• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Highkey Confused Possible ENFP

Sojourner's Fray

Heyo, been doing a lot of Thinking[SUP]TM[/SUP] lately and I'm hoping for a little outsider input on my type.

This turned out longer than I was expecting, so in short: I'm emotionally repressed as a result of recurrent invalidation of feelings, typed as INTP > INFP > INTP > INTJ > ENTP > INTJ over the years, never totally clicked with their narratives, am now realising there's a very good chance I'm an NF type who used rationalisation as a mirrored defense mechanism; don't really relate to the INFP experience or its order of functions, used to think I was a hardcore introvert but insecurity and anxiety do odd things to the behaviour, so ENFP is looking a lot like home.

A bit of backstory:

When I first started reading into MBTI and taking tests (mostly the one on 16personalities, though I did try a couple others), I was consistently typed as an INTP. A couple years in, going through some very unstable times in life, I got a couple outlier INFP results which I never totally related to, and over the past two years or so I've been questioning everything more because I really just don't relate to the typical INTP experience and narrative - I looked into functions a lot more and read into INTJ and settled on that, even though I have tendencies much more typical of a P type when disregarding functions. Over the past year or so, a lot of things have changed for the better in life and I've gotten much more confident in myself to the point that I'm a lot less obvious of an introvert - I questioned an ENTP typing for a while but that didn't quite click either.

Over the past month isolated from everyone (thanks quarantine) I've been uncovering a lot of things I've been repressing. For some context, I have not grown up in the healthiest of families; parents who insist they're fine but I can't remember the last positive interaction I saw between them, a burnt INFJ mother who shows many classic symptoms of depression, an emotionally distant and uncommunicative father who seems like an ISTJ to me, though I don't know for sure, and then my older brother and I - I suspect he's something along the lines of an INTJ, more so now that I'm becoming more certain I'm not an INTJ.

In short, I've been realising I've never really felt like I'm allowed to feel. On the one hand, I have my heavy Te-using brother and father who have always seemed like the stable figures in my life, the ones I've felt the need to catch up with and prove myself in the eyes of. They always seemed like they had their lives together, while my burnt-Fe mother definitely didn't, so I guess I aspired to them - especially my brother - because that's the way I was supposed to be, if I wanted to succeed. They never really acknowledged feeling tendencies as valid so I think I developed a very heavy reliance on Te and repressed a lot of Fi because of it. Meanwhile, feelings were never really met with validation on the other side of the spectrum from my mother, either - I don't know exactly why, I don't think she intended this, but I always heard the message that I wasn't allowed to struggle; there were people worse off than me and I should feel guilty about feeling negative things when I'm so lucky.

In the end, I became a very logical person for many years - consciously suppressed feeling things because I wasn't supposed to feel them, and the role models in my life had never found any good out of feeling. I never really had a close relationship with a healthy feeler to see myself in, so I started mirroring the IxTx's in my life because they seemed like the closest thing to stability I could find. I've read about heavy mirroring tendencies in ENFPs so this makes a lot of sense to me. Good things came when I functioned in Ti and Te dominant ways, so I embraced them and villainized the thought of being an F - when I started getting some INFP typing a couple years ago, the thought of being an F repulsed me because I wasn't supposed to be one, but looking back before all these complexes started developing, I do have a lot of F tendencies. Talking about deeply emotionally intimate things with people I trust energizes me; I speak about life as an art, not an equation, and some friends have been pointing that out to me a lot more lately; I find fulfillment in exploring myself, in reconnecting with parts of myself I'd lost or forgotten, not in understanding the world. I have the classic gifted kid hero complex of being told I'll cure cancer someday, which translated, in my mind, to an obligation to fulfil that potential even though I have very little inherent interest in science. I'm a writer, an artist, I've been told I speak in far too cryptic poetry in english essays that were supposed to be formal, and I advocate for subjective truths in light of the absurd.

At the same time, I've developed this fearing identity complex over the past many years that's recently become a lot more apparent to me. I'm very defensive of my internal sense of identity - when I felt that was threatened, when it was constantly invalidated and people close to me tried to change how I saw myself, I got scared and buried parts of myself because it was easier to stay in control, to bury those parts myself than to watch others bury them for me. Because if people don't really know you, they can't really influence you, change you, take you away from yourself - or that's what I thought, at least, and I know it's not entirely true now, but for a much younger and less matured version of myself, it felt like it worked, so I stuck with it. You can't tell a secret you don't know, so I mirrored the people I aspired to so heavily that I essentially forgot my own internal world. Feelings were outlawed as too confusing and I was deemed undeserving of them. Deeply personal Fi was replaced by a tertiary Te and/or shadow Ti to try to live up to the standards of the stable figures in my life.

And then I started taking myself seriously, met my INFJ best friend who's had a very similar childhood dynamic to mine and has shown me what it's like to a) be a healthy feeler, and b) have my struggles validated, and everything has sort of been thrown into a paradigm shift. One test recently gave me ENFP, and I've been taking more functions tests for the past couple months and I get very similar results every time; very high Ne and Ni, usually very close to one another, sometimes one has a bit of an edge on the other but it's not much of a consistent trend; consistently high Fi; varied results from a bit below average to a bit above average on Ti, Te, Fe, Se, and Si.

The basic deduction I went through was that I knew I led with Ne or Ni - they were always the highest on function tests by far, and the N aspect had been the only consistent independent letter over all my years of type pondering. I knew I had Fi over Fe in my function stack, so all that left was INTJ (Ni Te Fi Se) or ENFP (Ne Fi Te Si). Started reading into ENFP and found things like this:

The NeFi’s instinct is to achieve inner harmony by remaining true to themselves, their own values, and minimizing the influence that external factors (societal expectations, and maybe even the opinions of friends and family) have on their values.
[from typeinmind.com/nefi]

that describe how my whole fearing identity ordeal blew itself out of proportion pretty perfectly.

