• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are Sp's the most common types to be musicians?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's because most people on this forum believe "sensors are stupid" or some similar garbage, so everyone they respect and admire has to be an "N".

I think years ago, that was much more true of this site. I don't think it's so much the case anymore, as once people hang around here long enough and learn more about mbti, they get rid of some of these stereotypes. But I think it's still true for a lot of newcomers to the site, or new people to the system. And you can see it in subtle ways in a lot of the 'Type Me' threads. Not sure it's their fault, really, since they might only know about what they see on the tests or read in descriptions --- and those are pretty stereotypical and black/white. (even some sensors on here will play up their inability to be as 'smart' as N's......which I think is sad to see)

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read some posts online that suggested it was somehow evidenced that NP types were most drawn to musicianship, lead by the ENFPs (but probably also highly since ENFP is the most abundant intuitive type). I tend to gravitate toward friends who are intuitives, and those who are serious about listening to, playing, or even composing music tend to be NP types, followed by Ni doms.

I would attribute this to the intuitive's aptitude to search for meaning behind things. They are more interested in what a piece of work represents than simply what it is or how it makes them feel, and it adds a certain other layer. At least, that's a large part of why I work in music, film, and whatnot.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, in trying to figure out musicians types it seems like a lot of them are Sp's and I wonder if there is a reason why it is so common? are they the one's most often drawn to playing and writing music?

I wonder if I am the odd one out here being and maybe not as naturally becoming for N's.

I always thought I would have been a rock star if I'd started playing the guitar. It's my dad's fault. He wouldn't get me an electric one and they got me shit sheet music like Mary Had Little Lamb so I decided not to play. What a way to kill someone's enthusiasm :(.

MisterNi

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] My childhood ESTP friend who is a genius was a rockstar in Europe for a while; trust me, if you're not a 100% hedonistic sensor you do not want to be a rockstar. He would do all kinds of things he massively regretted after he gave up the life of a rockstar. He eventually settled into a life of acting, writing, directing and producing. :)

Also, I laughed at the Mary Had A Little Lamb part, LMFAO. Your parents saved you from probably what would have been an early death.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I've read a couple of times on the webz that ESTP is the quintessential musician type. But once again this sounds like stereotypical bullocks. Every type has famous musicians.

I do think [MENTION=4175]MisterNi[/MENTION] makes a very valid point in saying that rockstardom is really hedonistic sensor domain. I would have derailed bigtime if I were a rockstar in my younger years.

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] : you're never too old to learn. I was 27 when I bought my first guitar. All you really need to do is learn the pentatonic scale and you'll be surprised how easy it is.

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
SP are well known and stereotyped for their creativity (especially ISP being related to music)

However being a musician in high school on violin and piano as well as being able to compose piano and orchestra compositions does say something about the IN population being attracted to musical arts. I found that many of my peers in the National class high school orchestra consisted of INFP, INFJ, and ISFJ. Most of these people were also inherently academically inclined and the vast majority were in one or more advanced placement courses (including myself).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hated learning music theory in school. I was in band for six years and could never fully grasp it, or why I even needed to. I could play the thing and read the sheet, was that not good enough!?

This is funny. As Ti dom, this part of music fascinates me. The theory...well, in understanding theory you know "the rules" and then how to break them.

I think it isn't necessary - like your experience dictates and if you have a really good ear you can 'hear' what fits and what doesn't.

If one wanted to create music it would save time and energy - also there's an easy way and a hard way to do the same things sometimes in music so knowlege is power.

Music is a puzzle with infinite pieces. Understanding theory just helps you connect them faster and easier, I think.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
However being a musician in high school on violin and piano as well as being able to compose piano and orchestra compositions does say something about the IN population being attracted to musical arts. I found that many of my peers in the National class high school orchestra consisted of INFP, INFJ, and ISFJ. Most of these people were also inherently academically inclined and the vast majority were in one or more advanced placement courses (including myself).

Yeah you're right. Orchestra's or brass band, or maybe classical music as a whole, seem to draw in lots of gentle (introvert) souls. Remarkably contrary to rock music when I come to think about it.

[MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] What I like about music is how accessible it is. Even without any theory you can easily make a song. But theory does help though. Regardless, I think the most crucial factor is how much time you spend with it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah you're right. Orchestra's or brass band, or maybe classical music as a whole, seem to draw in lots of gentle (introvert) souls. Remarkably contrary to rock music when I come to think about it.

[MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] What I like about music is how accessible it is. Even without any theory you can easily make a song. But theory does help though. Regardless, I think the most crucial factor is how much time you spend with it.

