• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe or Fi?

Sabbathhhank

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One way to think of it is as the difference between trying to 'fit in' (Fe) and trying to 'be yourself' (Fi).

I want to connect with others and form harmonious relationships but it’s difficult because I’m a man and also because I desire to do so in a firm authentic or deeper and genuine way past ideas of social norms and superfluous niceties. I’ve always been actually a very warm and fairly nice guy but that’s what the problem is, and why I’m not supposedly the “warm” “nice” one I question if Fe jus accepts whatever socially standards exist at the time, even if said people are superfluous and shallow you go along with whatever the standard or social norm at the time. My problem is I’m bad at acting or being overly gregarious and showy with my emotions.

But I guess that’s why hence Jesus is typed as an Infj because he “suffered for everyone’s sins” in that sense, and in my case, it just feels too submissive personally for me. I try to get along with other people but it just doesn’t feel worth it or possible or you have to honestly be a shallow and kind of petty mean-spirited person but maybe that’s just the west largely.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to connect with others and form harmonious relationships but it’s difficult because I’m a man and also because I desire to do so in a firm authentic or deeper and genuine way past ideas of social norms and superfluous niceties. I’ve always been actually a very warm and fairly nice guy but that’s what the problem is, and why I’m not supposedly the “warm” “nice” one I question if Fe jus accepts whatever socially standards exist at the time, even if said people are superfluous and shallow you go along with whatever the standard or social norm at the time. My problem is I’m bad at acting or being overly gregarious and showy with my emotions.
You sound like you incline to being an Fi user to me. A common issue Fi users face is that the connection is often found in the lack of judgement from other people. As in Fi users often find themselves in situations where they want to be accepted for who they are on a personal level without adhering to social norms. Whereas the Fe users tend to find issue in people who don't adhere to a standard, there is a more systematic (Ti?) approach to how group harmony is achieved.

Sabbathhhank

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You sound like you incline to being an Fi user to me. A common issue Fi users face is that the connection is often found in the lack of judgement from other people. As in Fi users often find themselves in situations where they want to be accepted for who they are on a personal level without adhering to social norms. Whereas the Fe users tend to find issue in people who don't adhere to a standard, there is a more systematic (Ti?) approach to how group harmony is achieved.

I guess that’s where Fe is not submissive then but I don’t bully people into fitting into my standard I’ve achieved it before but I don’t like it.

I’m sorta an individualist and I’m not overly religious so I don’t see the point in forcing un-yielding group standards on people, that’s a super complicated thing. The standard for me, I don’t know I relate a lot to Friedrich Nietzsches philosophy forcing groups standards in like being an abusive tyrant that everyone thinks is mean and scary because I don’t like acting I have to be like a colonel and act waaaaayyyyy too much, I like acting a little but you have to state your personal and physical boundaries so much that I just can’t be damned they’re like fishes in the sea to me. They got lost in the wilderness and became pagan worshippers it’s not true harmony and connection I’m not sure if (forcing) is really the solution, I try a little though it’s just...ugh it doesn’t seem to work for me.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess that’s where Fe is not submissive then but I don’t bully people into fitting into my standard I’ve achieved it before but I don’t like it.

I’m sorta an individualist and I’m not overly religious so I don’t see the point in forcing in-yielding group standards on people,

If Fe users believe that bullying others in bad form they'll not do it. In fact, you'll find that most Fe users are often trying to advise their friends on how to do things instead. You know... the friend that tries to advise you how to act to get what your trying to achieve, how to dress, how to get a girlfriend/boyfriend, how to get that job you want/ace the interview, etc. Fi users often find these things difficult to do as it doesn't conform to their individuality of sorts. Saying that, although an Fi user (FPs) doesn't feel like it's genuine, they're probably better at doing it than Fe valuing introverted thinkers, INTPs and ISTPs.

Sabbathhhank

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If Fe users believe that bullying others in bad form they'll not do it. In fact, you'll find that most Fe users are often trying to advise their friends on how to do things instead. You know... the friend that tries to advise you how to act to get what your trying to achieve, how to dress, how to get a girlfriend/boyfriend, how to get that job you want/ace the interview, etc. Fi users often find these things difficult to do as it doesn't conform to their individuality of sorts. Saying that, although an Fi user (FPs) doesn't feel like it's genuine, they're probably better at doing it than Fe valuing introverted thinkers, INTPs and ISTPs.

Well I disagree I find it abrasive and often times smacks of bullying not just from Fe-users but in general but then there you go *blows off entire lid to containment’s* I just blew everything up.

I have to be against collectivism but at the same time I’m not, it’s hard to say. The only response for me to be social is to bean abusive tyrant but then I disagree with that perception it’s the opposite way around for me, whose the tyrant here?

Fe reminds me of when we lived in communal group societies, and would spend lot of time around campfire/bond fires socializing and socializing and taking turns speaking around the fire I’m sure in those instances, Fe is very good but nowadays with our corporate super industrialized homogenous society we exist in, everything is out of whack, that being said needless to say I’m somewhat of an individualist in some ways but not completely.

