• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are dumb people worth talking to?

Mole

Permabanned
How far away can someone be in intelligence from you before you just "don't bother"?

Those with a low intellectual IQ often have a high emotional IQ, while many of those with a high intellectual IQ often have a low emotional IQ.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
There are levels to thinking that come with intelligence that means often there are barriers to communication, not necessarily to do with IQ as I'm making this up to describe an idea, but these barriers exist at the point of information so overwhelmingly complex that to break it down for those who aren't on that same level of understanding would look like a bad investment for those considered at the top end of intelligence.

Basically I think there is a desire not to dilute the understanding while at the same time still reaching an audience and this distance becomes larger based upon several factors to do with social circles, upbringing, cultural differences and of course the amount of moves a person's mind is capable of making.

I'm of average intelligence myself so communication is fairly easy to translate across a wide range of people with the main hurdles being colloquial or localised understandings I'm not familiar with yet. And any personal baggage or prejudice I happen to bring with me.

Of course we also have elements in our nature that we tend to share as a species regardless of intelligence. Anyone can be subject to emotional hijacking, violent outbursts, depression and breakdowns to name but a few. Stupidity is also easy to call but harder to perceive in yourself. I used to refrain from using the word too much but now accept it as a more practical (if often inaccurate) lexicon of daily life.

I think broadly speaking, stupid can be considered the moment when a person misses information that others would consider salient to a context. After all calling someone stupid is a method of social control and attacks their confidence and elicits shame.
But that's a big simplification in itself.

A more accurate question would be: Are people you consider to be dumb, worth talking to? The answer for me would probably be yes, but it depends on the type of person and the type of dumb. I'm fairly open to considering different sources of information and getting insight. This can then create a model for understanding and interacting with reality and that really can come from anywhere.

Chances are the people we consider stupid because of our bias for a certain frame of understanding, probably also consider us stupid because of their own.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Those with a low intellectual IQ often have a high emotional IQ, while many of those with a high intellectual IQ often have a low emotional IQ.

Replace "often" with "sometimes" and then I'd share your opinion.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm not sure what you expect to get out of this thread...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No issues with dumb as long as you are kind. I will cut off contact with an intellifgent asshole and migrate towards a dumb sweet person.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
IME most people who think they're not dumb are usually not as intelligent as they claim, of course there's exceptions. And I think anyone's worth talking to even if they are dumb the people who aren't, tend to be the closed minded arrogant ones. In that case you might as well find a wall and talk to do that because you'd achieve the same thing.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. Judge people based on character, not intelligence.

Radian

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
as long as they're fun.
or as long as they weren't being dumb to be called "cute", that is....

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I mean it's not their fault that they are dumb, so if they're not too much of an ass hole I will interact with them.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly it depends on what you want to get out of life and what it means to you to connect with someone. If everything you want in other people is to validate your self-perception and judgements, then you'll want to talk to any "dumb" people who adore you for your greater "intelligence", and other people who think they're smart and agree with your views.

If you want to broaden your scope, other people, regardless of intelligence have knowledge about things you don't know about, have experiences, have influence and connections, can draw you out in different ways, can be enjoyable and thought provoking independent of how "smart" they are, however you define that.

Lark

In my experience most people over estimate their intelligence, especially the arrogant and deluded, of which there's no shortage.

I've a lot, lot less time for them than I do people who're commonly considered not to be intelligent but who're good humoured and humble.

Consider Dunning-Kreuger before carrying on the train of thought the OP displays.

Also consider the old Irish addage that there are many people educated beyond their intelligence. ;)

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't judge how intelligent someone is just because they agree/disagree with me
I am more interested in the idea behind that subject rather than the subject itself
I try to not discuss it for too long
I direct the discussion towards enlightenment and getting people to see things from a different angle and reconsider their ideas
I don't care about winning anything it's not about (me), I can be wrong at the end of the day so trying to prove otherwise is just being ignorant..

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I measure people more by their empathic capabilities than their intelligence. But I welcome both :)

Beorn

Permabanned
I hang out with mentally disabled people all the time.

What I can't stand are dumb people with lots of opinions on things they know nothing about.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's probably a rejection of my baby Te, but I can't even appropriately pin down properties of 'intelligence' as it is widely understood and used, let alone draw hard lines between types of intelligence. One would have to make the assumption that their particular vantage point not only exceeded another's, but was all encompassing. I don't claim to have this, nor do I think anyone of us does, being a kind of locust point of consciousness. The parameters that the concept attempts to create, feels grossly inadequate, in terms of connection and interaction, to me personally. I also don't think people over-estimate their intelligence, as an indicator of ones ability to learn/understand, but more commonly underestimate it. It's more likely that the meaning attributed to its measurement, are overestimated.

Eh, so basically, there is no 'dumb', from where I look.