• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJ dealing with Alzheimer's Parent

Amber

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hello everyone,

I have recently been thrown into a position I am not exactly comfortable with (my guess is because I'm an ISTJ and want to plan every move at every moment) and was hoping some people in this forum could help. My mom was just diagnosed with early-onset alzheimers. Being that this disease is variably progressive, I was just wondering if there are any other people on here (I guess mainly STs) that have dealt with problems like this where you couldn't plan for the future but have had to deal with it anyway.

The most frustrating thing for me, I think, is that I know where this will end up eventually...and yet I have no idea what to do right now. Generally, once I am faced with a problem, I make a plan of attack and start working towards it whether that be coping or fixing it. But with this, I see the end and there is no stopping it. I should be living in the now and appreciating the time that we still have but I'm completely uncomfortable doing that without having a way to change anything. I'm actually feeling a little bit withdrawn from my Mom because I don't know how to handle this. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this dilemma and perhaps if they can shed any light on how I can become more comfortable dealing with this.

....a plan of attack...so to speak. ::rolls eyes:: ...of course that's what I'm looking for.