• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Here's a Test to Narrow Down Your MBTI Type

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was very, very bored tonight, and wanted to test my friend to confirm what I thought his MBTI was. But I wasn't sure what test to use, and ended up making my own. It is very short. It is very brief. For these reasons is does not have the depth of a longer test, and therefore may not have the same level of accuracy. But if you're someone who has absolutely no idea about their type or where to start, this should help you. It should only take about 5-10 minutes to answer the questions if you have at least some knowledge of MBTI (which if you're on this forum, you probably do). This test is meant to help you narrow down your type. Instead of being stuck between 16, hopefully this can narrow it down to 4 or less (or 1, if your personality fits nicely with the theory... not everyone's does).

Note: The test is based off of my understanding of the functions, which comes from various threads from this forum, some more recent than others.

There are three parts to the test. The first one is dichotomies. Not everyone's type in the dichotomies is the same as their type in the JCF (Jungian cognitive functions). Some people prefer dichotomies; others prefer the JCF. For this reason I include both in the test. This part of the test is the most simple: there are two words. I have provided a brief description for each one. Pick the one that is most like you, as you are most of the time, and not just based on how you feel currently.

Note: Many of the answers throughout all three parts of the test make you choose between rather "black and white" answers. Picking one answer does not mean you must completely reject the opposite answer; it just means that you have a natural preference. Real people are hard to stuff into neatly categorized boxes, but that's what MBTI is. Most people have personalities that do not fit in 100% neatly with MBTI; that's okay. We're merely trying to find your most likely type(s) here by narrowing down the options.

The second part of the test provides descriptions (again, black and white) of each function and prompts you to pick the one that best resonates you. Do not think too hard into it; right now you're just answering, not thinking or analyzing. Take it slow if you need to.

The third and final part of the test is probably the most important part. On the typical and rather overused 1-5 scale, we are now pitting your functions against each other. They are battling for dominance. Is your Si or Se (depending on which one you picked in part 2) stronger or weaker than your Ni or Ne? and so on and so forth.

Once you have finished answering all of the questions, post them here and/or go to a website such as this one and use your results to determine your function order. Not everyone's fits so nicely. For example, some people resonate with both Ni and Si; but one type cannot be both. If you use Ni, then you also use Se, and if you use Si, then you also use Ne. So then how do you figure out which one you are? You have to either pick between Ni and Si (which one is stronger), or you can try typing based on tertiary or inferior function (which one of the opposites are weaker). My friend ended up being a very clean-cut ISTJ; there were no function contradictions and his preferences aligned almost perfectly. This will not be the case for everyone. This is also why some people prefer dichotomies over the JCF.

Why am I making this test, which requires you to use your brain and think, rather than just asking everyone to go to an online test that will do all the thinking for them?
Because people are complex. Tests can be very helpful in narrowing down your type, yes. But from my observations the majority of the people on this website posting in this section of the subforum have already taken those tests and gotten mixed results, and now they want clarification. The best way to get that clarification is self-typing. This is a short test meant to guide people on the path to self-typing. No one asked me to make this, so I can't guarantee anyone will even use it. But since I ended up making it for personal use, I figured it would be wasteful not to share it in case even one person out there finds it helpful.

I am not perfect, and neither is my test. Please point out to me if you disagree with any of the descriptions within the test, and tell me a way to better phrase or explain things if necessary. Suggestions for how to improve it are also very welcome. If how I have worded anything confuses you, ask me, and I will try my absolute best to clarify.

Having a piece of paper is recommended.

THE TEST:

PART I. DICHOTOMIES

PART II. JUNGIAN COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS – DISTINGUISHING PREFERENCES

PART III. JUNGIAN COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS – STACKING FUNCTIONS

Tell me what you like and do not like about the test. Let me know if any changes or improvements need to be made. Also, if you think something has been forgotten or needs to be included, I would love to know that as well. I hope this can be useful to somebody out there who needs it.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like your input on the J/P axis, it seems like a more accurate definition than the order vs spontaneity concept that I learned when taking MBTI tests.

as for your test:
1/5
3/5 < I'm not sure
4/5
1/5
3/5
3/5
4/5

^This seems to fit my type. Anyway this should be particularly useful for those new to Mbti and typology.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like your input on the J/P axis, it seems like a more accurate definition than the order vs spontaneity concept that I learned when taking MBTI tests.

as for your test:
1/5
3/5 < I'm not sure
4/5
1/5
3/5
3/5
4/5

^This seems to fit my type. Anyway this should be particularly useful for those new to Mbti and typology.

