• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rabid Feminist Becomes the Next Dr. Who (Is this finally The End?)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Doctor has no preference for gender since Time Lords don't have. ;)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How does the next doctor being a women makes her a rabid feminist?

Atomic Fiend

How does the next doctor being a women makes her a rabid feminist?

When seen through the eyes of a radical, any moderate change in the opposite direction is viewed as a radical oppositional challange. She may not be a rabid feminist, but she will be viewed as such because she to the eyes of these assclowns, is representative them.

And if she is a lesbian? So? Is the TARDIS going to become the temple of doom for men? Will it be adorned with the severed members of human, Sontaran, Timelord males etc? The new companion is a man. Know that? Is the doctor going to knee him in the groin every week and remind him how inept and barbaric his gender is with a long winded monologue? Damn. Relax. Besides, regardless of whatever Jodie Whittaker's personal preferences and views of men are, she's playing the doctor, she's not writing the part.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm yet to find the problem with the new doctor being a woman. And regardless of the actress personal views, she is a professional and her personal life isn't connected to her work, particularly because she's not the characters' writer. And even if she is a "rabid feminist", so what? As long as she is a good actress and do well the job, it doesn't make any difference.

Oh my god, a woman playing the doctor!! Let's go out and burn our mattress in the middle of the street! The end is near!!!!!!!

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I get believing that men and women are equal, but if she has rabies shouldn't she be in the hospital?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really give a shit. It doesn't seem to violate the rules of time lords, so what's the issue? We have female starship captains too, no biggie. Let us not forget the bravery of Captain Kate Red Mulgrew. She was the second most badass, after Sisko.

The whole "as a feminist" announcement by the actress makes me cringe a bit. I still don't give a shit. Do your job, do it well, don't pander to ideological sensibilities and I think the Doctor Who Universe will survive just fine. None of this 'wink wink, move over boys' shit. Make her seem above that, not mired in it, otherwise you reduce the character to a token prop, and that seems contrary to the nature of Dr Who, who is awesome in spite of the form he or she takes, not because of the form he or she takes--that last point was sort of my issue with Ghostbusters, that I never really cared they were women, but it became all about the fact they were women, that was the big gimmick and selling point and it actually diminished them, IMHO; Rey in Star Wars on the other hand, or Furiosa in Mad Max are cool as hell, no one made a big deal about their genders, they were badasses because they were competent, not because of their genitals.

Lark

The end of Dr Who has been predicted a lot of times, to be honest it deserved to be ended multiple times too, especially since it was revamped and they have had such a problem creating characters or having actors put in a performance similar enough to that of the TV show's originators, then they couldnt write story arcs that lasted more than two episodes and if they did was truly awful anyway. To be honest I think they have been actively "mining" older story lines and characters or material for quite some time too. You'd actually be much better just finding the original series episodes which featured whatever the characters or beasts were and watch them instead.

Its a shame because some of the modern CGI effects, done properly, really could improve on the original effects, which were often done within pretty limited budgets.

That said I was disappointed by the whole Dr Who becoming the latest PC vehicle, its no surprise, its just a shame that everything, absolutely everything, has to be propaganda of some shape or description instead of just being entertainment.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hydrophobia and uncontrollable agressive tendencies sound like interesting traits for a time traveler, but it would be rather a big break from reality if a rabid doctor had the presence of mind to use the tard(is) properly, as would being able to hold onto feminist ideals... this sounds like terrible fan fiction, rather than a serious pitch for a show...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The end of Dr Who has been predicted a lot of times, to be honest it deserved to be ended multiple times too, especially since it was revamped and they have had such a problem creating characters or having actors put in a performance similar enough to that of the TV show's originators, then they couldnt write story arcs that lasted more than two episodes and if they did was truly awful anyway. To be honest I think they have been actively "mining" older story lines and characters or material for quite some time too. You'd actually be much better just finding the original series episodes which featured whatever the characters or beasts were and watch them instead.

Its a shame because some of the modern CGI effects, done properly, really could improve on the original effects, which were often done within pretty limited budgets.

That said I was disappointed by the whole Dr Who becoming the latest PC vehicle, its no surprise, its just a shame that everything, absolutely everything, has to be propaganda of some shape or description instead of just being entertainment.

I didn't sense any propaganda or pandering (Not to the levels that we saw in the ghostbusters marketing, where we saw photos being released of female crew and cast members holding "girl power" signs and shit) aside from the actresses' comments "as a women; as a feminist" and that didn't seem directed by some insidious propaganda campaign, it just strikes me as odd, not much different than some newly elected politician saying "as a Christian..." It makes me a bit uncomfortable when people need to point out and emphasize their ideological or religious beliefs when referring to a job they're going to do or are doing, as though they might see their job as part of some bigger plan and vehicle to advance personal beliefs. It would be one thing if their job were very specific and related to their ideology, i.e. a new Cardinal/Preacher or Emma Watson making a note of her feminism when speaking on it at the U.N. in which case more power to them I suppose.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I much don't care for ideological pronouncements, although when a particular threshold has been crossed, it can be expected that someone will comment on it as a barrier that has now been broken.

But as I noted before, it shouldn't even be viewed as a political thing. it seemed like Doctor Who took a masculine form originally because that was the convention at the time for all this stuff. It wasn't to say something about men, or because a Time Lord had to be male, or even that every incarnation of a Time Lord or Doctor Who in particular had to be one gender or another; it was just done that way because that was how it was being done and because it had always been done that way. In fact, this process they developed to introduce a replacement actor for the Doctor gave them a lot of flexibility in how the character manifests... and isn't scifi is really about?

How many scifi books have characters exploring life from either gender? It runs at least as far back as Heinlein and no doubt further. Chalker did it a ton, although it was hard to know what he thought about it since women were typically at a disadvantage in his stories... maybe that was a comment on the social disadvantage?

So the Time Lord reincarnation is much like the Trill symbionts in Star Trek. The body can change, the essence just manifests itself through the host form. It not only makes sense, it almost seems necessary for the host form to make some radical shifts. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the Doctor as Asian or black? What about as a young boy rather than as a grown man? How would people's reactions to him change? It could be pretty fascinating... and that kind of exploration is part and parcel of real science fiction.

I'm kind of surprised it took 13 incarnations to the Doctor to not be a white Brit male on a serious basis (aside from Lumley in the Comic Relief sketch), considering the genre.

if the genders want to trade, I guess women can hand over the character Little Annie Fannie to become Little Arnie. :smile: