• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Escape Through Alternate Internal Worlds

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I was driving home today from a day of exploring and walking around the city with my camera in hand. Fun day! But I noticed something on the drive home, and that's that I can find myself wrapped up in this alternate reality for a moment, usually spurred on by an idea, a song, whatever. But for a brief moment, I will almost feel like a different person, living out this other life. Oh, clothing can do this for me too. My closet actually has a wide variety of clothing styles, and depending on "who" I want to be for the day, I'll throw on that persona in a way. Well, it's not quite that conscious, but I am aware enough of it. The thing is, while I am escaping my current world and getting myself into the shoes of this other, I find it so fascinating and fun. I don't think I do this because I am dissatisfied with my current situation, there really isn't a reason for me to feel so really, but I think...it may just be another creative outlet for me??

Can anyone relate to this?

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do relate to this quite a bit. I often feel like I get to decide who I can be for the day and it depends greatly on my mood. But yes alternate realities do exist in my head too. Like if I watch a movie or read a book, play a game, I can just be one of the characters for a while. Sometimes I like to imagine the conflict happening in the media is happening in real life. I love pretending conspiracy theories are real and looking around for signs that something's going on. But it isn't pretending - it sometimes feels real.

Could this be the Ne we share?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I also do that kinda thing in which I go into a world of my own. In fact most people say I am in a world of my own 24/7. If im walking around one will see me with a dazed far away look in my eyes and thats coz im daydreaming in my own world in which I could be imagining say the room is biiger or smaller than its real size or that the guy over there has two heads. I just think its me doing it outta boredom.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Most definitely... It's a bit like an emergency exit...

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Most definitely... It's a bit like an emergency exit...

That does make sense for that kinda thing. A lot of people who are stressed out or unhappy with life in general often dissociate from whats happening around them and retreat into their imaginations to avoid the sadness from the outside world. I know Ive done that kinda thing when im stressed out.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. Clothing, hair, etc. Sometimes this is good if you can learn to manipulate it and use it to your advantage. Adds leverage to your personality and in your interactions with others.

Do you also feel like this when you change your forum avatars?

The Cat

Staff member
Not really, personally, there's a certain aesthetic in mind, but its more to reflect whats inside atm. Clothes sometimes yes, I have to manifest the change I want to feel inside from the outside in, but how I dress really has nothing to do with anything or anyone else, and everything to do with what I feel "normal" wearing atm. But that's just me...

816fdc1bd551260eca6908d52c166a85.jpg

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reality can look and feel differently to me depending on context. The way i look in the mirror can be conceptually varied. There was a week where I saw myself in the mirror as though through the eyes of my recently deceased dog. The forms were less distinct, but there was a certain, doggy feeling about it. The other night when i glanced in the mirror it felt like I was looking back through time a billion years at this odd little, concrete creature called a human and wondered for a moment what it must be like to be a human, as though I wasn't me, but just looking at me. There are many other ways I've seen myself, but it's not worth describing, but the variations are countless.

I feel like there is one true deep persona inside me that I'm not allowed to be most of the time. The other personas are also me, but they are like the colors that come out through the prism, but I actually feel like I am the prism, only it's an invisible crystal.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely. I do it less, now, but I used to feel very helpless and had little in my control, so I would escape through my imagination. I'd like to make up stories in my head where one of my book characters came and took me away to their world, or where something in my past had gone differently and now I was in a different situation. Now, I have more control of my life and am able to make changes if I don't like something, instead of having to simply check out, so am less likely to do this. I am still quite day-dreamy though.

I also do that kinda thing in which I go into a world of my own. In fact most people say I am in a world of my own 24/7. If im walking around one will see me with a dazed far away look in my eyes and thats coz im daydreaming in my own world in which I could be imagining say the room is biiger or smaller than its real size or that the guy over there has two heads. I just think its me doing it outta boredom.