I have pretty typical N and P traits when it comes to independent letters, I'm realising I present akin to a T because of a lot of ingrained mirroring, but I have pretty typical F thought processes and very strong Fi now that I've been letting myself indulge it more and welcoming more positive influences into my life, and I'm ambivalent about the I/E. I've become a lot more extroverted as I've become more confident in myself, and I think I can put the feeling drained in large groups of people off to anxiety and some issues I have with an overload of sensory stimulation, because really, I love people - I'm fascinated by them, I can talk to someone one on one for hours about identity, experience of feelings, and intrinsic truth, and it leaves me very energized, as long as the conversation's engaging and it's not in a chaotic, large group setting that sets off my sensory overload tendencies. Looking back, I think I had a more typical ENFP persona as a kid before I became emotionally paralysed, and though I don't have it as distinctly anymore (I'm not classically bubbly and warm, but I have been described as outgoing in recent years with more confidence), I do highkey relate to the ENFP internal world narrative, and as I become more open to parts of myself I'd repressed, I do think I'm taking on a more typical ENFP persona again, just with a higher external manifestation of tertiary Te, because it's been given the chance to develop, mature, and take over in a need for control and defense of identity, a lot more than my repressed Fi.

Reading into the ENFP feels a lot more naturally like home, instead of the house I was supposed want to live in, than things like INTP or INTJ have felt in the past, but at this point the only thing I'm really sure of is that the absolute truths I've been worshipping about myself are turning out to really not be absolutely true.

I was talking through my years-long INTP mistype with a friend earlier and deduced something along these lines to explain it;

Ti - a shadow function kicking in to defend/replace Fi when it felt invalidated/threatened
Ne - naturally there from the dominant ENFP function
Si - inferior ENFP function kicking in to compensate for the internal world feeling empty in light of a suppressed Fi, and seeking to fill that with physical experience (I'm a pretty solid adrenaline junkie)
Fe - the "critical parent" shadow function role being inforced quite heavily by my actual burnt INFJ critical parent's Fe

The INTJ mistype can be explained pretty well by mirroring of my likely INTJ brother, combined with my high Ni and natural Te and Fi.

The INFP mistype seems pretty likely from having the same functions as an ENFP but differently stacked, and though I've considered it, I just don't really relate to the experiences of INFPs I've read, and I think my N function is dominant to my Fi. I also think my Te is more prominant than an inferior function would be.

The ENTP mistype was out of desperation to find something that fit me better than INTJ, but can be explained for basically the same reasons as the INTP mistype, just stacked differently.

I could go on but this seems excessive so I'll leave it there for now. I can provide some screenshots of function/type test results, or more in-depth analysis of anything I've talked about, or my general understanding of my persona, if it would help. I suppose what I'm looking for here is just a wider diversity of input, because I only really have one friend well versed in MBTI to work this through with, and I read a lot about typing and functions but I don't really know how much of my own perception to trust as my own, anymore, or just the result of mirroring perceived stable figures in my life and developing functions that I don't naturally have as a result of it. I guess what I'm wondering is if this whole experience sounds like something that could be a viable ENFP narrative, or if there are some glaring markers that I'm missing that might indicate something else - I do have a tendency to get a bit defensive over identities that I claim, but I'm way too terrified of confrontation to bite, so feel free to offer any insight you might have, because it's all quite welcome. Sorry for how long this got, but thanks for reading if you stuck around this long, and thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to offer!

Last edited:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:bye: welcome to the forum!

I don't think there's anything you wrote that makes ENFP unlikely. High Ne can make it difficult to narrow down one's type. If good descriptions of ENFP fit well, then that's a good sign.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Heyo, been doing a lot of Thinking[SUP]TM[/SUP] lately and I'm hoping for a little outsider input on my type.

This turned out longer than I was expecting, so in short: I'm emotionally repressed as a result of recurrent invalidation of feelings, typed as INTP > INFP > INTP > INTJ > ENTP > INTJ over the years, never totally clicked with their narratives, am now realising there's a very good chance I'm an NF type who used rationalisation as a mirrored defense mechanism; don't really relate to the INFP experience or its order of functions, used to think I was a hardcore introvert but insecurity and anxiety do odd things to the behaviour, so ENFP is looking a lot like home.

A bit of backstory:

When I first started reading into MBTI and taking tests (mostly the one on 16personalities, though I did try a couple others), I was consistently typed as an INTP. A couple years in, going through some very unstable times in life, I got a couple outlier INFP results which I never totally related to, and over the past two years or so I've been questioning everything more because I really just don't relate to the typical INTP experience and narrative - I looked into functions a lot more and read into INTJ and settled on that, even though I have tendencies much more typical of a P type when disregarding functions. Over the past year or so, a lot of things have changed for the better in life and I've gotten much more confident in myself to the point that I'm a lot less obvious of an introvert - I questioned an ENTP typing for a while but that didn't quite click either.

Over the past month isolated from everyone (thanks quarantine) I've been uncovering a lot of things I've been repressing. For some context, I have not grown up in the healthiest of families; parents who insist they're fine but I can't remember the last positive interaction I saw between them, a burnt INFJ mother who shows many classic symptoms of depression, an emotionally distant and uncommunicative father who seems like an ISTJ to me, though I don't know for sure, and then my older brother and I - I suspect he's something along the lines of an INTJ, more so now that I'm becoming more certain I'm not an INTJ.

In short, I've been realising I've never really felt like I'm allowed to feel. On the one hand, I have my heavy Te-using brother and father who have always seemed like the stable figures in my life, the ones I've felt the need to catch up with and prove myself in the eyes of. They always seemed like they had their lives together, while my burnt-Fe mother definitely didn't, so I guess I aspired to them - especially my brother - because that's the way I was supposed to be, if I wanted to succeed. They never really acknowledged feeling tendencies as valid so I think I developed a very heavy reliance on Te and repressed a lot of Fi because of it. Meanwhile, feelings were never really met with validation on the other side of the spectrum from my mother, either - I don't know exactly why, I don't think she intended this, but I always heard the message that I wasn't allowed to struggle; there were people worse off than me and I should feel guilty about feeling negative things when I'm so lucky.

