• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram and Meditation

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm interested to hear how the good people of Typology Central experience meditation and how they feel their enneagram type affects this experience (if at all). So, for those of you who meditate or have meditated or have ever tried to meditate, what do you hope to get out of it? Are you targeting any particular issues?

What's your preferred style of meditation? How did you come across it? Did you adapt it to fit you better and if so, how? Or do you experiment with different styles?

What are the biggest challenges you face while meditating? (e.g. easily distracted, can't sit still, get bored, get overwhelmed, etc.) Do you feel these relate to your enneagram or tritype? How?

:hippie:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am currently doing a meditation technique called vipassana/satipattana. I am practicing it daily. The best part of vipassana meditation is you DON'T have to go to a quite place, sit down and relax. You can and you are suppose to practice is as you go about your daily activities.

(What most people think of when the word meditation is SAMATHA meditation (concentrated focused meditation) where one is suppose to meditate in a private place.)

E7 throws a few pros and cons in meditating.

-----

I will get back to this thread more on the above addressing the op later.

Edit - in the west vipassana/satipattana is called mindfulness. It was named by a jewish american.

Last edited:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hate it. For some reason it makes me very angry.

I have why which is something I will come back later for-but not in the mood right now.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I really like it. It helps aid my integration to 9.

Ingrid in grids

I haven't really researched meditation or experimented with many different styles.

I do my own version of meditation when I notice myself fluffing about in nervous energy and not completing tasks efficiently. The goal is to calm and converge all the chaotic thoughts in my head, and create some internal order, in a sense.

My preferred method is quite basic. I just lie flat on my back with my feet up on the wall. Sometimes I have my arms out to the side. I set a timer on my phone for about 15 minutes, close my eyes, and let it happen. The first five minutes is usually the most difficult, but after that point I sink pretty deeply into it without any problems, and after that I feel like I could continue indefinitely. I think I have an easier time with this style of meditation than most. I once did hypnosis (which was quite effective for me), and the kind of deep relaxation induced in those sessions I'd say is similar to what I do. Maybe having done that has helped.

I've also tried mindfulness activities, which I find difficult and don't like as much. It's much easier for me to meditate with no stimuli/as little stimuli as possible. Mindfulness frustrates me because I feel like I should be aware of all the sensations at once, a bit like a hand that can't extend fully into its glove. One time a therapist told me to stand over my sink and play with honey in my hands. But that sort of thing just sets off all these other associated thoughts, which I have difficulty just observing in a detached, non-judgemental manner. I have trouble maintaining the detached observation of both internal and external stimuli.

I'm also an e9w1. I don't know how that fits into all of this. My tritype is possibly 9-3-5. I haven't fully worked it out yet.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My intention in meditating is to listen. I see it as the opposite of prayer, where I speak to God, and try to achieve a state of blankness and openness of mind so I might hear what God has to say to me instead of just the noise of my own thoughts.

When I meditate I prefer to close my eyes to staring past a focal point with an unfocused gaze. Maybe I'll prefer drishti if I become better at it one day, but for now it's too much for my eyes to not respond to for them to be open. With eyes closed, I focus on not consciously generating any new thoughts. The thoughts that do surface, I try to allow to pass through my consciousness without attaching to them.

I guess I've found how I prefer it in some ways. I like to be still, eyes closed, and no to very very soft music is preferred. I struggle not to go down thought trains when one comes up, so literally any stimuli at all makes meditation harder for me. Also physically I have a really hard time not getting the wiggles while meditating. I'd say the going down thought trains and getting the wiggles things are definitely consistent with e7. Also the difficulty not attending to stimuli of any kind. I have a very busy mind most of the time, so within a structured yoga class, I really enjoy the challenge of meditation. It makes me feel a sense of relief and accomplishment. I should really start doing yoga again.

á´…eparted

passages
I hate meditating! I have tried it a bunch and it ultimately does little t9 help. I can't count how many times mindfulness has been recommended to me, and I have tried it a bunch. It helped insofar as making it make a little more sense of how to let stress pass. Ultimately though, it just causes more stress and anxiousness.

