• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Honey Got Me Hooked on Honey

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For those of you who know me, particularly [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION], then you know that I have recently developed an obsession with manuka honey.

What is manuka honey? You might ask.

manuka-honey-15_-_rowse_-250g.jpg

Manuka honey is honey from New Zealand that has been produced by bees that have pollenated a manuka (tea tree) tree. The manuka pollen makes their honey potently antimicrobial and a quality anti-inflammatory. However, saying these things is much like calling Beyoncé a popular musician. While factual, it by no means gets at why Queen Bey is Queen Bey.

The reason I am talking to you today about manuka honey is because it fixes all the things. Literally. All of them.

In my own case, I've used manuka honey for two things, and it's done those things pretty amazingly. The first of those things is as an acne mask, and the second is as a body toner.

Acne

I have combination skin and have had virtually unending issues with acne since I was a teenager. I've tried everything up to and including accutane. It works for a while, then I start having issues again. Honey has cleared my skin up better than just about any treatment I've used before.

As an acne mask, I put about two teaspoons of the honey on my face for about 20 minutes or so. First time I did this, my face purged hard, which was horrifying, but after about a week or so, my skin was clear. After two weeks, the honey had also begun to clear up dark spots and was shrinking my pores as well (the honey has a skin tightening effect that I will get into later). It has been amazing.

Body Toner

I'm not sure what to call this, but this is what I went with. Following my full conversion to the honey faithful following the acne mask experience, I got curious about other ways honey could improve my life for the better.

I read from a more than likely reputable source that honey massage can be an effective way to treat cellulite as well, so I was like, it's booty shorts season, why not give it a try?

I tried the honey massage for the first time on my thighs. Basically you put about a tablespoon on each, and then you use your dry hands in a wave motion and pull up at the end. The wave motion starts to create suction between your hands and the place you've put the honey as it emulsifies into a wax. Overtime, the suction gets more intense, and starts to feel a bit like you're getting your legs waxed. It is not pleasant. As this is happening, the honey will start to turn into a whitish, waxy foam. You do this for about 5-10 minutes, or until you can't take the pain anymore lol.

My thighs were a bit sore, and nothing really happened immediately. I went to bed, woke up, and lo and behold, they looked more toned the next morning. It was definite enough to be noticeable to me. After the second massage I started to notice the bonus effect that stretch marks that I have on my legs were starting to disappear. All of these things are good things.

I tried it the third time on my boobs, too. The additional perk? It's real. It's very real.

________

What I'm trying to say with this long ass post is that manuka honey is here to help you out however it can. I'm not saying it will change your life completely, but it will definitely enhance it.

Some quick notes on buying honey:

First, many of the things that I'm describing can be achieved with raw or regular honey. Manuka honey has a higher concentration of the properties that make honey wonderful, and therefore you'll see results with it faster.

If you buy manuka honey, pay attention to the unique manuka factor (UMF) of the honey. UMF is basically the potency of the honey. MGO and OMA are also rating systems for manuka factor, but UMF seems to be associated with the most consistently reputable products. The sweet spot is between 10 and 20 with the ideal being right in the middle (14-16 UMF). Anything under 10 is not much more potent than raw honey, even though you'll be paying more per pound. Anything over 20 is probably a scam as 16 is the highest rating naturally found.

Second, manuka honey is also best if it's actually from New Zealand. Other people produce it, but it's best from the source.

It's going to run you about $30-40/lb depending on the quality of the honey and who you buy it from. Right now, I'm using 15+ honey from Pacific Resources that I got at Whole Foods. I spent about $40 on it for a little over a pound, and have zero complaints.

In conclusion, I will leave this classic 90s anthem sung by the incomparable Mariah Carey as a final expression of my feelings on the subject of the joy and magic honey has brought into my life.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was hoping for a Mariah reference and I was not disappointed.

What is the flavor like? I think added benefit of putting it on my face is that it's edible. *puts honey on face, then in mouth* repeat as necessary.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kind of want to come back to this when I'm not mostly asleep, and write more about some of impressive cancer research being done with manuka. But I do want to quickly say that manuka honey is New Zealand exclusive; other countries (The UK, and Australia.) both have products claiming attributes of manuka; testing has said otherwise. So if it is not NZ produced, it is not manuka!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds cool, but I can't justify $40 honey!

I buy generic bread. Sheeeeeiiiiit, girl.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds completely awesome, as I've always had acne prone skin. Like you, though, I'm certain that after applying the mask, my skin would be horrifying for 7-10 days, as my pores are pretty much all clogged I think. But I very much like the idea of a thorough cleansing and reboot.

I may check it out!

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Regular honey with tea tree oil added to it has some of the same benefits, according to Rex.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've wanted to play with honey as a facial mask.. it might be something worth investigating once I get running water back in my house. :3 Though, to be honest, I'd probably just eat it too. :yes:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of want to come back to this when I'm not mostly asleep, and write more about some of impressive cancer research being done with manuka. But I do want to quickly say that manuka honey is New Zealand exclusive; other countries (The UK, and Australia.) both have products claiming attributes of manuka; testing has said otherwise. So if it is not NZ produced, it is not manuka!

Yeah there's NIH research on Manuka as an effective treatment of MRSA and similar antibiotic resistant infections. My vanity also made me gloss over the fact that it's an effective treatment for tooth decay, ulcers and other forms of gastrointestinal illness.

I would like to point out that none of these things necessarily make me look better in Daisy Dukes. Jus' sayin.

Girl, I feel you, and I got you.

I actually started out with raw honey before I upgraded to the manuka, and still had really great results. I used Nature Nate's which I think you can get at Trader Joe's and Amazon for like $12. I've heard good things about YS Eco Bee Farms Honey, too.

