• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference between ENTPs and ESTPs?

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
An insight to Ne, written by myself:

Ne thinking is sort of the opposite of discipline; much more so than Se in my books, which creates fixation on a target. Ne doesn’t target anything existing; rather it anti-targets everything existing. It searches for potentials, and will cascade through ideas to do this. And significantly, Ne being extroverted means it’s focused on more, rather than the depth of those ideas (note that Ti examines a lot of things in depth, and can make Ti-Ne thinking seem like Ni).

That doesn’t mean strong Ne will examine every idea imaginable. Some ideas you look into, and there’s nothing more to take out from them. I imagine that inability to recognize which ideas have potential is a sign of lower Ne, because for higher Ne it plays such a central role that what is best described as a sixth sense is developed (although to call it a pure gut feeling seems unfair, as it is essentially quick rational thinking).

So how is that potential defined? I’ll start by saying that I don’t think it’s definable, because Ne is coupled with internal judgment, meaning that the criteria defining this objective potential changes from individual to individual. Thus, a collective definition is virtually impossible to obtain, at least in any tangible form.

Some potential ways Ne-Ti can manifest:

Answering questions with more questions: Ne-Ti communication wants to create possibilities, and of course throwing out questions where answers are expected is the perfect means to do this.
Experience junkie: Ne operates in the present, and needs new stimuli to operate effectively (INTPs who go into recluse mode very quickly end up in Ti-Si loops). This can make Ne and Se look incredibly similar, but Ne is always after things outside the present.

(I say Ne operates in the present. It does, and it doesn’t. It looks to the present, and focuses on things that aren’t there. A good example of this was when watching an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic; the mane characters sat in a circle, each with their own regal chair. I couldn’t help but think the round table, much like in the Legends of King Arthur, was missing, especially as the characters in question were essentially knights of friendship.)

There needs to be… change for the sake of change. This is very much a Pe trait, I think. See the example above for the Ne example, although I admit the above one has more Si than I’d like to use in a perfect explanation. With the anti-matter nature of Ne however, this becomes exceedingly tricky: because how do you explain anything that is trying to destroy its own explanation?

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Based on what i said i found the answer.

If you mention underboob and he starts talking about it. He is ENTP, if he stares blankly he is ESTP.

If you show him underboob and he stares blankly he is ENTP, if he can physically go on and on he is ESTP.

:D :laugh:

Anti-N much? :wink:

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Honestly the difference between ENTP and ESTP is that an estp would go hiking to see the view of the physical world around him, while the entp would go hiking to get a better look at the constellations. Thinking ahead on what lies beyond the stars.

Same activity. Different reasons.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From my experiences, ESTP people are way more loud and aggressively in your face about most things in life. They are an explosion of energy, enjoying their days to the fullest, and are the life of the party.

ENTP people are surprisingly not so outgoing despite being extroverts. They are much more inside their own thoughts and, despite being as charming as the ESTP, they have a more scientific edge to them, and they enjoy tinkering with the possibilities that not as easily seen or felt in a physical way.

skimpit

I've been meaning to post on this thread for a few days now since I like to point out the differences in things.

To me, ENTPs are easier to spot than ESTPs. ESTPs kind of hide and do their own thing, which is weird considering they're written into the 'doer' stereotype who has all these friends and is reckless to the point they'd think killing themselves is fun.

ENTPs are very rough. In like, an oddly gentle way. The Ne makes them heavy and have this dewy appearance. Ne eyes have this certain wonder to them that is very cynical, yet at the same time certain. If you get a vibe like you're being analyzed by one of those giant computers from the 1950s, you probably just met an ENTP, bro. Ne is like a net casting outward, and once it finds its intended target, it pounces with whatever function is helping it. In this case, Ti helps it pin down ideas and search through the net. You could also think of a guy trying to harpoon a whale. Ti the harpoon, the ocean Ne.

ESTPs, on the other hand, are more abstract. You might find this weird though considering sensors don't get stereotyped this way, or have functions that would suggest otherwise. Se is a very hard to define function, despite it seeming rather straightforward. It is rougher than Ne in that instead of a net/sonar system being cast out into the open, it is more like an xray system siphoning through everything it sees and picking up on what's relevant to the person. TiSe works differently than Ne+Ti - whereas in an ENTP an idea can get pinned down quite quickly through Ti and be used by the user to navigate the situation, Se-Ti forces the user to jump on a moving target. It actually makes changes to the environment since it is acting on a very real possibility, which Se is known to locate easily. It's like shooting a gun into glass. Once you do it, it can't be undone. If you shoot a gun through a blanket (Ne), maybe you could sew it back together, idk *shrug shrug*

Since I can't find pictures to illustrate what I'd said, I'll use words.

Se - Ti - Fe - Ni: Backwards from the inferior function, you've basically got a gun ready to be fired. Ni is the bullet, Fe the cock, Ti the aim (or sights), and Se the trigger.

Ne - Ti - Fe - Si: Same here, you've got a type of gun to fire. Except this is a gun more likely out of the movie Ghostbusters, than let's say, Training Day or some other cop movie, eh? Si is the bullet (albeit a quiet bullet, almost as if the gun was operating on a silencer), Fe is the aim (sights), Ti the cock, and Ne the gunpowder. Both types are quite similar, it's just their functions interact differently from the other. Fe in an ENTP is more of a means to the end type F function, because it supports Ti directly in getting a goal it wants. Fe in a ESTP, though, is a bit more like an afterthought which pillows any mistake the ESTP made in going after a goal with Ti. It softens. An ENTP's Fe burns, turns, and twists, and has a more clear Fe flavor to it.

Most of the people in this thread aren't far off, though - especially evilrubberduckie and theforsaken ^^;