Thankfully, my new therapist told me that mindfulness would be bad for me, and in fact meditation is actually counter-productive for some personalities. I was quite pleased to hear that. It is peddled as a cure all, and for some it is great! For some of us though? It doesn't work. I think [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] will feel me with this too.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did sitting meditation (zen) in a temple for a while, but I felt supremely uncomfortable. If Buddhist reincarnation is a thing, then it's not my karma right now to be enlightened, it's to be as human as possible. I often go into different meditative states in different ways, in walking, in driving. Sometimes I gain clarity, sometimes I hear things, and I see things. None of it is what would be called transcendent from a zen point of view.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do well with meditative tasks. Cleaning, organizing, jogging, doing yoga, going for walks, listening to music. Allowing my thoughts and feelings to flow through me while actually getting shit done is something that I've had a lot of success with.

That being said... I hate meditating. At best, I find it mildly relaxing in a tedious way. At worst, it makes me panic. I've had very bad experiences meditating because I have not been able to handle the resulting anxiety.

So...

I hate meditating! I have tried it a bunch and it ultimately does little t9 help. I can't count how many times mindfulness has been recommended to me, and I have tried it a bunch. It helped insofar as making it make a little more sense of how to let stress pass. Ultimately though, it just causes more stress and anxiousness.

Thankfully, my new therapist told me that mindfulness would be bad for me, and in fact meditation is actually counter-productive for some personalities. I was quite pleased to hear that. It is peddled as a cure all, and for some it is great! For some of us though? It doesn't work. I think [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] will feel me with this too.

... Basically this. ^

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had to do guided meditation. It brings up intensely bad things. To be honest, I'm not sure if it still would at this point in my life, or if it still would as much. But I have negative associations with it anyway because of the time periods people had me do meditation in.

The worst guided imagery mediation I ever did was one I actually didn't have to do. It was an acting exercise when I was part of a cast at a medieval faire. It was walking down a path and opening a box and locking a box but no one was prepared for how much that sort of thing fucks with me and they really shouldn't have to be because I was in a semi-professional environment where you can't have meditation related breakdowns. Also, I don't understand how you're supposed to control what's in the box? And what sort of path you're walking down. And whatever other random stuff that starts happening that's not related to the narration.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, for those of you who meditate or have meditated or have ever tried to meditate, what do you hope to get out of it? Are you targeting any particular issues?

I enjoy meditating. I like the feeling of there being an absence to everything. The feeling where I can't tell where my body ends and the bed begins. It's very relieving.

What's your preferred style of meditation? How did you come across it? Did you adapt it to fit you better and if so, how? Or do you experiment with different styles? Recently I have only been doing guided meditation. This is mostly because I find it easier to let my thoughts go, if someone reminds me to do so.

I think exercise and yoga have similar effects, with making me feel one with everything too. I really appreciate the effects.

What are the biggest challenges you face while meditating? (e.g. easily distracted, can't sit still, get bored, get overwhelmed, etc.) Do you feel these relate to your enneagram or tritype? How?

I don't mind sitting still, and I don't get easily distracted or bored.

My challenge is removing the weight of the thought "You could be doing something more productive right now. Stop doing the wrong thing."

I suppose it could have to do with my tritype.
6 - being in my head
3 - desire to achieve
1 - do the right thing

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like it. Mindfulness mediation quiets my mind and helps me have inner peace. The blankness is joyous.

I like Tonglen mediation and found it extremely useful in processing pain and in connecting to others.

I struggle with sitting with my feelings and not falling apart. That type of mediation is really bad for me. But useful in small doses....

I do enjoy tasks and activities that clear the mind and get me fully present.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Tonglen mediation and found it extremely useful in processing pain and in connecting to others.

I believe I tried something similar about a year ago. It was the first time I could remember truly feeling some form of compassion. Those practices take a lot of energy for me though.

I do well with meditative tasks. Cleaning, organizing, jogging, doing yoga, going for walks, listening to music. Allowing my thoughts and feelings to flow through me while actually getting shit done is something that I've had a lot of success with.

That being said... I hate meditating. At best, I find it mildly relaxing in a tedious way. At worst, it makes me panic. I've had very bad experiences meditating because I have not been able to handle the resulting anxiety.

