• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Just for Curiosity’s Sake...

What do you think Hermit’s type is?

• Total voters

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You all know me (kind of). Based solely on your perceptions thus far what do you think my type is?

I don’t think you’re self-deluded but I can see the possibility of a very laid back INFP. Sometimes a mellow temperament can be misunderstood. I think you feel quite a bit (and it can be an INFP trait) but keep your deepest emotions hidden because they’re intimately private to you. They can reveal too much and leave you feeling vulnerable. I know because save when I’m aggravated most of my strong emotions are never broadcast. That’s too personal for my tastes.

Anyway, that’s my take.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I voted for ISFJ and ISFP, but I wonder if ISFP fits more. It sounds a lot like you!

According to Myers-Briggs, ISFPs are peaceful, easygoing people who adopt a "live and let live" approach to life. They enjoy taking things at their own pace and tend to live in the moment. Although quiet, they are pleasant, considerate, caring, and devoted to the people in their lives. Though not inclined to debate or necessarily even air their views, their values are important to them.
Quiet, friendly, sensitive, and kind. Enjoy the present moment, what's going on around them. Like to have their own space and to work within their own time frame. Loyal and committed to their values and to people who are important to them. Dislike disagreements and conflicts, do not force their opinions or values on others.
isfp_head_normal_small.jpg

It sounds a little like me too though. lol

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Self-deluded INFP"? Aren't all INFPs self-deluded? :D I'm joking, of course. Or am I deluding myself into thinking that? ;)

I agree with what Pop said. But I think you could be INTP also... the others are possible... though I think dichotomy wise you seem more N. Function wise, I see more Ne than Ni...So that would give you INTP, INFP, or ISFJ. But I feel more confident wielding enneagram than mbti. ;)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In theory you could be INTP. You say things that are not inconsistent with some of the INTPs I know. But you have never "felt" like an INTP to me, and I know quite a few. You have always come across as a very thoughtful (both meanings) INFP, or less likely, ISFP. You remind me a bit of an INFP former student.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re; your response to my rep: It's just... Kind of vibes. I don't know how you work or make decisions, and in our conversations, you are mostly responsive and follow the flow. It is simply that INTP 9 and INFP 9 are very starkly different, and I think you do fit INTP 9 more as a whole.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re; your response to my rep: It's just... Kind of vibes. I don't know how you work or make decisions, and in our conversations, you are mostly responsive and follow the flow. It is simply that INTP 9 and INFP 9 are very starkly different, and I think you do fit INTP 9 more as a whole.

I'd love for you to elaborate on how INTP and INFP 9s are different! Please! :)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd love for you to elaborate on how INTP and INFP 9s are different! Please! :)

[gently disintegrates]

It's really subtle, I don't really... Know how to articulate it. It's only vibes.

Hermit of the Forest

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In theory you could be INTP. You say things that are not inconsistent with some of the INTPs I know. But you have never "felt" like an INTP to me, and I know quite a few. You have always come across as a very thoughtful (both meanings) INFP, or less likely, ISFP. You remind me a bit of an INFP former student.

How did you know your student was an INFP?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I brainfarted hard. I am comparing several people in my head and at first I thought it was stark, till I actually had to put them into words, and went "shit".

Or the differences could be difficult to put into words ;)

I would think Ti and Fi 9s could have a huge variety, depending on what they value, and their instinctual variants.

Why do you think you're not an INFP, Hermit? Ti vs Te?

Hermit of the Forest

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why do you think you're not an INFP, Hermit? Ti vs Te?

I really don’t relate to the INFP descriptions, particularly when it comes to introverted feeling. No offense, but it seems too inwardly focused and prone to navel gazing. My emotions revolve more around other people and relationships (though not in a necessarily selfless way). People and relationships fascinate me. Emotion is very interesting too. Some emotions can seem silly or bad, some even dangerous (I don’t like those), but they are very human. I want to understand humanity. I want to be human. I’m so tired of cold, from others... from myself. I just want to be warm, so I’ve very purposefully made myself a warm and fuzzy persona.

So yeah, I relate to Fe much more than Fi. I also very much admire the SJ role of guardian or caretaker. It’s not something I’m good at, but I hope to be better with practice.

