• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

forum self v real life

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm much more sassy and reactive IRL. My fingers are much slower than my mind and mouth, so everything I post is MUCH more censored than the things I say.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not really aware of how others view me. Admittedly, I'm a lot more quiet and impassive IRL than online. At least online I could live out my fantasy of being a dark edgelord, lol.

treetophideaway

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I can't really say for how the anonymity affects how others act, but in general if people act differently online than they do in real life, I would think it's because of one of the following reasons:

1. Because they are anonymous, they feel that anything they say will never come back to them.
  2. They feel more comfortable because of the anonymity.
For me personally, I do act different online because of the anonymity. It doesn't affect how I treat people. I'm not one of the people that acts like a jerk nor do I think I'm any nicer online than in real life. What it does affect is how open I am. I am more willing to share my thoughts, feelings, and opinions online because I know it's unlikely I'll ever meet any of you and have to look you in the eye. I think I come across as more extroverted and less shy.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Forum self: I'm more open i guess, but nowadays I'm trying not to be that open anymore because I'm enjoying shitposting too much lol xD joke. Typoc is really a serious community without shitposters so, there I'm being boring here living a normal poster. XD

Real life: ofcourse I'm being much normal. XD

i think it's just the ability to shitposts that's differ forum life vs real life. Because ofcourse you must filter your words irl. Unlike in forum, you can just easily type: penis, boobs, vagina, pubic without giving a fuck.

But social media wise(Facebook), i don't post anymore because of job xD and social acceptance

But i like real life better because me focusing too much online gives me depression. XD

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

theflame

Permabanned
I don't feel the need to have two different personalities. I am how I am in real life and online and I have the same thoughts and opinions. The only people who have anything negative to say are people I couldn't care less to associate with, either way. Funny it's the people who I don't hang out with nor do I talk to who think they know me more than people who actually hang out with me. Oh well, gotta love the know-it-all. I talk the same. I have similar conversations. I'm also as tough in real life as I am online. I confront people when I feel the need. I'm not a coward who hides behind the keyboard like my wannabe haters do with their smear campaigns. People are able to have normal conversations with me online as they do in real life. Only cry babies who shouldn't be on the Internet are offended by reality posts.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm much nicer, kinder, and more compassionate in real life:wink: I can be more opened online though, in my real life I'm quite closed off. I smile and laugh more in reality, I think I might take myself and other people more seriously online. I hate people more online than in reality LOL, I don't have a lot of cyber world patients. I'm a kitten, soft and easy to get along with in the real world, I can be a tough tiger too, but mostly a soft kitten. I probably wear a mask online sometimes mostly because I don't want people to come too close, but in reality I'm huggy and kissy and enjoy being close with people I care about. I read people really well online, explains why I don't like them much haha, I do in reality also, however I'm more apt to point it out online than in reality. I keep more to myself in reality than I do online. I'm myself and I'm not, kind of a paradox.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm much nicer, kinder, and more compassionate in real life:wink: I can be more opened online though, in my real life I'm quite closed off. I smile and laugh more in reality, I think I might take myself and other people more seriously online. I hate people more online than in reality LOL, I don't have a lot of cyber world patients. I'm a kitten, soft and easy to get along with in the real world, I can be a tough tiger too, but mostly a soft kitten. I probably wear a mask online sometimes mostly because I don't want people to come too close, but in reality I'm huggy and kissy and enjoy being close with people I care about. I read people really well online, explains why I don't like them much haha, I do in reality also, however I'm more apt to point it out online than in reality. I keep more to myself in reality than I do online. I'm myself and I'm not, kind of a paradox.

We believe we are safe and hidden behind the anonymity of our avatar, while we unconsciously reveal ourselves in the way we make etext. Each word betrays our true self without our knowing, of course at the unconscious level we long to be known, and can't help revealing ourselves to each other.

It is kind of sad and beautiful that we need to hide even from each other what we most long for.

Hopelessly, we deploy our psychological defences in the vain hope they will protect us, but our defences only betray us further, showing our deeper self which we keep hidden not only from each other but from ourselves.

Such intimacy so shocking we defend ourselves by hating those who share it here.

Dare I say, there is blood on the floor.

Straylight

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It may be a side-effect of having been chatting and posting online since the mid-nineties (I'm an old-hat millenial, born in 83' so I grew up on the cusp of the internet explosion) but, I don't really sound that much different in person from how I sound online. Yes, sometimes I make off-the-cuff remarks on a forum that come across as rude, but when I do this it's typically intentional, and I do the same thing in person (yeah, I'm kind of an asshole) if I think the person deserves it. To be fair though, people online can be rude as fuck, and I only really spit fire at them when they pick a fight with me first. It's an immaturity I've held onto my whole life and I don't foresee it ever going away. In person, people do tend to be a bit more mellow, or at least more passive-aggressive, rather than directly aggressive, so I have fewer occasions to retaliate in an offline context.

Interesting topic. I consider forum me the less complicated, Pop lite edition. I’m filtered and refined for ease of use. It’s all me, just less clutter.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I believe forum me is just the same as "real life" me (i often have trouble with that expression because participating online is part of my real life, but nevermind). The only difference is that I'm much better at writing than speaking, so when I write everything flows better and when I talk to people, if I ever talk to them, it's as if words tried to come out of my mouth all at once because my mind goes faster than I can speak, so I have to start my sentences like 3 times until I can get them to be cohesive, and by that time, people are talking to each other about something else.

Lark

When I first came up with the username I'm known as it was in the early days of the internet, let alone an online discussion forum, I used it on a bulletin board, I think every post on that bulletin board was moderated, you'd post replies and the following day you'd read them and possibly responses from others.

My ideas were rapidly being changing and I was already using another name on that forum, so I "invented" one which had different ideas to which I'd originally expressed, I was younger and consistency mattered more to me than changing my opinion when I had new information, or at least the accusation of inconsistency stung more than it does now.

I think I'm broadly speaking the same, I've read about the self, ego-psychology, the ideal self and idealisation as a psychological function since and some of it seems applicable to my thinking back then, these days its more of a case of it simply being a memorable username for logging in places.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In real life, I'm often described as sweet, whereas I don't think anyone on this forum would call me that.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would say my real life personality is waaay more artificial, because I rarely feel safe. It's like I remotely control a robot version of myself in public. So that way, if someone tries to cut me, they can't draw blood.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm a lot more vulnerable and open online than irl, it's very hard for me to convey exactly what I feel through words, writing has always been my true voice. I've been told I'm more bubbly online as well. I feel like it's just easier for me to be relaxed on the internet in general. I'm not worried about awkward silences and social cues and eye contact... I suck at eye contact and I don't like people staring at me lol, it just makes me stare at the ground like a dolt. :doh: But I'm not really different as far as personality goes, I'm just a lot quieter and slower to open up in person.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am trying to allow myself to be more open on the forum. IRL I tend to keep most people at arms distance. Part of my reason for joining the forum was to do this, and hopefully allow myself to do so IRL. I am very, very introverted and have more excuses to get out of socializing than anyone should. And I also don't want it to impact my son's life as he grows up.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=25892]Smilephantomhive[/MENTION] [MENTION=14015]Evolving Transparency[/MENTION] do I seem the same?

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, you got one out of three right, Jack.

I was gonna say that. [MENTION=30038]Gentleman Jack[/MENTION] is not plain or simple.