• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Tell me you're not going to make an argument that where you pee = degree of greed. ;)

Not really and that is why I have started the claim with sentence that involves the word "metaphorically". However the stress during childhood is something that is well documented and recognized as a social problem. Since it has profound effect on how your mindset develops. I will even be politically incorrect and say that you can take all Trump supporters on this forum as an example. From each one of them I have seen posts that are talking about economic stress and struggle that is inseparable from who they are at this point. Therefore for me this isn't something that should be overlooked in too fast fashion. Plus as I said million times before I grew up in the warzone climate and therefore I think that sometimes it really isn't your fault and that the game can really be rigged. Just because a chunk will get even through that at a great personal cost that doesn't mean all of this is desirable or ok. Some basic humanitarian standards have to be respected.

But we have been here before.

Is that right. No candidate can match all my positions on the issues which is why it's pointless for me to register as a Republican or a Democrat. I've had Republicans ask if I'm a Democrat and Democrats ask if I'm a Republican. Frankly, I take it all as a compliment. I don't fetch water for any group of people and I find it annoying when I see others doing it. Which means I'm annoyed on a regular basis since politics tends to be goddamn tribal.

This is different issue in my book, agreeing with someone 100% and not voting for someone that makes your life hell are two separate things. Will you vote for Trump in 2020 ? Judging from your posts I would say "no". Why ? Probably because he makes your life hell. While for many common people that person is more like someone that holds "mainstream policies". I am willing to bet that neither Trump or Bernie would be truly relevant at this point in the case that everything is ok in that "department". :shrug:

Jaguar

On September 14, 2001 Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting (Senators Larry Craig, R-ID, and Jesse Helms, R-NC).

On September 14, 2001 the House passed House Joint Resolution 64. The totals in the House of Representatives were 420 ayes, 1 nay and 10 not voting. The sole nay vote was by Barbara Lee, D-CA. Lee was the only member of either house of Congress to vote against the bill.

This is basically the language of what they agreed to:

Passed House without amendment (09/14/2001)

Authorization for Use of Military Force - Authorizes the President to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations, or persons.

For me? That is way too broad in scope. Look what he did with it - went to Iraq.

Jaguar

This is different issue in my book, agreeing with someone 100% and not voting for someone that makes your life hell are two separate things. Will you vote for Trump in 2020 ? Judging from your posts I would say "no". Why ? Probably because he makes your life hell. While for many common people that person is more like someone that holds "mainstream policies". I am willing to bet that neither Trump or Bernie would be truly relevant at this point in the case that everything is ok in that "department". :shrug:

I'm disgusted and tired of shouting at the prick when he's on TV. And should he be replaced by a Democrat, he'll probably still tweet crazy shit every day like a parasitic stalker.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm disgusted and tired of shouting at the prick when he's on TV. And should he be replaced by a Democrat, he'll probably still tweet crazy shit every day like a parasitic stalker.

You are probably right here. Which is exactly why I don't blame people who say that the whole thing is simply rigged against them. Many are objectively struggling in the situations that should be happening in the first place and therefore in this department I am open-minded towards the most, since this can happen to anyone at some point. Life can be unfair but there is no need to deny this since that surely wouldn't fix anything fundamentally.

Just a thought.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On September 14, 2001 Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting (Senators Larry Craig, R-ID, and Jesse Helms, R-NC).

On September 14, 2001 the House passed House Joint Resolution 64. The totals in the House of Representatives were 420 ayes, 1 nay and 10 not voting. The sole nay vote was by Barbara Lee, D-CA. Lee was the only member of either house of Congress to vote against the bill.

This is basically the language of what they agreed to:

Passed House without amendment (09/14/2001)

Authorization for Use of Military Force - Authorizes the President to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations, or persons.

For me? That is way too broad in scope. Look what he did with it - went to Iraq.

That's great, but perhaps because of my age at the time, that whole clusterfuck really caused me to look deeper and realize that there's way more that's messed up than just that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

do they give you a cell phone in jail

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Kerry 2.0

Trump will destroy him now. Anyone who still thinks Biden is "electable" is delusional at this point.

It's so easy to point this out, I have no idea what his defenders think they're defending. Plus if anyone want to go back and look at voting records and sponsored bills of US Senators, it's only going to make an even better case for Bernie.

Jaguar

Trump to drop $10 million on Super Bowl ad
Michael Bloomberg has also purchased $10 million in Super Bowl advertising.

