• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Left vs Right political test based on lifestyle choices

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This typology kind of like MBTI with only two choices. :dry:

This reminds me. I've thought many times about the lack of anything equivalent to the Big 5 in political typologies. At least to my knowledge. In some sense they are all basically like the MBTI. I'd like to one like the Big 5.

You want a tank right? I totally see where you are coming from, I would want one too, or, oh, oh, wait, a star ship?! Who wouldnt want one of those?!

Totally the Millenium Falcon, right? I know I'm right.

I want a better test.

Lark

This reminds me. I've thought many times about the lack of anything equivalent to the Big 5 in political typologies. At least to my knowledge. In some sense they are all basically like the MBTI. I'd like to one like the Big 5.

I want a better test.

Ah, I see, more of an AT-AT or Imperial Walker type, eh? :hug:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Genuinely In The Middle"

50/50

funny.

Gone

political-left-right

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think questions like these are an indication of left-right dichotomies so much as they are of establishment vs anti-establishment, or possible lower class vs upper class. Particularly in the case of questions about arugala and country v classical

Lark

I don't think questions like these are an indication of left-right dichotomies so much as they are of establishment vs anti-establishment, or possible lower class vs upper class. Particularly in the case of questions about arugala and country v classical

If you look at the dividing issues in the picture it generates its a sort of ideological divide existing without accounting for differences like class and status, you're right in that respect, absolutely right, but for a long time I've thought US politics in particular is like that, it tries to navigate the different questions in an abstract without reference or accounting for those things. Instead there's a strange sort of "go team", "my beliefs" idea.

A bit like choosing a beverage but limiting it to soft drinks, further limiting it to pepsi or coca cola, there's a bigger picture unexamined, which cant really be examined.

The establishment vs anti-establishment thing is an interesting one because its changed a lot, there's much more in the way of anti-establishment, or at least alternative, thinking which is not what it was conventionally, if that makes sense, there was such a thing as a conventional alternative, then a new alternative.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you look at the dividing issues in the picture it generates its a sort of ideological divide existing without accounting for differences like class and status, you're right in that respect, absolutely right, but for a long time I've thought US politics in particular is like that, it tries to navigate the different questions in an abstract without reference or accounting for those things. Instead there's a strange sort of "go team", "my beliefs" idea.

A bit like choosing a beverage but limiting it to soft drinks, further limiting it to pepsi or coca cola, there's a bigger picture unexamined, which cant really be examined.

The establishment vs anti-establishment thing is an interesting one because its changed a lot, there's much more in the way of anti-establishment, or at least alternative, thinking which is not what it was conventionally, if that makes sense, there was such a thing as a conventional alternative, then a new alternative.

It's funny you mention drinks, it made me think of the stereotype of starbucks as a drink of left wing liberals, which is funny, because it's really an outdated stereotype as well. I can't think of anything more characteristic of pro-catpitalism, pro-establishment than starbucks coffee. Maybe McDonalds? There's starbucks littered across the USA, they're inside of target box stores, they have fast food style drive-thrus in smaller towns, etc. It's probably drank by just as many conservative types as liberals, maybe more these days, but I don't know. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I just thought it was funny how that whole stereotype persisted for so long. It's mediocre, overpriced coffee :laugh: However, I suppose it might fall under what you call conventional alternative.

So I don't know, the country/classical distinction threw me, but I could see how classical is the conventional alternative now, and maybe country used to be a conventional thing but has flipped, I don't know.

this stuff changes and evolves so rapidly, it's hard to keep a finger on the pulse of what exactly is conventional or "establishment" anymore these days.

I read an interesting book several years back called NoBrow, or maybe I'm confusing that with a more recent essay by a different author but they made the argument that all of our cultural goods, be it art (music, film, etc) or physical commodities are to varying extents part of the same thing, even though we fool ourselves into believing certain things are alternative or "indie" or anti-establishment. It reminds me of Naomi Klein's No Logo talking about how the importance of the brand has somewhat superceded the importance of the actual objects we buy.

I guess Che Guevara being turned into a fashion statement says it all. I don't know, just a rant, I don't really know the point I'm trying to make. I don't disagree with you.

Lark

It's funny you mention drinks, it made me think of the stereotype of starbucks as a drink of left wing liberals, which is funny, because it's really an outdated stereotype as well. I can't think of anything more characteristic of pro-catpitalism, pro-establishment than starbucks coffee. Maybe McDonalds? There's starbucks littered across the USA, they're inside of target box stores, they have fast food style drive-thrus in smaller towns, etc. It's probably drank by just as many conservative types as liberals, maybe more these days, but I don't know. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I just thought it was funny how that whole stereotype persisted for so long. It's mediocre, overpriced coffee :laugh: However, I suppose it might fall under what you call conventional alternative.

So I don't know, the country/classical distinction threw me, but I could see how classical is the conventional alternative now, and maybe country used to be a conventional thing but has flipped, I don't know.

this stuff changes and evolves so rapidly, it's hard to keep a finger on the pulse of what exactly is conventional or "establishment" anymore these days.

I read an interesting book several years back called NoBrow, or maybe I'm confusing that with a more recent essay by a different author but they made the argument that all of our cultural goods, be it art (music, film, etc) or physical commodities are to varying extents part of the same thing, even though we fool ourselves into believing certain things are alternative or "indie" or anti-establishment. It reminds me of Naomi Klein's No Logo talking about how the importance of the brand has somewhat superceded the importance of the actual objects we buy.

I guess Che Guevara being turned into a fashion statement says it all. I don't know, just a rant, I don't really know the point I'm trying to make. I don't disagree with you.

There's a book called Rebel Sell which is a good read on some of the things you mentioned here.

I'm definitely not getting all my notifications you know, didnt see this one at all. :shock::shock:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a book called Rebel Sell which is a good read on some of the things you mentioned here.

I'm definitely not getting all my notifications you know, didnt see this one at all. :shock::shock:

The forum is broken, I don’t always get notifications either. [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] is drunk or something:D

Lark

The forum is broken, I don’t always get notifications either. [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] is drunk or something:D

Its part of a secret bene gessarit project to create the highlander hadarak.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

This, i think, is the biggest source of my frustration for politics. You can't even have a conversation about the things that can't be examined, because there's no political vocabulary for it, and people just get confused because theycan't figure out what category you're in.

Lark

This, i think, is the biggest source of my frustration for politics. You can't even have a conversation about the things that can't be examined, because there's no political vocabulary for it, and people just get confused because theycan't figure out what category you're in.

Most of the time its just about trying to "place" you was "friend" or "foe", Disco would suggest that that's just "tribalism" and that's just how it is and its a good thing, mind you I'm not sure that the Disco of the day and hour that I joined this forum would recognise or agree with that Disco, so I think there's that.

I personally hate that sort of thinking, I like to read widely and as a consequence will read what any political faction has to say, I find some value in most of them and those that I dont still inform my thinking because I am usually motivated to examine just how the hell something so off the mark could arise in the first place, anyway, the thing about reading in this way is that its convinced me that there's good and bad in all schools of thought, so much so that when I hear someone nail their colours to the mast as a whatever they choose, I just think, how the hell can a smart person decide to do that? Its got to be as obvious to them, being a smart person, as I that while they've got an appeal ideology no one in good conscience could think its flawless.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
65 Left
35 Right

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type