In the end, I became a very logical person for many years - consciously suppressed feeling things because I wasn't supposed to feel them, and the role models in my life had never found any good out of feeling. I never really had a close relationship with a healthy feeler to see myself in, so I started mirroring the IxTx's in my life because they seemed like the closest thing to stability I could find. I've read about heavy mirroring tendencies in ENFPs so this makes a lot of sense to me. Good things came when I functioned in Ti and Te dominant ways, so I embraced them and villainized the thought of being an F - when I started getting some INFP typing a couple years ago, the thought of being an F repulsed me because I wasn't supposed to be one, but looking back before all these complexes started developing, I do have a lot of F tendencies. Talking about deeply emotionally intimate things with people I trust energizes me; I speak about life as an art, not an equation, and some friends have been pointing that out to me a lot more lately; I find fulfillment in exploring myself, in reconnecting with parts of myself I'd lost or forgotten, not in understanding the world. I have the classic gifted kid hero complex of being told I'll cure cancer someday, which translated, in my mind, to an obligation to fulfil that potential even though I have very little inherent interest in science. I'm a writer, an artist, I've been told I speak in far too cryptic poetry in english essays that were supposed to be formal, and I advocate for subjective truths in light of the absurd.

At the same time, I've developed this fearing identity complex over the past many years that's recently become a lot more apparent to me. I'm very defensive of my internal sense of identity - when I felt that was threatened, when it was constantly invalidated and people close to me tried to change how I saw myself, I got scared and buried parts of myself because it was easier to stay in control, to bury those parts myself than to watch others bury them for me. Because if people don't really know you, they can't really influence you, change you, take you away from yourself - or that's what I thought, at least, and I know it's not entirely true now, but for a much younger and less matured version of myself, it felt like it worked, so I stuck with it. You can't tell a secret you don't know, so I mirrored the people I aspired to so heavily that I essentially forgot my own internal world. Feelings were outlawed as too confusing and I was deemed undeserving of them. Deeply personal Fi was replaced by a tertiary Te and/or shadow Ti to try to live up to the standards of the stable figures in my life.

And then I started taking myself seriously, met my INFJ best friend who's had a very similar childhood dynamic to mine and has shown me what it's like to a) be a healthy feeler, and b) have my struggles validated, and everything has sort of been thrown into a paradigm shift. One test recently gave me ENFP, and I've been taking more functions tests for the past couple months and I get very similar results every time; very high Ne and Ni, usually very close to one another, sometimes one has a bit of an edge on the other but it's not much of a consistent trend; consistently high Fi; varied results from a bit below average to a bit above average on Ti, Te, Fe, Se, and Si.

The basic deduction I went through was that I knew I led with Ne or Ni - they were always the highest on function tests by far, and the N aspect had been the only consistent independent letter over all my years of type pondering. I knew I had Fi over Fe in my function stack, so all that left was INTJ (Ni Te Fi Se) or ENFP (Ne Fi Te Si). Started reading into ENFP and found things like this:

[from typeinmind.com/nefi]

that describe how my whole fearing identity ordeal blew itself out of proportion pretty perfectly.

I have pretty typical N and P traits when it comes to independent letters, I'm realising I present akin to a T because of a lot of ingrained mirroring, but I have pretty typical F thought processes and very strong Fi now that I've been letting myself indulge it more and welcoming more positive influences into my life, and I'm ambivalent about the I/E. I've become a lot more extroverted as I've become more confident in myself, and I think I can put the feeling drained in large groups of people off to anxiety and some issues I have with an overload of sensory stimulation, because really, I love people - I'm fascinated by them, I can talk to someone one on one for hours about identity, experience of feelings, and intrinsic truth, and it leaves me very energized, as long as the conversation's engaging and it's not in a chaotic, large group setting that sets off my sensory overload tendencies. Looking back, I think I had a more typical ENFP persona as a kid before I became emotionally paralysed, and though I don't have it as distinctly anymore (I'm not classically bubbly and warm, but I have been described as outgoing in recent years with more confidence), I do highkey relate to the ENFP internal world narrative, and as I become more open to parts of myself I'd repressed, I do think I'm taking on a more typical ENFP persona again, just with a higher external manifestation of tertiary Te, because it's been given the chance to develop, mature, and take over in a need for control and defense of identity, a lot more than my repressed Fi.

Reading into the ENFP feels a lot more naturally like home, instead of the house I was supposed want to live in, than things like INTP or INTJ have felt in the past, but at this point the only thing I'm really sure of is that the absolute truths I've been worshipping about myself are turning out to really not be absolutely true.

I was talking through my years-long INTP mistype with a friend earlier and deduced something along these lines to explain it;

Ti - a shadow function kicking in to defend/replace Fi when it felt invalidated/threatened
Ne - naturally there from the dominant ENFP function
Si - inferior ENFP function kicking in to compensate for the internal world feeling empty in light of a suppressed Fi, and seeking to fill that with physical experience (I'm a pretty solid adrenaline junkie)
Fe - the "critical parent" shadow function role being inforced quite heavily by my actual burnt INFJ critical parent's Fe

The INTJ mistype can be explained pretty well by mirroring of my likely INTJ brother, combined with my high Ni and natural Te and Fi.

The INFP mistype seems pretty likely from having the same functions as an ENFP but differently stacked, and though I've considered it, I just don't really relate to the experiences of INFPs I've read, and I think my N function is dominant to my Fi. I also think my Te is more prominant than an inferior function would be.

The ENTP mistype was out of desperation to find something that fit me better than INTJ, but can be explained for basically the same reasons as the INTP mistype, just stacked differently.

I could go on but this seems excessive so I'll leave it there for now. I can provide some screenshots of function/type test results, or more in-depth analysis of anything I've talked about, or my general understanding of my persona, if it would help. I suppose what I'm looking for here is just a wider diversity of input, because I only really have one friend well versed in MBTI to work this through with, and I read a lot about typing and functions but I don't really know how much of my own perception to trust as my own, anymore, or just the result of mirroring perceived stable figures in my life and developing functions that I don't naturally have as a result of it. I guess what I'm wondering is if this whole experience sounds like something that could be a viable ENFP narrative, or if there are some glaring markers that I'm missing that might indicate something else - I do have a tendency to get a bit defensive over identities that I claim, but I'm way too terrified of confrontation to bite, so feel free to offer any insight you might have, because it's all quite welcome. Sorry for how long this got, but thanks for reading if you stuck around this long, and thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to offer!

