• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Let them eat cake". (B/M)illionare CEOs reactions to inflation

ygolo

My termites win
I have read about multiple CEOs (including Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk) making disparaging remarks around remote work.

Here's yet another:

Among Millennials, Zuckerberg by himself has a significant portion of the wealth of that generation. I don't agree with may people's characterization of these people as parasites or freeloaders, but to say that they are taking an outsided portion of the world's resources is pretty accurate.

I believe genocides and coups of the past, in France, Germany, Rwanda, and even the insurrection on Jan 6th in the US are symptoms of frustration directed towards I'll ends. They are examples of labor-type collapse of societies.

Out of touch comments like the one linked abound. There lower level executives and managers who make similar comments. Pundits on shows make similar comments.

I, for one, especially for people who do most of their work on the cloud, believe people can spend a lot less time commuting, and spending much more time with family.

My mom has been able to work remotely, and spend time with her granddaughter, and with me when I was sick. I was able to actually do work despite being to dizzy to drive.

Forcing people back to the office is taking the world of work backwards.

I understand that there are somethings that require a person being some particular place at some particular time. But if you spend your time writing documents and writing code, I don't feel like that qualifies.

If people's loyalties are shifting away from corporations and their teams towards family and friends, I believe it's actually a very healthy thing for society.

The scapegoating of remote work for incompetent management and greedy rent-seeking is I would say a sign to vote with your feet.

Taito

Dissolving
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone who supports Biden is a Fascist.

Vendrah

Never-retiring Millenial
MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
A relevant counterpoint to both the greedy CEO stereotype and the sociopathic boomer trope:
"He could have lowered the price on his products at any time and reduced the profits of the company while still making good money. For the most part Patagonia has become a status symbol for out door gear because of it's exorbitant price. Most of it is made off shore with cheap labor and materials."

ygolo

My termites win
"He could have lowered the price on his products at any time and reduced the profits of the company while still making good money. For the most part Patagonia has become a status symbol for out door gear because of it's exorbitant price. Most of it is made off shore with cheap labor and materials."
People can change their minds and their ways. At least we hope. People are in general flawed. Just hoping for movement in less harmful directions.

Besides, like the article says, this isn't "woke capitalism", just capitalism moving in more egalitarian directions. I was in search of a counterpoint to my own initial thoughts.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Out of touch comments like the one linked abound. There lower level executives and managers who make similar comments. Pundits on shows make similar comments.

I, for one, especially for people who do most of their work on the cloud, believe people can spend a lot less time commuting, and spending much more time with family.

My mom has been able to work remotely, and spend time with her granddaughter, and with me when I was sick. I was able to actually do work despite being to dizzy to drive.

Forcing people back to the office is taking the world of work backwards.

I understand that there are somethings that require a person being some particular place at some particular time. But if you spend your time writing documents and writing code, I don't feel like that qualifies.

If people's loyalties are shifting away from corporations and their teams towards family and friends, I believe it's actually a very healthy thing for society.

The scapegoating of remote work for incompetent management and greedy rent-seeking is I would say a sign to vote with your feet.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here -- mostly what has been thrown out of whack is the real-estate space economy. Certain jobs can very easily work remote and the primary savings here involves (1) reduced travel times and (2) location costs. When people don't have to commute for hours a day, it gives them time to focus on other things of importance and allows for a better work/life balance. Not all jobs can be remote but COVID at least let it prove in real-time which ones are actually suitable. It also means people can do things like work at home while waiting for service guys to show up (plumber, electrician, home fixing, package delivery) rather than just not working at all. Doctor appointments are easily to fit into the day too.

Not everything is perfect with remote work. Even with my job working very well online, sometimes it was easier for certain tasks to just visit someone in their cube to discuss and looking at tangible prints, or to have a conference room meeting. It's a little more difficult to get that online, and you also have to make sure you communicate better versus just expecting to overhear conversations or having someone stop by in your cube, etc. I guess the final thing is mostly F2F contact. I miss office parties for birthdays, and getting to know new hires face to face, and getting more exercise because I had to actually walk around more, etc.

