• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi Function "Selfish" ... Uh nope?

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi function is about one's setting up his morale, values. Fi users easily able to put themselves in the shoes of others (And see from their perspective), it can value people close to it, it easily build's It's emotional intelligence, and does not push their points on others.

They may do best to give care to those it values.

So explain the dumb me; How is Fi "Selfish"? I mean sure Fi is focused on It's own emotions (Which is kind of a Self-focus), but how the fuck it is selfish in anyway?

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Fi function is about one's setting up his morale, values. Fi users easily able to put themselves in the shoes of others (And see from their perspective), it can value people close to it, it easily build's It's emotional intelligence, and does not push their points on others.

They may do best to give care to those it values.

So explain the dumb me; How is Fi "Selfish"? I mean sure Fi is focused on It's own emotions (Which is kind of a Self-focus), but how the fuck it is selfish in anyway?

Fi isn't selfish. But it definitely is oblivious sometimes. The problem is that INFPs and ISFPs (both Fi-Doms) emphasize their dominant Introverted Feeling, which means they tend to live in their heads. Click on the following two links; at the bottom of each page is a list of the faults of both personality types. Those pages definitely paint a picture of two personality types that can be quite oblivious and clueless about people and the world around them.

INFP: INFP Personal Growth
ISFP: ISFP Personal Growth

To get more awareness of the world around them, both of those personality types need to work on their auxiliary Extroverted function as well and strengthen it: Ne for INFPs and Se for ISFPs.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"May value their own opinions and feelings far above others" and "May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view"

Bullshit, Fi users are liberal in terms of opinions and wont push them on others. As I said previously, Fi users can put themselves in the shoes of others and see from their perspective, whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

"May be unaware of appropriate social behavior" and "May be unaware of how their behavior affects others"

That's Inferior Fe, It's not an Fi-dom issue. Fi users are most self-aware types that you'll find out there.

"May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper"

Bad temper isn't fixed specificaly to IxFP's, any type with repressed emotions is prone to that.

Are you are seriously relying on some old, outdated source, website such as personalitypage.com that even wrote their personality type descriptions in most stereotyped way possible?

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
"May value their own opinions and feelings far above others" and "May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view"

Bullshit, Fi users are liberal in terms of opinions and wont push them on others. As I said previously, Fi users can put themselves in the shoes of others and see from their perspective, whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

"May be unaware of appropriate social behavior" and "May be unaware of how their behavior affects others"

That's Inferior Fe, It's not an Fi-dom issue. Fi users are most self-aware types that you'll find out there.

"May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper"

Bad temper isn't fixed specificaly to IxFP's, any type with repressed emotions is prone to that.

Whatever. I've seen some pretty oblivious, self-centered INFPs and ISFPs. I would say that those descriptions of Fi-Dom faults are pretty accurate, at least for the more immature ISFPs and INFPs. (I'm an INFP myself, and I have an ISFP younger brother. So I'm pretty aware of how both personality types operate.)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Fi can be selfish as a negative counterpart to authenticity. Fi wants a person to authentically be themself, but that can cross over into overly focusing on the self at the expense of others.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi can be selfish as a negative counterpart to authenticity. Fi wants a person to authentically be themself, but that can cross over into overly focusing on the self at the expense of others.

That seems like more of a Narcissism, Cognitive Functions arent Mental illnesses or Personality disorders.

Whatever. I've seen some pretty oblivious, self-centered INFPs and ISFPs. I would say that those descriptions of Fi-Dom faults are pretty accurate, at least for the more immature ISFPs and INFPs. (I'm an INFP myself, and I have an ISFP younger brother. So I'm pretty aware of how both personality types operate.)

Then they perhaps arent IxFP's, I doubt it an Fi dominant user would be self-centered from the criterias I made in my first post.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Then they perhaps arent IxFP's, I doubt it an Fi dominant user would be self-centered from the criterias I made in my first post.

Maybe that's just a result of you being self-centered and having an overly-high opinion of yourself and your type. :)

What can I say. As I pointed out in my first post in this thread, the experts at PersonalityPage.com disagree with you. And so do I.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What can I say. As I pointed out in my first post in this thread, the experts at PersonalityPage.com disagree with you. And so do I. :)

You can disagree, but facts are facts. Just because they call themselves "experts" (That's bold), does not mean their opinions on this are valid.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
You can disagree, but facts are facts. Just because they call themselves "experts" (That's bold), does not mean their opinions on this are valid.

