• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Explain islam and how it intermixes with the bible

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's give Islam the extra 500 years that Christianity took to mature into the 'ideal' religion ;) :)
I would like a dollar for every time I have pointed out the disparity in age between the two faiths, and the hope that Islam will catch up more quickly due to modern communication technology.

Do you know anything about the Bahai faith? They are the newest "religion of the book", growing out of Islam much as Christianity did out of Judaism.

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I would like a dollar for every time I have pointed out the disparity in age between the two faiths, and the hope that Islam will catch up more quickly due to modern communication technology.

Do you know anything about the Bahai faith? They are the newest "religion of the book", growing out of Islam much as Christianity did out of Judaism.

I have not read enough to have an educated conversation about them. But I do like the idea of combining different religions. I hope that it leads to a move away from organized religion with much greater emphasis on true individuality. That said, I do not think you or I will see that day!

Mole

Permabanned
I have not read enough to have an educated conversation about them. But I do like the idea of combining different religions. I hope that it leads to a move away from organized religion with much greater emphasis on true individuality. That said, I do not think you or I will see that day!

The news is individuality is dead, and electronic tribalism lives.

Individuality is a function of literacy, a function of the printing press and the book, but the book is now the content of the internet.

With individuality dead the only thing that matters is what etribe we belong to. And we belong to the etribe of typology central.

Is this a good tribe to belong to? Does it tell the truth about personality? Does it reify persons into objects that can be fitted into the economy? Is it a frank and open appeal to narcissism? Is it successful because it appeals to the worst in us? Why is it so difficult to leave? Does it close down the mind or open it up?

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
The news is individuality is dead, and electronic tribalism lives.

Individuality is a function of literacy, a function of the printing press and the book, but the book is now the content of the internet.

With individuality dead the only thing that matters is what etribe we belong to. And we belong to the etribe of typology central.

Is this a good tribe to belong to? Does it tell the truth about personality? Does it reify persons into objects that can be fitted into the economy? Is it a frank and open appeal to narcissism? Is it successful because it appeals to the worst in us? Why is it so difficult to leave? Does it close down the mind or open it up?

I do not believe that everyone behaves in that fixed manner. I believe in striving for the truth but not claiming to know what that truth is. Furthermore, I believe there are people who keep themselves away from both, religion and 'etribes'. Those who ponder will always look for answers, and new answers and more answers. Personality types are generalizations. I see a lot in common with my type, but I am a different person with different experiences, belief systems and behavioral patterns (or the lack of).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Logically speaking, God cannot be both a Trinity and also not a Trinity at the same time. In addition, Jesus cannot be both God in flesh (second person of the Trinity) and also not God in flesh. Therefore, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam do not believe in nor worship the same God.

Can some please explain his thought to me. The above quote is what alot of christians use to prove that God and Allah are different.

Please explain how this works. The quran states Moses God, Noahs God, Jesus's God, abrahams God, The God that made heaven and earth, the God that created Adam, and split the nile, and went against the pharoahs, etc. Is Allah.

Yet because the believe Jesus is not God they must be different.

This just sounds like cherry picking to the extreme.

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Can some please explain his thought to me. The above quote is what alot of christians use to prove that God and Allah are different.

Please explain how this works. The quran states Moses God, Noahs God, Jesus's God, abrahams God, The God that made heaven and earth, the God that created Adam, and split the nile, and went against the pharoahs, etc. Is Allah.

The concept of Trinity is missing from the Quran. The belief is that god sent Moses, Jesus and Mohammad as his prophets. That the Bible is the word of god but it has been corrupted over time. A simple way to look at it is: if god did exist, wouldn't everyone have the same god despite them having different names?

Mole

Permabanned
The concept of Trinity is missing

The Hindu religion worships a God called Ganesh. And Ganesh has the head of an elephant.

Christianity has taken it to a new level and worships the Trinity. And the Trinity has three heads.

So which God is more plausible - the God with the head of an elephant, or the God with three heads?

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
The Hindu religion worships a God called Ganesh. And Ganesh has the head of an elephant.

Christianity has taken it to a new level and worships the Trinity. And the Trinity has three heads.

So which God is more plausible - the God with the head of an elephant, or the God with three heads?

I don't think plausibility is s constructive method. You can't talk about an abstract idea if you want to approach it through faith or by saying one is more plausible than the other. Plus, it doesn't matter what god looks like, if such a thing did exist.

Krista

The father sent the son to deliver the holy spirit; the holy spirit is the identity and congregation of the church, and has communion with Christ to be reintegrated with the father. Christians and Muslims don't believe in the same God by virtue of not following the same teaching or spirit.
Islam is prohibition oriented, and Christianity is essentially the opposite: Christianity is strictly about having personal communion with Christ because, as Jesus said in the sermon on the mount, no one can ever fulfil the laws of the prophets, and can only attain eternal life through Christ, which means it's based on personal conscience, and not on following laws to be moral (like the Pharisees). Islam is also partly inspired by Arius' interpretation.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I just hope for the day that people can understand what religion tells them and not how can i use this to defend my wants, actions, and control people.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The father sent the son to deliver the holy spirit; the holy spirit is the identity and congregation of the church, and has communion with Christ to be reintegrated with the father. Christians and Muslims don't believe in the same God by virtue of not following the same teaching or spirit.
Islam is prohibition oriented, and Christianity is essentially the opposite: Christianity is strictly about having personal communion with Christ because, as Jesus said in the sermon on the mount, no one can ever fulfil the laws of the prophets, and can only attain eternal life through Christ, which means it's based on personal conscience, and not on following laws to be moral (like the Pharisees). Islam is also partly inspired by Arius' interpretation.

