• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Book Review Thread

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I dont know if we already have this but heres a general place for reviewing books.

I have one.

“The Program” by Suzanne Young

2/5 stars if I am being generous.

This book sucks. Its basically about there being a suicide epidemic and the government overcompensating in their response to it by locking all teenagers who show feelings up in a program where their memories are wiped by idk pills or some bullshit.

Its awful. A few chapters in I realized how awful it was. Nothing is explained well and apparently suicidality is just something people randomly decide to do for no reason- oh- and its somehow contagious but thats never explained.

This book lacks basically any sense of sensitivity or depth. It trivializes real life serious things by offering a very 2 dimensional view of them just to further a really cheap plot.

All the characters suck and are underdeveloped. There is a very generic yet at the same time kind of uncomfortable (because one of the main characters in it is just kind of a dick randomly for no reason) romance in it which, ok, fine, but Im not really impressed by cliches, and this one in particular is overdone, unless the romance actually serves a purpose or is meaningful in some way. Description is ok, but not anywhere near good. The world is extremely underdeveloped and depression is basically all that is explored at all for the cause of suicide- and its done very cheaply by just basically labeling very stereotypical sadness as depression.

Its sad. Its a really gross book in my opinion. I dont think it means to be, but I also think it shows a great lack of care. I know its hard to write a book, but come on. This wasnt good. This was, at its worst, potentially damaging.

Again, it doesnt mean to be I dont think, but it didnt try very hard not to be, and thats really sad.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OOOOO time to import some of my bad rates lol

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have an Instagram dedicated just to book reviews; so I'm about to just copy some of it over here XD

I'll start with this literary hot take: Pride and Prejudice is overrated.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an Instagram dedicated just to book reviews; so I'm about to just copy some of it over here XD

I'll start with this literary hot take: Pride and Prejudice is overrated.

this actually surprises me weirdly XD

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, I mean I've posted in the book threads on this forum before. But, yeah, I do! I started it this summer out of quarantine boredom.

I don't post enough because I sort of read in spurts. Like sometimes I am really into reading and other times its like nope. nothing. XD