Sabbathhhank

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wanted to say I fell khamp’s y view towards the social aspect of society I feel like the relationship between America and Japan are good examples. Japan is very collectivist but still manages to be somewhat individualist. Whilst Japan is not altogether individualistic enough for me, I feel like this is largely due to America’s influence wherein individuals are protected by America and things like their staunch belief and support of things like civil liberties and individual rights even though it causes problems for the community supposedly, whatever that means.

It’s just I have such problems with groups often times you look at a larger scale on a controlled setting sure it’s fine, but if you’re not careful you have riots and unruly stadiums where people yell and scream and I find that people can be really primitive and random/crazy without any desire to really make sense. There is a sense to it all and I just can’t really condone or side with that, it’s obvious to me the form and pattern if often takes and it’s often some subtle game, like groups can be really sneaky and manipulative and thus you just have to be careful with them. Plus, I think honestly it’s like Satan half of the time though I am not altogether religious? It’s just, Satan or occultist dark arts take your pick. Oh it’s ‘okay’ I guess, but I’m always effected. It’s okay, I don’t know, there’s the collectivist individual question again.

It’s like unfortunately the group’s fault a little, but it can be the individuals fault as well, the really extreme individuals, both polar sides of the spectrum.

Yay, dancing

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well I disagree I find it abrasive and often times smacks of bullying not just from Fe-users but in general but then there you go *blows off entire lid to containment’s* I just blew everything up.

I have to be against collectivism but at the same time I’m not, it’s hard to say. The only response for me to be social is to bean abusive tyrant but then I disagree with that perception it’s the opposite way around for me, whose the tyrant here?

Fe reminds me of when we lived in communal group societies, and would spend lot of time around campfire/bond fires socializing and socializing and taking turns speaking around the fire I’m sure in those instances, Fe is very good but nowadays with our corporate super industrialized homogenous society we exist in, everything is out of whack, that being said needless to say I’m somewhat of an individualist in some ways but not completely.

Sounds... human. Whether you're against it or not, or somewhere in the middle, perhaps the wisest thing you can do for yourself as an Fi user is to find good people who accept those who do no harm. As for the confusion of society, I still think social norms exist in their own little sub-cultures to each its own. It's an interesting thing to speculate about. Fe and Fi play their own roles in society. To understand them and play no bias towards each or the other will give you individual power.

Sabbathhhank

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds... human. Whether you're against it or not, or somewhere in the middle, perhaps the wisest thing you can do for yourself as an Fi user is to find good people who accept those who do no harm. As for the confusion of society, I still think social norms exist in their own little sub-cultures to each its own. It's an interesting thing to speculate about. Fe and Fi play their own roles in society. To understand them and play no bias towards each or the other will give you individual power.
Oh whatever, make blanket statements whilst ignoring the huge topics I’ve covered, I have all these books on history, sociology, politics and the like I’m not randomly making things up but the compulsion is to always ignore basic topics that don’t pertain to some limited spectrum.

‘ What is Nietzsche's notion of the will to power?
The “will to power” is a central concept in the philosophy of 19th-century philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. It is best understood as an irrational force, found in all individuals, that can be channeled toward different ends.’

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ 'Blanket statements'.. I guess it's intentional. I don't want to delve deeper in a sociological, psychological and philosophical discussion that could last pages long. And I can't foster the time or mental investment to care enough about it. No intention offending. cheers

Meowcat

Heh I see there's been some discussion.

[MENTION=40446]Sabbathhhank[/MENTION] I don't think I have the same issue with the "Fe things" you described. I'm more like I just don't focus on it. So it doesn't feel like to me I'd have to be petty or mean-spirited to get along with others. I just don't have an issue with interacting with others and I don't give it a special meaning or significance, I see nothing special or problematic about being friendly in a generic situation. My problem happens more if I just plain want something different from others, e.g. I want to go to a different restaurant (random example).

[MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION] I think being myself has never been an issue. When I'm like just being friendly with people in a generic social setting, I don't feel or think that that causes a problem with being myself. It just doesn't seem to be a relevant concern. Me being friendly in a social setting does not make me not being myself. That makes close to zero sense infact. See also the above.

There was talk about forcing standards on a group. I.e follow what others want to do. That's a problem when I want to do something else like my goal or want is just different from what others want. If it's more like, basic behavioural standards and just generic social norms, no problem with that unless it does get in my own way (sometimes).

You mention advice on how to act to get what you want to achieve. With things like job interviews individuality is definitely the last thing on my mind, because it's not relevant. What's relevant is, do you meet the requirements of the job and some basic social skills sure. But those are really basic again.

How to dress, that's easy, there's specific expectations for dressing for some situations, otherwise I just use my aesthetic sense to dress.