Could you do the keys2cognition test and throw the results here?
Depending on the stack (it needs a specific pattern), I could draw something.
Your sequence of different types seems strange to me, in growth of neuroticism and turbulence it is expected that the I/E and J/P dimensions reacts first, T/F only later.

Sojourner's Fray

[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] - Thanks for the welcome and your input!
[MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION] - My sequence of types seems strange to me too, definitely wouldn't have imagined ending up here a year ago, but then again, a lot of things have happened lately that I couldn't have imagined happening a year ago.

I took the keys2cognition test a few days ago while diving into all this, and here are those results, but I took it again today in a bit of a calmer mood and got different results in some fields so I've included that one too.

The one from a few days ago:
SE - 29 (average use)
SI - 22.2 (limited use)
NE - 39.2 (excellent use)
NI - 39.1 (excellent use)
TE - 23.9 (limited use)
TI - 27.2 (average use)
FE - 27.4 (average use)
FI - 32 (good use)

The one from today:
SE - 30.5 (good use)
SI - 15.2 (unused)
NE - 45.7 (excellent use)
NI - 38.6 (excellent use)
TE - 19.2 (limited use)
TI - 23.6 (limited use)
FE - 26.6 (average use)
FI - 40.6 (excellent use)

I'm not sure which is more accurate or why some of them changed so drastically, but at least the general order stayed the same (Ne > Ni > Fi > Se > Fe > Ti > Te > Si vs Ne > Fi > Ni > Se > Fe > Ti > Te > Si). Interpret as you will.

Attachments

• 20200422_170624.jpg
    20200422_170624.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 5.36.18 PM - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 5.36.18 PM - Edited.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 120

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] - Thanks for the welcome and your input!
[MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION] - My sequence of types seems strange to me too, definitely wouldn't have imagined ending up here a year ago, but then again, a lot of things have happened lately that I couldn't have imagined happening a year ago.

I took the keys2cognition test a few days ago while diving into all this, and here are those results, but I took it again today in a bit of a calmer mood and got different results in some fields so I've included that one too.

The one from a few days ago:
SE - 29 (average use)
SI - 22.2 (limited use)
NE - 39.2 (excellent use)
NI - 39.1 (excellent use)
TE - 23.9 (limited use)
TI - 27.2 (average use)
FE - 27.4 (average use)
FI - 32 (good use)

The one from today:
SE - 30.5 (good use)
SI - 15.2 (unused)
NE - 45.7 (excellent use)
NI - 38.6 (excellent use)
TE - 19.2 (limited use)
TI - 23.6 (limited use)
FE - 26.6 (average use)
FI - 40.6 (excellent use)

I'm not sure which is more accurate or why some of them changed so drastically, but at least the general order stayed the same (Ne > Ni > Fi > Se > Fe > Ti > Te > Si vs Ne > Fi > Ni > Se > Fe > Ti > Te > Si). Interpret as you will.

Ok, it wasnt exactly what I expected, but its enough.

I would like to clarify you some popular stuff that only helps confusing you.

First, about function stacks. Here it is the shock fact: The complete (or the version with four) stack has been, already, for more than 10 years, disproven.
Yeah, exactly what I said, disproven.
You can read more about it here:
Reckful On Type Dynamics - Typology Wiki

If you go to the section where people post results, you will see that nobody forms the supposed stack perfectly. Of course that there are people on denial who just says the test is BS because it isnt reinforcing their beliefs, but the pattern known as the stack has never been showed up in a single test - professional, academical or website ones.

The cognitive functions had not been disproven but the stack is. I have been perhaps one of the few persons that instead of just sticking with the stack or dropping cognitive functions entirely, I had been, as a hobby, dedicating myself to analyze and understand what the tests results really means.
The cognitive functions are way more "fluid" and are prone to adaptation. What I have been found is that the pairing does not happen all the time but it usually happen and it is a useful concept. So, for Ne-Fi or Fi-Ne, it seems to be a real thing, not in absolute terms. The ending of the stack, the Si for ENFP and Te for INFP is something that seems sometimes true, sometimes not, I consider it unreliable. The tertiary is rather a disaster: ENFPs scoring Te in the 3rd or 4th position are very rare, and those who score it tends to have borderline on T/F and/or J/P dimension, at the same time that INFP scoring tertiary Si are quite rare and there is a tendency for borderline on S/N and/or J/P. So, basically, forget about the tertiary Te and tertiary Si, they will only serve to be a confusion because they are incredibly surrealistic.

Second thing is about the shadow. Many people loves to write about it, they draw shadow functions, they do even name functions with name such as "demon", "trickster" and say that its all Jungian... Well, Trickster, Demon, etc... Are indeed terms of Jung psychology, but they do not belong to Jung Typology. Carl Jung never assigned any stack for being the trickster or demon (these two words have an entire different use). About the shadow itself, Jung does have some concepts over the shadow, at least, but thats only a shadow referring to the pair functions. So, there is no shadow Ti for a Ne-Fi or Fi-Ne type. But getting back at the part where people loves to write about it; Although many people will write about it, basically nobody can ever tell you or anybody else if they are at the shadow or not with some precision. Not a single soul. People might love talk about it, but nobody has any proper method at all to recognize the shadow and apply a correction to it. There are some few people with tons of subjectivity (and some great margin of error) that can tell you, looking at words pattern. However, as I do know it is completely possible to alternate communication style in order to fit environment (mine is alternated, I have a more sensor communication style).

I have been investigating this issue myself, and for so far, I only have some suspicions. Detecting the shadow for real is a terrible headache, its almost an impossible task to do. You are not the first one, but it seems that N/S dichotomy is basically immune to the shadow and (although I dont think that was true a 100 years ago) immune to adaptation (and actually Ne can do a great adaptation at sensing tasks on its own), while E/I and J/P seems to be the most vulnerable one, and T/F pretty much seems to be "it depends". So, your N resisting is pretty much expected. It might get a little bit up or down, depending on your own strategies with dealing with stuff, but it is pretty much stable.