So...

... Basically this. ^

Maybe there is more to this enneatype and meditation thing :thinking:

I often find that my gut does not just want to sit still. Or do anything that my head wants to do, for that matter.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe there is more to this enneatype and meditation thing :thinking:

I often find that my gut does not just want to sit still. Or do anything that my head wants to do, for that matter.
Some of that must be Je. I was talking to [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] a bit ago about ways to relax, and how doing nothing always creates more anxiety than doing something. We weren't talking about meditation but I think this relates.

For e1 I'll bet it also has to do with the deep need for self-control -- and the total lack of self-control that meditation requires. Thoughts [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]?

á´…eparted

passages
Some of that must be Je. I was talking to [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] a bit ago about ways to relax, and how doing nothing always creates more anxiety than doing something. We weren't talking about meditation but I think this relates.

For e1 I'll bet it also has to do with the deep need for self-control -- and the total lack of self-control that meditation requires. Thoughts [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]?

I definitely agree for Je there is a lack of ability to do nothing. If I am doing nothing, or I am doing something that isn't entertaining and isn't for some utility/purpose I get stressed in a matter of minutes. Meditation does have a utility, but it doesn't feel that way so I get so anxious from just sitting doing "nothing".

For e1 I don't think it's lack of self control though. I think? I mean, I am totally ok with letting go of self control if I agree to the terms, and with meditation I do agree with it. I'm not the least bit afraid of what my conscious/subconscious will show me. A completely blank/quiet mind though? THAT is unnerving and I really dislike it. That kinda scares me. As it pertains to e1 I think it's more of "am I doing it right? is this how it's supposed to feel? is this GOOD enough?" I get bent out of shape over doing it wrong, things not being profound enough, real, forced or genuine, and thus wondering if I am just wasting time. It causes a ton of over-thinking during and following it, and shutting that off is WAY too difficult and causes it's own stress.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely agree for Je there is a lack of ability to do nothing. If I am doing nothing, or I am doing something that isn't entertaining and isn't for some utility/purpose I get stressed in a matter of minutes. Meditation does have a utility, but it doesn't feel that way so I get so anxious from just sitting doing "nothing".

Yea, I am like.

I'm not the least bit afraid of what my conscious/subconscious will show me.

This ^ is what I struggle with. If I let go by accident, I get kind of jolted out of it. That's the part that is disturbing.

á´…eparted

passages
Yea, I am like.

This ^ is what I struggle with. If I let go by accident, I get kind of jolted out of it. That's the part that is disturbing.

I've noticed that it's something that T's in general don't do well with. I guess cause I am constantly bombarded with internal stuff, and if I sniff out something dark in myself that I may not have been aware of I sort of go "oooh what is THAT? *swan dive into it*". The way I look at it, it's not like I am going to suddenly discover something that is earth shattering (I do too much natural self-processing for that to happen), or suddenly go crazy at learning some new tidbit or lose control all together.

I guess in a way I don't even need meditation cause that's sort of the purpose of it, to dig up shit and help people process (most forms of meditation anyway). That's already my every day, and I actually need to STOP doing that.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
four or so years. off and on.

it's one of the few times that an utter lack of focus becomes the essence of true focus. talk about playing to my strengths...

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't have the patience for..

(What most people think of when the word meditation is SAMATHA meditation (concentrated focused meditation) where one is suppose to meditate in a private place.)

but I'll have to look deeper into..

I am currently doing a meditation technique called vipassana/satipattana. I am practicing it daily. The best part of vipassana meditation is you DON'T have to go to a quite place, sit down and relax. You can and you are suppose to practice is as you go about your daily activities.

I didn't know that there was a name for this. Seems like it'd be worthwhile alternative to daydreaming when you're doing some tedious chores, like washing dishes or folding clothes or modding a forum.

it's one of the few times that an utter lack of focus becomes the essence of true focus. talk about playing to my strengths...

Wait, can you expound on this? Sounds pretty insightful.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"oooh what is THAT? *swan dive into it*".

:laugh: I would never

I like self-discovery, but I'm not that eager to see the dark side lol. I suppose it could be some type of irrational fear, possibly holding me back from letting go.