• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Good at Math?

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not very good at math, because I'm prone to make calculation errors.

Despite of this, I managed to get a Master in Statistics.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm great at all math that doesn't involve spatial reasoning. If I can easily reduce it to formulas, fine. If I can X therefore Y therefore Z it, fine. Area under the curve? Absolutely not.

I also basically flunked economics four semesters in a row and still have no idea why.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If I may suggest, people might fall equally on a scale where people math skills are

No number of 5-year-olds, put together, will amount to the math knowledge of a common statistician.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'll swear up and down I'm good at math but if you present me with anything above Algebra 1 I will physically attack you.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Being good at math isn't correctly measured through high school level of mathematical problems but with ability to use math in every day to your advantage. The more complex and correct the better.

WileStyle

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Being good at math isn't correctly measured through high school level of mathematical problems but with ability to use math in every day to your advantage. The more complex and correct the better.

I guess that's what you would call genius in math.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm strong at math, but didn't take that many classes at the college level. I really enjoyed a statistics course I took recently. I scored in the 74 percentile in math on the GRE, and 92 percentile on the analytical reasoning. I enjoy the logical clarity and consistency of math. I sometimes feel as though I'd like to go back and study math.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Very intriguing. Please tell me more? :)
Me and my friend, doctor in computer science, have applied mathematics to many problems in the past. We've done lot of work separately.

We've applied probability and sampling theorems to improve 3d graphics results with path tracing. Probability can be used to find out the distribution of results of some processes for which we have a description. Probability theory can be applied for testing whether some explanations or findings are true.

We've applied combinatorics to find out what kind of moves are available in a game, to improve the game AI. Combinatorics can be used to find out how many and which kind of variations there are for some configuration of parameters, and how much they overlap with some other configuration of parameters and permutations thereof.

Set theory is readily applied to data structures which describe the breakdown of some complex structures. Similar to combinatorics, it can be used to count to overlap of some sets of parameters. It can also be used to establish a hierarchy for a sets of sets of parameters. These kinds of structures can assist in the data handling part of some miscellaneous AI operations, or they can be used for AI in some applications.

Discrete mathematics can be applied to discrete optimization problems. There we have parameters which obey some strict rules within the system where the values may only obtain certain values. This could be a card game, or the delivery of packages, or the logistics of people or cargo.

I've done some cryptanalysis to find out the complexity of decrypting some cryptosystems without having the keys. It can also be applied to finding out how much of the original information is available after it has been scrambled with some method.

Multidimensional analysis applies to situations where we have multiple parameters describing some object, and we have a set of those objects. This can be used to things like classifying parts of a video, or it can and has been used to classify loan applicants.

Differential equations come up in simulating some physics-based systems, and in in the design and implementation of finite element analysis to simulate those systems.

Yeah I think maths are a ton of fun. Exciting stuff!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Uhm, I don't think I can provide references which specifically prove that a certain field is used for something. But I can find references you might approve on other grounds, if you find that helpful

Mole

Permabanned
There is a sense in which we are all good at mathematics.

And we are all good at mathematics, because we have been selected by natural selection to see patterns in our environment, so that we will survive and reproduce.

So just as written music is the notation, the notes, of musical sound, so mathematics is the notation, the notes, of patterns in our environment.

And it has often been noted, music and mathematics are similar.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
2+2 is 5, right? Yeah. See. Booyah.

*mic drop* Mathematics.

Mole

Permabanned
2+2 is 5, right? Yeah. See. Booyah.
*mic drop* Mathematics.

Everywhere you look, you see patterns. In fact you perceive patterns by making distinctions, and the more distinctions, the more you see. And mathematics is made of distinctions.

Bacopa

MBTI Type
intj
Used to be amazing at it in elementary, kinda good in high school and progressively worse in college

Elegiac

Wandering & Wondering
MBTI Type
INFP
I've always been bad at maths. More importantly, the formulas never seem to stick in my brain unless I use them often enough throughout life.

But, every new high school year, it was almost like I had to re-learn the formulas again.

These days, I've forgotten most of it. Some of it might spark a wire in my mind if I'm told about it again.