• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A popular misconception about identity politics...

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's blatantly false. I know for a fact there's a number of members on this forum who are to the left but simply abstain from the politics subforum. I have not seen any of them being mean to you--so you had 4 shitty people treat you like shit on this forum, but that's not every progressive on this forum. I am to the left on most issues, but I used to defend your ass when people like nicodemus attacked you, even though it put me directly in their crosshairs to the point that some people started labelling me an alt right apologist. You can bring up this most recent post where I attacked you, but I did that because I saw you making what seemed like gross generalizations based on interactions with a handful of people. I expect you are similarly offended when people make similar generalizations about trump voters.

Abstaining means they are not apparent no? How do you think that influences a person's experience with Progressives when they are confronted by the minority that insults, and berates them. Do things like cancel culture? What does that say about them when they stand back and watch? Also, its not like everyone runs around with a label on their heads. I assume people are Progressives based on their beliefs.

You obviously don't spend much time in the discord.

I don't consider your post an attack at all btw, its a legit criticism. I just consider the majority of my experiences with Progressives to be negative. Not just on the forum. I do get irritated when they generalize and or gloatingly share disinformation on Trump, but when you call them out on it. You still end up on the losing side of the conversation due to numbers. So it creates a cornered dog situation, where one feels the desire to attack others to defend what little space they have. Maybe this can help explain why I act one way, and feel another. My perception tends to be me vs a group constantly. Whether or not it is actually happening another way in reality is besides the point. I feel many people are overtly dismissive, and arrogant. Which also incites irritation.

Sorry you got attacked for defending me. That type of behavior though, is exactly what I am talking about when it comes to some Progressives. Attacking someone for daring to equalize a debate. That is unbecoming.

So really, the political climate is just severely polarized, and is really no one's fault.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
A rat always knows when he's in with weasels
Here you lose a little every day
Well, I remember when a million was a million
They all have ways to make you pay:shrug:

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The left being the more feminine approach to things, connections and group harmony seem to matter a lot more. Notice how conservatives on the forum hardly ever talk to each other or quote each other, while progressives will crow back and forth with each other all day long on their shared opinions. Conservative infighting usually ends up mono v mono, which feels fair to all involved, but conservative vs progressive almost always turns into a mono v gang situation, which feels frustratingly unfair. Particularly when those in charge always side with the group. That same sense of group harmony manifests in real life exchanges- every progressive I know is cool as a cucumber as long as they believe you are part of their group, but the second they catch even a whiff of the possibility that you think differently they shut down, wall you off, and become a completely different person. Conservatives on the other hand, used to mono v mono/groups, seem more more willing to talk and open up with thouse outside the clique. End result here is you have a handful of conservatives interested in some dialogue, and a giant mob of progressives interested in canceling them and getting them banned.

Jaguar

The left being the more feminine approach to things, connections and group harmony seem to matter a lot more. Notice how conservatives on the forum hardly ever talk to each other or quote each other, while progressives will crow back and forth with each other all day long on their shared opinions. Conservative infighting usually ends up mono v mono, which feels fair to all involved, but conservative vs progressive almost always turns into a mono v gang situation, which feels frustratingly unfair. Particularly when those in charge always side with the group. That same sense of group harmony manifests in real life exchanges- every progressive I know is cool as a cucumber as long as they believe you are part of their group, but the second they catch even a whiff of the possibility that you think differently they shut down, wall you off, and become a completely different person. Conservatives on the other hand, used to mono v mono/groups, seem more more willing to talk and open up with thouse outside the clique. End result here is you have a handful of conservatives interested in some dialogue, and a giant mob of progressives interested in canceling them and getting them banned.

Have you seen the Bernie Bros & Bitchesâ„¢ go at it on social media? Anything but harmonious. And you better get educated on who really voted for Trump. I was getting seething, eye daggers from a Trump voter in Macy's and I asked her if she was a Republican. The answer was "Never, I'm an Independent." (As if I didn't already know that.) That's why it's not unusual for many people being interviewed to say, "I voted for Obama and Trump." Those two have nothing in common and yet damned if I don't keep hearing that quote come out of people's mouths. Keep on pretending there's just two groups of people. Left and Right.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I bet you can't split a log in one hit with an axe. I can, feminine or not.

whuudds de madduh, cia got you pushing too many pencils?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you seen the Bernie Bros & Bitchesâ„¢ go at it on social media? Anything but harmonious. And you better get educated on who really voted for Trump. I was getting seething, eye daggers from a Trump voter in Macy's and I asked her if she was a Republican. The answer was "Never, I'm an Independent." (As if I didn't already know that.) That's why it's not unusual for many people being interviewed to say, "I voted for Obama and Trump." Those two have nothing in common and yet damned if I don't keep hearing that quote come out of people's mouths. Keep on pretending there's just two groups of people. Left and Right.