As for Ti vs Te, I can see both in me but Ti is far more natural to wield were as Te takes much more energy to activate. Analyzing my environment is far easier than controlling it. Though I will try if I feel it necessary, especially if I’m under stress.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I really don’t relate to the INFP descriptions, particularly when it comes to introverted feeling. No offense, but it seems too inwardly focused and prone to navel gazing. My emotions revolve more around other people and relationships (though not in a necessarily selfless way). People and relationships fascinate me. Emotion is very interesting too. Some emotions can seem silly or bad, some even dangerous (I don’t like those), but they are very human. I want to understand humanity. I want to be human. I’m so tired of cold, from others... from myself. I just want to be warm, so I’ve very purposefully made myself a warm and fuzzy persona.

So yeah, I relate to Fe much more than Fi. I also very much admire the SJ role of guardian or caretaker. It’s not something I’m good at, but I hope to be better with practice.

As for Ti vs Te, I can see both in me but Ti is far more natural to wield were as Te takes much more energy to activate. Analyzing my environment is far easier than controlling it. Though I will try if I feel it necessary, especially if I’m under stress.
Hmm, I dont know if you've made up your mind now so disregard this if it's done. But I do think you have some bias here. Because on one hand, you are referencing functions, but on the other hand, you're referencing descriptions. And description wise ISFJ and INTP are quite far apart. You seem to have a notion that Fi is self centered or selfish. I think this is not true at all! IxFPs are feelers first and foremost. If anything they would be more selfless and focused on relationships than INTP. I think these descriptions are somewhat good

Portrait of an INFP
Portrait of an ISFP
Portrait of an ISFJ
Portrait of an INTP

I don't know if my interpretation is right or not, but from what I have read, I like to think of Fi as having deeply felt internal values, but being very laid back and not applying them to other people. That's why IxFPs are so flexible, adaptable and likeable. Whereas Fe is more proactive in their values. Which is why xxFJs can get called annoying, pushy, or judgmental from time to time. I have also seen some people give Fi a really harsh description, and I don't think that's right. IxFPs can be caring and interpersonal too. But INFPs do seem more dreamy and head in the clouds, and more serious/introspective, whereas ISFPs seem even more laidback and tolerant. Speaking from my real life friend only, who took the test and got ISFP, she's social and fun to be around. My first impression of her would definitely not be "inwardly focused" :unsure: or "navel gazing"

It's the same reason why I did not relate to INFP, personally. The combination of I,N,F,P makes it seem like the most intuitive, the ultimate romantic, dreamer, lyricist, poet, etc. None of that fit me. They are described as being idealists, deep humanists, extremely vivid imaginations, excellent writers, etc. If you find yourself not relating to these parts you might want to look into ISFP too. I think everyone is just assuming N because you type as INTP. But it’s worth considering.

Although that above quote does sound somewhat detached.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

As far as I know, focusing on people and relationships are still an F-thing.

I brained a small description. Between my INTP 9 and INFP 9 friends, especially if they have no sp, INTP 9 are more of a warm, but still distant observer. They help and involve when asked. INFP 9 are more of this... They aren't more 'active' necessarily, but they are more sensitive to people, so I find that they more intentionally make themselves involved, sometimes at the risk of losing their own agenda. It's as if they (and the closer they are to you the more this is true) see your words as commands and extend themselves into fulfilling it to keep up the good feelings and harmony. INTPs can do that, but they still have their BS radar intact, they just don't say anything. I don't see the former happening in INTPs (or you). "My emotions revolve more around other people and relationships (though not in a necessarily selfless way)." does still sound Fi in general, however. I find INTP, even if 9s, overly quantifying, 'objectifying' people in the sense that they try to theorize or compute what people are like, and naturally forgetting the emotional components of the puzzle. I don't know if you do that. If either are being too agreeable, if you press them hard enough, they do end up coming up with Fi reasons or Ti reasons however. Fi in being overly moral and afraid of hurting others, Ti in overcompensating with their logic or trying to 'logically' explain things, overly rationalizing things. Fi seems to find that too detached and less involved, Fi 'puts their heart into it'- I don't know if you do this, however.

This is just a general observation tying two types of two different systems together though, please keep in mind this is all vibes + just personal experience.

Can you post excerpts of what you relate to in descriptions of Fe, and what you disagree with in descriptions of Fi? If you relate to it so much, I don't understand how it can be your inferior, but at the same time it does not seem to be your dom/aux, either- at least so far. We'll see.