LOL my family has this thing where if they see me staring into nothing they'll be like "warming, unscheduled, unauthorized off world activation!" It's from the TV show Stargate SG1.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was driving home today from a day of exploring and walking around the city with my camera in hand. Fun day! But I noticed something on the drive home, and that's that I can find myself wrapped up in this alternate reality for a moment, usually spurred on by an idea, a song, whatever. But for a brief moment, I will almost feel like a different person, living out this other life. Oh, clothing can do this for me too. My closet actually has a wide variety of clothing styles, and depending on "who" I want to be for the day, I'll throw on that persona in a way. Well, it's not quite that conscious, but I am aware enough of it. The thing is, while I am escaping my current world and getting myself into the shoes of this other, I find it so fascinating and fun. I don't think I do this because I am dissatisfied with my current situation, there really isn't a reason for me to feel so really, but I think...it may just be another creative outlet for me??

Can anyone relate to this?
I have my own version of this, though mine really is almost entirely internal. I do not, for instance, use clothing or hairstyle to step into the shoes of some "other" for the day. In fact, I value instead keeping a very consistent outward appearance. I don't want it to reflect anything about my changing thoughts or imaginings from day to day. I don't want it to attract curiosity or commentary.

My version usually involves essentially spinning a story in my head, picturing the setting, other characters, down to exact dialog and how it would be delivered, much as one might note on a script. Several years ago I made an 8-hour long drive alone. I had a good variety of music to listen to for distraction and entertainment, and the radio for occasional news. I never turned any of it on. I made the entire drive alone, in silence, developing one specific storyline in my head. I still wasn't done when I arrived at my destination, and was rather annoyed that the trip hadn't taken just a bit longer.

Not really, personally, there's a certain aesthetic in mind, but its more to reflect whats inside atm. Clothes sometimes yes, I have to manifest the change I want to feel inside from the outside in, but how I dress really has nothing to do with anything or anyone else, and everything to do with what I feel "normal" wearing atm. But that's just me...
I agree with dressing in what feels "normal". This has adjusted a bit over the years, but becoming less varied. Fewer decisions. Everything goes with everything else, so more efficient. At some point I just stopped trying to wear what others would wear for various situations, or what was "normal" to wear. I will try out a new style occasionally. Usually they feel too weird and don't last in my wardrobe.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have my own version of this, though mine really is almost entirely internal. I do not, for instance, use clothing or hairstyle to step into the shoes of some "other" for the day. In fact, I value instead keeping a very consistent outward appearance. I don't want it to reflect anything about my changing thoughts or imaginings from day to day. I don't want it to attract curiosity or commentary.

My version usually involves essentially spinning a story in my head, picturing the setting, other characters, down to exact dialog and how it would be delivered, much as one might note on a script. Several years ago I made an 8-hour long drive alone. I had a good variety of music to listen to for distraction and entertainment, and the radio for occasional news. I never turned any of it on. I made the entire drive alone, in silence, developing one specific storyline in my head. I still wasn't done when I arrived at my destination, and was rather annoyed that the trip hadn't taken just a bit longer.

There was a period last year when I was driving back and forth from Southern California to my parent's home in Tahoe, about an 8 1/2hr drive, about every other week. I used to really enjoy that time alone as I would spend the time lost in thought. I never stayed on one thought long enough to develop an entire story with dialogue and all, but I would use the time to allow my mind to flow from various thoughts on its own time. Day-to-day routine means that I'm directing, well trying, my thoughts here and there, but to allow my mind to meander and wander is such a relaxing experience. Typically during those drives, I would also turn on some music that I typically listen to when I want to encourage some creativity, usually Alternative rock, Coldplay is always a crowd pleaser, oh, the Scientist, my favorite for letting my thoughts wander!

Have you ever written any of this material down once arriving at your destination? Or do you still remember the stories as though they were actual memories of yours?

Yes, this happens quite often to me; escapism is like my middle name. I have my own alternate realities that play in my mind like a television show. I even have playlists dedicated to these daydreams all in chronological order. I know, I’m weird, ha. I always find time throughout my day to idealize about something, whether it is something in the distant future or a possibility that can happen anytime soon. Sometimes I get so fed up with reality that I need to imprint my ideas somewhere, so I look into some kind of creative outlet to let my ideas flow naturally. For me, that would be coloring my inner world on a canvas. It’s amazing to see a part of your own imagination on something tangible, something you can leave behind and feel proud of before you die. I need a part of that to be shared with the world in order to be content, but I keep a lot of it for myself to enjoy as well because it is like my own hidden sanctuary.