I haven't seen any facts yet on your side. Just opinions. :shrug: At least I actually provided some material from experts on the subject.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll drop out of this thread; I'm not looking for a fight. I'm just pointing out that every personality type has shortcomings. Fi-Doms are no exception. Fi-Doms have shortcomings like all the rest of the personality types. In the case of Fi-Doms, one of our main shortcomings is that we tend to live in our heads more than most. It's not selfishness, but it does tend to result in a certain amount of self-centeredness. That's all.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe that's just a result of you being self-centered and having an overly-high opinion of yourself and your type. :)

What can I say. As I pointed out in my first post in this thread, the experts at PersonalityPage.com disagree with you. And so do I.

I haven't seen any facts yet on your side. Just opinions. :shrug: At least I actually provided some material from experts on the subject.

Wow, just love those sneaky roasts you edited up in your post, and then you blame me for being self-centered.

I dont want to debate, but any other types can easily suffer from being self-centered. EJ types can hung on perfectionism, and because of that they can become self-centered and absorbed with self-image, an TJ would get unhealthy Te, be overly-assertive which results in self-centered attitude because it cares only about achieving It's own success at the expense of others. Vice-versa for any MBTI type. Sorry dude, being self-centered isnt exclusive to IxFPs.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
That seems like more of a Narcissism, Cognitive Functions arent Mental illnesses or Personality disorders.

It's a different form of self-focus than narcissism, however yes the cognitive functions in their unhealthy forms do actually cross over into personality disorders.

Fi doesn't cross over into narcissism really, more like avoidant and dependent. Fi dominants can becoming overly focused on their short-comings for instance. They get self-absorbed in their uniqueness and such.

Narcissists are more Te. They focus on rank and being "the best".

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Oh and by the way, [MENTION=33777]Charus[/MENTION], you do actually sound unhealthy. Disordered one way or another.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh and by the way, [MENTION=33777]Charus[/MENTION], you do actually sound unhealthy. Disordered one way or another.

In which manner or shape?

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Negativity.

That ... That doesnt tell much. I created this thread to ask people exactly why Fi is considered "Selfish", I just replied to posts with critisim on things I disagreed with. I mean look, It's not my fault that people have to instigate it into a full fledged fight and take it all very literaly in the face and become bitterly cynic and then run out away. I'm simply doing my job here by pointing anything that seems incorrect.

Can you give detailed explanation by what you mean me being "Disordered"? What kind of 'Unhealthy' I am? Does that mean I'm not an ISFP?

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What happened, after you finished humiliating me you pussied out of the thread? fucking dickheads, no wonder the typology community is so toxic, barbarian filled.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Both Fi and Ti are self-directed, so selfishness can in fact enter the picture. They simply aren't always going to be willing to move for other people, even moreso than what is typically seen with Fe or Te.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Also, they are less likely to press others to move toward them, unlike Fe and Te which will be more interested in getting people on board with one another to some extent.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are also different sorts of self-centeredness. I think the word "selfish" implies actively taking things away from other people. There is an implicit cost of being a selfish person and it means you don't care about the needs of others, but take from them to gain something yourself.

I think the term "self-centered" tends to be seen the same way, but I see it as a broader definition. I've known self-centered people who were very kind and even generous, but they tended to live most of the time in their own little world neither taking or giving that much, so their life wasn't based on constant transactions with others, whether giving or taking.

I have a sort of dichotomy here where I can get overly swept away into the needs of someone else, or close myself off into my own little world. I don't have as strong a need to have social validation, so I don't need to have exchanges with others and have them tell me how kind or generous I am, and so I don't have the same motivation as people who need this a part of their identity. Please know that I think people who do need that are very helpful and good in the world. I don't mean that it's bad just because they get something out of it too. That's good.

I think i am a little self-centered, actually, but I think I am a kind, generous, and well-meaning person, but unlike an extrovert or Fe driven person, I'm not always involved with people for good or bad, so I don't do as much good and help as they do. I am more often lost in my own funny little world, and I can be oblivious to others, but I also don't ask that much of others, so my inner ethics are consistent. I also try to give something to the world through creating art, so it is an expression of that solitary little inner world, and a way for me to connect without connecting.

Edit: The times I've gotten very swept away into the needs of someone else, there was always a sense of trauma and emergency. I gave it a name, "panic attachment" because sometimes it was ongoing relational style and not a single incident.