• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Facets of the Four Dichotomies

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI® Step II: The 40 Facets of the 16 Types | Personality Playbook

Sometimes I am considered a Sensor and not an iNtuitive, but this is simply because one of the facets I developed as a child - a facet that I gleaned from watching and emulating my older brother - is a Sensing facet.

The 5 facets of Sensing are:

1. Concrete
2. Realistic
3. Practical
4. Experiential
5. Traditional

1. Concrete versus Abstract.

I am a very abstract person, but I continue to remain mindful of the concretes. I'm not one to float above the 'madding crowd.' Abstract thinking can be seriously detrimental to actually living when it becomes over-used. But I've sometimes imagined that if I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, and didn't have to worry about the nagging concerns of reality, I would have my own den (not a "man cave" as with the common lot of humanity), an armchair, and a fireplace next to which I would engage in flights of fancy all day long and consider them 'deep' rather than what they are: unrealistic and most likely inapplicable to reality.

In other words, I don't have the wherewithal to be completely abstract, completely disengaged from concrete reality. If I had tried it, I would most likely have ended up in a mental institution or living on the streets, because the objective needs of reality vs. the subjective need to be abstract would have torn me apart mentally.

2. Realistic versus Imaginative.

From a young age I was realistic enough to know that I wasn't realistic enough to do various things that traditional society requires of young men, such as getting married and raising a family. So I didn't even try.

3. Practical versus Conceptual.

The page above boils this dichotomy down to being risk-averse versus being risk-taking, "slow and steady wins the race" versus "taking a leap into the unknown." I can be a little of both. But the page also boils it down to "tool-using" versus someone whose mind exists on the meta-level of reality - for example, those who spend their lives dividing humanity into "practical versus conceptual." I'm definitely not practical. I've often had trouble deciding what tool to use, and when and how to use it assuming I found the right tool. I've often worried that I don't have the tools, or not the right tools. Practicality is a major issue for me.

4. Experiential versus Theoretical.

Most occupations we have in our lives use methods that have been established for years, decades, or even centuries. Those occupations are greatly appreciated by the Experiential facet of Sensing types.

But it is a big issue for me. I can't do a job without questioning the method behind it. I want to question why it is done this way. I want to engage in innovation.

5. Traditional versus Original.

Or "normal versus special snowflake." I'm no special snowflake, but I do have a feeling that I should be excepted from everyday norms.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see.

This forum is a complete disaster. But I knew that from the very beginning so it's my fault that I'm still here.

Jaguar

I see.

This forum is a complete disaster. But I knew that from the very beginning so it's my fault that I'm still here.

The forum is a disaster because people don't give you immediate attention? That's rich.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^This forum is so beta...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lighten up Francis....

It is an interesting topic. I very much notice many E, S, T, and P traits in me, even as an INFJ.

Of course, given that I was a stunted INFJ who rejected natural preferences, especially my Je, it makes sense that I am a bit mixed up.

Or something else, I don't know. Definitely something to look at more closely.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dont you think you "pass" as a sensor because you have Si as 3rd function ( which was more developed by your environmemt with your brother etc) rather than the cause being directly your env. with your brother etc?
If cognitive functions are to make sense as a theory, they should be able to explain any case without the need to go elsewhere for logic.

Secondly, this thread would be more interesting if you had general description of those 5ways of being a sensor, or a test we could take, instead of it being about "me-me-me"

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lighten up Francis....

Well look, I'm very physically and chronically sick, and I don't deserve the shitty treatment I receive on this horrific joke of a stupid forum.

It is an interesting topic. I very much notice many E, S, T, and P traits in me, even as an INFJ.

Of course, given that I was a stunted INFJ who rejected natural preferences, especially my Je, it makes sense that I am a bit mixed up.

Or something else, I don't know. Definitely something to look at more closely.

I stopped caring after the first amazing line of your post.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well look, I'm very physically and chronically sick, and I don't deserve the shitty treatment I receive on this horrific joke of a stupid forum.

I stopped caring after the first amazing line of your post.

...IMO you failed to realise OP was replying to you with good intentions. I was too.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Secondly, this thread would be more interesting if you had general description of those 5ways of being a sensor
The link in the OP contains exactly that.