• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

APA Guidelines for Men and Boys

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought there was an interesting discussion in the comment section here:

Men who believe that masculinity is toxic or harmful have lower self-esteem and worse metal health than men who embrace their masculinity and see it as a good thing : LeftWingMaleAdvocates

Personally, I think masculinity and femininity exist on a wide spectrum and can't be narrowed down to one-size-fits-all definitions. The APA guidelines for either sex are based in bad, ideology-driven science.

some redditor said:
If some men respond well to more feminine ways of handling emotions, then there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying we should force them into a box made exclusively for men because they happen to be men.
However we also shouldn't create a box designed primarily for women (intentionally made that way or not) and then expect to be able to shove men in it.
We can have a spectrum or whatever. And it's not like there aren't going to be women out there who respond better to the masculine side of things compared to the feminine side of things.
The male vs female thing is only one factor, or maybe even a starting point. But it's not a rigid destination.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought there was an interesting discussion in the comment section here:

Men who believe that masculinity is toxic or harmful have lower self-esteem and worse metal health than men who embrace their masculinity and see it as a good thing : LeftWingMaleAdvocates

Personally, I think masculinity and femininity exist on a wide spectrum and can't be narrowed down to one-size-fits-all definitions. The APA guidelines for either sex are based in bad, ideology-driven science.

Do we know that correlation equals causation here?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do we know that correlation equals causation here?

No, we don’t know. It’s a charged post title but if you scroll down there’s some good debate in the comments thread. That was my point in posting it

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, we don’t know. It’s a charged post title but if you scroll down there’s some good debate in the comments thread. That was my point in posting it

I mean, it could be that people who view masculinity as negative have had bad experiences from not conforming to certain masculine norms, hence the depression and low self-esteem; conversely, the people who view at positive might have not have had bad experiences, and thus not have depression and low self-esteem.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean, it could be that people who view masculinity as negative have had bad experiences from not confoI warming to certain masculine norms, hence the depression and low self-esteem; conversely, the people who view at positive might have not have had bad experiences, and thus not have depression and low self-esteem.
I was thinking along similar lines. The notion of "toxic masculinity" doesn't mean masculinity is inherently toxic, but rather that there are expressions of it that are. Same with femininity, though the term "toxic femininity" doesn't seem to be in common use. Being forced into an ill-fitting gender role seems likely to encourage depression and low self-esteem, whatever the specifics.

I have said this, too. There are many ways to be feminine, or masculine, or as most of us are, some combination. I think of the continuum as two archetypes, with individual humans embodying them in different proportions. Even then, though, the archetypes will vary with factors such as culture and time period.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was thinking along similar lines. The notion of "toxic masculinity" doesn't mean masculinity is inherently toxic, but rather that there are expressions of it that are. Same with femininity, though the term "toxic femininity" doesn't seem to be in common use. Being forced into an ill-fitting gender role seems likely to encourage depression and low self-esteem, whatever the specifics.

I strive to do what I want and not worry about what is feminine or masculine. I don't always succeed, but I I tend to find it easiest to get along with people who are similar. I like using tools, programming, cats and sharing pictures of them, and sweet alcoholic drinks (I find most of the recipes in cocktail guides could stand to be sweeter and end up modifying them accordingly; I think the lack of sweetness is probably a gendered thing and I think it's kind of dumb because it's supposed to be a pleasant indulgence).

That's one of the reasons for my signature. I stopped looking for someone or something who could show me how to do this, and just decided to be that person. (There are other reasons as well.)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I have said this, too. There are many ways to be feminine, or masculine, or as most of us are, some combination. I think of the continuum as two archetypes, with individual humans embodying them in different proportions. Even then, though, the archetypes will vary with factors such as culture and time period.
Very helpful post. There is both toxic masculinity and toxic femininity, which might be better known of as "mean girls", but it does involve exaggerations of female "props" just like toxic masculinity requires masculine "props".

I think that both come from a hollow inner core. When people don't have a sense of personal identity, then they rely on these toxic, preset fabrications of being. Toxic masculinity creates the illusion of personal strength where there is weakness. Toxic femininity creates the illusion of social strength where there is weakness. If people could focus more on developing a sense of personal empowerment in the world, of having permission to be who they are, the freedom to act upon reality and have a place in it, then they don't need exaggerated cardboard cutout versions of self. When that personal strength is genuine and healthy, it is a wonderful contribution to the world however it maps to culturally defined notions of gender or not.