• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I An INFP?

MarkyJoe1990

One day I was chillin', working on a little passion project of mine, when suddenly, BAM. One of my artists brings up the personality test thing. I'm curious, so I give it a shot and I get typed as INFP-T.

I look at the description and... basically, it sounds like a hippie. At the time, I accepted the typing as true, but since it's something I think about constantly, I've noticed contradictions in my behavior. Obviously the personality types are waaaay more complex than whatever stereotype is lopped onto the four letters, but that just makes it even more confusing, and having a concrete answer would be pretty awesome.

So lemme tell you a few things about myself. My favorite hobbies are making Let's Play videos, watching Let's Play videos. I enjoy making complex, experimental music full of nice melodies (My favorite genre of music is progressive rock). When I was younger, I draw comics constantly, and once attempted to write a serious, long comic because I craved something more thought provoking and deep. Nowadays, I don't draw much, but I find it a really relaxing way to express myself.

I'm extremely passionate about my opinions and love expressing them in my videos. It's like a catharsis for me, because I feel like I can't really be myself in real life at the risk of being criticized and judged.

My dream is to be able to have my own home, independent and free to do things I enjoy. It's pretty tough though because I find it difficult to move up on the corporate ladder, and I'm really sensitive to corruption and people acting plastic and like they don't actually care about me, but my money.

Regarding that project I'm working on, it's a game with a story that questions how evil manifests itself, even in a world full of well intentioned people.

Now um... I guess this all makes me sound like an INFP, but here's where I get tripped up. I'm also extremely analytical and greatly value objectivity, and while I'm introverted in the "real world", whenever I'm surrounded by my fans on youtube, I'm suddenly some charismatic public speaking leader guy. I also like programming here and there cause it helps me create efficient programs and occasionally dumb little games I can get people to play.

Speaking of games, I am extremely good at breaking things down to a science and comprehending its underlying patterns, then applying them to other things I do and improving my mastery over them, or picking up new things extremely quick.

I also get really impatient with people if they act purely on emotion and don't back their opinions up with facts, especially if they wrong other people and refuse to accept responsibility for their actions.

Also I'm really obsessive about working on things. I have tons of projects, but if I'm not working on at least one of them, I tend to get stressed out and depressed because I'm not being productive. Like, I get really upset at how often my feelings prevent me from working on stuff simply cause I don't feel like it.

And uh... Hm... I think that's a good enough summary.

I came to this forum cause... well... I don't like to jump to conclusions ever, and prefer to make sure I have all the absolute facts before I decide something is correct. Fear of looking like an idiot, y'know?

So I'm guessing I'm an INFP-T with a well developed Te function. What do you guys think?

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you read up on ISFP? I just get this Se vibe from you. You're definitely a Fe dom with well developed Te. I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.

MarkyJoe1990

Have you read up on ISFP? I just get this Se vibe from you. You're definitely a Fe dom with well developed Te. I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.
I spent, like, an hour looking them up, and while I can see the differences, I feel like I sometimes have both sensor and intuitive traits.

Buuuut I'm definitely not a guy who lives in the moment. I don't enjoy dancing, nor sports, nor any really physical activity.

That said, I also don't consider myself a strong lyricist either. Most of the music I make is without lyrics, and when they have them, they're often intentionally silly and hyperbolic (Cause it's what makes me laugh).

I like TALKING about stuff instead of doing them.

And uh... Well, maybe it's just hard for me to find the Sensor traits in myself? I used to think about the past a lot, but I think that may have been a Fi-Si loop, since I lived a pretty crummy childhood. I did NOT fit in in school, and I very strongly resented the status quo, and hated seeing innocents bullied.

As for opening up to people... Online I open up extremely fast. I'm not afraid to tell people deep things about myself. In real life, since the people I meet aren't usually people I think I'll be friends with, I avoid talking about that stuff cause I suspect it'll make things awkward. But once someone does, I'm like... totally trusting of them except on very specific things.

I'm suuuuper inclined to say I'm INFP, but aaaaagh so much doubt. DX So bad at being decisiveeee

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spent, like, an hour looking them up, and while I can see the differences, I feel like I sometimes have both sensor and intuitive traits.

Buuuut I'm definitely not a guy who lives in the moment. I don't enjoy dancing, nor sports, nor any really physical activity.

That said, I also don't consider myself a strong lyricist either. Most of the music I make is without lyrics, and when they have them, they're often intentionally silly and hyperbolic (Cause it's what makes me laugh).

I like TALKING about stuff instead of doing them.

And uh... Well, maybe it's just hard for me to find the Sensor traits in myself? I used to think about the past a lot, but I think that may have been a Fi-Si loop, since I lived a pretty crummy childhood. I did NOT fit in in school, and I very strongly resented the status quo, and hated seeing innocents bullied.

As for opening up to people... Online I open up extremely fast. I'm not afraid to tell people deep things about myself. In real life, since the people I meet aren't usually people I think I'll be friends with, I avoid talking about that stuff cause I suspect it'll make things awkward. But once someone does, I'm like... totally trusting of them except on very specific things.

