• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Relationships between cognitive abilities and personality traits

ygolo

My termites win

Again, I don't put much stock in these things. But, it's an interesting amount of data.

ygolo

My termites win
Of relevance, I wanted to find out what this General Factor of Personality is.

Again, I don't put much stock in this stuff. The statistics show what they show, sure. But there are machine learning models that are just statistics that showed that many dark skinned people had no face. Again, I don't put much stock in this.

ygolo

My termites win
I should mention. I find it weird that there are no negative correlations, or that they are not visualized.

ygolo

My termites win
Yet another study that, in not so subtle terms, that says Open, Conscientious, Extraverted, and Agreeable are positively correlated with lots of good things. In this case, neuroticism is also positively correlated. Why don't personality researchers openly come out and say "people like me are good, here is my proof. Trust me. I am unbiased."?

Still more reason why I hate thinking about personality. I may be running on too little sleep.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Yet another study that, in not so subtle terms, that says Open, Conscientious, Extraverted, and Agreeable are positively correlated with lots of good things. [...snipped]

Extraverted, Open, Agreeable, and Conscientious on the Big Five test correspond more or less to Extraversion, iNtuition, Feeling, and Judging on the MBTI.* Put them together, and you get ENFJ.

I think it's reasonable to say that Extraversion, iNtuition, Feeling, and Judging are the most pro-social cognitive functions, in that they will meet with the most social approval in Western society. But that doesn't mean that they are the best for every situation or career.

Just to provide one example:

Dr. Jordan Peterson is a controversial political figure, but he's also an accomplished clinical psychologist and has taught at Harvard. He has studied personality traits extensively and even created his own personality tests. He says that he is an ENFJ by his own accounting (high in Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness on the Big Five test), and he largely agrees that those qualities are the healthiest and most pro-social. But, for example, he also argues that Western values often punish excessive Agreeableness (which is Feeling on MBTI). To spell it out: Many aspects of the Western world reward competitiveness and drive and punish excessive compliance and generosity (in the sense of being a doormat). Hence Dr. Peterson's own rather combative politics: He says that some things just need to be fought out rather than compromised (in other words, Competitiveness is often preferable to Agreeableness).

In summary, it's a mixed bag. All these cognitive functions and their usefulness depend on context and what you want to accomplish with your life.

* Here's a link to an article in Wikipedia describing the correlation (see the section entitled "Big Five"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Briggs_Type_Indicator#Correlations_with_other_instruments

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
[] He says that he is an ENFJ by his own accounting (high in Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness on the Big Five test), and he largely agrees that those qualities are the healthiest and most pro-social. []
This is the theme in personality research. I've pointed it out so many times on this site.

IOW, "people like me are good, here is my proof. Trust me. I am unbiased."