Another thing is that I find my daydreams to be most prominent when I am in my own comfort zone, usually working on something creative, like a painting or a DIY project. It is most stimulated when I blast my music loudly and just zone out for the moment. It’s one of the most exhilarating feelings for me, almost as if I am back to being the purest essence of a child again at one with the universe. I feel so alive during that moment, as if I am in a trance-like state of meditation. A sober intoxication, perhaps, would be a good way for me to describe it.

Clothing can make or break how I feel during the day, but as others have said it has to reflect on my mood or image in mind for the day. If I was dressed differently than how I would prefer to dress, I would feel like I was being an inauthentic version of myself. I like exploring with different, unique clothing and accessories, but not to the point where I would deviate from who I am as a person.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was a period last year when I was driving back and forth from Southern California to my parent's home in Tahoe, about an 8 1/2hr drive, about every other week. I used to really enjoy that time alone as I would spend the time lost in thought. I never stayed on one thought long enough to develop an entire story with dialogue and all, but I would use the time to allow my mind to flow from various thoughts on its own time. Day-to-day routine means that I'm directing, well trying, my thoughts here and there, but to allow my mind to meander and wander is such a relaxing experience. Typically during those drives, I would also turn on some music that I typically listen to when I want to encourage some creativity, usually Alternative rock, Coldplay is always a crowd pleaser, oh, the Scientist, my favorite for letting my thoughts wander!

Have you ever written any of this material down once arriving at your destination? Or do you still remember the stories as though they were actual memories of yours?
Alas, I have never written any of it down. The example I mentioned was long enough ago now that I only vaguely remember the general story line. It involved a fantasy series I had been reading. More recent examples I remember more clearly. I'm not sure the writing would be worth the time and effort it would take.

As an aside, I cannot figure out the appeal of Coldplay, and especially that specific song. It always seemed rather lame to me. Insipid lyrics, sloppy delivery, and title doesn't seem to have anything to do with the content. Why do you enjoy it? What do you see in it?

á´…eparted

passages
I don't escape to the depth that you seem to. The closest I come to this is imagining myself in the universe/world of a movie I just saw or a story I just read. Even then it's sort of fragmented and exsists as "scenes" or summaries of a larger story. It can feel very immersive, but the world has to be well constructed. Sometimes songs will come sort of "pre-designed" with some sort of world with it, but it greatly depends and is unpredictable.

Another close example would be my D&D campaign. I've written 300-400 pages of stuff designing that world. A few characters have long stories associated with them. I also have rather clear images in my head of what locations look like and such. To me, that world feels very real and tangible. I hope to turn it into a novel many years down the line. I put a lot of concerted effort into thinking about this world and writing it all down, but it was very important for me to detail out the mechanics and physics and stuff.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I'd say this accounts for maybe 1/3 of my daydreams? The other 2/3 are more directed towards my life and what it all means at the end of the day. How, everything around me makes sense for me and what I will ultimately take from the experiences I embark on. But that 1/3, is where I am literally just playing with the environment around me, much in the way you provided. The best daydreams are the ones that flip physics inside out and nothing and everything begins to make absolutely no sense such as say, crying babies falling from some heavenly clouds above. Well, that's a horrible example, but usually the daydreams will be more my interpretations on the world and how I would personally rather have it be. Not like an idealized world, but eh, like a brainstorm in progress unfolding around me. I'd think, oh! what if that skyscraper were partly made of rock or titanium and what kind of reflections that would cast on the people below? What sort of significance would that represent for man, where we have come, and where we will go next? Ahh...I love it. Sometimes it can be hard to leave such thoughts :)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Alas, I have never written any of it down. The example I mentioned was long enough ago now that I only vaguely remember the general story line. It involved a fantasy series I had been reading. More recent examples I remember more clearly. I'm not sure the writing would be worth the time and effort it would take.