How to get a girlfriend/boyfriend, okay now that's just ridiculous. No one can pretend for long to behave differently from what they usually do. So plain common sense logic dictates it's pointless to do that. Just basic social skills and otherwise, chemistry, compatibility, shared goals etc matter. Oh and mentioning chemistry, you can't fake that either. It either happens or does not happen.

Edit:

Oaky, you mentioned Fi wants to be accepted for who they are on a personal level without adhering to social norms. I'd think everyone wants that in a close relationship. So again I'm like, I imagine most people care about the basic stuff for both Fi and Fe... ? That's me in any case. I don't focus on either too much by default for sure beyond that.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=39881]Meowcat[/MENTION] The things you mention sound like it inclines to Fe from my understanding. Fe people are not 'not individualistic' per se. It's just that the kind of person they are finds comfort in fitting in or being charismatic to various group standards rather than having themselves a sense of 'this is solidly who I am and that's it'. For example, if an Fe individual inclines to a certain subculture, they will lean towards trying to fit what that subculture portrays. Maybe a goth will dye his/her hair black, and buy only black clothes, and have black makeup on. Maybe a fashion-centric individual will keep up with the latest fashion trends and dynamically buy new clothes. A politically minded person might just follow and adopt the values and traits of their political party, and reject the opposing. Essentially it's representative. They have their individuality but it just means they'd find much more comfort in fitting in and adjusting to their chosen individual groups... if that makes sense? Fi users are more stubborn in changing the way they are. An Fi user at age 20, and age 40 will probably be more or less similar in their disposition. An Fe user at age 20, and at 40 will likely have changed.

Even in a job interview, an Fi user will find discomfort in having to dress a certain style for it, if it does not fit within their circle of personal values. An Fe user will more easily put on a suit, or fancy dress and makeup, do their hair, and go into the meeting knowing that it plays a role in the process, and they will feel more comfortable doing it, because it is part of their individuality to make, at the very least, a decent impression.

Meowcat

[MENTION=39881]Meowcat[/MENTION] The things you mention sound like it inclines to Fe from my understanding. Fe people are not 'not individualistic' per se. It's just that the kind of person they are finds comfort in fitting in or being charismatic to various group standards rather than having themselves a sense of 'this is solidly who I am and that's it'. For example, if an Fe individual inclines to a certain subculture, they will lean towards trying to fit what that subculture portrays. Maybe a goth will dye his/her hair black, and buy only black clothes, and have black makeup on. Maybe a fashion-centric individual will keep up with the latest fashion trends and dynamically buy new clothes. A politically minded person might just follow and adopt the values and traits of their political party, and reject the opposing. Essentially it's representative. They have their individuality but it just means they'd find much more comfort in fitting in and adjusting to their chosen individual groups... if that makes sense? Fi users are more stubborn in changing the way they are. An Fi user at age 20, and age 40 will probably be more or less similar in their disposition. An Fe user at age 20, and at 40 will likely have changed.

Even in a job interview, an Fi user will find discomfort in having to dress a certain style for it, if it does not fit within their circle of personal values. An Fe user will more easily put on a suit, or fancy dress and makeup, do their hair, and go into the meeting knowing that it plays a role in the process, and they will feel more comfortable doing it, because it is part of their individuality to make, at the very least, a decent impression.

Hmm well. Are you frankly saying that Fi users do not care to behave friendly in friendly social settings? Yes or?

Anyhow I'll say more on how I relate to what you wrote.

I really think I'm in the middle with being individualistic and same for being a collectivist. I have stuff from both approaches and I'm neither extreme.

I frankly never pay conscious attention to "fitting in". The wording itself sounds a turn-off to me. If I do not naturally enjoy the interaction in the moment then I am definitely not going to be a tryhard at "fitting in". I just follow the expectations on concrete, visible, tangible stuff. Such as, dressing, rules for the job interview, in general the concrete behavioural norms in situations etc. That to me isn't "fitting in", that's just a normal thing. If to you that's "fitting in", alright. To me it means viewing my own worth or fitting my own PERSON in terms of the group's opinions and I don't care to agree with others in that way just to fit in.

I'm not like a totally charismatic person. Lol it would be cool but no I am not. I'm able to influence people in other ways like just by my enthusiasm for example, but it's not done by doing a charismatic image. I can sometimes have a charming smile or whatever. If I'm in the right good mood for it then I can do that more but I don't do the tryhard thing again. It either works on its own or it does not. I do not expend effort for it. Make more sense?

Then as for "a sense of 'this is solidly who I am and that's it'" - Yes and no; I have a sense of what I am. "Who I am" sounds way too personal and I instinctively avoid such personal things. Just don't ask why, I don't know it's just how I am. I can say "what I am" or "how I am" very well, very easily, but "who I am" is a turn-off, too personal. Well I've just tried to translate it into my native language, because sometimes that matters... It's still not something I do. It sounds better in my native language (not English) but it's still not something I pay attention to. It's not a turn-off, just no attention on it. I do have a technical definition of what I am, tho' and that's very stable.