Same as above, can you post excerpts of what you relate to in descriptions of Ti, and what you disagree with / don't relate to in descriptions of Te? Analyzing one's environment is a generally Reflecting method of interacting with the environment, correlated with Introversion, and most prominent in I--P. How you speak of Te here sounds like how one would describe their inferior function. We might have to first clarify the distinction between Fi and Fe, because the overlap in terms of focus of emotions or actions alone sometimes seem rather hazy. As an example, just read INFP vs INFJ descrptions, they are hazy as hell, and many of their actions seem interchangeable "Is this person polite because it is the norm (stereotypically Fe), or because they think that it honors people's integrity and autonomy? (stereotypically Fi)" with both being people-oriented to begin with, it can be hard to tell Fi VS Fe apart as standalone functions, especially based off behaviour.

Hermit of the Forest

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You seem to have a notion that Fi is self centered or selfish. I think this is not true at all!

That is not at all what I meant to communicate. The INFP I’ve had the privilege to observe closest had a very rich inner life (or world) of emotion and imagination that just doesn’t exist within me. My imagination and emotion are more outwardly sparked, were as his world existed much more inwardly and independently (not selfish). I’m not saying Fi users aren’t loving to people — they’re very loving. But they also have this cool little inner world that I don’t have so much, so my emotions play elsewhere. Not better or worse just different. And they seem know their feelings very intimately, which comes from long study. Much longer than I would have patience for. Nothing wrong with that.

It's the same reason why I did not relate to INFP, personally. The combination of I,N,F,P makes it seem like the most intuitive, the ultimate romantic, dreamer, lyricist, poet, etc. None of that fit me. They are described as being idealists, deep humanists, extremely vivid imaginations, excellent writers, etc. If you find yourself not relating to these parts you might want to look into ISFP too. I think everyone is just assuming N because you type as INTP. But it’s worth considering.

Although that above quote does sound somewhat detached.

Lol that is how INFPs are depicted. :yes: I’ve looked into ISFP and Se-Ni really doesn’t fit.

I’m afraid I didn’t relate much to any of these profiles. Sorry.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
That is not at all what I meant to communicate. The INFP I’ve had the privilege to observe closest had a very rich inner life (or world) of emotion and imagination that just doesn’t exist within me. My imagination and emotion are more outwardly sparked, were as his world existed much more inwardly and independently (not selfish). I’m not saying Fi users aren’t loving to people — they’re very loving. But they also have this cool little inner world that I don’t have so much, so my emotions play elsewhere. Not better or worse just different. And they seem know their feelings very intimately, which comes from long study. Much longer than I would have patience for. Nothing wrong with that.

Lol that is how INFPs are depicted. :yes: I’ve looked into ISFP and Se-Ni really doesn’t fit.

I’m afraid I didn’t relate much to any of these profiles. Sorry.
Ok, I get where you're coming from now. It does make sense then.

For me, I had finally decided I was a feeling type years ago, after A LOT of contemplation, realized the NF profiles did not fit, then gradually narrowed it down to either ISFJ or ISFP. First time I took the 16 types test I got ISTJ, but I typed as ISTP in the very beginning because I didn't like it (lol). I remember also thinking I was INTP or INTJ but it was really brief. Part of the reason I struggled was because of socialization though, and also the T answers sounded smarter.

I think you could be one of the two. Idk. It is important that you relate to the type though.
Do any of these ring a bell for you? They are official descriptions.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
People and relationships fascinate me. Emotion is very interesting too. Some emotions can seem silly or bad, some even dangerous (I don’t like those), but they are very human. I want to understand humanity. I want to be human. I’m so tired of cold, from others... from myself. I just want to be warm, so I’ve very purposefully made myself a warm and fuzzy persona.

:)

I knew there was something about you that I liked and identified with.

My first blog (now gone) here on the nascent forum was titled, "An NT in NF Clothing" where I explored what you describe, and even worked on developing this side of me more. Up to that point, it was like there were two internal personality types at war inside of me, and I think that was one major contributing factor to chronic depression (self-diagnosed). Before I took the MBTI or even a short unofficial version of it, I read through the types which I identified with somewhat. At the time, I was more introverted, and when I read the INFP description, I was sure that was me. But the next one was the INTP description! And that one seemed to fit a little better. ENXP types were not a consideration at the time because of the depression. Somewhat of a tangent, but my mother was INFP. One of the things I loved most about her was her depth, including her depth of feeling. I perceive things like poetry, literature, and intense feeling-oriented music as a vacation from the cold realities of external life and the constructs in my own mind.

I think I've now integrated NF and NT into my personality about as much as I can, yet I still find ways every month or two to do more. The impact of doing that, both in a feeling and thinking sense, is like getting my first pair of glasses at the age of 16. I could not see what I was not seeing, but suddenly... :)