Oh, and I also forgot about persona. Persona in Jung concept is not the real you, but rather the character you build to interact with others, so the concept of persona is pretty much the opposite of you are thinking. So, yeah, keep these things in mind because they are only help to make you confused.

About your text itself, I couldn't really discern much for it except the N part. You more talked about how your type changed through time,ok, that's relevant and interesting but without any numbers I cant do much (I would even be pleased if you had a big archive with many old cognitive functions test results of yours, ones with INTJ, INTP, etc.. although my method with that is still a secret partially because it was under development, I froze its development, so at best I could give you an unexplained result).

However, in these results... Well, for the moment they tend to INFP side. In parts.
I had found the best fit stack, which is more like a stack for an average type rather than an absolute result, for INFP is Fi-Ne-Ni while for ENFP is Ne-Fi-Fe, but the best tertiary fit changes given Enneagram. Actually, although one of my methods use these stacks, I do see that we do have multiple "tertiary" (or rather supportive) cognitive functions and that our environment and sometimes our own preferences changes it. For example, although my sample is suppeeer low, ENFP enneagram 9 is suspected to have Ne-Fi-Ni into their best fit stack (although Im suspicious thats innacurate because enneagram 9 by induction is supposed to reduce the preference for intuition and to transform E into ambiversion/borderline).

In your case, the stacks you posted and results are closer to INFP, and then ENFP. But these are recent results, obviously. Things can change. But with that I cant help you much. However, there are two stuff that might help:
- Consider doing a Big 5 test with facets and posting it (pick only one of them, the long or the low ones). Then, I could try to use type distance:
Personality Assessor | IPIP-120 Personality Test
Personality Assessor | IPIP-300 Personality Test
- Consider trying a kids MBTI test. However, the kid on the test is what you remember who you were as a child:
Personality Questionnaire for Kids
And for the kids 8-types description, you can see this page which description does a better job at describing you as a kid (and to see if the result from your kid test does indeed matches your MBTI type):
Personality Type & Kids-What Type of Personality Is Your Child?

Sojourner's Fray

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that, it's fascinating! It definitely helps me better understand some of the weird results I've been getting. I'd be interested in seeing some more stats on those stacks of tertiary/supporting functions common for each type, if you have them readily available - if not, that's alright!

Unfortunately I don't think I have many saved results from past tests, and I only started taking function tests rather than dichotomy ones about a year ago. I do know the general trend, though, is that I started out with very high introversion (usually upwards of 90% on 16personalities) and now fluctuate right around the middle of E/I; the N has stayed very consistent, maybe gotten a bit stronger, but I didn't understand the N/S distinction as well when I was younger so I didn't pay as much attention to that; I used to have much higher T results, usually somewhere around 80% on 16personalities, now I can sway as far as 60-70% to the F; and honestly, I have very rarely tested as a J on a dichotomy-based test, unless I was explicitly trying to indulge what tendencies of those I did have, to see if it would be enough to tip to INTJ when I thought that was my type because of the functions. I usually test pretty high as a P, around 80%, and that hasn't changed much over the years.

I was able to find two old screenshots of 16personalities results, one from maybe a bit over a year ago that I tested INTP on (74% I; 78% N; 65% T; 86% P), and one from maybe a bit less than a year ago that I tested INTJ on, probably while actively channeling some more typically J tendencies to see how that would tip it (85% I; 77% N; 72% T; 56% J). For comparison, I retook it today and got INFP (56% I; 83% N; 57% F; 76% P).

I took the IPIP-300 test and you should be able to see my results here: Personality Assessor | IPIP-300 Personality Test

I took the kids MBTI test attempting to channel a version of myself from a distinct age of childhood before I think I started repressing things, and it gave me an ENP result.

If it helps at all, I'm also fairly certain I'm a 4w5 for enneagram, with a 459 tritype. I've gotten 3, 4, 5, and 9 results before on various tests, though the 3 results were during a very stressful, over-committed time of my life and I think the achievement complex was heavily rooted in a control complex, not in achievement/recognition itself; achievement in school and such was just the only outlet of control I felt I had so I overindulged it to feel in control. I used to call myself a 5 over a 4 in the age of emotional repression, but I think I just have a very strong 5 wing on the 4; I relate to the 4's internal narrative a lot more, I think, on an intrinsic level. The 9 has always been very clear to me for that centre of the tritype.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My impression is INTJ.

Soon into reading your post, I got an impression of Ni due to the way you piece together your life. The writing style is of one weaving a narrative based on the ideas present through one's life in an evolutional manner. Ni dominants certainly have a tendency to do that; Ne dominants might do a similar thing that can be mistaken for it, but I don't know if that's the case, I haven't conclusively come across it before.

Also, your successive paragraphs indicate an INTJ function order (Ni Te Fi Se Ne Ti Fe Si), as deduced from certain key indicator terms used in those paragraphs. If you make more posts, I can get a better feel for whether that read is accurate.

I'd like to come back to this later and double check my read, and perhaps form explanations regarding peculiarities such as a high Ne and low Te score in tests.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
First I'll ask: which came first, the ENFP typing, or the high Ne scores? When I typed myself as ISTJ (I'm actually INFJ) I scored highest in Si, Ni and Te. So the way you think of yourself effects your scores a lot. I've heard that Ni and Ne scores (along with Ti and Te etc.) are often correlated; I don't know why exactly.

An INTJ could definitely see themself as an artist. As an INFJ, I have in the past identified as a mathematician, although philosopher is more accurate. Now I prefer terms reflecting my spiritual nature, though that's not necessarily because of my Jungian type.

If you were emotionally repressed in the past, you may now have higher scores in Fi than Te because you are trying to undo that, so you're focusing on Fi and modulating your Te. Fi isn't regarded as energising for INTJ, but it's energy status is quite neutral, so it can be used quite proficiently if you focus on it.

INTJ can for sure be a writer type, in my perspective.

Sojourner's Fray

First I'll ask: which came first, the ENFP typing, or the high Ne scores? When I typed myself as ISTJ (I'm actually INFJ) I scored highest in Si, Ni and Te. So the way you think of yourself effects your scores a lot. I've heard that Ni and Ne scores (along with Ti and Te etc.) are often correlated; I don't know why exactly.

