• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Group Thinking: "What is the problem with mob hysteria and group thinking?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Group Thinking: "What is the problem with mob hysteria and group thinking? Do you have the moral fortitude to break away from a group thought stemming in small part by societies, parental and peer norms that you experience externally? Do you consider yourself to be an individual who makes informed decisions irregardless if whether it is popular or not?

Do you follow societal norms without question or hesitation? I wish finding out at least in corollary on whether you possess an Internal Locus of Control or an External Locus of control? Another variable bear looking into is do you have low self esteem or high esteem? Another factor is what is your Myers Briggs Type? Which type is more likely to fall into line and which type is less prone to be following the masses?

Quote:
"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." Albert Einstein

Quote:
“Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.” Steve Jobs

"Conformity refers to the person's modification of behavior to be consistent with the norms of the group. We seem to have a "herd" or "mob" mentality. It is a minority percentage that rises above this herd or mob mentality. Solomon Asch conducted a classic study on conformity. Solomon Asch found many people will conform to a group judgment even when they know what they are saying is incorrect. This is the danger of the media. If they show aberrant behavior for sensationalism and ratings, that behavior is in danger of being modeled by a segment of the population.

There needs to be more professionalism and ethics in the media. Which comes first; the aberrant behavior in the media, or aberrant behavior in the public? Just to pick on one example and that is rap music with language that is at times derogatory to women as well as violent. Is the music a reflection or a partial cause of certain behaviors? Solomon Asch used lines on two cards, asking eight subjects placed in a row to compare the line on card A to three comparison lines on card B. Only the last subject was a real subject, the seven others were "stooges", also called "confederates", trained to give wrong answers some of the time.

Most of the time the first seven stooges would give the obviously right answer to the test on visual discrimination. But sometimes all seven would give the wrong answer. What happened to the real subject in the situation? You probably guessed that indeed most of the time the subjects conformed to the group norm. They gave the same incorrect answer the other stooges had given. Generally three out of four people went along with the crowd rather than disagreeing with others. This study was particularly important because the students did not know each other and did not face each other, eliminating obvious group pressure.

Also the task involved visual discrimination of line length, a non issue involving no attitudes or values that might have social norms or rules that would influence conformity. Do we conform to the group even if we feel no direct group pressure or influence? How this Interconnection works out in a positive way, is when there is an emergency. A certain individual will jump into a burning building to save a stranger. The Ash experiment repeated often with varied subject populations, reveals that the tendencies to yield to even imagined group pressure is strong.

"Conformity refers to the person's modification of behavior to be consistent with the norms of the group. We seem to have a "herd" or "mob" mentality. It is a minority percentage that rises above this herd or mob mentality. Solomon Asch conducted a classic study on conformity. Solomon Asch found many people will conform to a group judgment even when they know what they are saying is incorrect. This is the danger of the media. If they show aberrant behavior for sensationalism and ratings, that behavior is in danger of being modeled by a segment of the population.

There needs to be more professionalism and ethics in the media. Which comes first; the aberrant behavior in the media, or aberrant behavior in the public? Just to pick on one example and that is rap music with language that is at times derogatory to women as well as violent. Is the music a reflection or a partial cause of certain behaviors? Solomon Asch used lines on two cards, asking eight subjects placed in a row to compare the line on card A to three comparison lines on card B. Only the last subject was a real subject, the seven others were "stooges", also called "confederates", trained to give wrong answers some of the time.

Most of the time the first seven stooges would give the obviously right answer to the test on visual discrimination. But sometimes all seven would give the wrong answer. What happened to the real subject in the situation? You probably guessed that indeed most of the time the subjects conformed to the group norm. They gave the same incorrect answer the other stooges had given. Generally three out of four people went along with the crowd rather than disagreeing with others. This study was particularly important because the students did not know each other and did not face each other, eliminating obvious group pressure.

Also the task involved visual discrimination of line length, a non issue involving no attitudes or values that might have social norms or rules that would influence conformity. Do we conform to the group even if we feel no direct group pressure or influence? How this Interconnection works out in a positive way, is when there is an emergency. A certain individual will jump into a burning building to save a stranger. The Ash experiment repeated often with varied subject populations, reveals that the tendencies to yield to even imagined group pressure is strong."

Last edited by a moderator:

Lark

Do you follow societal norms without question or hesitation?

I think that there's a certain sort of hysterical group think which is the absolute scourge of the western world, or anglosphere at least, at the moment which thinks that its possible to dispense with all societal norms without question or hesitation. Its EXTREMELY radical, in the sense of being radicalised as opposed to simply proposing a great change or difference, those that belong to this group can not comprehend the thinking of those who are not part of the group think and will more quickly just attribute things to non-members than ask them what their thinking is.

I cant remember when the last time that I met someone who did follow norms without question or hesitation or would have known they were actually doing so.

I meet plenty of people who attack them without thinking what good they are or have been.

Jaguar

As someone who was one of the few people who passed a peer pressure psychology experiment in my freshman year of college, I find it laughable to blame the media.

" It's not my fault, it's the media!"
"It's not my fault, Jimmy made me do it!"

Grow up and stop placing blame anywhere than where it belongs - on your shoulders.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not think I give into group think or peer pressure. I am often times going against the grain, even with people who have similar beliefs as I do.

The only exception is if I don't care what side I am on, and will just go with the flow. But if something happens that goes against my morality, I will leave.

rav3n

Peer pressure doesn't move me unless I agree with their stance. This should be pretty obvious, lol.

Lib

Permabanned
A teacher of mine in high school used to say that there are two types of people - ones and zeros. Always been a one even when I didn't want to. I'm the one that doesn't need zeros to follow them.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm not going to give into the peer pressure of this thread and the posters therein, by saying: I DO give in to peer pressure.

