• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm 23 years old and have never watched Beauty and the Beast. Until yesterday. Belle is a very well written character, but all I really care about is the teacup family and Cogsworth. I want to take Chip home with me and drink tea even if he keeps spilling it. I love seeing how they portray old France even if it's not entirely accurate, also Gaston is disgusting and probably smells like eggs.
I had graduated college the year prior.

It was a nice revitalization of Disney at the time, starting with Little Mermaid. I thought Ariel was a total ditz, but it was also actually funny, nice visual design, decent music, and a villain who didn't suck. (Disney heading through the 80's was just really on its last legs, the films were just get "eh" to me.)

And then Beauty & The Beast came out, and it was all clearly geared to generate emotion through actual character arc and song. The lyrics were hilarious at times, and I could relate to Belle in some respects, and there was really pathos and Disney doing some darker animation stylisms with Beast + how angry he was, leading him to do things he didn't want to do as his animal nature more and more asserted itself. (The whole sequence where Belle wanders into the spooky forbidden area of the castle, smashed and broken, finds the rose, Beast freaks out, she flees, and then he saves her was just amazing to me at the time, all supported emotionally by the music.) And then at the end, when the rose falls apart and you think all is lost, the transformation sequence. That sequence where Belle finally realizes she loves him (it took her that long) as the petal falls, of Beast lifting into the air and the magic roiling over him, changing him, while Belle's hair streams back into the wind -- I always cried, and there was very little that did that especially in animated films at the time.

I'm so glad they made Gaston the opposite of looking foul. Original designs had him with a thin moustache, but I think that would have been incorrect as it made him look seedy, and he needed to look fair but feel foul, while the Beast was the opposite, to make the counterpoint.

It was my favorite Disney/Pixar film for awhile, but the new formula soon became an old formula and fell more into a rut -- and then The Incredibles came out in 2004 or so.

I liked Cogsworth better than Lumiere too. I thought Chip would have some siblings, what good is just one teacup, lol?

---

I am more indifferent now to parts of B&tB, it's funny how attitudes shift over time. I think Hunchback's story is mostly thin (aside from Frollo being a classic example of a non-supernatural but thorough evil in mundane human ways villain, damn I see a lot of Frollo's nowadays) but I think the music is Alan Menkin's best Disney soundtrack ever. I grew to really appreciate Aladdin, and while I felt like Mulan was decent enough but somewhat of a letdown when I saw it in the theater, it is now probably my favorite Disney film from the 90's. Of course I always loved The Emperor's New Groove when it came out, it totally fit my comic sensibilities, and it still cracks me up today. I dunno, Disney kind of disappointed / fell into its rut by the early/mid 2000's and had to absorb Pixar to rejuvenate itself a bit.

I also can swear that saw Fantasia in theaters at some point, but I also swear I'm not that old.

Yeah, they have done various re-releases to theaters. I am having trouble finding one later than the official 1990 re-release but I would swear there was another in the late 90's maybe to support Fantasia 2000. I just don't know. I distinctly remember going because I went with my now-ex and my best friend to a late showing on a Friday or Saturday night, and they both fell asleep during the that really slowwwwww pastoral sequence with the baby pegasi and centaur running around. Somehow I soldiered through because I wanted to see Bald Mountain on the big screen.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

Awesone ending, awesome movie. Speaks to my dark and cynical side. The main character does the right thing, but does not get the romance in the end. In fact, his love interest walks right past, saying nothing. But why would she do anything else? Why would she go with him after he led the police to take down her criminal lover, after all? Sometimes people fall deeply in love with awful people, after all. This person was probably her one true love.

I like that the movie establishes that you don't always get rewarded for being the hero. It seems so anti-Code. Were they a British production and that was how they got away with this?

The music and photography is awesome, too. Many scenes are filmed at odd angles, suggesting that the whole order of the universe has been upended and everything is slipping away into oblivion, an existential void.
There are no heroes. No good guys. No bad guys. Just people doing their best to get by in dystopia.

The Cat

Staff member
You have heard of Casablanca? :D

I think it was part of the spirit of the time that we all have to make certain sacrifices for things that are bigger than our own personal interests.
I can also think of a bunch of noirs where the (anti)hero does not "get the girl".
It's more common for the protagonist not to get the girl in noir, that's one of the things I love about it. Love is never billed as a cure all fixer of circumstance.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, they have done various re-releases to theaters. I am having trouble finding one later than the official 1990 re-release but I would swear there was another in the late 90's maybe to support Fantasia 2000. I just don't know. I distinctly remember going because I went with my now-ex and my best friend to a late showing on a Friday or Saturday night, and they both fell asleep during the that really slowwwwww pastoral sequence with the baby pegasi and centaur running around. Somehow I soldiered through because I wanted to see Bald Mountain on the big screen.
It must have been in 1990 because I was pretty. 1990 sounds right, although I can't order it chronologically.