An INTJ could definitely see themself as an artist. As an INFJ, I have in the past identified as a mathematician, although philosopher is more accurate. Now I prefer terms reflecting my spiritual nature, though that's not necessarily because of my Jungian type.

If you were emotionally repressed in the past, you may now have higher scores in Fi than Te because you are trying to undo that, so you're focusing on Fi and modulating your Te. Fi isn't regarded as energising for INTJ, but it's energy status is quite neutral, so it can be used quite proficiently if you focus on it.

INTJ can for sure be a writer type, in my perspective.

I started taking functions tests about a year ago, when I was ID-ing as INTP and just before I shifted to INTJ, and my Ne results were always very high, usually around tied with my Ni for highest. My Fi was also always very high, which I sort of just ignored at the time because I hadn't even considered being an F type. I think the function stack was usually something along the lines of Ne=Ni>Ti>Fi>Te>Se>Fe>Si, but I can't be sure.

I, too, am very confused about whether I dom with Ni or Ne. I relate very solidly to both of their descriptions, but looking into the differences I do see some tendencies in my life that clearly are more Ne-aligned. Exhibit A: Ni is often described as a sense of "what will be", vs Ne as a sense of "what could be". I was talking with my INFJ friend about our differing anxiety styles; hers goes something more like "x will happen, then y will follow because of it, etc., and there's nothing I can do about it." Mine, meanwhile, is something more along the lines of "what if x or y or z or etc. happens and there are so many things that could go wrong and I can't possibly prepare for all of them and something is bound to fall apart because there are just so many things that could."
Now, that being said, there are definitely areas of my life that are very much so Ni-aligned, I think the Ne aspects were just more subconscious to me until I started comparing them to known Ni experiences.

I figure some more general info about myself might be helpful, so here you go:
  • I can't remember the last time I properly started something earlier than the night before it was due. Luckily, the only thing I'm more scared of than confronting things that might lead to failure and a loss of control over my life is the thought of confronting teachers and such without work done on time, so I have very rarely handed anything in late in my life.
  • I have an odd relationship with group work. I function very well independently, I'm stubbornly independent when it comes to doing things that don't need to involve others, but when group work is necessary I thrive on it. I often find myself at the head of any given group, not entirely sure why, maybe it's just because I'm excessively willing to share ideas. Group work is incredibly boring and frustrating when no one else really cares, so I dedicate the majority of my efforts into making things fun and trying to figure out what would actually make them care.
  • Going off of that, I will go to great lengths to make things remotely more interesting, even if it risks losing a couple marks in terms of school or whatever. Will jump on desks in presentations. Will shout overly dramatic, poetic speeches from atop chairs as a presentation hook. Will make overly poetic metaphors in technical debate speeches and get way too passionate. It's a great time.
  • I can't imagine myself doing one thing for the rest of my life and being happy. I've got some ideas of what I might want to do now, but for the longest time I had no clue, because the thought of choosing a career and sticking to it is just. Utterly terrifying to me. "Life without revision will silence our souls," - thanks sleeping at last i felt that
  • I wander without destination for hours on end when I have the time. The more lost I get, the better.
  • I see minor adversity as an adventure, rather an inconvenience. Internet's down? Cool, let's get in touch with everything we've been missing out on. We failed to follow the map and got utterly lost? Awesome, let's go discover some cool places while getting unlost. It's all an adventure.
  • I don't get offended very easily, and when I do, I'm way too non-confrontational to ever act on it. I am pretty defensive of identity and can feel threatened pretty easily by someone trying to invalidate it, but again, I don't really act on it and usually feeling that way just makes me feel guilty.
  • I have a serious control complex. I'm not outwardly much of a control freak, perfectly happy to go with the flow, I don't really consider many daily life things as things that "matter" in the big picture, per say. But there are certain markers of control in my life that I need to feel in control of. Circumstances beyond my control; I think family life spurred a lot of it, and that expanded into school for a long time. I'd always been able to achieve grades, that had always been in my control, so when it felt like everything else in my life was spiralling out of control, I fell back on higher and higher grades to feel in control of something. It got very unhealthy, the sight of a low 90 felt like I'd completely lost control, and it was generally just. Not a good time. Took a long time and a couple 60somethings in physics to get out of that and realise getting a 100 or a 60something really didn't change anything. It was never primarily about perfection or being good enough, it was about being in control, but when I got a 60something and woke up the next day, and the days after that, and my life was exactly the same, I think that's when I started to get out of it.
  • I feel like a walking contradiction saying this, but in contrast to that, I thrive on adrenaline, change, and the unknown. Terrified of it, but excited by it even more. I love getting lost, seeing where the world takes me, going with the flow, because at the end of the day one-of circumstances don't really matter that much, to me? What happens will happen, it won't change much in the grand scheme, might as well enjoy it while we're along for the ride.
  • I'm energised by philosophical discussion or anything that involves deeply personal revelation and a deep dive into the depths of feeling; I'm drained very quickly by an excess of sensory stimulation or small talk. If something feels shallow I find myself zoning out and exhausted pretty quick.
  • My music taste is pretty whack but I'd call excessive listening one of the most enjoyable parts of my life, so here's a spotify playlist for you to spectate my soul, in case that helps you discern some vibes: spectate my soul on Spotify - probably won't be much help if you aren't familiar with some of it because I don't expect you to listen to seven hours of assorted music, but just in case it helps. Though I'm not sure if the link actually works. Try this one if it doesn't: spectate my soul on Spotify - if that doesn't work I will accept my defeat at the hands of technology. Whoops.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that, it's fascinating! It definitely helps me better understand some of the weird results I've been getting. I'd be interested in seeing some more stats on those stacks of tertiary/supporting functions common for each type, if you have them readily available - if not, that's alright!

