• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is it OK to be angry at God?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
first off you have to define what you mean by 'God'? There've been thousands and thousands of gods in human history. At the moment there's quite a few gods/main religions with different view points.

If you've refering to Abrahamic 'god' and assume it exists, (no evidence of such a thing) then I don't see how you could NOT be angry at that god.
The guy is a jackass. It's in the bible/quran etc.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yes. He can handle your anger.
actually that's just you projecting. It's pretty clear the Abrahamic god is an angry / jealous god that will damn you to hell for it.

LonestarCowgirl

first off you have to define what you mean by 'God'?
No, not necessary. :dont:

There've been thousands and thousands of gods in human history. At the moment there's quite a few gods/main religions with different view points.

If you've refering to Abrahamic 'god' and assume it exists, (no evidence of such a thing) then I don't see how you could NOT be angry at that god.
The guy is a jackass. It's in the bible/quran etc.

Context, ENTP, context. All signs point to one God...

[...]I came upon Dennis Prager interviewing Rabbi Harold Kushner, author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People, among other books.

[...]Moses tells the Israelites in Deuteronomy 6:5:[...]

He therefore said Moses was able to love God with all his heart because he was able to trust that his relationship with God was strong enough that anger wouldn't destroy it. If he held back his anger, he couldn't love God with all his heart, even the angry parts.

I would prefer believers respond....

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No, not necessary. :dont:

Context, ENTP, context. All signs point to one God...

Is that a joke?
Anyway this is getting out-of-topic. so I'll retire from the thread or at least this specific sub-topic.
If you want to debate It would be my pleasure to ridicule you.

cheers.

LonestarCowgirl

actually that's just you projecting. It's pretty clear the Abrahamic god is an angry / jealous god that will damn you o hell for it.
What PeaceBaby said is valid and supported by Bible scripture. Would you be interested in hearing the scripture? Or can you even hear me over the sound of how awesome you are?

Looking at the facts in the Bible (in its entirety), I don't see how you can say [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] is projecting, as [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]'s comments are fact-based; meaning, supported by scripture. Do you understand that? If not, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Is that a joke?
Anyway this is getting out-of-topic. so I'll retire from the thread or at least this specific sub-topic.
If you want to debate It would be my pleasure to ridicule you.

cheers.
Fellow ENTP, I understand you very well. I've got you cornered, so golly, look at the time, you've gotta run. No problem. :newwink:

Please, stay awhile and relax.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Whatever spawned this universe is vile.

Unless the destiny we achieve trumps the sorrows behind us...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You watch to much alien movies where the alien sees nothing but bloodshed and killing. Remove your blinders and see it all.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
I have a huge problem with anger, especially the anger of others, but also my own, being a e9. As I was flipping radio stations today, I came upon Dennis Prager interviewing Rabbi Harold Kushner, author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People, among other books.

Prager raised the issue of anger at God and Kushner dealt with it in an interesting way. Kushner cited Deuteronomy, where Moses complains he can't go across the Jordan. After this, Moses tells the Israelites in Deuteronomy 6:5:

He therefore said Moses was able to love God with all his heart because he was able to trust that his relationship with God was strong enough that anger wouldn't destroy it. If he held back his anger, he couldn't love God with all his heart, even the angry parts.

I grew up with the idea we need to humbly submit to the trials of life, though I can't remember if I was taught that or came up with that on my own.

Anyway, this year I have yelled at God at various times, which is pretty fair given the challenges I have in my life.

So, any thoughts on this? Do we need to let loose the anger we might have towards God in order to fully love him with all our heart?

I would prefer believers respond....

Stoics say fuck you to fate.

LonestarCowgirl

God is making all things new. In heaven, God, himself, will wipe away every tear. There will no longer be any death, sorrow, mourning, crying, or pain, for the former things will disappear. (Revelation 21:4)

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
God is making all things new. In heaven, God, himself, will wipe away every tear. There will no longer be any death, sorrow, mourning, crying, or pain, for the former things will disappear. (Revelation 21:4)

I'm very into snippets of wisdom, like fortunes from a cookie or verses from the Dhammapada.

But what you've shared is like defining a word with the word sought to be defined. It is a thought-terminating cliche. There is no strand beyond what is presented, it is shown simply to ease as aspirin may conceal a tender joint.

So I return to my world, where vultures get their heads stuck in dead pig's asses, where bacteria consume the flesh of the living, where men shoot their wives in a fit from night terrors.

P.S. Fellow Texan. Howdy.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What PeaceBaby said is valid and supported by Bible scripture. Would you be interested in hearing the scripture? Or can you even hear me over the sound of how awesome you are?

Looking at the facts in the Bible (in its entirety), I don't see how you can say [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] is projecting, as [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]'s comments are fact-based; meaning, supported by scripture. Do you understand that? If not, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Fellow ENTP, I understand you very well. I've got you cornered, so golly, look at the time, you've gotta run. No problem. :newwink:

Please, stay awhile and relax.

All your claims can be countered by quoting the lord of the rings. Or any other work of fiction.

The logical fallacies underlying this are too numerous so it's easier to go at the root and mention the deep epistemiological flaw of your a priori statements. Which included the ad hominem, by the way.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah it's ok it's just human nature.. But I eventually realize it was all for good, and then I just think of it as a challenge that I should surmount..

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It might feel good to get it out there, but anger is a monster and it grows when you exercise it.

LonestarCowgirl

P.S. Fellow Texan. Howdy.

Howdy! :happy:

All your claims can be countered by quoting the lord of the rings. Or any other work of fiction.

The logical fallacies underlying this are too numerous so it's easier to go at the root and mention the deep epistemiological flaw of your a priori statements. Which included the ad hominem, by the way.
You're acting like a bully. This is a Christian thread. Christianity is faith-based. You're a smart guy and I'm confident you understand this is a Christian thread and Christianity is faith-based.

I'm also confident you're aware this thread is not about proving 'claims' by any other means than the Bible, since again, this is a Christian thread ("Is it okay to be angry with God?"... see original post).

Jesus is beautiful and wonderful to me. Please be more considerate and respectful to me, [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION], and the rest of the Christians here. Thank you. :heart:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Howdy! :happy:

You're acting like a bully. This is a Christian thread. Christianity is faith-based. You're a smart guy and I'm confident you understand this is a Christian thread and Christianity is faith-based.

I'm also confident you're aware this thread is not about proving 'claims' by any other means than the Bible, since again, this is a Christian thread ("Is it okay to be angry with God?"... see original post).

Jesus is beautiful and wonderful to me. Please be more considerate and respectful to me, [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION], and the rest of the Christians here. Thank you. :heart:
Of course. It's bullying to make you accountable for your statement. Classic double-standards.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION], this thread was for believers... your posts have been unwelcome and off topic.

If you want to make a thread for your fellow atheists to discuss their relationship with a God that don't believe in, you are more than welcome to do so.

Your continued posts on this thread are very unwelcome.