:dont:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To be honest everyone is talking "this or that" in both parties but there isn't a single word about balancing the budget. Which is ultra serious issue and due to which the whole country is on borrowed time and in a frenzy. Having a deficit of a trillion year after year isn't a functional strategy. Therefore half of solution should probably be tax increase (especially for those that don't pay) and other half should be cuts. Since once the investors realize that the government has no real desire to return all those trillions there will be a meltdown ... and politicians in both parties don't really seem to care.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be honest everyone is talking "this or that" in both parties but there isn't a single word about balancing the budget. Which is ultra serious issue and due to which the whole country is on borrowed time and in a frenzy. Having a deficit of a trillion year after year isn't a functional strategy. Therefore half of solution should probably be tax increase (especially for those that don't pay) and other half should be cuts. Since once the investors realize that the government has no real desire to return all those trillions there will be a meltdown ... and politicians in both parties don't really seem to care.

There was a time when either party pretended to care about a balanced budget, but that ship has sailed. The only party seriously interested in stopping overspending has no chance in hell of ever attaining the Presidency or any significant percentage of congressional seats. So we're pretty much screwed regardless of which party holds power in 2021

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There was a time when either party pretended to care about a balanced budget, but that ship has sailed. The only party seriously interested in stopping overspending has no chance in hell of ever attaining the Presidency or any significant percentage of congressional seats. So we're pretty much screwed regardless of which party holds power in 2021

I know, that is why I put this out there. However if politicians don't politically address this in campaigns we are in the domain of fairly tales.
It really looks as if the politicians just gave up on this one.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

US tax revenue sharply dropped thanks to Trump cuts, new report says

At this point it makes no difference who has power.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't mind the tax cuts if they had been paired with actual budget cuts. We're spending too much on our offense budget. I refuse to call it a defense budget from here on.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I know, he greatly increased the deficit and real economy stayed more or less as it was. What leaves the question of who will cover that hole in the end. After all you can't have 1 trillion in cuts, that is a 1/4 of the whole federal budget and if you just cut 1 trillion in spending you will have a crash. Therefore the only option is to rise taxes and do some cuts over a few years, that is the only general way how to get back to 0 deficit at this point. However the devil is in the details. Making the minimum wage livable wage would help removing people from needing benefits. Rationalization of military spending would help. Reducing prison population would help in both spending and income. Trying to negotiate lower interest rate on debt would help. Cutting monopolies to make more money for the taxes would help ... etc.

I wouldn't mind the tax cuts if they had been paired with actual budget cuts. We're spending too much on our offense budget. I refuse to call it a defense budget from here on.

Ministry of defense exists in just about every country and that is just "politically correct" term.
However tax cuts with budget cuts is still bad if they are for the same amount, since the deficit remains the same. While budget cuts without tax cuts would actually hit the issue of deficit.
But in reality the deficit is so large and so big part of the budget that without increasing taxes it will be hard to balance it anytime soon. However it has to be balanced quickly since US is already one of the most in debt nations of the world, compared to its GDP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Scrap welfare, implement a negative income tax instead. You remove a costly part of the bureaucracy that way. Most of the people benefitting from the NIT will probably spend that money on more consumer goods, thereby stimulating the economy. This also takes the burden of creating a living wage off of the businesses, who will surely bitch and moan about a minimum wage increase and look for excuses to move overseas or outsource their labor. Considering how much a NIT would actually benefit the market, I'm surprised more of these libertarian republicans don't get behind this. Nixon and some republicans supported this in the early 70s, no matter how original Andrew Yang might like us to believe his ideas are.

A NIT kills three birds with one stone. Sure, it's still a subsidy for the poor, but far cheaper and more efficient than the current form of welfare we have and unlike what we currently have, a byproduct would be more people putting more money into the economy at greater frequency--especially if the NIT is to be issued in monthly rather than yearly payments.

Velocity of Money Definition

Velocity of money - Wikipedia

Money sitting in an account, even with compounding interest, is worth less than money that is constantly exchanging hands. Unfortunately we live in a world where money itself has become the commodity. An economy built primarily on investors and stocks is a shaky house of cards.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Officer Ed Powell said:
You remove a costly part of the bureaucracy that way.

I and lots of other libertarians support the Fair Tax; raise the sales tax to 15 to 23% and eliminate all income taxes and the IRS. Think of all the stress involved in doing your taxes - all gone. Businesses would save billions in cost from not having to hire lobbyists and accountants to find loopholes in the tax code. This would translate into more job opportunities and higher wages.