Unfortunately I don't think I have many saved results from past tests, and I only started taking function tests rather than dichotomy ones about a year ago. I do know the general trend, though, is that I started out with very high introversion (usually upwards of 90% on 16personalities) and now fluctuate right around the middle of E/I; the N has stayed very consistent, maybe gotten a bit stronger, but I didn't understand the N/S distinction as well when I was younger so I didn't pay as much attention to that; I used to have much higher T results, usually somewhere around 80% on 16personalities, now I can sway as far as 60-70% to the F; and honestly, I have very rarely tested as a J on a dichotomy-based test, unless I was explicitly trying to indulge what tendencies of those I did have, to see if it would be enough to tip to INTJ when I thought that was my type because of the functions. I usually test pretty high as a P, around 80%, and that hasn't changed much over the years.

I was able to find two old screenshots of 16personalities results, one from maybe a bit over a year ago that I tested INTP on (74% I; 78% N; 65% T; 86% P), and one from maybe a bit less than a year ago that I tested INTJ on, probably while actively channeling some more typically J tendencies to see how that would tip it (85% I; 77% N; 72% T; 56% J). For comparison, I retook it today and got INFP (56% I; 83% N; 57% F; 76% P).

I took the IPIP-300 test and you should be able to see my results here: Personality Assessor | IPIP-300 Personality Test

I took the kids MBTI test attempting to channel a version of myself from a distinct age of childhood before I think I started repressing things, and it gave me an ENP result.

If it helps at all, I'm also fairly certain I'm a 4w5 for enneagram, with a 459 tritype. I've gotten 3, 4, 5, and 9 results before on various tests, though the 3 results were during a very stressful, over-committed time of my life and I think the achievement complex was heavily rooted in a control complex, not in achievement/recognition itself; achievement in school and such was just the only outlet of control I felt I had so I overindulged it to feel in control. I used to call myself a 5 over a 4 in the age of emotional repression, but I think I just have a very strong 5 wing on the 4; I relate to the 4's internal narrative a lot more, I think, on an intrinsic level. The 9 has always been very clear to me for that centre of the tritype.

This is my first time trying the distance method idea, so I dont have idea how much it works (I did for myself in Big 5 before, but I did it wrong and need to re-do it again, and Nardi is my first time ever). You have signs of being a mix of ENFP and ENTP when I did look to the results by eye. The kids test being ENP reinforces this idea. I dont think that you are on shadow because I use neuroticism as a flag for someone being on the shadow and you dont have enough neuroticism for having that risk. But as far as I know only neuroticism and apathy on Big 5 can be used for shadow high suspicion, and you fit none of both. So I dont really think you are INTJ. I did the distances for Big 5 test (I only data for INFJ, ambiverted ENTP, Highly Extroverted ENFP, INTP, INFP, INFP Neurotic), not considering Neuroticism:
1 - ENTP 436
2 - ENFP 497
3 - INTP 597
4 - INFJ 704
5 - INFP 762

I took extraversion out (since ENTP is ambiverted on the sample and ENFP have more extraversion than ENFPs average), new rank:
1 - ENTP 326
2 - ENFP 328
3 - INTP 343
4 - INFP 440
5 - INFJ 500

It is good to remember that in Big 5 and MBTI have their differences, Agreeableness does not really equal feeling. But its still a useful connection.

The distance on Dario Nardi test is:
1 - ENFP - 19.1
2 - INFP - 37.2
3 - ENTP - 54.6
4 - ENFJ - 55.5
(...)
15 - ESTJ - 129.4
16 - ISTJ - 137.2

From ENFPs enneagram, on very low number of people (big 5 sadly had a low number... always based on 3-4, except on INFJ, which were 7), and I only have enneagram 9 and enneagram 7:
1 - ENFP 9 - 14.3
2 - ENFP - 19.1
3 - ENFP 7 - 24.2
4 - INFP - 37.2
5 - INFP 4 - 37.2
6 - INFP 9 - 56
7 - INFP 5 - 69.6

So, with all these numbers I can say that you are a mix of ENFP to ENTP, closer to ENFP side (although in Big 5 you sound more ENTP) between enneagram 4,5,7 and 9 you are likely a type 4 or 9. Getting a bit out of the numbers, some observations:
- Stick more to your words at least when you relate to Fi users.
- You are quite assertive, thats more a ENTP than a ENFP trait.
- Low Friendlisness is a more or less a Ne trait, the explanation of why would be somewhat long.
- In Agreeableness, you are closer to ENFP on Altruism and Cooperation. On Sympathy, Morality, you are closer to ENTP side. Trust is a matter of environment, althouh FP with low trust usually means that it is very likely that there is a story where somebody on your life had made treason and you felt betrayed OR you have been lied to on important matters, in a way that impacted how you see the world. However, in your case that story doesnt seem to be really dramatic.
- In cognitive functions, you seem to have a strong Ni, for, I dont know, self-protection maybe? Or to try to be more closer to INTJ? Also a strong Se and Ti, Ti pushes you closer to ENTP and stronger Se... stronger Se means that there is a chance that you were a ENFP 7 on the distant past.
- I do consider myself XNFP with borderline F/T and Im also very likely better at thinking skills than feeling skills. I decided to put "me" on the analysis but them removed. We do have some crucial differences on Big 5.

Yeah, this time I sticked with the numbers, so I do think you are ENFP, mixed from ENTP. Enneagram 4 or 9.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Additionally [MENTION=40619]Sojourner's Fray[/MENTION], I agree with your assessment of Te and Fi, because your post reads like logical argumentation based in intrapersonal analysis, rather than interpersonal communication based in theoretical principles.

I still have the read of Ni, due to the intense subjectivity, centred around personal themes of evolution. I didn't notice a whole lot of Se. Due to the subjectivity it's hard picturing Ne dominant. I guess it can be argued this is a subjective/personal kind of thread?

XenMargolis

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You sound like an ENFP to me, with strong tertiary Te. Looking at different aspects of your development from various angles seems to come naturally to you, which seems like a very Ne-Si thing to do, and your communication is comprehensive in a way that's pretty typical of Fi-Te in adults.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I just thought... regarding those test scores, and relation to one's identity... it may be that you're identifying with an artist archetype, rather than a specific cognitive type, and to you the artist functions are Ni, Ne and Fi. Something along those lines.