I've been working from home since March 2020 and am overall happy. Government had been mostly resistant to accepting telework and we had been stuck at 2 days a week, until COVID proved we could release software entirely remotely and do our jobs.

I have trouble having sympathy for Musk and others when they tear into telework.

Let's face it. I give the 40+ hours of my life a week, and I work hard at home even if it's remote. It makes it more endurable because I can get up to get a soda easily, use the bathroom as needed, answer an important phone call, play music, tossing lunch in the microwave, but I am working. It's actually common for people in my role to remote work more often but government had been resistant. (Our prior Commissioner under Trump was anti-telework and trying to take it away, but he was still bragging about using a Blackberry and didn't even understand Systems.) I work with some of the most hardest-working people I've met in my life but they don't also feel the need to be on call 24/7.

The thing is not everyone wants to be all-consumed by work and be a billionaire or entrepreneur. Some of us just want our fair pay, then we have other values in life that make life worth living. Also, some people just don't have personalities that allow for working insane hours or 80 hours a week without them falling to pieces eventually. Some of the things these guys impose on their work force are just ridiculous.

Last edited:

ceecee

Dunkin Enthusiast
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here -- mostly what has been thrown out of whack is the real-estate space economy. Certain jobs can very easily work remote and the primary savings here involves (1) reduced travel times and (2) location costs. When people don't have to commute for hours a day, it gives them time to focus on other things of importance and allows for a better work/life balance. Not all jobs can be remote but COVID at least let it prove in real-time which ones are actually suitable. It also means people can do things like work at home while waiting for service guys to show up (plumber, electrician, home fixing, package delivery) rather than just not working at all. Doctor appointments are easily to fit into the day too.

Not everything is perfect with remote work. Even with my job working very well online, sometimes it was easier for certain tasks to just visit someone in their cube to discuss and looking at tangible prints, or to have a conference room meeting. It's a little more difficult to get that online, and you also have to make sure you communicate better versus just expecting to overhear conversations or having someone stop by in your cube, etc. I guess the final thing is mostly F2F contact. I miss office parties for birthdays, and getting to know new hires face to face, and getting more exercise because I had to actually walk around more, etc.

I've been working from home since March 2020 and am overall happy. Government had been mostly resistant to accepting telework and we had been stuck at 2 days a week, until COVID proved we could release software entirely remotely and do our jobs.

I have trouble having sympathy for Musk and others when they tear into telework.

Let's face it. I give the 40+ hours of my life a week, and I work hard at home even if it's remote. It makes it more endurable because I can get up to get a soda easily, use the bathroom as needed, answer an important phone call, play music, tossing lunch in the microwave, but I am working. It's actually common for people in my role to remote work more often but government had been resistant. (Our prior Commissioner under Trump was anti-telework and trying to take it away, but he was still bragging about using a Blackberry and didn't even understand Systems.) I work with some of the most hardest-working people I've met in my life but they don't also feel the need to be on call 24/7.

The thing is not everyone wants to be all-consumed by work and be a billionaire or entrepreneur. Some of us just want our fair pay, then we have other values in life that make life worth living. Also, some people just don't have personalities that allow for working insane hours or 80 hours a week without them falling to pieces eventually. Some of the things these guys impose on their work force are just ridiculous.
I would say most of us aren't looking to become a billionaire or feel opening a business is the only option (instead of focusing on why there are so few options). I've worked remotely for some time. I like the flexibility but I work just as hard as anyone in an office. After finding out just how much the National Association of Realtors lobbying arm has to do with the return to the office bullshit, I'm much more inclined to dig in and push to continue working remotely. I understand the concern some have with the blurring of lines between work time and off time but that's often a boundaries issue just as much as an overreaching boss or company.

ygolo

My termites win
Another scapegoat CEOs uses for inflation is wage growth, which is ridiculous given the history.