My understanding overall is that with the Fe part you were describing FJs, i.e. people with strong Fe. I'm anything but a person with strong Fe or FJ. I've never heard a Thinker say that they identify by other people's opinions. Nah. This is why I said I think you described FJs there.

Then you give examples.

For example, if an Fe individual inclines to a certain subculture, they will lean towards trying to fit what that subculture portrays. Maybe a goth will dye his/her hair black, and buy only black clothes, and have black makeup on. Maybe a fashion-centric individual will keep up with the latest fashion trends and dynamically buy new clothes. A politically minded person might just follow and adopt the values and traits of their political party, and reject the opposing. Essentially it's representative. They have their individuality but it just means they'd find much more comfort in fitting in and adjusting to their chosen individual groups... if that makes sense?

Err... so fashion, I do like fashion as long as it fits my own aesthetic taste too. I can get picky. I will not automatically buy all new clothes, whatever fits my sense of dressing I will gladly buy, but the rest I won't. I however also will NOT wear something that's like totally not fashionable at all. I care too much about my looks for that.

I have never been part of subcultures and I'm not very interested in such things.

Politics... I will have to agree rationally before I bother joining any political group or stance. I don't care about Fe, Fi, whatever, it HAS TO rationally make sense first and foremost. (Tbh I was not always this rational, I went by gut instinct originally but then I got disappointed enough in enough politics lol, so now I'm fully rational about it.)

You're going to also have to understand that in Enneagram I identify with social last. So groups don't particularly interest me, deffffinitely not on that level, LOL. Adjust the fuck to groups, that's not me. (I just do the basic concrete norms but nothing more really, the interaction just either works in the moment or it does not.) I'm better at adjusting to another person one on one. I'm not a people pleaser type but I don't mind doing the adjusting some. Especially if I get stuck in performing obligations/duties in the relationship. ... I view that as my way of implementation of such adjusting.

Fi users are more stubborn in changing the way they are. An Fi user at age 20, and age 40 will probably be more or less similar in their disposition. An Fe user at age 20, and at 40 will likely have changed.

I don't believe in people being able to actually change themselves. Nah, I'm mistrustful of character changes. Temperament is pretty stable too. People do change a little over time on average but not a whole lot usually. I personally do not feel I changed much from when I was half the age I am now. (Close enough to your 20/40 age comparison)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm well. Are you frankly saying that Fi users do not care to behave friendly in friendly social settings? Yes or?

Anyhow I'll say more on how I relate to what you wrote.

I really think I'm in the middle with being individualistic and same for being a collectivist. I have stuff from both approaches and I'm neither extreme.

I frankly never pay conscious attention to "fitting in". The wording itself sounds a turn-off to me. If I do not naturally enjoy the interaction in the moment then I am definitely not going to be a tryhard at "fitting in". I just follow the expectations on concrete, visible, tangible stuff. Such as, dressing, rules for the job interview, in general the concrete behavioural norms in situations etc. That to me isn't "fitting in", that's just a normal thing. If to you that's "fitting in", alright. To me it means viewing my own worth or fitting my own PERSON in terms of the group's opinions and I don't care to agree with others in that way just to fit in.

I'm not like a totally charismatic person. Lol it would be cool but no I am not. I'm able to influence people in other ways like just by my enthusiasm for example, but it's not done by doing a charismatic image. I can sometimes have a charming smile or whatever. If I'm in the right good mood for it then I can do that more but I don't do the tryhard thing again. It either works on its own or it does not. I do not expend effort for it. Make more sense?

Then as for "a sense of 'this is solidly who I am and that's it'" - Yes and no; I have a sense of what I am. "Who I am" sounds way too personal and I instinctively avoid such personal things. Just don't ask why, I don't know it's just how I am. I can say "what I am" or "how I am" very well, very easily, but "who I am" is a turn-off, too personal. Well I've just tried to translate it into my native language, because sometimes that matters... It's still not something I do. It sounds better in my native language (not English) but it's still not something I pay attention to. It's not a turn-off, just no attention on it. I do have a technical definition of what I am, tho' and that's very stable.

My understanding overall is that with the Fe part you were describing FJs, i.e. people with strong Fe. I'm anything but a person with strong Fe or FJ. I've never heard a Thinker say that they identify by other people's opinions. Nah. This is why I said I think you described FJs there.
Perhaps 'fitting in' is not the best terminology to use. Would it be better if I were to say 'adhering to expectations', 'employing manners and consideration', and 'cultural awareness'? I didn't intend it to be a negative phrase in any sense. Secondly, we're all human, meaning the average person will be conditioned to a personality which utilises to some degree, all personality functions. The ones who take their traits to extremes tend to become stereotypes. Furthermore, in accordance to the theory, the grasp of Fe is well understood by EXFPs(Fi-Secondary) and to a slightly lesser degree IXFPs(Fi-Doms), likewise, the grasp of Fi is well understood by IXFJs (Fe-Secondary) and to a lesser degree EXFJs (Fe-doms)

It's no issue if you're not an FJ. I only thought that you inclined to it based on a few things you wrote. I'm not sure what type you are to be honest, you could be an Fi type too. A good way to know is to understand yourself on whether you'd prefer integrity over grace, or grace over integrity. Of course people can have both, but the preferred one makes more apparent whether a person inclines to Fi or Fe.