Glad to see that it's got some accuracy at least :D And yes, my intention is that hopefully it is helpful for new members to begin self-typing.

Yes, I have never been a fan of the "spontaneous and disorganized" vs "rigid and organized" P/J dichotomy descriptions. Like... what does that have to do with anything lol.

Sweetheart

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
?
Very nice...

Part I

Extroverted
Sensing
Thinking
Perceiving

Part II

Se
Ni
Fi
Ti

Part III

1. 3
2. 3
3. 4
4. 2
5. 1
6. 4
7. 2

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll play. :) I'm not always that certain of my type. I feel like I'm strongest in Ni, Ne, Fi, and Ti, in that order, so I suspect I'm not a clean fit for a type. I mostly type myself based on the dominant function, because a lot of descriptions of Ni (except for the certitude part) resonate with me, but I don't relate to Fe or Te much at all. I've even wondered if I'm a subdued ENFP due to harsh experiences and strain on physical health and inclination towards clinical depression. I always assumed I was the only J in my family because everyone else has clutter, and I'm externally organized, but partly because I cannot find anything in a mess. I forget where I put stuff. I'm rather spacey and not a Sensor - I'm much too clumsy and oblivious to important sensory input to be a Sensor. I burn out quickly socially, so always assume I'm introverted.

Introversion
Intuitive
Feeling (slight preference)
Perceiving (slight preference)

Si
Ne
Fi/Fe
Ti

1. 1
2. 1
3. 3
4. 1
5. 4
6. 1
7. 3

á´…eparted

passages
1. 4
2. 3
3. 3
4. 2
5. 2
6. 2
7. 2

I think this method will work for some people, not perfect but it's a good start and can be useful. Good work :)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you all for your kind words regarding my test. :)
I am going to look over everyone's answers now and then make a follow-up post.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

as for your test:
1/5
3/5 < I'm not sure
4/5
1/5
3/5
3/5
4/5

Here are my notes analyzing your results:
Most likely Ixxx type, No S/N preference, Fi -> Te, Fi -> Si, No N/F preference, No S/T preference, Ne -> Te. Likely Fi and Ne as dom and aux.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: INFP.

Also possible: ENFP.

I agree with your INFP typing. :yes:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Very nice...

Part I

Extroverted
Sensing
Thinking
Perceiving

Part II

Se
Ni
Fi
Ti

Part III

1. 3
2. 3
3. 4
4. 2
5. 1
6. 4
7. 2

Dichotomies result: ESTP.

JCF function preferences: Si/Ne, Fi, Ti.

No I/E preference, no S/N preference. Fi -> Ti, Fi -> Se, Fi -> Ni, Se -> Ti, Ni -> Ti. Likely a Fi dom; Fi/Te over Fe/Ti.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: ISFP.

Also possible: ESFP.

I was actually thinking ISFP for you based on what little I have seen of you around the forum so far, but had wanted to see more before taking a stab at it. If you agree with these results, then it would confirm my suspicions. :)

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bolded answers.

THE TEST:

PART I. DICHOTOMIES

PART II. JUNGIAN COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS – DISTINGUISHING PREFERENCES

PART III. JUNGIAN COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS – STACKING FUNCTIONS

Tell me what you like and do not like about the test. Let me know if any changes or improvements need to be made. Also, if you think something has been forgotten or needs to be included, I would love to know that as well. I hope this can be useful to somebody out there who needs it.

Extremely vague. For example, the Extroversion vs. Introversion. That could mean almost anything. But I can be super energetic if I am mentally engaged. I wouldn't say "introverts are sloth and extroverts are jumping beans."

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'll play. :) I'm not always that certain of my type. I feel like I'm strongest in Ni, Ne, Fi, and Ti, in that order, so I suspect I'm not a clean fit for a type. I mostly type myself based on the dominant function, because a lot of descriptions of Ni (except for the certitude part) resonate with me, but I don't relate to Fe or Te much at all. I've even wondered if I'm a subdued ENFP due to harsh experiences and strain on physical health and inclination towards clinical depression. I always assumed I was the only J in my family because everyone else has clutter, and I'm externally organized, but partly because I cannot find anything in a mess. I forget where I put stuff. I'm rather spacey and not a Sensor - I'm much too clumsy and oblivious to important sensory input to be a Sensor. I burn out quickly socially, so always assume I'm introverted.

Introversion
Intuitive
Feeling (slight preference)
Perceiving (slight preference)

Si
Ne
Fi/Fe
Ti

1. 1
2. 1
3. 3
4. 1
5. 4
6. 1
7. 3

I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's very hard to categorize such complex personalities into the functions, because MBTI makes you choose between black or white "opposites"; unlike with dichotomies you use everything but you have that "preference".

