• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP or INFP?

Fernando Perla

MBTI Type
ENFP

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But it may be just my Si, in which case I would be an INFP.

- - - Updated - - -

:notype: :beathorse: *sighs* Okay, I'm going to rather blunt, if not harsh. Your thread is 13 pages now and many typists have given their opinion. You have this habit of contradicting them. 'But it may be this or it may be that'. After 13 pages it's insulting and repetitive. If you think you're more INFP, then fine. A lot of people don't get this amount of devotion and help with their type. Personally, you're an ISFP. The hands on thing is not tert Si, it just isn't. Tert Si revisits things from the past, trips up Ne with yearning to go to the same places or watch the same movie/tv show again. When an INxP is upset they seek familiar things for comfort. Again, it has zilch to do with being hands on.

I'm walking away from this thread because I just feel you're not hearing/understanding or wanting to understand the help from these wonderful typists. I'd love and respect the kind of help they've given you. If you want to be an INFP, then fine, you are.

:offtopic: Sorry mods for the harshness. I understand if there's punishment but I feel this had to be said.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

- - - Updated - - -

What does Si tertiary look like in reality?

Fernando Perla

MBTI Type
ENFP
:notype: :beathorse: *sighs* Okay, I'm going to rather blunt, if not harsh. Your thread is 13 pages now and many typists have given their opinion. You have this habit of contradicting them. 'But it may be this or it may be that'. After 13 pages it's insulting and repetitive. If you think you're more INFP, then fine. A lot of people don't get this amount of devotion and help with their type. Personally, you're an ISFP. The hands on thing is not tert Si, it just isn't. Tert Si revisits things from the past, trips up Ne with yearning to go to the same places or watch the same movie/tv show again. When an INxP is upset they seek familiar things for comfort. Again, it has zilch to do with being hands on.

I'm walking away from this thread because I just feel you're not hearing/understanding or wanting to understand the help from these wonderful typists. I'd love and respect the kind of help they've given you. If you want to be an INFP, then fine, you are.

:offtopic: Sorry mods for the harshness. I understand if there's punishment but I feel this had to be said.

I am very sorry.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I am very sorry.

There's no need to apologize. It's ok to ask questions, and it's your thread; it can be 100 pages long if you want to keep exploring the questions.

The brevity of your replies and the nature of them really leans me to ISFP for you. What have you read though to help you understand the differences between Ne and Se?

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am very sorry.

No need to be sorry. It's understandable that you want to be sure of your type. At the same time anyone who types you is going to be frustrated if you can't decide on which is right. The problem is most likely that you are not clear on how you would decide if a type is correct for you. Since you are stuck between INFP and ISFP, maybe the proper question to ask is what would satisfy you that you are one or the other. This could be done through dichotomies, or functions, but if you can't decide what would confirm it for you then you could be going round and round for quite a while.

rainybisto

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w5
*nods yes* Sensors are more hands on. Plus you're an enneagram 4 and ISFPs and INFPs get that a lot. I would even say that being a 4 would explain why you may feel like INFP at times.

Agree.

*just addition for fernando perla: It doesn't matter you're sensor or intuitive, everyone has both for their use. Especially when they're both on the middle (aux and tert), then you might use them more undifferentiatedly.

Fernando Perla

MBTI Type
ENFP
There's no need to apologize. It's ok to ask questions, and it's your thread; it can be 100 pages long if you want to keep exploring the questions.

The brevity of your replies and the nature of them really leans me to ISFP for you. What have you read though to help you understand the differences between Ne and Se?

OK, so... how can I finally get this off my chest? Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to be sorry. It's understandable that you want to be sure of your type. At the same time anyone who types you is going to be frustrated if you can't decide on which is right. The problem is most likely that you are not clear on how you would decide if a type is correct for you. Since you are stuck between INFP and ISFP, maybe the proper question to ask is what would satisfy you that you are one or the other. This could be done through dichotomies, or functions, but if you can't decide what would confirm it for you then you could be going round and round for quite a while.

OK, so... how can I finally get this off my chest? Thank you.