Thanks, thats what i was looking for actually. Christians have wrapped so much of their belief around Jesus that it causes a conflicting mindset to consider that Allah and God christians refer to can be the same person. Like a disgust, offended, distaste. Its so strong that even if the stories align very much as well as who God is and believes they refuse to accept it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Thanks, thats what i was looking for actually. Christians have wrapped so much of their belief around Jesus that it causes a conflicting mindset to consider that Allah and God christians refer to can be the same person. Like a disgust, offended, distaste. Its so strong that even if the stories align very much as well as who God is and believes they refuse to accept it.

Have you read quran?

Mole

Permabanned
I don't think plausibility is s constructive method. You can't talk about an abstract idea if you want to approach it through faith or by saying one is more plausible than the other. Plus, it doesn't matter what god looks like, if such a thing did exist.

Of course the existence of a God does not depend on evidence and reason, but simply faith. And the more preposterous a God appears, such as with the head of an elephant as does Ganesh, or such as with three heads as does the Trinity, the more faith we need. But sometimes we can't stop ourselves from laughing.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Good grief. This is cherry picking to the extreme, or mental gymnastics. This all says far more about what people think God is than about what God actually is. The ultimate blasphemy is to put limits on God: God can be this but not that.

Whether or not God even exists is completely independent of whether anyone believes in God. There either is or isn't a God. The fact that we don't know and cannot really know, at least not in this life, doesn't change the reality of what is (or isn't) out there. From this it follows that the nature of God is what it is, irrespective of what we think it is. What this means is that all of our perspectives on God can be right, or to paraphrase the Bahais, at least all perspectives that bear good fruit.

Christians have the trinity. Muslims have the 99 most wondrous names of God. Hindus have Ganesh, Shiva, Laksmi, Kali, Krishna, etc. etc. Other faiths have their diverse views of God. Why is this so controversial? If God truly is infinite, how can one human or even one church fathom the totality that is God? Why is it surprising if God appears one way to one person, and another way to a second, or even different to the child than to the man he becomes? Even we limited humans do that. Look at some random guy at work, or in your neighborhood. To his parents, he is Son; to his wife, he is Husband; to his children, Father; to his friends, Friend; to his boss, Office Manager; to the Cub Scouts, Scout Master; to the grocery store, Customer; etc. We don't fight over these different views of people. Why do it about God?

The concept of Trinity is missing from the Quran. The belief is that god sent Moses, Jesus and Mohammad as his prophets. That the Bible is the word of god but it has been corrupted over time. A simple way to look at it is: if god did exist, wouldn't everyone have the same god despite them having different names?
Exactly.

I just hope for the day that people can understand what religion tells them and not how can i use this to defend my wants, actions, and control people.
Some religions do tell their followers to control people.

Of course the existence of a God does not depend on evidence and reason, but simply faith. And the more preposterous a God appears, such as with the head of an elephant as does Ganesh, or such as with three heads as does the Trinity, the more faith we need. But sometimes we can't stop ourselves from laughing.
So do you expect God to look like us instead? Man creates God in his own image indeed. And religion overall could use more humor. Bill Cosby did at least one thing right.

Mole

Permabanned
Trance, Religion, and Sex

religion overall could use more humour.

There is a reason religions are not very humorous. It is because we don't experience humour in a trance. And the bible, both old and new testament, were written in a religious trance, as was the koran, as was the bhagavad gita.

It is odd to find so little humour in ancient sacred texts until we learn that in a trance some higher faculties, such as critical thinking and humour, are turned off, and lower faculties, such as suggestibility and uncritical belief, are turned on.

And this is true of any trance, not only the religious trance. For instance, in the sexual trance critical thinking and humour are also turned off. In fact one of the worst things we can do while we are making love is to laugh at our partner. This is almost unforgivable.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And this is true of any trance, not only the religious trance. For instance, in the sexual trance critical thinking and humour are also turned off. In fact one of the worst things we can do while we are making love is to laugh at our partner. This is almost unforgivable.
Really? I would take laughter as a sign that my partner is enjoying himself. Pagans find plenty of humor in religion, but then we are not a "religion of the book".

Mole

Permabanned
Really? I would take laughter as a sign that my partner is enjoying himself.

If we laugh at our partner while we are making love, we kill the sexual trance, we kill the sexual mood, our sexual feelings are turned off. This can come as a sudden shock, and in the less emotionally restrained can lead to sudden involuntary violence.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we laugh at our partner while we are making love, we kill the sexual trance, we kill the sexual mood, our sexual feelings are turned off. This can come as a sudden shock, and in the less emotionally restrained can lead to sudden involuntary violence.
That must explain it then.

Krista

Good grief. This is cherry picking to the extreme, or mental gymnastics. This all says far more about what people think God is than about what God actually is. The ultimate blasphemy is to put limits on God: God can be this but not that.

I explained the trinity and why Christianity and Islam are incompatible. Your rant doesn't follow.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I explained the trinity and why Christianity and Islam are incompatible. Your rant doesn't follow.
If you actually read what I wrote instead of dismissing it as a rant, you would see that it speaks directly to Poki's concern about whether Muslims, Christians, and Jews worshipped the same God. Your description of the trinity is accounted for. I am making a distinction here between reality and belief. Whatever incompatibility exists between Christianity and Islam must be found elsewhere.