Question I have, is do you think thinking of such things does something for you? Do you find it as an exercise of some sort, giving your mind room to compose this story without need or purpose, or really, a purpose for the sole beauty that is creation, under no pretense for time. Unfortunately though, 8 hours actually wasn't enough time. Now, these stories, are you ever a part of it? Or are you usually crafting this world as its author? I feel both would offer something unique and invigorating for me.

As an aside, I cannot figure out the appeal of Coldplay, and especially that specific song. It always seemed rather lame to me. Insipid lyrics, sloppy delivery, and title doesn't seem to have anything to do with the content. Why do you enjoy it? What do you see in it?

Now, responding to this is a tough task, as you're asking me to dig deep within to find the draw of the song on me. Ok, Ne/Fi...let's do this! :happy2:

So, for whatever song I seem to latch onto, it taps into a part of me that feels so true and deep. For reasons, I cannot always explain. For the Scientist though, oh, "Fix You" is another song of Coldplay I enjoy. But I would say, what I love about The Scientist is actually in its monotony and lack of fluctuation in sound. It's quite literally, a physical representation for me, for permanence and time everlasting. It represents a sustained emotion for me, an emotion that is hmm...well it makes me feel content? No, not that, but like bits of sadness, with bits of hope. Perhaps a hope for a better day, or hope that I will make it through this current struggle, either real or imagined. It is hard for me to place trust in emotions that are fleeting, and the sustained ones, are those that I see more pressing, and more worthy of my time. When I reflect on whether I believe I am headed in the right direction in life or not, I reflect on these longer lasting emotions. They tend to be more abstract and obscure unfortunately, and require much longer to decipher, but I feel these layers of emotions also hold a key for unlocking unknown truths about myself. What those truths are or how they will be presented to me is a mystery, but not one that I fear discovering.

Why do I enjoy listening to The Scientist? Because it parallels my understanding of those deeper, more abstract, sustained emotions and mysteries hidden within, and in some way, listening to that song, in concert with solitude and a freed mind, brings me closer to tapping into those areas.

...ok, just came back up for air, now what did I just write?? :unsure:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I do relate to this quite a bit. I often feel like I get to decide who I can be for the day and it depends greatly on my mood. But yes alternate realities do exist in my head too. Like if I watch a movie or read a book, play a game, I can just be one of the characters for a while. Sometimes I like to imagine the conflict happening in the media is happening in real life. I love pretending conspiracy theories are real and looking around for signs that something's going on. But it isn't pretending - it sometimes feels real.

Could this be the Ne we share?

That last part you mention, of your fantasies feeling almost real at times...I know exactly what that's like, it's crazy! These visualizations and thoughts can sometimes blur with memory for me, and I'd be at a loss for words if you told me some memory of mine, didn't actually happen. I think a potential danger to all this, is that these imaginations feel so real, that working towards the realization of a dream, almost feels unnecessary at times. I mean, why would you spend the time and effort towards working for a reality, when you can essentially enjoy that reality in a heartbeat, in your mind. Sure, that would largely be a fabricated reality though. That may sound backwards to some people, but if I try hard enough, say, winning some architectural design competition in my mind, can almost feel as satisfying for me, as the real thing.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I relate a little too much. I am often more connected to these alternate realities in my head than reality as it is happening. I have a constant story running alongside stuff as it happens, and I often find it more stimulating than whatever is going on around me. It may even simply be that moment but with more interesting things or people in it. It is often spurred or fed by something in my environment too. Hard to explain that you're late because some object caught your eye and your brain went on a fantasy tangent.... And I definitely do the clothes thing. Outfits seem to embody moods as if I am personifying emotion.

The Cat

Staff member
In my reckoning hotels are palaces, radio towers are wizard spires, I'm not particularly beholden the outer world as the inner. I fear loosing the ability to see and experience these things, far more than the "normalcy" of the mundane...

53e79d6f068fb5e516db13ac98c8bec5.jpg

Some beans are worth a dozen cows...and then some...