I'm suuuuper inclined to say I'm INFP, but aaaaagh so much doubt. DX So bad at being decisiveeee

I relate to a lot of this. You're definitely a Fi dom. I find people online are way more easier for me to open up to. The fact that both people are on the same site sets up a bit of a connection. One bonds over the connection which leads to being more comfortable to open up a bit more.

Empyrean

I've seen many videos on the cognitive functions and MBTI/Jung theory in general. Michael Castillo is my favorite articular for concepts within the theory, and the person I find easiest to understand. However, I wonder how another type (non Ni-dominant) will find his videos and articulations.

Extroverted Sensation:

Extroverted Intuition:

MarkyJoe1990

Yeah, I took the first one. I've gotten INFP every single time.

Keys 2 Cognition also gave me INFP. My results are... actually kinda strange.

98fec9d3753967f5e82d577024d26c13.png

Attachments

• 98fec9d3753967f5e82d577024d26c13.jpg
    98fec9d3753967f5e82d577024d26c13.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 86

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I took the first one. I've gotten INFP every single time.

Keys 2 Cognition also gave me INFP. My results are... actually kinda strange.

98fec9d3753967f5e82d577024d26c13.png

I didn't even know unused was an option. I think because of the lesser scores for Te and Fe is why you got a Ne typing over Ni, even though you use it more. Wouldn't hurt to look into infj but I just think your an infp. I'd ask fellow infps here how to strengthen your Si and Te.

MarkyJoe1990

You didn't know unused was an option? Well crimeny, I must be really unhealthy or something. ;-;

I'm uncertain why I got such a low extroverted thinking score though. I think it may be because of my lack of confidence in my objective skills even though I've frequently seen myself use them. Like many of my answers with objective reasoning I chose fairly low. and the last few times I took the test, my thinking score was 35% compared to 65% feeling. >.<

Maybe I should take it again and rely less on intuition this time. I didn't carefully think each question over cause I'm somewhat busy at the moment and wanted to get it done.

... That said, if this is all true, then damn I'm disappointed in myself.

Empyrean

Tests can only get you so far. You need to learn about the cognitive functions in-depth and apply our own perceptual and logical analysis to your understanding of the theory after you've internalized them effectively.

Well, that's my approach. Maybe a different one works better for you.

Best of luck.

MarkyJoe1990

Took the test again and just... seriously sat down and thought carefully about each answer. I think these results make more sense.

410eaad11514982b62898b7973ec8a80.png

The first test I answered mostly on impulse, which is probably why I felt weird looking at the results earlier. I value my authenticity deeply, and while I enjoy being leader and turning my youtube fanbase into a nice community instead of cancerous nonsense like most other youtuber fanbases are, I don't try to make everyone's problems my own, and I have control freak tendencies when my discord chat gets a little too jokey and out of control, so I don't consider my extroverted feeling to be strong. I just keep my beliefs to myself cause I'm aware that speaking out against the status quo can sometimes put myself in a negative light, but I will speak them if asked, or if conversation flows that way, and I will defend them. Unless I get too heated. Then I'll ask to remove myself from the conversation so I can sort myself out.

I consider my extroverted thinking to be well developed mainly because of how I deal with conflict. I've had to make cold, rational decisions many times because of my desire to achieve my goals. I've kicked non contributing people out of my dev team before because of these reasons, and when I overreact to criticism, I catch myself quickly and tell myself to take a moment or two to calm down, then think objectively about it when my mind is clear. I was once under very heavy scrutiny because of something I said on some forum, but after taking time to calm down from being upset, I realized that I wasn't giving myself enough credit and the community was overreacting and projecting some false image of me. Then using objective reasoning, I managed to shut everyone up by calmly and tactfully pointing out the facts. No one said anything about it afterward (And we know how forums can be. If you're wrong, people are VERY happy to point that out).

I'm pretty sure I'm not a cold logician obviously, but I enjoy efficiency and order, and I consider it very important to back my idealism with facts so I don't "float off into space".

My sensing trait however I think is definitely my weakest trait because... well... It's the Nostalgia function, right? Looking back at past events and details? I do enjoy my old school video games, but a lot of them haven't aged well for me, and unless something springs up my memory, I don't care for or have strong memory for the past except for what it meant to me. It sometimes takes very specific words or a sense of deja vu to make me actively think about it.

... Um... So yeah, I dunno. I hope I didn't come off as insecure or defensive, but I do think I backed up my opinions with accurate facts. I'm very quick to pick out contradictions in my own words and others, so when I saw the results I felt heavily inclined to introspect and seriously think about it.

Perhaps introspecting would be more useful to me than a test at this point anyway, considering how inconsistent it feels.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You strike me as an xxFP, yes. First impression is ENFP because you seem a bit more focused on your projects than the inner world of feeling (ie figuring out the meaning of things in relation to being human). This suggests Extroverted Perceiving (Pe) to me. Your energy strikes me as a Pe type as well. I wouldn't rule out ESFP either.