Likely an Ixxx type. Ne -> Si, No F/T preference, Fx -> Si, Ne -> Fx, Ti -> Si, No N/T preference. Likely an Ne dom or aux (under the assumption that you resonate with Ne mroe than Ni, since you chose Ne in part 2). Also likely Si inferior or tertiary.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: xNFP

Also possible: ENTP (if Ne-dom but believe you are Ti/Fe over Te/Fi). I do not think ENTP is nearly as likely as xNFP, though.

Had you chosen Ni over Ne in part 2, I could also see INFJ or ISFP as likely.

For you I am fairly certain you are an NF, and INFx at that. If you think you use more Ni, INFJ. If you think you use more Ne, INFP.

You are one of those many people who do not fit so cleanly into the MBTI box, but I don't think that's really anything to worry about. :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's very hard to categorize such complex personalities into the functions, because MBTI makes you choose between black or white "opposites"; unlike with dichotomies you use everything but you have that "preference".

Likely an Ixxx type. Ne -> Si, No F/T preference, Fx -> Si, Ne -> Fx, Ti -> Si, No N/T preference. Likely an Ne dom or aux (under the assumption that you resonate with Ne mroe than Ni, since you chose Ne in part 2). Also likely Si inferior or tertiary.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: xNFP

Also possible: ENTP (if Ne-dom but believe you are Ti/Fe over Te/Fi). I do not think ENTP is nearly as likely as xNFP, though.

Had you chosen Ni over Ne in part 2, I could also see INFJ or ISFP as likely.

For you I am fairly certain you are an NF, and INFx at that. If you think you use more Ni, INFJ. If you think you use more Ne, INFP.

You are one of those many people who do not fit so cleanly into the MBTI box, but I don't think that's really anything to worry about. :D
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I am conflicted between Ni and Ne. I suspect that Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe all hold hands and play ring-around-the-rosey in my head, all playing nicely together. Fe is the little, chubby cheeked tag-a-long littlest sister. She's there, but mostly just for chuckles...(and yes, I know this tune is a reference to the Black Plague :unsure: )

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. 4
2. 3
3. 3
4. 2
5. 2
6. 2
7. 2

I think this method will work for some people, not perfect but it's a good start and can be useful. Good work :)

Thank you. :) And as I think we both know, you are one of those special cases lol. People who don't know you well enough think "he must be Te!" which makes you appear somewhat as your dual. ;)

Likely an Exxx type, no strong S/N preference, no strong F/T preference (so complicated lol!), Ni -> Se, Fe -> Ni, Ti -> Se, Ti -> Ni. Likely Se tertiary or inferior; possibly Ti dom or aux.

Most likely type: xNFJ with leaning towards ENFJ (meets tertiary Se assumption but not dom/aux Ti assumption)

Also possible: xSTP (meets dom/aux Ti assumption but not tertiary/inferior Ti assumption).

Honestly, Hard, I agree with your ENFJ typing. Having Te more developed than Ti makes you appear to others like your dual at times. This is a great example of how complicated MBTI typing can be. My test is definitely not perfect; neither is the system itself, tbh. Thank you for taking my little test. :)

Last edited:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bolded answers.

Extremely vague. For example, the Extroversion vs. Introversion. That could mean almost anything. But I can be super energetic if I am mentally engaged. I wouldn't say "introverts are sloth and extroverts are jumping beans."

Thank you for your honest feedback. Yes, writing the I/E can be extremely difficult; I believe it was [MENTION=6554]DisneyGeek[/MENTION] who once told me that I/E dealt with energy levels rather than "recharge time" (since even extroverts need time to recharge!). I had my sister take my test also and she absolutely loathed my I/E description for the same reasons. Do you have any suggestions as to how to make it better?

Sweetheart

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
?
Dichotomies result: ESTP.

JCF function preferences: Si/Ne, Fi, Ti.

No I/E preference, no S/N preference. Fi -> Ti, Fi -> Se, Fi -> Ni, Se -> Ti, Ni -> Ti. Likely a Fi dom; Fi/Te over Fe/Ti.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: ISFP.

Also possible: ESFP.

I was actually thinking ISFP for you based on what little I have seen of you around the forum so far, but had wanted to see more before taking a stab at it. If you agree with these results, then it would confirm my suspicions. :)

I certainly agree :) I was considering ISFP, and the only function I really understood from the beginning of my "mbti journey" was Fi, so I figured Introverted Feeling was somewhere. I actually sincerely think that was a pretty good test, lol. It's nice that you are so eager to help people with stuff like this. Some people aren't that kind.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=25723]RobinSkye[/MENTION] as for your test results.

