• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The Male NT

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So is that all you do over on the east coast?

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
One thing I've wondered is if NT men sometimes masquerade as ST men as a way of fitting in? Especially during the "fit in or be singled out" years of high school?

I alternatingly tried to masquerade as either ESTJ or ESTP throughout my high school years and early 20s ... with rather limited success.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Now you've finally said it: SP gut logic. Historically, I have observed that different personalities create intelligence in their own image. For the sensing cleaning lady, you can expound on Tolstoy's War and Peace, and she may hear you out (likely zones out) but assigns no value to your analysis in terms of intelligence. But if you can figure out how to rearrange the dishes in the dishwasher so as to fit more in, well then you're a genius.

There have been many occasions in my life where I have been recognized or rewarded for doing something trivial or mundane. Usually some rote, repetitive crap that is absolutely mind numbing. Conversely, some of (what I feel) were my most brilliant moments usually go completely unrecognized. Apparently, most of the world does not crave what makes me tick.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
So is that all you do over on the east coast?

Hardly! We also have beer, and internets. Often these go togeather!

Except I don't drink.

So I just has internets.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The biggest problem is figuring out when you have to be on, and when you just have to shut the Ne off. I think that's why ENTPs seem more introverted than most Es - often, the only time we can extravert in our natural way is by ourselves. Sometimes, I don't want to have to convince another person to go along with my impulses, though I would prefer having them there - I'll get plenty out of doing it myself.

I think this is also a big source of struggle, that is, that you never seem as naturally energized as other types, due to the need to constantly suppress that impulsive nature in social contexts. It's also hard to not be able to seize upon every interesting thing that arises, and just go along with the pack.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hardly! We also have beer, and internets. Often these go togeather!

Except I don't drink.

So I just has internets.

JUST internets? I'd feel bad if that's the case.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
JUST internets? I'd feel bad if that's the case.

I don't. Via alcohol, yeu just THINK it's 19 inches. Via internet, it IS 19 inches ^.~

At least within the confines of it's restrictive 'reality' of sorts, but I'ves a good imagination :devil:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't. Via alcohol, yeu just THINK it's 19 inches. Via internet, it IS 19 inches ^.~

At least within the confines of it's restrictive 'reality' of sorts, but I'ves a good imagination :devil:

I guess as long as that sustains you... ^_^

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
There have been many occasions in my life where I have been recognized or rewarded for doing something trivial or mundane. Usually some rote, repetitive crap that is absolutely mind numbing. Conversely, some of (what I feel) were my most brilliant moments usually go completely unrecognized. Apparently, most of the world does not crave what makes me tick.
The number of times I've gotten a pat on the head for solving some problem without even realising that it was a problem or that my solution was anything but off the cuff.

Of course there's far more numerous times when I've spent ages thinking about a solution and come up with something that's, to my mind, perfectly comprehensive only to be told that it's too complex.

Damned non NTs! :steam:

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Of course there's far more numerous times when I've spent ages thinking about a solution and come up with something that's, to my mind, perfectly comprehensive only to be told that it's too complex.

Damned non NTs! :steam:

I hear you. I've found some solace in softare engineering, where I can craft my complex soultions without the need for others to understand them ... as long as the damned thing runs, that's all they care about. Still, it would be nice for somebody to appreciate the inner workings and exchange ideas with them. I have run into a rare few individuals like that, and usually learned a lot from them ... but they have been few and far between.

mibnelius

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Being an NT male usually feels socially limiting more than anything else. Personally, I find that I have a distaste for large gatherings, but only when I can't blend in. Socialization fails as a result of the perennial mistake of speaking my mind. For some reason, people don't want to talk about anything even remotely important, but instead enjoy endless drivel on irrelevant crap.

Lacking the motivation to elaborate on anything right now, I'll say that I enjoy near-celebrity status for my ability to be oblivious to most social interaction, despite apparently being highly regarded as a prospective partner... along with recalling oodles of facts for people stumped on homework problems. These goals end up being mutually exclusive as those of the opposite sex end up intimidated by your intelligence until you decide to let your hair down and act like a cretin for a night (an activity that I find thoroughly deplorable, but occasionally become necessary).

Bottom line: In the end, it's fine because I know I can outperform nearly everybody else at most activities. However, I lack the motivation to do so; settling for second with half the work needed otherwise is sufficient.

Sorry if that wasn't coherent.. I'm about to pass out.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I hear you. I've found some solace in softare engineering, where I can craft my complex soultions without the need for others to understand them ... as long as the damned thing runs, that's all they care about. Still, it would be nice for somebody to appreciate the inner workings and exchange ideas with them. I have run into a rare few individuals like that, and usually learned a lot from them ... but they have been few and far between.
Aye carumba!! After having done a database for work which now runs the company I can definitely sympathise. No one seems to do access anymore. I had to learn from scratch, from books and even now I'm still getting it in the neck if it ever malfunctions!!

We need a new site. Forget facebook... what about programmers book?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
To be perfectly honest...I don't think I've had it rough. At all. In every situation I find important [and many of those I did not], I think I have better tools for the job and the advantage is in my favor because of who I am. My social difficulties, I think, don't prevent me from getting things I want, and really only cause me stress when I force myself in to those situations. Middle school was fine. Had my group of friends, was loved by teachers, didn't take anything seriously. High School was a cakewalk, aside from a bit of difficulty adjusting freshman semester. College is/was great.

Unfortunately, this has led to a slightly overinflated sense of self, despite that I always think I could be doing better with my life.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
To be perfectly honest...I don't think I've had it rough. At all.

I can totally see that. Knowing you, Jock, I can say you are pretty much one of the only *two* socially well adjusted INTPs I've ever known in real life.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I can totally see that. Knowing you, Jock, I can say you are pretty much one of the only *two* socially well adjusted INTPs I've ever known in real life.

I told my sister that and she laughed at me! :dry: