• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can somebody explain to me what the decision making process was regarding Batwoman? It's my understanding that the movie was practically finished (Also B v S sucked, but that didn't stop them from releasing that). I don't understand from a business perspective why you would just not release a movie that's finished.

I know the movie has become yet another touch point in the woke wars, but that doesn't interest me. This has more to do with my dislike of Zaslav.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Can somebody explain to me what the decision making process was regarding Batwoman? It's my understanding that the movie was practically finished (Also B v S sucked, but that didn't stop them from releasing that). I don't understand from a business perspective why you would just not release a movie that's finished.

I know the movie has become yet another touch point in the woke wars, but that doesn't interest me. This has more to do with my dislike of Zaslav.
Let me show you:
your outrage fuels the buzz machine. There's literally nothing but strike happening in hollywood rn, so they take their buzz where they can get it.​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am so there. This looks glorious enough that it will either be amazing or horrific and I just have to see it unfold.

It's like this mashup of Star Wars, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, 300, and Jupiter Ascending. It's also visually stunning, lol!!

simpsons-dreamy.gif

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let me show you:
your outrage fuels the buzz machine. There's literally nothing but strike happening in hollywood rn, so they take their buzz where they can get it.​
But they would lose less money if they released it. Somebody would go see it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As best as I understand it, it was one or both of the possibilities that (1) the film was really below par, too bad to release AND/OR (2) WB was reassessing their brand and release strategies at the time, and they would save more money / refocus themselves by declaring the film a financial loss in their accounting books rather than releasing it and trying to get ticket/merchandise dollars. i.e., it was an accounting decision used to balance off other debt / issues they were having. Batgirl was not the ONLY project they did this to, which is why it seemed possibly a money decision and using projects to create loss on the books (just like the wealthy declare huge losses on certain investments on purpose to offset taxes).

I really have no idea what the quality was. I've seen people say it was great, I've seen people said it was unviewable.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Awesone ending, awesome movie. Speaks to my dark and cynical side. The main character does the right thing, but does not get the romance in the end. In fact, his love interest walks right past, saying nothing. But why would she do anything else? Why would she go with him after he led the police to take down her criminal lover, after all? Sometimes people fall deeply in love with awful people, after all. This person was probably her one true love.

I like that the movie establishes that you don't always get rewarded for being the hero. It seems so anti-Code. Were they a British production and that was how they got away with this?

The music and photography is awesome, too. Many scenes are filmed at odd angles, suggesting that the whole order of the universe has been upended and everything is slipping away into oblivion, an existential void.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ I remember enjoying that film far more than I expected when I watched in on a lark - and hey, Orson Welles! I really liked the ending as well. It felt so much more real to me than the happy ending stuff.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
So I watched the VVitch today. I'm glad that poor girl got teh good ending. Sucks she had to endure so much loss. Love the slow burn, felt like the way i grew up in a lot of ways. good film

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I watched the VVitch today. I'm glad that poor girl got teh good ending. Sucks she had to endure so much loss. Love the slow burn, felt like the way i grew up in a lot of ways. good film
Haven't seen this one, but you should watch The Lighthouse (which I think you would enjoy), and the Green Knight, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haven't seen this one, but you should watch The Lighthouse (which I think you would enjoy), and the Green Knight, if you haven't already.
All great films, although the Lighthouse is kind of a fever dream. I need to rewatch, I got the 4K but haven't watched it since I saw it in the theater.

Yeah, the VVitch is where I fell in love with Anya Taylor-Joy as an actress, she just radiated talent -- and at such a young age. She's pretty much proven it now too, she elevates whatever she is in, even when it sucks.

The theater went dead silent when she goes into the shed for the last time. I have trouble recalling when I've felt such ecstasy in terms of a film payoff, when we finally hear that voice. Total WOW moment.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Son came to visit, we ended up watching Darabont's "The Mist" and then later Spielberg's "AI" neither of which he had seen.

I don't recall if I had ever watched The Mist through entirely. I am going to guess that this was Darabont's test run for doing Walking Dead a few years later, especially considering a few of the cast ended up in his Walking Dead cast as well. Up to that point, he'd done Shawshank and Green Mile, but those are King's least supernatural horror works in general. The Mist is actually very effective in how it's shot (and uses handheld a lot), it keeps musical background to a minimum (often there is no score) because the dialogue and visuals are more than enough, and relies on the obfuscation of the mist to build tension.

While the weakest aspect of the film is its CGI, that holds up better than I had recalled (it was 2007) for a budget of only $18 million. obviously it does have its monster moments, but the bulk of the film is how the impromptu community holed up inside of the grocery store is self-organizing into smaller pockets + how it quickly devolves once there is a clear threat and one person (no matter how batshit crazy) who offers some kind of clarity and protection and tribal identity. Everyone is coping differently under stress.

It also manages to be a "feel bad" movie compared even to the original novella (which other than the ending it is actually pretty faithful towards). Uggh.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm 23 years old and have never watched Beauty and the Beast. Until yesterday. Belle is a very well written character, but all I really care about is the teacup family and Cogsworth. I want to take Chip home with me and drink tea even if he keeps spilling it. I love seeing how they portray old France even if it's not entirely accurate, also Gaston is disgusting and probably smells like eggs.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm 23 years old and have never watched Beauty and the Beast. Until yesterday. Belle is a very well written character, but all I really care about is the teacup family and Cogsworth. I want to take Chip home with me and drink tea even if he keeps spilling it. I love seeing how they portray old France even if it's not entirely accurate, also Gaston is disgusting and probably smells like eggs.
Haha, I saw it in theaters when it first came out. I was in kindergarten. (I'm laughing at my oldness.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also can swear that saw Fantasia in theaters at some point, but I also swear I'm not that old.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am so there. This looks glorious enough that it will either be amazing or horrific and I just have to see it unfold.

It's like this mashup of Star Wars, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, 300, and Jupiter Ascending. It's also visually stunning, lol!!

View attachment 29275
I thought the trailer for this was more interesting:

Last edited:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, I saw it in theaters when it first came out. I was in kindergarten. (I'm laughing at my oldness.)
I was in middle school when it came out. (1991) :sage:

Never saw a Disney movie in a movie theater though, as far as I can remember. Other animation, yes, but never Disney. When I took my daughter to her first movie ever a few years ago, it was Shaun the Sheep 2 and her school class later also went to see non-Disney stuff.

Oh, and my first visit to a movie theater was An American Tail (1986) (called "Feivel, der Mauswander" - Feivel the Mouse-Emigrant - in German, it's a pun)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Awesone ending, awesome movie. Speaks to my dark and cynical side. The main character does the right thing, but does not get the romance in the end. In fact, his love interest walks right past, saying nothing. But why would she do anything else? Why would she go with him after he led the police to take down her criminal lover, after all? Sometimes people fall deeply in love with awful people, after all. This person was probably her one true love.

I like that the movie establishes that you don't always get rewarded for being the hero. It seems so anti-Code. Were they a British production and that was how they got away with this?

The music and photography is awesome, too. Many scenes are filmed at odd angles, suggesting that the whole order of the universe has been upended and everything is slipping away into oblivion, an existential void.
You have heard of Casablanca? :D

I think it was part of the spirit of the time that we all have to make certain sacrifices for things that are bigger than our own personal interests.
I can also think of a bunch of noirs where the (anti)hero does not "get the girl".