ENTP in dichotomies.

Se, Nx, Fi, Ti cognitive preferences.

No strong I/E preference, Nx -> Se, Ti -> Fi, Fi -> Se, Nx -> Fi, Ti -> Se, Nx -> Ti.

Likely Ni/Se (though, also evidence of Ne/Si).
Likely Se tertiary or inferior.
Possibility of Ti/Fe rather than Te/Fi.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: INxJ, with leaning towards INTJ (due to thinking over feeling cognitive preference). If you disagree with Ni/Se and think Ne/Si, then INTP is very likely.

Also possible: ENxJ (again with leaning more towards ENTJ for same reasons above). Again, if you disagree with Ni/Se and agree with Ne/Si, most likely ENTP.

You seem more xNTP to me than anything else.

Last edited:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I am conflicted between Ni and Ne. I suspect that Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe all hold hands and play ring-around-the-rosey in my head, all playing nicely together. Fe is the little, chubby cheeked tag-a-long littlest sister. She's there, but mostly just for chuckles...(and yes, I know this tune is a reference to the Black Plague :unsure: )

Yeah, it can be very difficult. But I think it's safe to say you're definitely NF. To be honest Ni and Ne are the ones I have the hardest time understanding, because I am Ne inferior and don't use like any Ni at all ever. Though if you resonate more with Fi than Fe, INFP could definitely be a possibility; on the other hand, you could be Fe, but it could just not be as developed as your Fi.

In the end, type is so very complicated! It's so hard to fit people into "the box". Your problem with Fe and Fi reminds me a lot of [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] in a way, and how he scores higher on Te than Ti but is still ENFJ because of Fe.

I certainly agree :) I was considering ISFP, and the only function I really understood from the beginning of my "mbti journey" was Fi, so I figured Introverted Feeling was somewhere. I actually sincerely think that was a pretty good test, lol. It's nice that you are so eager to help people with stuff like this. Some people aren't that kind.

Thank you very much!! :)

It's rather shallow compared to most function tests, but that is because I am trying to make it as brief as possible. Unfortunately the more brief you are, the more black/white it becomes. But if you can figure out two of your functions for sure, you're likely to figure out the rest of your type. Not to mention what I've said 500 times in this thread about the complexity of human cognition lol!

I'm glad I was able to help you discover your type!! :D Thank you so much for taking my test, especially in the early "guinea pig" stages lol!

Last edited:

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=25723]RobinSkye[/MENTION] as for your test results.

ENTP in dichotomies.

Se, Nx, Fi, Ti cognitive preferences.

No strong I/E preference, Nx -> Se, Ti -> Fi, Fi -> Se, Nx -> Fi, Ti -> Se, Nx -> Ti.

Likely Ni/Se (though, also evidence of Ne/Si).
Likely Se tertiary or inferior.
Possibility of Ti/Fe rather than Te/Fi.

Most likely JCF MBTI type: INxJ, with leaning towards INTJ (due to thinking over feeling cognitive preference). If you disagree with Ni/Se and think Ne/Si, then INTP is very likely.

Also possible: ENxJ (again with leaning more towards ENTJ for same reasons above). Again, if you disagree with Ni/Se and agree with Ne/Si, most likely ENTP.

You seem more xNTP to me than anything else.

Yeah, I do think xNTP is closest. Though I have also considered xNFP and xNTJ. I could see arguments for any of those.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I do think xNTP is closest. Though I have also considered xNFP and xNTJ. I could see arguments for any of those.

Yes, if you identify Ne/Si then I'd argue completely in favor of xNTP above all other types; xNTJ was more of a shot in the dark since your test result was Nx rather than a strong preference for Ni or Ne (and since you picked Se over Si, I decided to go with Ni).

That being said... yeah. NTP. :yes:

Last edited:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION]

Interesting. Never had it explained this way. You put a lot of thought into this.

I. Dichotomies

Introvert
Intuitive
Feeling
Judging

I'm a feeler above all.

II. JCF Functions
Si vs Se: I don't know. Probably Si.
Ni vs Ne: Ne.
Fi vs Fe: Both. I form subjective values, I'm a noncomformist, and definitely individualistic, but I want to be liked (don't we all?) and I'm fairly accommodating. And I do share my feelings.
Ti vs Te: Can't decide.

III. Stacking functions
1: 3
2: 2
3: 5
4: 1
5: 2
6: 4
7: 4

Most of this is just based on the fact that I'm such a strong F.