• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people tend to grow into more healthy versions of their types as they age?

punkermit

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Something I have been pondering lately. As we age and mature and gain life experiences, do we generally learn to become more healthy versions of our types? Do the elderly people in our lives tend to be more well rounded personality wise?

What do you think?

rav3n

Not sure you can generalize like that since age =/= wisdom.

One biological factor to consider is that as people age, regardless of gender, there's reduction to testosterone and estrogen levels. Absent mental health conditions, as people age, they'll become more mellowed versions of themselves because of sex hormone reduction. That said, mellow isn't always good, in that you often find the elderly too fearful and set in their ways. On the other hand, they trend towards having more patience except during the hormonal fluctuation phase of menopause and andropause.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Depends on the person.

I known many ENTJ who are too in love with their own stereotype to grow into anything. Instead they stagnate and become the most immature old people you've ever met.

And the above saying that age =/= is absolutely true.

It's another stereotype and the combination of the two is...groan worthy. I knew an old ENTJ lady once. Most things she said made me think " My god grow up already." I only found out she wasn't in her early 20's after an argument that "Well I'm sixty so everything that you've been through wouldn't even phase me. ( seriously what "Wise" person says shit like that?)
Like many other ENTJ women she would brag about "Bulldozing", thought everything was a competition and tried to shutdown all opposing opinions/statements with "Your being emotional!" ( that's the equivalent of calling someone racist in the ENTJ community) The act was as transparent as glass; insecurity. A lot of ENTJ women have some serious insecurity issues. As ENTJ is considered one of the most masculine type they feel like they have to compete the for "Most like the guys." title. I got over that shit in my early teens.

Overall, I find this is the greatest way in which MBTI can be detrimental. If people are fond the description they will do their best to be the most "that type." They will never be a genuine person and never, ever grow or change out of it, and that is how we get 60 going on 20-somethings.

Age has nothing to do with health. It is all about current and past life experience. My Father for example; when I was a kid he had a stable job and was well, a father. In his sixties he is...well, I think even other teenage stoners would tell him to get his shit together. He spent all of his retirement on pot and turning our old family home into his garage band studio-his band mates are gone now that the money and free-loading is no longer an option. He's a lonely old drug addict still chasing trashy big-haired tail and who still spews the " I'm, not gonna go along to get along" 70's rebel nonsense as is going to die alone. As for his type? I dunno...FFFP?

I myself was an INTJ in school because of my circumstances. As soon as things got better I become my confident and oh so charming ENTJ self...confident enough that I do not feel the need to "Bulldoze" or brag about being "Bossy."

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You're supposed to but some people are natural rebels.

rav3n

You're supposed to but some people are natural rebels.
Honest question. Why do you consider not falling in lockstep, an element of unhealthiness? Bear in mind that this question comes from combining the contents of the opening post with your response.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Honest question. Why do you consider not falling in lockstep, an element of unhealthiness? Bear in mind that this question comes from combining the contents of the opening post with your response.

I don't understand this question.

Being a rebel and being immature/dumb are not the same things, though some people may wrongly throw them in the same group.

Rebels in that they don't do what they're supposed to, as in get healthier with age. It was a joke.

rav3n

I don't understand this question.

Rebels in that they don't do what they're supposed to, as in get healthier with age. It was a joke.
I went to genuinely respond to you to explain the connection, then read your response to Amberiat which explained the connection.

Jaguar

A rebel is someone who doesn't do what they're supposed to. What the hell country am I in?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As you gain experiences and get to know yourself and shape the world around you, you become a version of yourself that is more "mature". However, wether or not the mature version of yourself is a more balanced personality cognative function wise or a very cognative extreme is entirely up to you.

Although maturity tends to imply wisdom and balance from the average perspective, it doesn't have anything to do with it. Who says becoming more balanced and well rounded is the best course of action? Other peoples judgements are of course not without meaning but ultimately it is up to your own judgement what is best for you.

So to answer OP. Define "healthy" personality.

Personally, I don't like the idea of fading away by means of cognative ignorance.

rav3n

For myself, curiosity drives my personality. I NEED to know whether the information is relevant or can be used or not. It's simply a thirst for knowledge. But most people whether my age or not, don't feel the same way, happily settled into their little niches. I'd honestly prefer to die than stagnate like that.

Amberiat

Infinity
For myself, curiosity drives my personality. I NEED to know whether the information is relevant or can be used or not. It's simply a thirst for knowledge. But most people whether my age or not, don't feel the same way, happily settled into their little niches. I'd honestly prefer to die than stagnate like that.

This.

It is beyond me how people can settle for ignorance, regardless of age.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something I have been pondering lately. As we age and mature and gain life experiences, do we generally learn to become more healthy versions of our types? Do the elderly people in our lives tend to be more well rounded personality wise?

What do you think?

I have seen both people who do, people who don't, and people who are in the middle. The most obvious ones that stand out to me of those who don't progress are the ones that seem to become exaggerated versions of their former selves. It's kind of a sad thing to see but it doesn't seem uncommon.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Sounds a lot like my friends. I do think they are some of teh best friends I've had but they very much suffer from this lack of relevant information. They have made numerous hours long interruptions in the middle of our table top game to bicker over the insignificant nonsense, and they think that it makes makes them intellectuals; ( and that I must be stupid for not participating) always bragging about being "genius" when I think a more intelligent person would understand the time and brain power they are wasting. I think this is an unhealthy NT thing. They are so convinced that gathering knowledge makes them intelligent but have zero ability to discern or apply any of it.

rav3n

Sounds a lot like my friends. I do think they are some of teh best friends I've had but they very much suffer from this lack of relevant information. They have made numerous hours long interruptions in the middle of our table top game to bicker over the insignificant nonsense, and they think that it makes makes them intellectuals; ( and that I must be stupid for not participating) always bragging about being "genius" when I think a more intelligent person would understand the time and brain power they are wasting. I think this is an unhealthy NT thing. They are so convinced that gathering knowledge makes them intelligent but have zero ability to discern or apply any of it.
When it comes to knowledge and education, it can never be enough. Sounds I share your friends' values, rather than yours.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
When it comes to knowledge and education, it can never be enough. Sounds I share your friends' values, rather than yours.

No, I think you misunderstood.
I agree that there is no such thing as too much education. But when it's used only to argue about stupid things that don't matter; how a GPS in a fictional game work. Cats v dogs, something something "Muggles." FF lore and...some truly useless things I can't recall, but can't read the word Quinoa, understand basic chemical reactions or train a dog then their knowledge is a waste.

I guess I would say they have no values, rather their knowledge has zero value.

rav3n

No, I think you misunderstood.
I agree that there is no such thing as too much education. But when it's used only to argue about stupid things that don't matter; how a GPS in a fictional game work. Cats v dogs, something something "Muggles." FF lore and...some truly useless things I can't recall, but can't read the word Quinoa, understand basic chemical reactions or train a dog then their knowledge is a waste.

I guess I would say they have no values, rather their knowledge has zero value.
Your friends sound like geeks, people who fixate and obsess about the minutia of esoteric information. My husband has a geek side to him but he's primarily a nerd, lol.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Your friends sound like geeks, people who fixate and obsess about the minutia of esoteric information. My husband has a geek side to him but he's primarily a nerd, lol.

Yes, they really, really are.

My husband is also a nerd but he is much more grounded than most.