• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yeah, I think the film actually includes a lot of allusions to this reality about Hammond, and Attenborough's performance was so great that you can see how he dazzled and inspired so many people for this project despite the lack of proper precaution. I also can't help but think about the mini-sub guy now (which happened over the summer) -- another charismatic guy who viewed himself as a visionary but despised staying on the trodden path and did not appreciate proper oversight and/or inspections because it would get in the way of his "innovations." It's the same old story.

Even seeing Hammond through this lens, the character remains sympathetic to some degree in a way that later Jurassic Park franchise villains do not and in general most villains don't in the way he's presented in the film by the acting and direction.
Why does the book kill off Malcolm, though? I mean, morally speaking. Did you ever notice how many stories kill off people based on how "bad" their actions are considered to be? For instance, it's always the virginal one that survives Jason. Horror movies are the first place I noticed this, but it seems to apply to Jurassic Park, as well?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Why does the book kill off Malcolm, though? I mean, morally speaking. Did you ever notice how many stories kill off people based on how "bad" their actions are considered to be? For instance, it's always the virginal one that survives Jason. Horror movies are the first place I noticed this, but it seems to apply to Jurassic Park, as well?
Malcolm died in the first book off screen, his leg was wrecked, pulverized and cut open in the jungle without proper medical care for days. HOWEVER, this was changed for The Lost World as the Author, liked Malcolm the best(he was a self insert character) So the big two things that got changed was Malcolm lived, and Isla Sorna became the place where the dinosaurs were created. It had nothing to do with "Morally speaking." Morally speaking Malcolm is billed as the character who has it(morality) in spades. This was purely a medical death.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Malcolm died in the first book off screen, his leg was wrecked, pulverized and cut open in the jungle without proper medical care for days. HOWEVER, this was changed for The Lost World as the Author, liked Malcolm the best(he was a self insert character) So the big two things that got changed was Malcolm lived, and Isla Sorna became the place where the dinosaurs were created. It had nothing to do with "Morally speaking." Morally speaking Malcolm is billed as the character who has it(morality) in spades. This was purely a medical death.
Oh. That's very unusual.

The Cat

Staff member
Oh. That's very unusual.
Yeah, iirc, he did not intend to do a sequel but was begged and paid well for one. I think it was his way of motivating himself to write a sequel to a book he felt told the story well enough. The ending of lost world makes a little bit more sense in this context. The first book ended with dinosaurs escaping onto the mainland and secretly living in the rainforests and jungles because they had been getting off the island since they were first on there, because the sterilization process to make them all female never really worked. "Life found a way" presumably accelerated by the genetic engeneering when Wu accidentally made "Real Dinosaurs." Which he tried to warn Hammond, who didnt listen and so on and so on. The Lost world ends with a more implied finality. Michael Crighton seemed to me to prefer writing books in a one and done manner.
Congo, Sphere, The Eaters of the Dead, The Adromeda Strain etc...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, iirc, he did not intend to do a sequel but was begged and paid well for one. I think it was his way of motivating himself to write a sequel to a book he felt told the story well enough. The ending of lost world makes a little bit more sense in this context. The first book ended with dinosaurs escaping onto the mainland and secretly living in the rainforests and jungles because they had been getting off the island since they were first on there, because the sterilization process to make them all female never really worked. "Life found a way" presumably accelerated by the genetic engeneering when Wu accidentally made "Real Dinosaurs." Which he tried to warn Hammond, who didnt listen and so on and so on. The Lost world ends with a more implied finality. Michael Crighton seemed to me to prefer writing books in a one and done manner.
Congo, Sphere, The Eaters of the Dead, The Adromeda Strain etc...
I've heard the movie adaptation of Congo is a big ball of cheese. Sphere certainly is. I like Samuel L. Jackson freaking out and going psycho because he ate a piece of squid.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard the movie adaptation of Congo is a big ball of cheese. Sphere certainly is. I like Samuel L. Jackson freaking out and going psycho because he ate a piece of squid.
Sphere is such an awesome read. Like, I blew through it in a day, and it's like one whammo after the next. it's like a perfect subway book that you'd blow through and can't put down until done, and it's a quick read. I was shocked how much of a hook it was.

The problem is that it's kind of unfilmable at least by the standard industry. Of course they tried to film it anyway, but I think it would take an unconventional filmmaker and some kind of reframing of the story to get it into having a chance to work on screen. TBH, it's one of those films that might have a chance nowadays if an indie filmmaker picked it up (e.g., Alex Garland doing "Annihilation" or Lynne Ramsay's adaptation of "You were Never Really Here").

Congo I was kind of indifferent to as a film. Same with The13th Warrior. I forget whether I liked Rising Sun. I think it was okay.

Kind of weird how big Crichton was, but I think for adaptations from the mid-80's and later, the only one that is really decent is Jurassic Park. Even the rest of the Jurassic films are various flavors of "eh" if not downright disappointing.

The Cat

Staff member
Congo is a wonderful campy movie that perfectly encapsulates the year in which it was made. I reccomend everyone watch it at least once. Bruce Campbell, Ernie Hudson, Tim Curry, Delroy Lindo, and Joe Pantoliano in the same film with some of the best most rediculous scenes in movie history and a lost city and weird practical effect ape suits?