So I do think, based on your initial post, that you're an INTJ. I checked again, and reading through an INTJ function order lens was quite predictive (moreso than an ENFP lens), for example you spoke of being energised by people in a few places where I would expect an INTJ to mention Fe... however in terms of your persona, what you identify as, maybe the Ni/Ne/Fi combination is where you're at right now. Identity isn't fixed, and while cognitive type does cover a lot of the structure of how the mind operates, the available structures aren't necessarily the best fit for your personality at every given point in time.

--

Additionally, I can see how in your initial post, while you are speaking of general patterns in your life and weaving them together, you also often mention the environment in terms of abstractions, for example seeing people in terms of type (although, this after all is a type forum). So it may be that you are attempting to bring unity to the patterns within your inner and outer life.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yet another thought, similar to the last one, basically a reiteration actually...

In the interview thread with Dario Nardi, he writes that his explanation for the reason behind why function order goes how it does (e.g. Ti and Fe being correlated somewhat in brain scans) is that that's just what works. People have 2 arms, 2 legs, a head, organised in a specific structure. You could imagine another way that a person could look, but that's just how it is. It's not that other function combinations wouldn't work at all, but that they wouldn't work as well.

My view is that it has to do with chiastic structure, and a multi-element inversive process, that provides a certain kind of progressive balancing. But other combinations can work too. I've experimented with that, and for example changed my function order briefly so that Ni, Fi, Ne and Fe were the first 4 functions.

Since Ni and Ne are a call and response pair, their dual proponderance would indicate a feedback loop whereby patterns in the subjective and objective realms are being unified. It's a general principle that perception and discernment need, sort of, to both be present, or you have data without structure, or structure without data (of course, it's possible to focus purely on data on its own, or structure on its own, but it's not the norm). You've gone with Fi, in narrowing in on themes in your life through introspection, but you could also go with Te and look at the empirical specs of how things work. You could I guess go with Fe or Ti alternatively, but that would probably be more difficult to pull off.

There's a lot that can be done with the functions. There are certain norms, but a lot can happen outside of those norms.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] I dont know why you are insisting...
I dont really see any reason for the OP to be INTJ wanna-be ENFP.
Even the community has the popular view of the wanna-be INTJ, but not the wanna-be ENFP.

There are no signs of big disturbances in the OPs life.
No sign of neurosis, no sign of apathy.
There is no reason to be in shadow mode or any semi-shadow mode.

If the OP is surrounded by INTJ, ISTJ and such types, there is no reason to migrate out of them to adapt. Its the opposite, the tendency is to match these people in order to fit.

Being surrounded and being parented by these types does change the way of communication because a INTJ/ISTJ persona is needed. Passing an impression of being INTJ/ISTJ is more a safety maneuver.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] I dont know why you are insisting...
I dont really see any reason for the OP to be INTJ wanna-be ENFP.
Even the community has the popular view of the wanna-be INTJ, but not the wanna-be ENFP.

There are no signs of big disturbances in the OPs life.
No sign of neurosis, no sign of apathy.
There is no reason to be in shadow mode or any semi-shadow mode.

If the OP is surrounded by INTJ, ISTJ and such types, there is no reason to migrate out of them to adapt. Its the opposite, the tendency is to match these people in order to fit.

Being surrounded and being parented by these types does change the way of communication because a INTJ/ISTJ persona is needed. Passing an impression of being INTJ/ISTJ is more a safety maneuver.

All sorts of mistypes can occur.

My hypothesis is based on reading function order. I've explained my reasons, and speculated regarding the inconsistensies.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
[MENTION=40619]Sojourner's Fray[/MENTION]
I made a mistake in my formula lol. I did fix for the cognitive function test but Big 5 will be for another day because it is too laborious.
But the result didnt changed much for you. Basically:
1 - ENFP - 8.4
2 - INFP - 15.3
3 - ENTP - 23.6
(...)
15 - ESTJ - 51
16 - ISTJ - 56.6

For enneagram (ENFP and INFP):
1 - ENFP 9 - 6
2 - ENFP 7 - 9.6
3 - INFP 4 - 17.4
4 - INFP 9 - 19.3
5 - INFP 5 - 26.4

All sorts of mistypes can occur.

My hypothesis is based on reading function order. I've explained my reasons, and speculated regarding the inconsistensies.

You are really persistent on that function order lol.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You are really persistent on that function order lol.

I've told you my reasons for believing that it's accurate. (I've also mentioned that it's not always accurate but rather is the general rule)

Why wouldn't I be persistent about it? I've considered that maybe it's confirmation bias and almost backtracked on it, but if something seems true to me I'm going to stick with it unless shown otherwise. (and the failure of function order to show up via the analysis of MBTI test scores is hardly a proof to the contrary. You'd have to look at why I think it's true, and show why my reasoning is incorrect and actually means something different.)

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I've told you my reasons for believing that it's accurate. (I've also mentioned that it's not always accurate but rather is the general rule)

Why wouldn't I be persistent about it? I've considered that maybe it's confirmation bias and almost backtracked on it, but if something seems true to me I'm going to stick with it unless shown otherwise. (and the failure of function order to show up via the analysis of MBTI test scores is hardly a proof to the contrary. You'd have to look at why I think it's true, and show why my reasoning is incorrect and actually means something different.)

I wont enter in that discussion in somebody's elses thread.
And anyway, I would be only repeating an old discussion, that generally enter in the same way, except that this side I would be "playing [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]" :D

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I wont enter in that discussion in somebody's elses thread.
And anyway, I would be only repeating an old discussion, that generally enter in the same way, except that this side I would be "playing [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]" :D

Yeah getting too much into the debate would be distracting from the original point, but bringing it up can be helpful in terms of seeing where each person is coming from in terms of their psyche.

I go by an understanding whereby cognitive functions manifest in a sequential order, and you can see this show up in the way people segment their posts into paragraphs. Looking at it from another lens though, the 4 conscious functions (or "call functions" as I am experimenting in calling them) in particular show up throughout.

So I'm seeing an INTJ sequence, and Ni, Te and Fi, but the Se seems a bit... off? Because the environment is being referenced in terms of abstractions, which suggests something akin to Ne. So there's something odd about Sojourner's Se.