And yeah, Bald Mountain was always my favorite part.

The Cat

Staff member
first time i saw it was in 1985, I was 2. The Dance of the Hours, The Rite of Spring, and A Night on Bald Mountain were my favorites, but I enjoyed the Pastoral Symphony and the Nutcracker Suite. The only one I dont really like is Sorcerer's Apprentice, and thats because I'd rather watch almost anyone else other than Mickey Mouse. Saw it again in 90. I believe it double featured with Fantasia 2000.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
first time i saw it was in 1985, I was 2. The Dance of the Hours, The Rite of Spring, and A Night on Bald Mountain were my favorites, but I enjoyed the Pastoral Symphony and the Nutcracker Suite. The only one I dont really like is Sorcerer's Apprentice, and thats because I'd rather watch almost anyone else other than Mickey Mouse. Saw it again in 90. I believe it double featured with Fantasia 2000.
Oh yeah, I also liked the Dance of the Hours, and the Nutcracker Suite.

The Cat

Staff member
Oh yeah, I also liked the Dance of the Hours, and the Nutcracker Suite.
its crazy but I was so young that Dance of the Hours setting literally has infused itself into my dreamscape.
lf

dance-of-the-hours-461.jpg

d70c7341b1f0fcdb34edb0d62cd5c0e2--animation-background-the-hours.jpg

1693322660740.png

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
its crazy but I was so young that Dance of the Hours setting literally has infused itself into my dreamscape.
It's very mysterious and I think that's something I liked about it as well. What was this place, with these strange rites between alligators and hippos? The images you posted really do suggest time to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
first time i saw it was in 1985, I was 2. The Dance of the Hours, The Rite of Spring, and A Night on Bald Mountain were my favorites,
Dance of the Hours is hilarious.

Rite of Spring was like WTF amazing -- like, it's such a drag and takes forever and is kind of morbid and depressing, but it's also kind of jaw-dropping magnificent on how they double down on tracking death and destruction for the dinosaurs and never let up, roflmao

An early concept for Rite of Spring was to extend the story to the age of mammals and the first humans and the discovery of fire and man's triumph. John Hubley, the segment's art director, explained that it was later curtailed by Disney to avoid controversy from creationists, who promised to make trouble should he connect evolution with humans

Those f*ckers -- even THEN!

but I enjoyed the Pastoral Symphony and the Nutcracker Suite. The only one I dont really like is Sorcerer's Apprentice, and thats because I'd rather watch almost anyone else other than Mickey Mouse. Saw it again in 90. I believe it double featured with Fantasia 2000.
OMG. I mean, I'm not a Mickey Mouse fan really but I always loved the Sorcerer's Apprentice because you can literally envision the story in your mind when you listen to the orchestral work. It is so vivid (regardless of whether one has seen Fantasia). Paul Dukas is the composer (French, lived across the 1900 century border). I also listened to La Peri a lot.

I actually liked Fantasia 2000, I wish it had been more popular. I liked they actually dared some different styles of animation and even musical periods. Firebird Suite is another where the story they're telling on screen, you can picture in your head just from the music; it's so great.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member

Rite of Spring was like WTF amazing -- like, it's such a drag and takes forever and is kind of morbid and depressing, but it's also kind of jaw-dropping magnificent on how they double down on tracking death and destruction for the dinosaurs and never let us, roflmao

An early concept for Rite of Spring was to extend the story to the age of mammals and the first humans and the discovery of fire and man's triumph. John Hubley, the segment's art director, explained that it was later curtailed by Disney to avoid controversy from creationists, who promised to make trouble should he connect evolution with humans

Those f*ckers -- even THEN!

OMG. I mean, I'm not a Mickey Mouse fan really but I always loved the Sorcerer's Apprentice because you can literally envision the story in your mind when you listen to the orchestral work. It is so vivid (regardless of whether one has seen Fantasia). Paul Dukas is the composer (French, lived across the 1900 century border). I also listened to La Peri a lot.

