• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Me: INFP? ENFP? Something Else?

Nate

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I’m pretty sure I’m a xNFP based on cognitive functions and multiple, different tests. I'm completely sure I have Fi, Ne, Te, and Si in my function stack in no particular order, but I'm completely sure I have high levels of Fi and Ne compared to Si and Te. It's only the matter of figuring out whether I'm Fi-dom or Ne-dom.

What do you yearn for most in life. Why? At this point?

Right now, I just want peace, continue to improve myself and my skills, and work towards my dreams. I’ve gotten out of a time of stress in my life recently, and want space from any intense social interactions for a while. I just want space from interacting with people I know. Improving myself after recovering from stress is something I want to do, and become the best self I can be. As that happens, I also want to keep improving my artistic skills to try to get my dream job someday. Focusing on my goals to become an animator or a comic artist will help distract me from the aftermath of stress.

What makes you feel inferior?

I feel inferior when my thoughts in a serious conversation are pushed to the side, and considered unimportant. People who underestimate me in a topic I know better than they do also make me feel inferior in addition to feeling irritated. Then, there are times when people ask me for advice on a topic they believe I’m an expert in when I just know enough information to know the topic well, but not enough info to be a complete master of it. It’s that I’m stuck in that place smack-dab between amateur and expert. I want to help people, but then I feel both bad and inferior that I don’t know enough info to help the other person.

What plays a role in how you make decisions?

Emotions play a huge role in my decisions. In the first step, I consider how I might feel about it when I choose to do something, and how comfortable I would feel about it afterwards. Next, I think about all the outcomes that might happen, mostly negative possibilities than positive ones. Then, I consider how other people might feel about it, and how to do it in a way that would cause the least amount of conflict. The last step takes a while. It’s where I keep doubting myself whether it’s the right choice. Eventually, I become indecisive until I decide what to do.

When working on a project what is normally your emphasis?

I prefer to work alone on projects because I can focus on my own ideas instead of other people’s ideas clouding my own original idea. If it’s an art project, I try to get myself into the “flow” where I could just focus on drawing or painting for hours until I’ve completed a significant portion of it. If it’s a research project, I surf around the web to try to gather as much information as I can, and then organize it into something I can easily work with.

How organized are you?

My thoughts and plans for the day are organized like I have an idea of what I want to do in my mind, but I rarely physically use planners. Unfortunately, my organized thoughts don’t transfer over to reality. My room is messy and looks unorganized, but I know where everything is. In other words, it’s organized chaos.

Describe a time when you had fun.

One time I had fun was when I was on an online chat with a friend that lasted for a while. It was all typing because I’m not comfortable talking through a mic or using video to people online. It’s rare that I’ll find people in real life or online who would naturally click with me, and have ideas bounce back and forth. Our conversation train went from talking about anime to the definition of life to sarcastic jokes to a bunch of other topics that would take up too much space here. I ended the conversation because I felt exhausted, but I thought it was fun to talk to somebody who managed to understand me and have an idea bounce in a conversation. I felt like I gained something out of the chat.

How do you judge new ideas?

I look at if the new ideas fit in with my own thoughts. If they don’t fit, I won’t ignore them, but I’ll be more likely to look past them. If they’re ideas about politics and stuff that can be debated, I judge them based on my moral compass into right, wrong, and “I’m not sure what to think of this”.

You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

It’s complicated. I want to fit in with a group, but at the same time I just want to be me. When I get the feeling that a group doesn’t accept me, I may either try too hard to fit in and fall apart if I’ve known them for a while and couldn’t let go until it’s too late, or I’ll isolate myself from the group and follow what I want to believe in. I find myself happier being myself, but at the same time, I want to find somebody who understands me on some level.

How do you act when stressed out?

It depends on the situation.

If this is about work/school stress, I may turn up at places a bit later than the usual time. However, I would still try to keep up with the work I have, but with bad habits. I’ll do things at the last minute, and may spend a whole night sleepless before the due date just to finish a project.

Under stress people-wise, I turn into a self-centered ball of anger that’s critical of other people and myself. I lose my sense of logic when I’m angry, and I would try my best not to reach that point. I would give people a second chance or more to repair a relationship, but be extremely wary of them. If they messed up that chance, I would completely cut off all contact with them. At that point, I would ignore them as much as possible because I don’t have the emotional energy to care about them anymore. This doesn’t mean what I did was right either. How I react under stress would change as I get healthier.

What makes you not like someone?

