• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Other than Clark, I found Dean the only "electable" one of the 2004 bunch.

The scream was sort of a refreshing moment, an instance of a candidate appearing a little more human. I do remember the reactions of anchors and pundits though. A collective, slightly reserved scoff and attempt to paint him as a goofball lunatic, when in reality Dean was a fairly middle-of-the-road, level headed centrist who just happened to disagree with the neolib establishment on the Iraq War (we forget that a majority of congressional democrats at that time supported).

Yeah. He actually wasn't all that left-wing (and certainly nowhere near Bernie), he just opposed to stupidity of the Iraq War.

I never even saw the scream until now, and that just confirms me feeling that it was part of a smear campaign by the media. It was a big bunch of nothing.

Do you know how many times MSNBC mentioned the Bernie-Warren thing yesterday before the debate? It was brought up at least once an hour. I thought "Gee, they're really pushing that story hard."

Jaguar said:
Frankly, I've frequently found his comments to be eloquent. Still one of my favorite speeches in history:

Too bad he learned fuckall from his experiences and supported Vietnam: Desert Edition. I normally don't do the "OK BOOMER" thing, but I'd say his foreign policy stances might be a place where it applies.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And do you have anything to say about the content of the speech? Of course not.

I don't really care about the contents if the speech if he sent a new generation off to die in something equally pointless. What the hell does "eloquent oration" matter if your decision-making ability is that useless?

Jaguar

I don't really care about the contents if the speech if he sent a new generation off to die in something equally pointless. What the hell does "eloquent oration" matter if your decision-making ability is that useless?

Nothing new here. Were your arms flailing in the air when you typed that?

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm proud I don't want to tax the shit out of people.

Can't we just borrow money like we did for Biden and Kerry's wars, or whatever they did to increase government spending while tax cuts were being passed?

Why is this idea of "how will we pay for that" something that only comes up in the context of stuff like healthcare and education? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If we can do deficit spending for "defense", surely we can do it for other things.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Can't we just borrow money like we did for Biden and Kerry's wars, or whatever they did to increase government spending while tax cuts were being passed? Why is this idea of "how will we pay for that" something that only comes up in the context of stuff like healthcare and education? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If we can do deficit spending for "defense", surely we can do it for other things.
I think any money spent on defense is well spent, but I'm the cautious type. Debt is a big problem because it's linked to inflation. A minimum wage of 20 dollars an hour won't help much if that's what a loaf of bread costs.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think any money spent on defense is well spent, but I'm the cautious type. Debt is a big problem because it's linked to inflation. A minimum wage of 20 dollars an hour won't help much if that's what a loaf of bread costs.

Dick Cheney said:
You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due.

Either Cheney is wrong (which is definitely possible), or evidently there's no problem with increasing government spending while having tax cuts. Personally I don't hate poor people, so I think it would be good to spend government money on things like health care and education, even if that's kinda girly.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm proud I don't want to tax the shit out of people.

I have an issue that I pay more in federal income tax than Fed Ex and I do. So are you against taxing the shit out of people or are you against taxing the shit out of a company with $69.7 billion in fiscal 2019 total revenue? Because they are not the same things. I pay 32%, they pay 0%.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have an issue that I pay more in federal income tax than Fed Ex and I do. So are you against taxing the shit out of people or are you against taxing the shit out of a company with $69.7 billion in fiscal 2019 total revenue? Because they are not the same things. I pay 32%, they pay 0%.

We can't tax them because then they'll just move overseas because they don't just do that anyway.

Jaguar

Can't we just borrow money like we did for Biden and Kerry's wars, or whatever they did to increase government spending while tax cuts were being passed?

Why is this idea of "how will we pay for that" something that only comes up in the context of stuff like healthcare and education? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If we can do deficit spending for "defense", surely we can do it for other things.

I couldn't care less.