• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Polyamorous relationships?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Totally valid. Not for me. Hard to keep unmessy from what I've heard from people who have been in them. Lots of power plays and other weird control dynamics. That's not to say they can't be successful, but I think tha maturity and levels of health of the people involved is paramount.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm not going to stop anyone, but I think for every one "enlightened" group doing it right, there are probably nine more that are just awful and fraught with complication. Although to be fair, that rule probably applies to pairings as well. :newwink:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The hardest part is finding the right people. Would be easy for me to be in one :shrug:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No and not because I have any issue with it. I only have so many hours in a day and so much energy to devote to a partner. It wouldn't be fair for me to try to divide my time between other people in that kind of relationship. One ENFJ is all I can handle at the moment.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think most people find it hard to maintain an intimate relationship with one person. More people just increases the complexity. Still, I think it should be allowed for those who are so inclined and able/willing to make it work.

I know a polyamorous family of 3 adults who among them have 4 kids, and have been together for I think 14 years now. In most respects they are just another family, going to work, seeing to their kids, being good neighbors and citizens, etc.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would be open to a triad or quad relationship as long as there's mutual attraction between all parties.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No and not because I have any issue with it. I only have so many hours in a day and so much energy to devote to a partner. It wouldn't be fair for me to try to divide my time between other people in that kind of relationship. One ENFJ is all I can handle at the moment.

I think 2 is good for me, 3 is pushing it. Same reason...I don't have the time for more and have good solid relationship where everyone is satisfied. I havnt really looked much, current doesn't mind sharing me in any shape form or fashion and I have no issues in keeping her very satisfied relationship wise. If I get in the dumps things get harder because my want to goes down and I don't do as much as normal relationship wise. It would have to be someone who all 3 of us hung out though or I am with you in that between family and work I wouldn't have time for much of a solid relationship on the side. Would just enough up as friends with benefits and that's not what I as thinking as the poly of the title.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it seems like it is even easier than in monogamous relationships to never really have to face yourself and own your process of learning how to be enough for yourself. the sp instinct in me cringes.

with this said, i tend to err the other way. i'm sure in many ways it would be really good for me to open up a bit and attempt to create/explore a more complex, balanced set of equalities.

ultimately, it comes down to whether you're listening to your insides and your outsides, your self and the other, your core and your story, together. bc otherwise what we do tends to ignore and obscure the needs that spark everything we do. and it becomes very difficult to actually observe ourselves clearly and have any sense of why we do what we do.

(i also tend to always envision this situation with like an sx/so or so/sx and then maybe one more sx surrounded by so/sps. their lack of sx MINE speaking up on behalf of them sometimes troubles me, but i guess it can become good when it's tied to a way of being part of something. i still can't imagine what it would be like not needing PRIORITY. my self-importance needs are too high for that and are one area where a relationship is a nice break from all that sp work of letting go of the desire for that every damn day, hour, minute.)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could have an open relationship provided both parties have consensus but I don't personally see the appeal of poly relationships.
I mean, I already get cold taking a shower with one person. Adding another would just cause hot water power struggles.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could have an open relationship provided both parties have consensus but I don't personally see the appeal of poly relationships.
I mean, I already get cold taking a shower with one person. Adding another would just cause hot water power struggles.

I just add more heads