• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Common ISFP Issues

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I...have a friend who is extremely shy. Now, I can't say I'm not a bit demanding or a bit of an attention whore, but she would often not reply at all instead of telling a white lie. So she essentially would freeze up and not give me any information to immediately work with...which is HELL to an ESTP.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
My last relationship was with, I think an ISFP and she said she wasn't materialistic and it quickly became apparent that she was in fact very materialistic, very reckless financially. From my very limited understanding I think it might have to do with the extraverted sensing. It craves experiences in the real world and novelty, so buying lots of crap is one way of doing that, seeking out new experiences. I am just repeating what I have read.

cyjwell

MBTI Type
ExTx
they are fun to be around, but can be a little stubborn sometimes

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am a perfectionist with my art. Don't touch it, don't criticise it. I already know its flaws. It has to visually appealing and as perfect as I can make it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on what I've read, some common ISFP issues include:

Sensitivity to criticism - May be very sensitive to criticism and see criticism where none was intended. May even take the fact that another person has a different point of view as criticism.
As one data point, I'll talk about my ISFP mother. I wouldn't say that she is sensitive to criticism because she doesn't have an invested need to gain approval from other people. Her ISTJ sister used to periodically rake her over the coals on the phone, so that is the criticism that had the most potential to hurt her. She would get emotionally sad in response to it, but not because of evaluating the validity of the criticisms and how those relate to her. It was more hurt that her sister would say something to hurt her. She would know that waiting long enough, her sister would give her a subtle apology and everything would go back to normal. She mostly had to do things the way that made sense to her, so the way she managed money and plans was not about right or wrong or the 'best plan', but rather the plan that works for each specific person. My mother was always comfortable doing things the way that made sense to her and she felt that others have a right to do this as well. It was actually really great for me because she never gave me much reason to rebel. She never criticized my choice of college major or career plans.

The only type of criticism that she offered was when she felt upset and even panicked if my sister or I started dating an asshole. Then she would say deliberately shocking things to try to make it stop. She once said that you have to shock people into hearing you. I think her own world was so autonomous, that it may have been the only way to get her attention. I always took those criticisms with a grain of salt because I understood where they were coming from.

In their own world - Because of their dominant Fi, ISFPs may value their feelings and opinions far more than others. The are prone to taking in information that only supports their personal opinions. They can ignore the feelings, perspectives and point of view of others. They may also be unaware of how their behavior affects others. Taken to an extreme, this combination of behaviors can lead others to perceive them as unrealistic, selfish, or eccentric.

Do you agree with these? Other thoughts?
In the case of my mother she was definitely not selfish, but definitely eccentric and at times unrealistic. We lived a bit like gypsies moving around so much. When it comes to ideas and debate, I typically avoid political and religious conversations because those are the only ideas she will actually argue about. It's somewhat out of character, but I suspect a good example of the inferior Te. When I have discussed those with her, I will try to look for the underlying principle that we share and emphasize that. Then I will comment how most people are really trying to accomplish the same thing, they want the same things, but just have different ideas about it.

There are aspects to her personality in me as well, although I'm more analytical, organized, and detached overall, and I may be more adaptable to changing my lifestyle. We both share the dream of living in a little cabin in the woods away from the world. We both love animals, do things the way that makes sense to us, are able to live with plans that are not particularly stable, don't try to control others, but just find a way to live quietly and true to oneself.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a really quiet person, but I feel beauty very deeply. People can't often tell this by looking at me. I keep so much to myself. I like to capture a perspective in my art. I want the art to say something without words, to be a picture of a thousand words.

People don't understand me. I understand way more than people give me credit for. I often get dismissed and ignored in many areas of life. I often feel invisible. If I could just do one thing really well and move people, I think only then will they understand what's inside. I'm shy and just not as eager to speak about what is going on inside.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
You are likely to suffer from ptsd after trying to get them to open up

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are definitely true for me, especially the second one. I am not very good at considering others' feelings. I'm the type who likes to casually poke fun at my friends the same way ESTx types do, because I perceive it as a sign of closeness. Some people do not see it that way at all.

I'm not sure if this is an ISFP thing or just an Fi thing, but I have some issues with identity. I was always changing my "style" when I was younger, which meant changing the way I expressed myself outwardly (through drastically different outfits, different types of social media posts, etc.) I have done it so much that most people can no longer figure out what I like, or what I'm about :p

Oh, and sometimes I go into what I think is Fi-Ni, and I worry about the future and things I can't prevent. It definitely sounds like an ISFP issue.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are ISFPs good at finding your way or is it easy to get lost?
Also, how much do you use your imagination? Is it variable, do you focus on what is in the moment, or are you imaginative overall?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are ISFPs good at finding your way or is it easy to get lost?

Disclaimer: I don't drive so my answer my not be useful.