When people underestimate me or ignore my opinions when I am serious, I don’t respect them as much other people unless they prove that they’re worthy of it. People who also piss me off are those who tease me beyond the point where I've told them I'm not okay with it, but continue to do so. I have my personal boundaries when it comes to things I'm okay with and not okay with.

What makes you like someone?

I admire people who are kind and understanding, but are not afraid to be honest and straightforward with me, voice their own opinions, and say that I am wrong. There also has to be room in the relationship to help each other grow, and become better people. I like to be able to have a conversation with them where ideas bounce back and forth instead of something like: the other person talks way too fast before I could complete my thoughts and controls the entire conversation, or the conversation is completely boring to me and gets nowhere. A bonus would be having some sort of common ground to connect with.

What do you find attractive?

When it comes to potential romantic partners? Well, I can be infatuated with people based on appearance, but I would never pursue a relationship with them. For me, it all comes down to personality, how they treat me, and the level of interaction I've had with them. Even then, I wouldn't pursue a relationship with them at that point either. When I find people attractive, I have a habit of idealizing them, but I know it's more infatuation instead of actual love. I would never try to ask people who I'm attracted to on a date.

--------------------

0) Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm an 18-year-old guy. I've been through a heavy amount of stress during the past few months, and I have depression and social anxiety.

1) Click on this link: Flickr: Page Not Found Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it. Flickr: Page Not Found

This looks like a nice place to be. I wouldn't mind setting a boat out there, and lying on the deck while letting the waves push the boat as I watch the skies.

2)You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I would internally panic at first, and tell a joke to try to ease the situation, but then get serious and offer suggestions on what to do like calling a tow truck.

3) You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I rarely go to parties, and I'd rather be at home. Even if I end up at the party, I wouldn't do much. I'd end up eating food, and sitting on the sidelines as I use the internet on my phone as a time sink while waiting for the party to end.

4) On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I'll just think it's a stupid claim, but I'd probably be too tired from the party to say anything at that point. If I had the energy, I'll mention something from my own beliefs, but wouldn't say too much to avoid arguing.

5)What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

It depends on the situation. If it's something I can't do anything about, I'll try to leave the situation. If it's something I can do something about, I'll be hesitant at first, but then try to do something about it.

6)What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Kindness/Politeness - Being kind and polite to everyone I know is something I’ve always valued. I guess it’s because I believe society values kindness. I dislike rude people. If I ever caught myself being rude, I would be ashamed of myself and cringe over and over again in my mind about how I was. Even if I’m dealing with people who hate me, I continue to be kind to them unless they are truly horrible human beings. In that case, I would just ignore them.

Authenticity - I’ve always hated it when people would lie or play mind games with me. For example, if somebody doesn’t want to talk to me, I want them to be direct with me and say they aren’t in the mood to talk to me instead of making up an excuse like they need to go to the bathroom, go to sleep, or some other excuse. Or worse, somebody doesn’t want to tell me the whole truth because they think it would hurt me more than a lie. Petty lies hurt more than the truth. If people could just be honest around me, I would be more likely to appreciate them.

Self-preservation - When I talk about self-preservation, I’m not talking about being selfish or self-centered. I’m talking about protecting myself, especially protecting my mentality from getting worse. I’ve had way too many people hurt me in the past, and a lot of emotional scars from it. I would save myself, and escape a conflict before things get too bad to heal myself and get away from all the pain.

7) a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about your personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I'm a pensive guy who wants to live a peaceful, content life. My skills are in the arts and animation, and I enjoy well-written sci-fi or fantasy stories whether they'd be in a book, a video game, or a TV show. Hmmm...what else should I say? I guess there really isn't enough things to distinguish me from everyone. This sounds cheesy, but I guess I can only be myself. There's no other person who's lived in the exact same place, been through the exact same situations, met the exact same people, and lived the exact same life as me.

b) I wish I was less self-conscious. If I was more confident, I think people would take me more seriously and enjoy talking to me more in person.

8)How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Most of the time, my gut feelings are usually right, but sometimes I get them confused with my social anxiety, and ignore them. They're usually triggered when somebody is trying to lie or manipulate me, or when somebody I know appears to be having a bad day.

9) a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) Once I get the motivation, I gain a steady flow of energy that helps me stay focused on drawing or painting. Art is something that comes naturally to me. Playing video games is a fun way to get energized. I like using strategies in video games, but having a good story in a game is the best part of a game. Exploring new and interesting places is also energizing.

b) Giant crowds of people are stressful, and I don't like being around most people. I also don't like staying in the same place for too long, but at the same time, I also don't like to travel to new places too fast. "All around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces..."