I can answer further on the rest of your post at a later time. I must be off.

Meowcat

Perhaps 'fitting in' is not the best terminology to use. Would it be better if I were to say 'adhering to expectations', 'employing manners and consideration', and 'cultural awareness'? I didn't intend it to be a negative phrase in any sense.

I didn't think you meant it in a negative way, it's just negative to me, lol. And yeah, "adhering to expectations" that's fine. I thought SJs adhere to expectations a lot. I do relate to it like that.

As for "employing manners and consideration" yeah again I'm like SJ stuff with it so yes I relate.

"Cultural awareness" huh? I'm not following you at all.

Secondly, we're all human, meaning the average person will be conditioned to a personality which utilises to some degree, all personality functions. The ones who take their traits to extremes tend to become stereotypes. Furthermore, in accordance to the theory, the grasp of Fe is well understood by EXFPs(Fi-Secondary) and to a slightly lesser degree IXFPs(Fi-Doms), likewise, the grasp of Fi is well understood by IXFJs (Fe-Secondary) and to a lesser degree EXFJs (Fe-doms)

It's no issue if you're not an FJ. I only thought that you inclined to it based on a few things you wrote

I seemed an actual FJ? nice lol

I'm not sure what type you are to be honest, you could be an Fi type too. A good way to know is to understand yourself on whether you'd prefer integrity over grace, or grace over integrity. Of course people can have both, but the preferred one makes more apparent whether a person inclines to Fi or Fe.

I think anyone who knows me would say I prefer integrity, lol me and grace....they are not familiar with each other:)

I can answer further on the rest of your post at a later time. I must be off.

OK, I'll be all ears whenever you got the time!

Meowcat

I'm thinking like [MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION] alluded to it before (I think it was Vendrah, yeah?) most of my stuff isn't type but circumstances more. Same true for everyone.

Like for a while I needed to be more rigid to be able to deal with some stuff. Now it seems like I need to be more relaxed to deal with stuff. Felt J, feelin' P now.

And what's type then...

I still say what always was/has been true of me is I cared/care about achievement. And yes materialistic ones too...And then fairness. Hmm what else, I'll be thinking about this too

whateverr

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks a lot for your answer. Does it seem like inferior Fi or more tertiary? Is inferior Fi confident too like that?

edit: I guess I'm confident in what my tendencies are. I'm less confident in what I actually feel. That's one reason why I've been considering inferior feeling

You really sound Fi dom tbh.
What kinda sold it to me was the way you write. Te is about being reasonable to the outside. 90% of your writing was very much dependent on what you feel about it and not in "making us understand it". And your deal seems to be more "people centric" rather than "info centric". So there is most likely an introverted judger on top and i'd guess Fi. You don't seem really worried in making us understand anything and, most of the questions that required explanation you were like "i dunno, i just like it". You're more like "here are my feelings, get them" rather then "here are all the reasons that anyone reading could understand about what makes me feel the way i probably do, but i'm not really sure about those, so please help me to understand all of these things that go on inside me that i don't really pay much attention to" which would be Te over Fi.

I'm thinking like [MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION] alluded to it before (I think it was Vendrah, yeah?) most of my stuff isn't type but circumstances more. Same true for everyone.

Like for a while I needed to be more rigid to be able to deal with some stuff. Now it seems like I need to be more relaxed to deal with stuff. Felt J, feelin' P now.

And what's type then...

I still say what always was/has been true of me is I cared/care about achievement. And yes materialistic ones too...And then fairness. Hmm what else, I'll be thinking about this too

You should try to pay attention to the ratio of your behavior. Not the things you care about, those can be VERY misleading. Because then you'd be focus on who you'd want to be, or who you think you should be, and not in who you really are. Which is usually a weird kinda opposite type. INTJ's become ISFP's, ENTP's become INFJ's, it's all kinda weird.
One thing that really helped me was to find out where you were really unbalanced. You know that person that has an obvious trait that everyone can see except for themselves? And if you ask them about it they'd swear TO GOD that they don't have those traits that you see all the god damn time? Those are the traits you should look for. That trait is probably your dom. And the problem that everyone sees about you, except yourself, is probably your inferior function. What we consciously see, are often our middle functions, we tend to be more balanced towards those. But our dom and inf, ooooh boy those are the ones that we, respectively, really overwork and ignore, define 90% of our personality and we don't even notice. Jung said in some book (Se inf right here not giving a sh*t about accurate sensory info "some book") that no one sees the most important traits about themselves. You should triangulate and ask your close relatives, family and friends about the things that you probably don't even see and that constantly make you look like a fool. Those are your dom and inf.