It's not as potent as the manuka, but if you like what you see you can decide whether or not you want to make the investment down the line. :heart:

Regular honey with tea tree oil added to it has some of the same benefits, according to Rex.

^^^

I'm still using a combination of 1 part tea tree oil and 2 parts coconut oil as a moisturizer. It also happens to be God's gift to razor bump prevention.

This sounds completely awesome, as I've always had acne prone skin. Like you, though, I'm certain that after applying the mask, my skin would be horrifying for 7-10 days, as my pores are pretty much all clogged I think. But I very much like the idea of a thorough cleansing and reboot.

I may check it out!

It's amazing!!! I didn't have my shit together, so I didn't do before and afters.

I will say this re: purging: the first couple days are rough, but it goes quickly. I used a little benzoyl peroxide spot treatment to help treat the acne as it purged, so the whole thing lasted less than a week for me.

The other thing I've really liked is that the mask leaves your skin feeling really good. You're supposed to dampen the skin a bit before, so you have a really natural moisturized feeling afterwards. I only really have to use a moisturizer if I decide to exfoliate.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah there's NIH research on Manuka as an effective treatment of MRSA and similar antibiotic resistant infections. My vanity also made me gloss over the fact that it's an effective treatment for tooth decay, ulcers and other forms of gastrointestinal illness.

I would like to point out that none of these things necessarily make me look better in Daisy Dukes. Jus' sayin.

Girl, I feel you, and I got you.

I actually started out with raw honey before I upgraded to the manuka, and still had really great results. I used Nature Nate's which I think you can get at Trader Joe's and Amazon for like $12. I've heard good things about YS Eco Bee Farms Honey, too.

It's not as potent as the manuka, but if you like what you see you can decide whether or not you want to make the investment down the line. :heart:

^^^

I'm still using a combination of 1 part tea tree oil and 2 parts coconut oil as a moisturizer. It also happens to be God's gift to razor bump prevention.

It's amazing!!! I didn't have my shit together, so I didn't do before and afters.

I will say this re: purging: the first couple days are rough, but it goes quickly. I used a little benzoyl peroxide spot treatment to help treat the acne as it purged, so the whole thing lasted less than a week for me.

The other thing I've really liked is that the mask leaves your skin feeling really good. You're supposed to dampen the skin a bit before, so you have a really natural moisturized feeling afterwards. I only really have to use a moisturizer if I decide to exfoliate.

Cool.

I purchased some tea tree water a little while ago, and used it for a bit, and experienced a similar skin-looks-gross purge phase. I subsequently stopped using it, and probably shouldn't have. This thread inspired me just now to do a poor-man's-version of the concept, since I don't own manuka honey, by just doing the tea tree cleanser + regular honey. My skin feels really soft and great right now but I am bracing myself for skin havok in a day or two, lol. ;)

But seriously, I may invest in the manuka just because it would be great to have a really powerful, natural skin cleanser/toner/purger.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool.

I purchased some tea tree water a little while ago, and used it for a bit, and experienced a similar skin-looks-gross purge phase. I subsequently stopped using it, and probably shouldn't have. This thread inspired me just now to do a poor-man's-version of the concept, since I don't own manuka honey, by just doing the tea tree cleanser + regular honey. My skin feels really soft and great right now but I am bracing myself for skin havok in a day or two, lol. ;)

But seriously, I may invest in the manuka just because it would be great to have a really powerful, natural skin cleanser/toner/purger.

YASS WE HAVE OUR FIRST CONVERT!!!

HONEYLLULAH!

GqEOcl.gif

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, buddy! Will definitely give it a try. I been running around without sunscreen this summer and could really use something to exfoliate. :happy2:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright ladies, I'll give it a shot on payday. But if I get chased down by a bear--! :sadbanana:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, buddy! Will definitely give it a try. I been running around without sunscreen this summer and could really use something to exfoliate. :happy2:

It won't exfoliate you, but if you've gotten a lot of sun, or gotten gross from being outdoors-y, it'll def help you even your skin tone and clear out your pores.

Report back though if you do try some!

Alright ladies, I'll give it a shot on payday. But if I get chased down by a bear--! :sadbanana:

THE HONEY REVOLUTION WILL BE STOPPED BY NO ONE!

NOT EVEN BEARS WHO WOULD ROB US OF OUR FREEDOM AND OUR HONEY SMEARED FACES!!!

...BECAUSE THEY ATE THEM!!!

:solidarity:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a combination skin as well, I used to do facial at home once a week and I used to include milk and honey in it, I don't know why I am doing that less often recently.. It leaves the skin glowing and fresh, it's a perfect cleanser, lightens dark spots, , I never tried this one, but seems interesting though..
You're inspiring me to get back to my skincare routine, my skin is calling out :laugh:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a combination skin as well, I used to do facial at home once a week and I used to include milk and honey in it, I don't know why I am doing that less often recently.. It leaves the skin glowing and fresh, it's a perfect cleanser, lightens dark spots, , I never tried this one, but seems interesting though..
You're inspiring me to get back to my skincare routine, my skin is calling out :laugh:

What's been your experience with milk in a facial mask? I've heard that cinnamon can be a great add in as well.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's been your experience with milk in a facial mask? I've heard that cinnamon can be a great add in as well.

Yes it includes cinnamon as well, it's a great exfoliater..
I used to first wash my face with a sensitive skin soap, then apply milk then honey, then massage them a little bit on my face, then like 10 minutes later I apply cinnamon on them, then after washing my face, I apply a gelatin mask, then after peeling it, I apply milk+few drops of lemon.. Then I take an ice cube and close the porse :D
Wow I missed that, even though I did the honey+milk+cinnamon two weeks ago..
This basically leave my skin glowing and very soft and fresh