The Cat

Staff member
Sphere is such an awesome read. Like, I blew through it in a day, and it's like one whammo after the next. it's like a perfect subway book that you'd blow through and can't put down until done, and it's a quick read. I was shocked how much of a hook it was.

The problem is that it's kind of unfilmable at least by the standard industry. Of course they tried to film it anyway, but I think it would take an unconventional filmmaker and some kind of reframing of the story to get it into having a chance to work on screen. TBH, it's one of those films that might have a chance nowadays if an indie filmmaker picked it up (e.g., Alex Garland doing "Annihilation" or Lynne Ramsay's adaptation of "You were Never Really Here").

Congo I was kind of indifferent to as a film. Same with The13th Warrior. I forget whether I liked Rising Sun. I think it was okay.

Kind of weird how big Crichton was, but I think for adaptations from the mid-80's and later, the only one that is really decent is Jurassic Park. Even the rest of the Jurassic films are various flavors of "eh" if not downright disappointing.
Very true.

I would love to see Alex Garland remake sphere, and follow the book ALL the way through twist ending and all.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Congo is a wonderful campy movie that perfectly encapsulates the year in which it was made. I reccomend everyone watch it at least once. Bruce Campbell, Ernie Hudson, Tim Curry, Delroy Lindo, and Joe Pantoliano in the same film with some of the best most rediculous scenes in movie history and a lost city and weird practical effect ape suits?
That sounds incredible. I remember when it came out and how I wanted to see it because it was by the guy responsible for Jurassic Park but that R-rating reduced me to only seeing snippets of it on VHS.

The Cat

Staff member
That sounds incredible. I remember when it came out and how I wanted to see it because it was by the guy responsible for Jurassic Park but that R-rating reduced me to only seeing snippets of it on VHS.
The soundtrack kinda slaps too Lebo M was busy in the mid 90's
It's so quotable with 90's action catch phrases.
It's right up there with The Phantom and The Shadow for me.​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Laura Linney is so young!
And that accent by Tim Curry -- roflmao.

Bruce Campbell, Ernie Hudson, Tim Curry, Delroy Lindo, and Joe Pantoliano in the same film with some of the best most rediculous scenes in movie history and a lost city and weird practical effect ape suits?

Well, come on -- you also have Laura Linney, Joe Don Baker, John Hawkes, Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje, and... Jimmy Buffet??? Aside from Buffet, these are actually high-quality cast in a crazy movie with ape suits.

Metascore: 22
Rotten Tomatoes: 20%
Audience RT: 29%

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just saw Barbie. A terrible thing happened. My balls fell off and rolled down the aisle, and somebody stomped on them just as I was about to retrieve them. Don't see Barbie guys. It ain't worth it.

In actuality, the movie is quite good. There are many awesome bits of social satire. My favorite joke was about the endless guitar playing; I imagine many women have been on a date like this where the guitar playing just goes on, and on, and on. There's also many absurdist elements, which I wasn't expecting. This movie did everything I suspected it would do, which is fine by me.

And yes, definitely see where the controversy is coming from. If you throw around the word "patriarchy" in a movie marketed towards kids, "traditional values" people are going to see it as a crisis. This movie was taking the piss at the manosphere and I loved that; but the very fact that they did that is going to anger those people.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
who would have ever expected the self-proclaimed battle-hardened warriors of the alt-right to be such snowflakes?

I'm glad to see Ben Shapiro's really been enjoying it. I mean, I only saw it once, but he's heading towards his fourth viewing if this keeps up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I bought a ticket to Blue Beetle for Tuesday 4pm. It's the same theater I saw Barbie in, only 5 minutes or so from my house, and it was only $7 + $2 convenience fee = $9 for the ticket.... as compared to $15.50 and a 20 minute drive before.

It's a small theater so they will only get the big stuff in (I'll have to look elsewhere for most indie stuff) but.... nice pricing there. I'm not necessarily into the film as much, but wanted to contribute to the box office and it's so much cheaper. I don't think I would have paid $15 for it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FB_IMG_1692581819155.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was scanning through old posts in the Random Thoughts Thread, and saw myself asserting that there is no other choice to play Wario than Danny DeVito.

This is still true. I'd prefer live action, though. It could be as iconic as the Penguin.

I should just get into casting. That's gotta be easy to break into, right?

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I was scanning through old posts in the Random Thoughts Thread, and saw myself asserting that there is no other choice to play Wario than Danny DeVito.

This is still true. I'd prefer live action, though. It could be as iconic as the Penguin.

I should just get into casting. That's gotta be easy to break into, right?

Be Easy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blue Beetle was a nice little film, and more consistent than The Flash was. It does start kind of thin, but in its favor it never lingers too long there and develops quite a heart by the end of the film. I still feel kind of underwhelmed by it, but it was interesting that the family was as important in the plot line as the hero -- kind of like Disney/Pixar doing a superhero film in that sense.

I'm not aware of this iteration of the character, I guess there is some comic book background for Reyes -- I only really knew Ted Kord, whose absence plays an important role in the film and there's a lot of callback to that iteration of Beetle as well. Sarandon doesn't particularly do anything unexpected, she can walk this part in her sleep and I found her villain in Enchanted more interesting. But hey for a $7 ticket where I had the theater all to myself, it was nice enough.