10) What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I don't necessarily share every thought I have in my mind out loud because sometimes they might sound weird or uninteresting. Also, if people piss me off, I don't yell at them or say anything, I just let the anger internally seethe.

------------------

You and your friends are going on a road trip!

a. How you feeling?

It depends. If it's someplace I look forward to going to, I would be excited. If it's anyplace else, I'll feel indifferent.

b. What are you looking forward to, if anything?

I would look forward to getting to the destination if it's someplace I want to go. It's either that, or I'll just look forward for a place to eat food.

c. What are you nervous or worried about, if anything?

I would be worried about my phone battery dying. The internet is my life source.

d. How do we prepare for this thing: what should we think about beforehand, and what should we leave to chance?

I would over-prepare if it's a trip that lasts for days. The main thing I would think about is having enough food and drinks to stay filled and hydrated during the trip, stuff like portable game consoles, books, or a phone to not get bored while on the trip, a GPS to keep track of where we're going, and anything that is needed on the trip by anyone. We should leave behind anything that can't fit inside the vehicle.

e. What kind of problems might arise, and how should we find a solution?

Some problems that might arise would be running out of food. We could just find a plaza or exit on the way to restock the food supply. There could also be heavy precipitation along the way. In that case, we would find a safe place to stop on the side of the road. There could also be a problem where there is traffic, and we might get delayed for our destination. I'm usually not the driver, so I wouldn't mind, and I'll just distract myself by listening to music or playing a video game. If the car runs out of gas, we would go to a gas station to refill. If there's a hole in the tire, somebody would have to repair it with a spare tire. If there aren't any spare tires, I guess we'll have to call a tow truck. There's actually a lot of potential problems I can think of, but they might take up too much space on here.

Amber97

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would say INFP, you seem to really value your own opinions to the point of disliking someone who doesn't agree with you. the self-preservation part sounds like Fi, and you like seeing yourself as a unique individual. I think an ENFP would be a bit more willing to see things from the other person's point of view since they like discussing ideas. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You use mostly concrete, literal language and seem quite practical.
I suggest looking into the S types more.
I suggest ISFJ, as well as reading Van Der Hoop's Introverted Sensing type description (shows the more romantic, inner workings of the type).

Nate

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]

I'm kind of iffy when it comes to examining language for determining type. There are other factors outside of cognitive functions such as the environment I'm raised in, the ideas that influenced me, the people I've been raised around, the writing styles I've been taught about, and etc. that may have influenced my language.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that I have Ne as my inferior cognitive function instead of my dominant or auxiliary function? While I don't have an N-bias, I've only assumed I'm more likely to be an N type because my Ne is well-developed. I guess not much of it was shown on the questionnaires I've answered, and there's also the point that there isn't enough information about myself outside of the questionnaire I've posted. I can certainly provide more examples on my Ne if you want me to.

However, if you anything else that may prove I'm more of an ISFJ instead of an INFP or ENFP, I'm willing to listen.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you read Van Der Hoop yet? What about Jung?

Nate

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I've read Jung, but I've only read through the Introverted Sensing section of Van Der Hoop so far. I'm still reading up on the other functions for Van Der Hoop. For now, I'm sticking up for Ne being either my dominant or auxiliary function, and I disagree with having Fe over Fi in my cognitive function stack.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I've read Jung, but I've only read through the Introverted Sensing section of Van Der Hoop so far. I'm still reading up on the other functions for Van Der Hoop. For now, I'm sticking up for Ne being either my dominant or auxiliary function, and I disagree with having Fe over Fi in my cognitive function stack.

Why are you asking for opinions if you've already typed yourself?

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see where ISFJ was seen but as someone with severe anxiety problems I know it can look like inferior Ne. I thought I was ISFJ myself but, like you, the Fi was there not Fe.

You're 18 and dealing with a lot of stuff so you might not be properly typed till your 20's. I do believe you have Fi. Where it stacks in the long run? Only time will truly tell. I see very little Ne to be honest. The only time I saw possible high Ne was how you deal with your friends. You're a clear introvert and not just because of the anxiety. I'd look into ISFP with well developed Ni.

However I believe you are truly asking if you're more extroverted or introverted and, of course, I've answered that above. So really that leaves you with INFP, ISFP, INTP, ISTP. I do not believe you're IxxJ. I'd research how the IxxP types handle stress, depression, anxiety.