Did she say she would vote for Joe Biden, tho?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Have you seen the Bernie Bros & Bitches™ go at it on social media? Anything but harmonious. And you better get educated on who really voted for Trump. I was getting seething, eye daggers from a Trump voter in Macy's and I asked her if she was a Republican. The answer was "Never, I'm an Independent." (As if I didn't already know that.) That's why it's not unusual for many people being interviewed to say, "I voted for Obama and Trump." Those two have nothing in common and yet damned if I don't keep hearing that quote come out of people's mouths. Keep on pretending there's just two groups of people. Left and Right.
Are they going at it amongst themselves, or going after something outside of the group?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I bet you can't split a log in one hit with an axe. I can, feminine or not. whuudds de madduh, cia got you pushing too many pencils?
Don't confuse my definition of masculine and feminine with that of your average bud lite drinker. I'm plenty of both, and I don't value one more than the other.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
TL;DR - it is moderate democrats, not the left progressives, who are more likely to pander with identity politics, whilst doing little to reform the economic system that continues to disadvantage the very people they pander to every election year.

Thoughts?

For me this is fundamentally a western/foreign "ideology" that I associate with western liberals. Especially since in English speaking countries the real "red left" doesn't exist. However in my book identity politics was invented by those who didn't have much to offer to the people so they started this entire mindset of political correctness. Which I find childish even if I am not at all against human rights. Although you need some form of political correctness if you plan to fit in and exploit foreign/colored workforce.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't confuse my definition of masculine and feminine with that of your average bud lite drinker. I'm plenty of both, and I don't value one more than the other.

I don't drink bud lite, that shit's for babies. I drink bourbon on the rocks, and I've been known to snort vodka up my nose. I wasn't joking about being able to split a log in one axe stroke.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't drink bud lite, that shit's for babies. I drink bourbon on the rocks, and I've been known to snort vodka up my nose. I wasn't joking about being able to split a log in one axe stroke.

Bourbon on the rocks? I inject myself with Everclear every morning. If I want to go easy, I just drink a bottle or two of Bacardi 151.

What's that officer? you don't DECIDE when I'm drunk. You don't get to decide.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bourbon on the rocks? I inject myself with Everclear every morning. If I want to go easy, I just drink a bottle or two of Bacardi 151.

You're not a real alcoholic till you can drink 3 4locos without passing out, nor getting a hangover.

á´…eparted

passages

Psh, everclear is cheaters alcohol. Get some benzene entrained azeotrope distilled ethanol. 200 proof or go home 😁

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh ferfucksakes.... every time I drop the words masculine or feminine I'm immediately bulldozed into a box of stereotypes. I'm not the one making negative connotations here.

And anybody can split a log with one swipe. Even my sister. That's how you chop wood- the natural grain of it encourages it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Anyway, where do you live? Try the conservative south if you think conservative people won't gang up on anyone they sense to think the wrong think. I put up with that shit all the time growing up, especially in groups like boy scouts. I rarely spoke my own views to others but people have a way of digging and asking and digging when they can sense someone doesn't quite fit in their own group. And if you quietly put a green party or democratic bumper sticker on your car, expect to hear a lot of unsolicited opinions from bubbas and such who want to tell you why you're a fucking commie traitor and how they'd love to put a bullet between Obama's eyes.

Try going to a family reunion with a bunch of old republican aunts if you think progressives and left wingers are the only ones who do that shit. I'm guessing you live in a region with less social conservatives. Northwest coast? Southwest? Northeast?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Anyway, where do you live? Try the conservative south if you think conservative people won't gang up on anyone they sense to think the wrong think. I put up with that shit all the time growing up, especially in groups like boy scouts. I rarely spoke my own views to others but people have a way of digging and asking and digging when they can sense someone doesn't quite fit in their own group. And if you quietly put a green party or democratic bumper sticker on your car, expect to hear a lot of unsolicited opinions from bubbas and such who want to tell you why you're a fucking commie traitor and how they'd love to put a bullet between Obama's eyes.

Try going to a family reunion with a bunch of old republican aunts if you think progressives and left wingers are the only ones who do that shit. I'm guessing you live in a region with less social conservatives. Northwest coast? Southwest? Northeast?

Midwest. I'm sorry man. Gangs of conservatives are a lot scarier than gangs of liberals.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Midwest. I'm sorry man. Gangs of conservatives are a lot scarier than gangs of liberals.

gangs of liberals are kind of fun though, they tend to be multicultural, sort of like the gangs Charles Bronson always had to fight in the Death Wish movies. Gangs of conservatives...dueling banjos.