut) version, so it's got all the extra scenes of which some were cut because they disrupted the narrative either plot or tone-wise (the most obvious being the humorous duel of 1783)

I dunno, it's such a glorious mess of a film. Even all these years later, despite all of its flaws, I still actually love this film for so many reasons.

• One of the greatest evocative scores + a decent track of songs by Queen. it's still something to have the sound turned up in the opening and hear Queen blast in with four-part harmony on a black screen.
  • Really resonant performances (Lambert, Connery, Brown) -- even if Connery and Brown seem over the top in places, they are extremely memorable. It's extremely cool because Brown went on to become much more widely known (SpongeBob, Lost, Shawshank Redemption, so many other TV shows and films) over the years, but his Kurgan is maybe one of the most memorable 80's film villians.
  • The dialogue is actually pretty funny throughout, in a decent way and not necessarily a stupid way (although there are occasional stupid lines).
  • Most of the transitions are really memorable (like how it transitions to the past and back to the present).
  • It actually attempts to be deep or at least resonant and sometimes succeeds. The film does a good job of presenting the negatives of immortality and how this results in a sense of restlessness, ennui, and loneliness because anything or anyone you care about will eventually pass away. The music buttresses this as well.
  • The relationship w/ Rachel is expanded in the DC. It never gets superdeep, but he saves her life when she's a little girl and she ends up staying with him and supporting him through her entire life. It's clear that she loves him or cares deeply, but he always stayed a bit distant from her because of what happened with Heather and they did not really have a romantic relationship, she was almost more of a daughter to him despite her eventually looking old enough to be his mother. It's really touching that one of the first things he says to her is, "Hey, it's a kind of magic," and then this is the last thing he says to her when he leaves her at the end. The actress playing her has such a small role but emotionally nails her facial expressions and voice. It's one of my favorite parts of the film -- it evokes love and loss, the inevitable passing of time.
  • It's really hard to watch him driven out of his hometown in the beginning. Everyone he cares about turns on him after he survives a mortal wound because he must be in "league with Lucifer!" and they're planning to burn him after beating him mercilessly... but the clan leader Angus doesn't agree with them and insists on banishing him instead. It's a really touching moment -- Angus can't protect him in town any more but does what he can to get him out safely and understands that Connor isn't evil but just something he doesn't understand. It's like a ray of goodness amid the hate.
  • Same thing, the training montage reveals that Ramirez knew he was taking a risk when he trained Connor to survive the attacks of other Immortals, and there's a point when Connor could kill him and Ramirez looks a little anxious -- but instead Connor offers him his hand and calls him his brother. Ramirez had the spirit of a true teacher. In fact, the things the Immortals do (in light of them being virtually killable except in one way) reveals their inner nature -- who's a good person, and who's a bad one. Ramirez teaches those who could end up killing him eventually, while MacLeod saves people when he doesn't need to and/or doesn't really abuse his ability.
  • There's a great moment in the final battle sequence likewise when Connor drops back into "scorpion position" with Ramirez's blade, and Kurgan seems to recognize the pose. Ramirez might not be around anymore, but his essence lives on in Connor, who is alive only because Ramirez taught him. Years later, The Matrix Revolutions mirrored this when in the final battle with Smith, where Neo looks like he is starting to lose, he does the "come on" hand gesture that we first saw Morpheus do in the first movie while training Neo.
  • It's just small things like this that make the film better than you'd expect, and taps into some kind of emotional continuity undergirding the film even when the logical elements of the film fail. It helps that Lambert really embodies the forlorn, broody Connor/Nash character well.
Sound Canal is well-known for their 'ports and/or retouching/mastering of old films that aren't in good shape, over in Europe (usually Lionsgate will then 'port their conversions over to Region A/1), and this is probably the best-looking and sounding version of the film that will ever be made. It's still got some flaws but mostly of the shooting, not the producing, so they cannot be corrected. 4K also is not region-specific, that's basically a bluray/DVD artifact.

Good to know, I'll look into this. Highlander was a good film, and an even better soundtrack.