• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think I might actually be an extrovert

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think the only reason I thought I was an introvert for all these years was my mental illness which made me paranoid of people and no motivation to go out. What I'm realizing is I get a lot from social interactions and if I don't get them regularly I start to feel like nothing matters anymore. also if i go long periods of no social interaction i start drinking more and more.
edit: oh and being a naturally quiet person in general, might make me look like an introvert. I don't talk much and I have a quiet voice
thoughts?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think the only reason I thought I was an introvert for all these years was my mental illness which made me paranoid of people and no motivation to go out. What I'm realizing is I get a lot from social interactions and if I don't get them regularly I start to feel like nothing matters anymore. also if i go long periods of no social interaction i start drinking more and more.
edit: oh and being a naturally quiet person in general, might make me look like an introvert. I don't talk much and I have a quiet voice
thoughts?

Yeah in my experience ( as a strong E) this is very "E." I get very depressed when I'm alone for too long.

As for the edited note; this is a stereotype which drives me crazy.
People think that being an extrovert means being loud and obnoxious all the time. I have witnessed SO many people mistype as I simply because they are quiet. To such a ridiculously literal extent too "This person will talk a complete stranger's ear off but they don't scream constantly. So they must be I."
That really has nothing to do with it. Extroverts enjoy the company of people, we get bored/lonely without them. We feel content just being around people. We don't even need to be the center of of attention. Sometimes we are okay just observing.

Personally, I found loud people very irritating.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah in my experience ( as a strong E) this is very "E." I get very depressed when I'm alone for too long.

As for the edited note; this is a stereotype which drives me crazy.
People think that being an extrovert means being loud and obnoxious all the time. I have witnessed SO many people mistype as I simply because they are quiet. To such a ridiculously literal extent too "This person will talk a complete stranger's ear off but they don't scream constantly. So they must be I."
That really has nothing to do with it. Extroverts enjoy the company of people, we get bored/lonely without them. We feel content just being around people. We don't even need to be the center of of attention. Sometimes we are okay just observing.

Personally, I found loud people very irritating.

exactly i'm always gonna be a quiet person in general, but i do enjoy company of others, and that's why i'm questioning my introversion and the fact that i get energy from social interactions. I know I'm NFP but i need to re read the descriptions of INFP and ENFP because it's been awhile

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My dad was a pretty clear extrovert (his type wasn't hard to perceive), but yeah sometimes he confused himself by thinking he was introverted because he went through long periods of depression and substance abuse where he would withdraw a lot if he had no outlet.

But put him in a room and he was magic and back to his normal self. It was insane how everyone in the world knew him, I couldn't go anywhere around Pennsylvania or even into Maryland and (since our last name was distinctive) someone would ask me if he was my father. The funeral service was packed.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My dad was a pretty clear extrovert (his type wasn't hard to perceive), but yeah sometimes he confused himself by thinking he was introverted because he went through long periods of depression and substance abuse where he would withdraw a lot if he had no outlet.

But put him in a room and he was magic and back to his normal self. It was insane how everyone in the world knew him, I couldn't go anywhere around Pennsylvania or even into Maryland and (since our last name was distinctive) someone would ask me if he was my father. The funeral service was packed.

the funny thing is when i'm truly depressed i mean truly truly truly depressed like suicidal i don't like drinking i'll drink if someone drags me out, but i can't stand drinking alone when i'm in a bad depression. but when i'm not i love to drink alone.

It’s definitely possible. It’s really no different than having a physical ailment alter how active you are. I’m having real issues with my digestive system and on and off the pain becomes bad enough I don’t get out and walk or really do anything that requires physical exertion and I love being physically active and become very discouraged when I can’t and I feel I’m cooped up or on a minimum power setting. I’m not overly social but I’m definitely not a shut in. It’s healthy to be out and about. Whether you spend that time with others or on your own.

á´…eparted

passages
I thought i was an introvert until i was 23 cause of mental illness. The notion of me being an introvert is laughable.

rav3n

Dichotomy tests define introversion/extraversion in terms of sociability. Cognitive functions define introversion/extraversion as the orientation of subject/object focus. Pick your poison.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thoughts?

I had a similar journey since I dealt with major depression for many years and before that I was bullied in school so... I had no friends and was just very isolated. only after i came out of the depression and started gaining some self-confidence did i start wondering if I was an extravert (in MBTI terms). I am also someone who is fairly quiet, I don't require being the center of attention. I only talk when I have things I want to say, not just to hear myself speak. (not trying to say that all extraverts just blab to hear the musical symphony of their voices... :))

so I think it's completely possible you're an extravert in that sense. and I think it can be another facet to your journey of getting better and having more positive health milestones dotting the road of your journey. you can look forward to new pieces of you being able to grow and come to the forefront in your life to come.