Ha. And investment in a metronome. :D

MisterNi

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are a lot of NF musicians as well.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha true ! Which admittedly I use way too little :D

No one likes it. My violin teacher would threaten to take it out as I had a tendency to rush time. Never used one until I started learning guitar.

Now, I realize that I should have always had one handy just to get used to what it should be.

MisterNi

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Probably because I used to be a musician and rockstar, lol.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm a musician - I play clarinet. I also took a lot of music theory courses in college (actually I'm still in undergrad) and for the most part found it easy. Also I have perfect pitch. IxTP

Liked the subject matter of Music History, didn't care for the class. I don't like writing essays.

I always thought the stereotypes of musicians and performers (and artists in general) were SFPs, but I can easily see how ESTP would rank highly.

Mr Troll

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bs
I remember when in elementary school teacher as punishment forced me to scribble notes because I wasn't participating and I was making song parodies in my head. To her astonishment I liked to work more with pen and paper than with instruments. :D Although I would have traded that to new kinds of math any day.

Producing music is too practical and hands on for me. Instruments...

Talent is respectable but my muscle memory is not.

treetophideaway

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm a musician (not professional but I've played various instruments for more than half my life). I started with the flute, then learned piano and marimba simultaneously since they both operate on a keyboard layout. Next I want to learn vionlin, cello, or saxophone. If I have time after those, maybe drums or guitar. I can sightread music fairly well but I would always prefer to listen to the piece while following the music. I can usually pick out well-known/familiar tunes on a piano by ear. I've never tried writing music, but I think it would be fun. I usually just play for myself. I used to perform in concert/marching band in junior high and high school, but these days I just play for myself and my pets because it makes me happy.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not a musician nor am I a sensor yet I've messed around with instruments and I have mostly experimented and been decent on a piano in the past. Recently, I've been thinking of going back into it. I never read instructions I just started picking up on it myself. I also quite like drums and would often drum sounds on my desk even at school which could get me commented on by the teacher. Sensitive to the frequencies and tunes. Let alone my occasional sport playing (minor ones but still) that mainly require aim and doing well(with little to no practice often) so seems I have qualities that have confused me for a sensor. I'd say I kinda break the mold a bit.

Over all though I prefer singing as it's a pure release of emotion and carries a certain elegance to it.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've been playing music for as long as I can remember. My school in first grade had some kind of rudimentary piano lessons which I remember doing fairly well at. I started actual piano lessons in second grade (I think) which continued until sixth grade, when I started learning flute in middle school band. A year later I picked up clarinet and then saxophone. I've also dabbled a little bit with brass, percussion, and guitar, as well as bagpipes (which I can't make a sound on) and oboe (functional but not good). Woodwind instruments seem to be my forte - fitting, since I'm about to graduate with a degree in clarinet performance. I'm not a singer - I don't have a good voice, though that could probably be remedied with several years of lessons.

I have absolute pitch (I hate calling it perfect pitch) and retain melodies well. I don't sightread particularly well though. I memorize a lot of my music.

Still unsure of ISTP or INTP.

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am a musical student, and I am under the impression that most people on my course are Sensors - though I'm not sure if they're Se or Si-valuing. It's something that I can't really know until I'm close to them.

The focus on sensory impressions is Si, which is arguably what playing music is all about. I wouldn't be surprised if film composers are often strong Si types, although I imagine this would extend to many other realms. On the other hand, Se is the focus of manipulating the physical realm: I guess quite a few strong Se individuals end up becoming obsessed with wanting to do everything possible with an instrument.

But then I'm surrounded by electronic musicians. I imagine that's a dominantly ST field.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(finally posted this to the right thread)

To choose a life of a musician in a band and so forth, yeah, probably mostly SPs (or Perceivers) because it is socially defined as extremely irresponsible to do (speaking as a freelancing musician myself). I think the majority of classical musicians use a lot of Si because it makes sense that it is an important function for accurately recreating complex patterns and to stay true to traditions that have endured for hundreds of years. There is a lot of loyalty and idealized archetypal thinking that is necessary in classical music.

For other types of music, more based on the band concept (lead singer, guitar, bass, drums, etc.), there is more of a focus on being in the moment and exploring the intensity of feeling and sensation. (not to say there aren't plenty of people who look back at role models and recreate ideals). My guess is that the more structured types of personalities with musical gifts will let it go and get a more sensible career to buy the house and support the family. Finances are a mess as a freelancing musician and your future is a mess, so it is a huge risk is you are trying to raise a family and do all of those things. I don't have children, which is why I've been able to manage along the way, but I have no retirement, etc. You do kind of have to be freewheeling somewhat in your personality to stick with freelancing as a musician, so I do think the connection with SPs is plausible - or at least Perceivers.