Permabanned

yep.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@ OP

I kind of agree with others that a lot of people have given wonderful input in this thread, and while I can understand not being certain on which functions are preferred, or relating to elements of both types, it also kind of seems to me that you're waiting for a miracle answer that just makes everything snap into place so that you definitively 100% know without a doubt you're one and only one type. And... I'm not sure you're going to ever get that. Ultimately you'll need to seriously take everyone's input to heart, decide which you think is most valuable, and make a decision on which type/functions you think you PREFER. (mbti does not mean you are incapable of doing other things -- it's about *preferences*)

I'll share one brief anecdote, and you can take it or leave it, but I think it'll be the only thing I add to this thread.

Last weekend I was hanging out a few days with an INFP friend. We have quite a few interests in common, and had convos about books, 'bigger' more 'N' type life purpose/direction discussion, other sorts of things. Meaning -- ISFP's are quite capable and can quite enjoy these sorts of talks, and ISFP does not mean you can't be incredibly insightful, interesting/aware of theory and other such things, enjoy personal growth, and so on.

However one thing struck me as super interesting. At one point he was flipping through a book I made last year, filled with my photographs and writings of all of the things I've seen on hiking, natural history, flowers, birds, my describing the changing of the seasons in the mountains, what one sees and how things change from one week to the next, and so on. All very sensory, very *real* things. When he finished the book he put it down and his response was, "WHOA. I just had Lynn goggles on and saw the world as you see it." I found this funny / enlightening, as I quite honestly am surprised when people don't notice things I notice, haha. I then asked, well, what do you see or notice when you go on hikes? And his response was, well, I don't really notice anything. Which I found really strange -- it's like totally opposite of me. He then elaborated, saying, well, he guessed he paid attention to where he was walking, but.. he doesn't notice or pay attention to basically everything I notice and pay attention to. I found it extremely illuminating in terms of mbti/typology.

In a similar vein, while on the hike, I mentioned offhand 'These flowers were at peak maybe 10 days ago'. He was like..'Were you here last week?' (He basically didn't understand how I could know that) Then I explained no, but based on 7 years of hiking I'm aware of where all of the flowers bloom, the timeframe, how it varies from a wet year to a dry year, and so on, so I'm pretty certain/ I 'know' they were at peak about 7-10 days earlier, by how they looked the day I saw them.

In short -- conversationally INFP/ISFP can have a lot of similarities, but the SeNi for ISFP and NeSi for INFP is extremely different.

Maybe this will give you some insight into yourself.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
But it's not about what I want, it is about what I am.

My suggestion was about what you would consider as adequate proof that you are N or S. For example if you require that a bright shining light come down from the sky and pronounce that you are N or S then you are not going to be able to get adequate proof of your type. This is why I was suggesting that you ask yourself what would be enough to convince you one way or another. Obviously the many tests that you have taken are not adequate proof for you. Would using the dichotomies be enough to confirm your type, or cognitive functions, or temperaments, or anything else?

Fernando Perla

MBTI Type
ENFP
My suggestion was about what you would consider as adequate proof that you are N or S. For example if you require that a bright shining light come down from the sky and pronounce that you are N or S then you are not going to be able to get adequate proof of your type. This is why I was suggesting that you ask yourself what would be enough to convince you one way or another. Obviously the many tests that you have taken are not adequate proof for you. Would using the dichotomies be enough to confirm your type, or cognitive functions, or temperaments, or anything else?

Cognitive functions.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Feedback accuracy.
Since it is important to you to accurately determine your type it would be in your best interests to give more detailed responses. Figuring out your type requires figuring out the way that you think, and that is only possible if you provide more information. Please answer the question again, with more detail.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FFS, this is still going on?

I call sleeper-level trolling.

Fernando Perla

MBTI Type
ENFP
Since it is important to you to accurately determine your type it would be in your best interests to give more detailed responses. Figuring out your type requires figuring out the way that you think, and that is only possible if you provide more information. Please answer the question again, with more detail.

Se provides information from the outer world bases on five senses; Ne offers a better feeback because the information it provides is more accurate, using six senses. That is all I know.