• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] 4 Dichotomies, with Functions but no stacks?

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That and the text are fine for my attention span, thanks :)

I've come across Beebe's model before, but not sure how it links with MBTI. I am trying to establish what functions or orders are certainly known, or certainly inferred, and what is mere theory.

Eg. - Have the ideas of parent, child etc been shown to be prominent in a parent and a child? If so, MBTI type changes with age -?
- Has it been shown that the "opposing personality" appears under stress, or is it just theory? If so, MBTI type changes with stress -?
- etc.

It is interesting, but looks like another theory of many. We are awash with theories, each of which could be studied over decades to find out the truth of them.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How it links with MBTI? It's a model of how each function-attitude plays out for each type (i.e. all eight function-attitudes and not just the first four or the two preferred functions).

Parent and child are archetypes. It has nothing to do with the actual roles of a parent and child, beyond the archetypes being ingrained on the collective unconsciousness by the natural roles. But you can never be a parent, and yet you will still have a "Parent" complex. It's basically the part of us that "care-takes" others.

And it's not the type changing with stress either; it's a specific archetypal complex erupting under stress. The Opposing Personality is associated with the dominant function in the opposite attitude, which would be the dominant function of the type with opposite E/I and J/P. You don't "become" that type; for that's associated with the dominant or "Hero" complex of that type, and the "Warrior" or "Amazon" complex of your type. Different complexes for different types, which is what makes them type-specific.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eric, I love the symmetry of this whole model you've created. However, I don't agree with Beebe's idea that the opposite of the dominant (e.g. Ti/Fi) plays a "demonic" role. Anecdotally speaking, I generally have an easier time with Fi than I do with Te or Se.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Beebe's model doesn't necessarily mean Fi will always be "demonic". It's just that when that particular complex (that what's being called "Demonic") is activated, it will tend to filter out Fi data.

Otherwise, there's also Lenore's theory, which says Fi would be the "right brain alternative". So this is what might come up as a first defense when the dominant can't solve a problem (at least, until the tertiary becomes more conscious). Se is supposed to be a right-brain alternative as well, but perhaps since the dominant is Ji, then the opposite Fi will figure more. (For me, Fi always came out strong on the process tests, while Se was the next-to-last).