• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Audiophiles, hifi enthusiasts, engineers

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you think there are two camps? Engineers and the artists? I feel that there are.

I place myself soundly at the engineer camp. I've bought speakers because of the SPL, SNR, THD and the frequency response. If you don't get any of that you haven't probably paid attention to the sound engineers.

So, where do you camp and why?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
For such a ridiculously unpopular thread - which is usual for me - may I offer another question?

If you do test audio equipment, which are the tracks you run through in your audio tests?

Doctor Anaximander

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought I’d read that a lot of audiophiles like to test equipment with Dark Side of the Moon.

I’m not in the engineer or audiophile camp. While I can appreciate better headphones or speakers over shittier ones, I’m not one these people who can listen to various stereo setups and pick out every little nuance and flaw

Though as a self producing musician, I have been trying to train myself to think and listen more like a sound engineer so I can mix my recordings to sound better on a variety of speakers and headphones. I don’t have the budget to pay a professional engineer to mix my stuff

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Guardian of Ga'Hoole
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought I’d read that a lot of audiophiles like to test equipment with Dark Side of the Moon.

That makes sense. Heavy use of stereo panning type effects and a lot of tones of all different frequencies.

I’m not in the engineer or audiophile camp. While I can appreciate better headphones or speakers over shittier ones, I’m not one these people who can listen to various stereo setups and pick out every little nuance and flaw

I can get OCD about these settings sometimes. I wish I knew how to find the right one. I suppose I need to get into the state of consciousness where I'm very keyed into the nuances of sound.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm not a professional with any kinds of music production, but I've sometimes tried to do the slightest bit of professionalism with some parts in audio production. I like to test equipment with tracks from Trent Reznor/ Atticus Ross, like In Motion, and rest of the soundtrack from The social Network. Also, Phil Collins, in the Air tonight.