I actually liked Fantasia 2000, I wish it had been more popular. I liked they actually dared some different styles of animation and even musical periods. Firebird Suite is another where the story they're telling on screen, you can picture in your head just from the music; it's so great.
I'll listen to Sorcerer's Apprentice, and I picture anyone other than Mickey Mouse, and it literally works with any character.

Fantasia 2000 was ok, but the only one I honesty remember at all is the mother Nature one and the flying whales.

The Cat

Staff member
It's very mysterious and I think that's something I liked about it as well. What was this place, with these strange rites between alligators and hippos? The images you posted really do suggest time to me.
Sometimes in my dreams they take place in a forest I eventually realize is made of collumns The blue sky looks like staring out over the ocean on a clear day, or over the roofs of the hellish identicallity of a subdivision that goes on forever and forces you to raise an alien realitor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll listen to Sorcerer's Apprentice, and I picture anyone other than Mickey Mouse, and it literally works with any character.
Fantasia 2000 was ok, but the only one I honesty remember at all is the mother Nature one and the flying whales.
1693325824391.png

The Cat

Staff member
This is the kind of thing that if you found painted on a wall somewhere, you'd seriously worry whether or not you no clipped into the back rooms.

There is one mickey exception, when he teams up with donald and goofy its usually good for a laught. My favorite is fun and fancy free. Charlie McCarthy's comentary of "Anyone for tall thin mouse?" makes me luahg every time. I also credit that among one of the reasons I like creepy dolls.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the kind of thing that if you found painted on a wall somewhere, you'd seriously worry whether or not you no clipped into the back rooms.

There is one mickey exception, when he teams up with donald and goofy its usually good for a laught. My favorite is fun and fancy free. Charlie McCarthy's comentary of "Anyone for tall thin mouse?" makes me luahg every time. I also credit that among one of the reasons I like creepy dolls.
I always loved Mickey and the Beanstalk -- yup, it's a Goofy + Daffy + Mickey story.

I can't really find it online because it's part of a Disney film and they are really great at cracking down on YouTube and stuff for uploading it.

This is one of the weird things about me -- I'm really dark and complex and semi-cynical about everything and hate over-optimist / polyanna sorts... but I also have this really soft sweet spot where I just like perky and/or happy sweet music on some level sometimes. It's really funny. Like in GotG2, I really liked Wham-Bam-Shang-A-Lang and for RWBY I really like putting Gold on loop.

When I was a kid, I remember reading the picture book along with my little record player (we could rent records from the library all the time) and just playing stuff like this repeatedly. This was the opening song to Mickey & The Beanstalk.

Or like later, when the harp is singing the Giant to sleep and she's directing Mickey and others on where the key is hidden on the Giant's person. I just found it enchanting. it is like one of the few early Mickey things I actually liked. I did watch Walt Disney World every Sunday night when growing up but overall especially as an adult I don't care as much for that kind of Disney stuff... but there are just a few THINGS out there I still love. This still makes my heart kind of soar inside, there's a sweetness to it all and reminds me when all I had to do in the world was read books and listen to stories on my little record player.

1693327770645.png

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I always loved Mickey and the Beanstalk -- yup, it's a Goofy + Daffy + Mickey story.

I can't really find it online because it's part of a Disney film and they are really great at cracking down on YouTube and stuff for uploading it.

This is one of the weird things about me -- I'm really dark and complex and semi-cynical about everything and hate over-optimist / polyanna sorts... but I also have this really soft sweet spot where I just like perky happy sweet music on some level sometimes.

When I was kid, I remember reading the picture book along with my little record player (we could rent records from the library all the time) and just playing stuff like this repeatedly. This was the opening song to Mickey & The Beanstalk.

Me too!

Regarding the harp songs, I think they're so entrancing, is they speak to feelings that can be comprehended even if not experienced organically. I feel like during its classic era Disney included more, shall we say, grumpy, joyless, depressed, bossy people. Mainly because I think Walt was trying to reach a large portion of the population who had grown up during the dust bowl and depression era because for a long time in television and movies, that was the american audience. So the music was more designed to elicit certain emotions, a different kind of longing than the Disney Renaissance that began in The Little Mermaid, or for me The Great Mouse Detective.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The Cat

Staff member

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Rite of Spring was like WTF amazing -- like, it's such a drag and takes forever and is kind of morbid and depressing, but it's also kind of jaw-dropping magnificent on how they double down on tracking death and destruction for the dinosaurs and never let us, roflmao

Those f*ckers -- even THEN
Interesting, you'll notice how the narration at the beginning is very cautious in describing what is about to take place.. The phrase "this is what science thinks happened", or something like that.