Meowcat

You really sound Fi dom tbh.
What kinda sold it to me was the way you write. Te is about being reasonable to the outside. 90% of your writing was very much dependent on what you feel about it and not in "making us understand it". And your deal seems to be more "people centric" rather than "info centric". So there is most likely an introverted judger on top and i'd guess Fi. You don't seem really worried in making us understand anything and, most of the questions that required explanation you were like "i dunno, i just like it". You're more like "here are my feelings, get them" rather then "here are all the reasons that anyone reading could understand about what makes me feel the way i probably do, but i'm not really sure about those, so please help me to understand all of these things that go on inside me that i don't really pay much attention to" which would be Te over Fi.

Thanks for your input. I'm amused about being typed as a Feeler. I think that's a dead-end, to be constructive here. But your input has been interesting otherwise. This actually made a lot of sense to me: "here are all the reasons (...) about what makes me feel the way i probably do, but i'm not really sure about those, so please help me to understand all of these things that go on inside me that i don't really pay much attention to". Story of my life in the last year. I'm luckily past this phase for the most part by now and I stopped getting so much input from external sources (articles, books, people etc).

But either way, can you give me some specific examples where I was coming off as people centric, and "here are my feelings, get them"? I'm curious. As I am still curious about all the feely stuff lately, though I'm slowly returning to my normal pov, but I don't want to forget the lessons learned.

EDIT: I realise now that you were talking about my OP where I filled out that short questionnaire. (Tho' I don't know if you were talking just about my OP questionnaire. As I did not focus on people there, I mentioned what I prefer or like as I was asked about that, but I did not talk about people.) Yeah, I did not explain anything there at length and gave short answers only. Because the "why" questions were way too general and abstract to me, being asked about why I prefer x thing. I cannot tell you, no, I can only tell you if I prefer something or not. I can tell you in detail how I prefer it compared to something else, but I cannot give a very good general answer beyond the details or beyond some trivial answer. Such as, liking fashion because of the good looks. Why I like good aesthetics though, well I just do have that preference. I always did. I noticed I highly care about the looks of things I own or about my own looks. I can tell you in detail what things I prefer based on their looks, but I cannot go deeper or more far reaching general with the reason than that. The best I can attempt is tell you how I started dressing fashionably as a teenager. I can tell you that in detail but cannot give you the why beyond describing the experience I actually had. I don't make abstract meaning out of such things is how I can best sum this up. All in all: I respond way better to questions asking "what" rather than "why". I'm fine with explaining about the "what" but the "why" eh not so much. The "why" would lead to never-ending turtles anyhow, I'd expect. ;)

Okay, this made me think a tiny bit further. So yeah, I think it would be alien from me if I was to *only* go by rational utilitarian reasoning as in, I must do x thing only and not y thing, because it's rationally beneficial. I use this reasoning too, but not just that. I'm more like... I have certain set preferences and arrange and organise things neatly around that. All this does include reasoning for what's rationally beneficial and this simplifies the organising process for sure, but, it's not the starting point alone. This may be a point for ISTJ over ESTJ, ...? Thinking out loud.

You should try to pay attention to the ratio of your behavior. Not the things you care about, those can be VERY misleading. Because then you'd be focus on who you'd want to be, or who you think you should be, and not in who you really are. Which is usually a weird kinda opposite type. INTJ's become ISFP's, ENTP's become INFJ's, it's all kinda weird.

As for ratio of my behaviour, that's still the same answer. Achievements incl. materialistic stuff.

That made me think however - the stuff that I care about but I apparently do not express in behaviour is meaningful special relationships. Also somewhat more emotional connection with people. Especially that part is hard to express. The more I try to focus on this, the harder, apparently.

And I have actually considered it lately and it frankly was a very unpleasant idea, that I may not actually need these things all that much. I am not sure what is making me think that I do, or I should care, or whatever, but because I believe that I care is why I have spent so much time trying to see all the feelz, emotionz, relationships, people stuff. Which my thread is full of, but I expect it's boring to most people where I go into detail about it.

One thing that really helped me was to find out where you were really unbalanced. You know that person that has an obvious trait that everyone can see except for themselves? And if you ask them about it they'd swear TO GOD that they don't have those traits that you see all the god damn time?

I had a problem with being called *overly* forceful. Not a problem with being called forceful, just if called *overly* so. I accepted that after a long time, though. That it's sometimes true. I am fine with that now ... Everyone has their negative traits.

Another thing I have had a problem with and I do not see it and I never will, because it's complete bullshit; when certain people want to see me as sensitive. Then they make these assumptions that I have the emotional needs that - in the way I see it, I'm not trying to offend anyone - such sensitive people have, which to me would indicate weakness in myself if I had them. I mean... I'm not trying to call people weak who have those needs. It just would be me being weak if I had them. I feel more myself being tough against emotions/feelz. I have been returning to my old self with that.

But I have been also called insensitive or cold, so .... it depends. And I'll add more below.