Lark

As someone who was one of the few people who passed a peer pressure psychology experiment in my freshman year of college, I find it laughable to blame the media.

Grow up and stop placing blame anywhere than where it belongs - on your shoulders.

That I agree with.

I dont hear about many people resisting those peer pressure tests though, I used to be able to pass them but I'll admit that I did feel the pressure and just did not cave in to it.

I'm more susceptible to being worn down and just getting tired to challenging peers, so I'll try and discover some work around others stupidity these days instead.

Permabanned
A teacher of mine in high school used to say that there are two types of people - ones and zeros. Always been a one even when I didn't want to. I'm the one that doesn't need zeros to follow them.

Lib

Permabanned
But, yeah, why should we expect from others to censor themselves if the idea is to be authentic?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes, often. By which I mean I allmost never follow the group.

I don’t go out of my way to dissent, I think it’s mostly about of a lack of trust and desire to not be controlled or have my options limited. And if course, I am not always right.

I don’t think it makes me cool, a rebel, or better than anyone else. It can be benifitial but more detrimental. Human beings are social animals after all being on your own is not safest place to be.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

We are affected by the media. Radiculim of Fox news by corrupting language of personalities as Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity does not showcase journalism. What it is akin is to the Salem witch trials. This divisive, corrosive personalities shouldn’t be allowed to broadcast. They have in effect no moral and reasonable leg to stand on. They are a part of mob hysteria with their commentary which work on fear’s, stereotypes, prejudices, dogmatic belief and being
bigoted.

On the other side of this coin could be MSBC showing a liberal persuasion. They complain and harp on wrongful actions taken by the Republican stance. They do not however offer a viable problem solving outcome. This is no reliable news and shows a lacking in professionalism, ethics, an absence in true communication. It keeps a divide of a percentile of ideologues who don’t work cooperating for the sake of the nation. All this to held dogmatic ideology as we’ll boost network ratings.

A rule in advertising and known in the psychology field is to get the Message across, even gross distortions in truth or reality is repeat, repeat and repeat again. There is a mountain full of fake news. People wrongfully or rightfully do gravitate toward news supporting their beliefs despite a person’s belief system subconscious may posses fear, stereotypes, bigotry, prejudices. In addition contain cognitive fallacies in the way of cognitive distortions and held on unhealthy cognitive schema in the person’s subconscious.

It is far easier vilifying another person that hold divergent believed beliefs contrary to an individual. It may look well and fine in the short term but it is no long range solution. This is a choice taking what seems to be the easier route but this choice is to walk on the lesser path.

Political discord will continue and people follow shock jocks to influence life’s opinions and life choices. For real progress to be made we need to take and walk upon a higher word. For this to transpire communication skills with critical use of reason need be taught.

Lib

Permabanned
We are affected by the media. Radiculim of Fox news by corrupting language of personalities as Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity does not showcase journalism. What it is akin is to the Salem witch trials. This divisive, corrosive personalities shouldn’t be allowed to broadcast. They have in effect no moral and reasonable leg to stand on. They are a part of mob hysteria with their commentary which work on fear’s, stereotypes, prejudices, dogmatic belief and being
bigoted.

On the other side of this coin could be MSBC showing a liberal persuasion. They complain and harp on wrongful actions taken by the Republican stance. They do not however offer a viable problem solving outcome. This is no reliable news and shows a lacking in professionalism, ethics, an absence in true communication. It keeps a divide of a percentile of ideologues who don’t work cooperating for the sake of the nation. All this to held dogmatic ideology as we’ll boost network ratings.

A rule in advertising and known in the psychology field is to get the Message across, even gross distortions in truth or reality is repeat, repeat and repeat again. There is a mountain full of fake news. People wrongfully or rightfully do gravitate toward news supporting their beliefs despite a person’s belief system subconscious may posses fear, stereotypes, bigotry, prejudices. In addition contain cognitive fallacies in the way of cognitive distortions and held on unhealthy cognitive schema in the person’s subconscious.

It is far easier vilifying another person that hold divergent believed beliefs contrary to an individual. It may look well and fine in the short term but it is no long range solution. This is a choice taking what seems to be the easier route but this choice is to walk on the lesser path.

Political discord will continue and people follow shock jocks to influence life’s opinions and life choices. For real progress to be made we need to take and walk upon a higher word. For this to transpire communication skills with critical use of reason need be taught.
I thought you're sending the message that people should break away from conformism. Now, you are stressing that someone else is responsible for them :shock: Don't you think that if people stop relying on others to show the truth and tell them how to think, nobody would care to watch Fox news and the like, or at least, won't be brainwashed by these? IMO, people should learn to take responsibility for their actions and beliefs. Group thinking is shared responsibility, that's why it's so easy - if everybody is involved no one could be wrong or guilty.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm not going to give into the peer pressure of this thread and the posters therein, by saying: I DO give in to peer pressure.

Dude, every time you create a paradox like that a sun dies (along, most likely, with a fairy or two). Stop it, before the universe implodes.

Mole

Permabanned
By and large we pursue our interests in an invisible context.

And although we are guided by the context, it remains invisible to us. We take our context on faith. This what faith is: a trust in something we can neither see nor understand. We trust our context as young children trust their parents. We trust our context with all the pride of obedient children.

So what is the context of. Typology Central?

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is wrong with group thinking and hysteria is the group is far more susceptible if not a product of manipulation and influence. Group mentality becoming a weakness. Poison the water, it kills the fish and makes it unlivable. In essence, killing the power they have as individuals.

Course, this isn't always. But this the weakness it can provide. That sometimes a greater number is a greater vulnerability.

Lark

Turn it off and walk. You don't have to watch it.

I do think that's an interesting proposal.

Should you limit your exposure to others altogether or just the TV, press and internet?