I can't read maps. I get lost very easily, but the caveat is that I'm usually able to reorient myself instinctually at some point. I never know which subway train to get on though, so I'll often just jump onto the train I think is right, ask people where it's going, and then jump back off really quickly if it's the wrong one. If I'm in a new city, the best thing I can do is just take a very long walk not going anywhere in particular while paying attention to my surroundings, and then somehow find my way back. I prefer to do this over researching where stuff is because after I've done it, I consider myself familiar with the area I've walked. I do look up directions though if I need to get somewhere I haven't been before in a timeframe, like to a class, because it's more practical.

Also, how much do you use your imagination? Is it variable, do you focus on what is in the moment, or are you imaginative overall?

I sometimes focus on what's in the moment but I'm often in my head. It switches back and forth. The more that's on my mind, the more I feel the need to process it and the more I think about it. I actually prefer being in the moment, it feels very free. If I'm out and about or interacting with people, I'm usually in the moment, or want to be in the moment. If I'm by myself at home I'm completely inside my own head. I don't feel like I lack imagination when I'm in the moment. The moment is full of jumping off points for things to imagine now or later.

I use my imagination to process my thoughts and emotions, to imagine scenarios, to connect to all types of art, to explore other people's points of view, to think about political and moral situations, and probably other things I can't think of right now.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disclaimer: I don't drive so my answer my not be useful.

I can't read maps. I get lost very easily, but the caveat is that I'm usually able to reorient myself instinctually at some point. I never know which subway train to get on though, so I'll often just jump onto the train I think is right, ask people where it's going, and then jump back off really quickly if it's the wrong one. If I'm in a new city, the best thing I can do is just take a very long walk not going anywhere in particular while paying attention to my surroundings, and then somehow find my way back. I prefer to do this over researching where stuff is because after I've done it, I consider myself familiar with the area I've walked. I do look up directions though if I need to get somewhere I haven't been before in a timeframe, like to a class, because it's more practical.

I sometimes focus on what's in the moment but I'm often in my head. It switches back and forth. The more that's on my mind, the more I feel the need to process it and the more I think about it. I actually prefer being in the moment, it feels very free. If I'm out and about or interacting with people, I'm usually in the moment, or want to be in the moment. If I'm by myself at home I'm completely inside my own head. I don't feel like I lack imagination when I'm in the moment. The moment is full of jumping off points for things to imagine now or later.

I use my imagination to process my thoughts and emotions, to imagine scenarios, to connect to all types of art, to explore other people's points of view, to think about political and moral situations, and probably other things I can't think of right now.
I'd like to type as an ISFP, but I don't know if I'll mess up the category too much. I don't want to start making declarations about "being ISFP" if I'm going to give the wrong impression. I think it is plausible that I use the functional pairs of Fi-Se and Ni-Te, with the lower pairing stronger than is typical for ISFP. I've started to think that the dom-tert loop version of each type might fundamentally alter the nature of the type.

I'd try out the INTJ typing, but if you see my video I don't honestly think I can claim to be a T because of the expressive nature of my communication, values, inner world, and the way I create and spend my time. I can think and write in a T-ish way at times, but it's too much of a stretch to claim it as a type. I do have a natural connection with the majority of INTJs in debate. I often feel when reading their posts, "THANK YOU! You just said the truth accurately, distilled, and spot on."

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd like to type as an ISFP, but I don't know if I'll mess up the category too much. I don't want to start making declarations about "being ISFP" if I'm going to give the wrong impression. I think it is plausible that I use the functional pairs of Fi-Se and Ni-Te, with the lower pairing stronger than is typical for ISFP. I've started to think that the dom-tert loop version of each type might fundamentally alter the nature of the type.

I'd try out the INTJ typing, but if you see my video I don't honestly think I can claim to be a T because of the expressive nature of my communication, values, inner world, and the way I create and spend my time. I can think and write in a T-ish way at times, but it's too much of a stretch to claim it as a type. I do have a natural connection with the majority of INTJs in debate. I often feel when reading their posts, "THANK YOU! You just said the truth accurately, distilled, and spot on."

It's okay, type what you want. This thread might be useful for you: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...12-challenging-stereotypes-se-service-fi.html I think I've alreasy messed up the ISFP category plently, lol.

If it matters, I see you as INFJ more than anything else, but that's just my opinion.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's okay, type what you want. This thread might be useful for you: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...12-challenging-stereotypes-se-service-fi.html I think I've alreasy messed up the ISFP category plently, lol.

If it matters, I see you as INFJ more than anything else, but that's just my opinion.
After reading Jung's descriptions of Fe, I realized that I don't use that function very much. In the past I typed as INFJ, but it was because I had created my own idea about what Fe is which was completely different from Jung's. I've also always tested on the border of P/J, and the first time I took MBTI test I was 16 and I tested as INFX.

Edit: The entire issue of group dynamics and categories of people is alien to me. I also have no external system of values in that I don't belong to any established religion, I don't feel much connection to culture. Some of my values and morals are not aligned with social norms at all, but are based on the plausible truth of the internal motivations of others. The reality of my life defies most social norms and expectations, so in those ways I'm not borderline, but rather far to one extreme based on the average person in society.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I added the edit after the like fwiw

What Fe do you see in me? Can you describe it?

Permabanned

Why