Those are the traits you should look for. That trait is probably your dom. And the problem that everyone sees about you, except yourself, is probably your inferior function. What we consciously see, are often our middle functions, we tend to be more balanced towards those. But our dom and inf, ooooh boy those are the ones that we, respectively, really overwork and ignore, define 90% of our personality and we don't even notice. Jung said in some book (Se inf right here not giving a sh*t about accurate sensory info "some book") that no one sees the most important traits about themselves. You should triangulate and ask your close relatives, family and friends about the things that you probably don't even see and that constantly make you look like a fool. Those are your dom and inf.

I'm not clear on this now. You mean a trait that's not necessarily negative or a big problem but I just don't see in myself while others do is to do with the dominant function? And if it's an actual problem while I still don't see it in myself then it's to do with the inferior function?

I think I consciously see my forcefulness; I just previously disagreed with the idea that it's "too much pushiness" etc etc. Now I can see how it can be too much for some.

Also, I very recently have been really pissed off at someone who kept calling me cold and analytical. I can't even explain why. I just don't like to be too analytical beyond a point, I like my real life goals and achievements and materialism. Again, those are most conscious for me along with the forcefulness. Then sometimes I notice being detail oriented and anally analytical, too, but that's less often. This is the part however that I have felt really uncomfortable about. I CAN see it sometimes but I just don't like to .... again, I don't know why. The best way I can try to describe it, it makes me feel being put on the spot. If that makes sense. I don't think I fully accept this part in myself. I accept and welcome the forcefulness more readily (as long as it doesn't get to be too much of a negative trait, it's been harder for that part of it). I have tried to work on accepting the analytical detail-oriented stuff as part of myself consciously but eh. Better off if I don't think about this too much. I just avoid staying in it all day either way, because then I would be missing my more dynamic half that's less detail oriented (and yes more forceful etc etc).

As for a list of common criticism by people - I would respectfully disagree about the idea that these things make me look like a fool - about my negative traits, that I can recall now: overly forceful/aggressive/pushy, impatient, overly logical/analytical, stuck in details, distant/cold, socially aloof, dogmatic (!??!), rigid, insensitive, looking down on others. These have come up the most often. But mostly the aggressiveness stuff. Runner-up is the being distant and the impatience and the details-orientation; and then the rest less often than that. Note on the social aloofness: that's just in some cases but then it's very much so. And then I can look like I look down on others .... That one is still mystifying to me but eh.

The one thing that could make me look like a fool I don't want to think of. My being too enthusiastic (emotionally and then sometimes just being too pushy) sometimes when I care about someone. This is hard to explain. I just don't even want to think about it. It's too hard to face. As someone once used it to try and hurt me, as well.

Ah also trying to pull bullshit ideas out of nowhere, but I don't even try. I know THAT would make me look like a fool, heh. It easily makes others look like fools, too.

So anyway, I don't know if all this makes up a type neatly according to your framework. I could see Te (impatience and the like) being auxiliary based on this being pretty conscious, but not sure where I'd put the rest, because some of it sounds like inferior Feeling at the same time. Tho could reason for inferior Intuition considering that I didn't even mention that one (except with the being dogmatic thing that I really reject seeing in myself). And Si, if we want to call the detail-oriented stuff Si, well I could call it dominant. I'm however still okay with the idea of typing at ESTJ instead of ISTJ.

Let me know what you think if you have any further ideas. Thanks.

Meowcat

Oh. One more thing. [MENTION=40424]whateverr[/MENTION]

What I think I should be..... that's where the more feely stuff comes up. I thought I should focus on feelings more, basically. (Returning to my old self, thinking the "I should" less about this now. Thank god...) But, what I have actively cared about rather than just thinking "I should be", that's emotional connection (or I thought I care?) and then sometimes finding some really great idea (by insight) that's so great that it's like a paradigm shift, meanwhile it makes total sense to everyone and can be put to use, but the real point here is the idea being big... I don't like to talk about that part at all .... I frankly cannot take that seriously for long when this comes up. So I usually do not believe in this. Just sometimes for a short time. Could be inferior Intuition tho'. I take the emotional connection part more seriously and tried to work on that actively, tho' yah the results could be better but not totally wasted time and effort....just considering HOW much time and effort I've put in, it's not as big results so far. Still, don't want to forget what I've learned there.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

And what's type then...

I only did a very quick and lazy reading through the posts on this page and I want to give you a warning.

I am aware that there are INFP and ENFP are usually "repressed" and have some sort of sad story behind (and I know more or less how that sad story looks like because I partially experienced it). Thats normal, happens with, in my estimations, 20-30% of NFPs in US. Part of these people does "change" type or change type (if type changes or not it is a matter of belief, and Jung is in favor for changing), I had been trying to track which type they end up or how it happens but it is very hard and I have other interests in this department than that complicated task. There are ESTJs here, and perhaps few ISTJs here, that arent really ESTJs or ISTJs at all, but, of course, I wont go to a thread to seriously pointing out on them because they would be offended and I only have weak data on my argument and thats quite a controversial thing that have the risk to break MBTI. However, one sign of fake ISTJ and ESTJ is Fi on the 3rd or 4th position of the stack (as I should mentioned before, these ter. functions doesnt work, so having tert. Fi for ISTJ/INTJ is not really natural), specially if it is ESTJ (where FI is more likely, although not limited to, be located on the back).

Most times I enter in a thread, and this is no exception, I consider with emphasis on the person you are today, not your past, your future or, rather, your long term "me". I am trying (but thats quite difficult) to create some sort of theory to try to tackle the "long term me" but that would require not only resources and to collect data from people from different tests but also some work in theory, me reading Jung (reading Jung is complicated, Jung is usually unclear). So my ISTJ answer is for the moment, you could be a long term Fi type. You can try to put Dario Nardi test combined with Big 5 with facets tests, but I dont think that would work because I have zero data for ISTJ and ESTJ in Big 5 and have no idea how a realistic ISTJ and ESTJ result would look like for these types, but I do have some deductions about what position they would be ranked when compared to other type averages (using cognitive functions, I can correlate each cognitive function with mostly IN types and I can use an approximated stack, which is Si-Te-Ti for ISTJ, to rank using correlations).

Last time that I could track someone on its shadow (with some uncertainty), [MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] pointed the type correctly out in a sea of people having different answers, including me (I said "no answer"). People were saying ISTJ, ISFJ while [MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] pulled "ENFP" out of nowhere until I could, for reasons I no longer remember, deduce ENFP on shadow given neurotic information plus the stack results several months later. If a person have Neuroticism higher than 80%, it is imminent that the type is somewhat messed. If it is 70, the risk is high. Lower than that, then it is way less likely. And, just to remember, people talks about shadow all the time. Nobody knows how to determinate if someone is on their shadow or not in a proper way.

Meowcat

[MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION] - Thanks for your input again.

I don't really know what my 3rd or 4th position is for the stack. What I do know is again this, I was (finally came out enough of it) in a "grip" for a while where I was trying to look at my internals and eventually that would result in some emotion or insight or (most rarely but most useful) big picture of connecting dots of things with regard my internals and emotions and other people and my relationships and interactions with them.

Before this started, the only type of grip (or similar state, maybe not full-on grip) I would sometimes have was not emotional at all, was more about getting disoriented when things were not going as I wanted them to, and wasting time checking out some non-conventional "magic" solution. But I would integrate what I learnt from such approaches into my default approach and it would be helpful even, even if it was a lot of effort and wasted time. I say this is less of a grip than the above because it just simply was less of an upheaval for me cognitively or otherwise. Involving the emotions like above would be the biggest upheaval.

As for my typing, I really think that chasing any Feeling type option would be a waste of time here. I did ask in this thread (and in my other thread too) before whether whatever I am looking at in my grip-like experience is Fi or Fe, but it pretty much isn't my default approach, whether Fi or Fe.

I do want to say I'm not excluding that that "grip" is more shadow than grip, too. I would say it gets/used to get pretty horrible anyway... Then it could be Fe while I am a Fi type, or vice versa, or whatever, etc. And for the Intuition part too, Ni or Ne being shadow.

But I am INFx in that grip thingie. Sometimes it turns into an E-ish something too. But way more I than E. Still not sure on the "x" (J/P) or on the functions in relation to that grip thingy.

OK so, I tried the nardi test now, keys2cognition site, yeah?

Got this:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************************************** (42.1)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************************************** (40.1)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************ (12.4)
unused
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************* (19.7)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************* (19.7)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.7)
average use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISTJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Sensing (Si): Stabilizing with a predictable standard. Carefully comparing a situation to the customary ways you’ve come to rely on. Checking with past experiences. Stabilizing a situation and invest for future security.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Thinking (Te): Measuring and constructing for progress. Making decisions objectively based on evidence and measures. Checking if things function properly. Applying a procedure to control events and complete goals.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ESTJ, or ISTP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Improviser; secondly Stabilizer; then Theorist; and lastly, Catalyst.

Then I did truity.com's basic Big 5 test:

Openness 52%
Conscientiousness 56%
Extraversion 42%
Agreeableness 35%
Neuroticism 17%

It said my Openness with the 52% was slightly lower than average, but it would not show the rest of the comparisons to the population without me paying for it. So no idea if the Conscientiousness is lower too or just plain average. Tbh if you ask me, I'd say average for myself on that. The other three scores here I'm pretty sure are lower scores than average. And that is about in line with how I see myself. For Neuroticism I would add I answered based on how I usually am, but in that grip-like experience it should be higher, because I do sometimes experience strong negative emotions then. Also I can be irritable outside any "grip" too, but other than that yeah no negative emotions by default.

What do you think of these results? If you have a preferred Big 5 test, feel free to let me know, I'm OK with filling it out, you can use my data as datapoint for your research. :)

Anyway about the results. You said the approx stack is Si-Te-Ti for ISTJ. I got Se-Te-Si, what would that be closest to?