• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has any other person mistyped as a completey different type because of functions?

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everyone types me as Se, and on and off I have gone from believing it, to saying screw it. Now I think I have an explanation for it. My Ti has continually made me misidentify as NFP. The intuitive, questioning, abstract, and inventive nature of Ti duped me into believing I was Ne-Dom and the F came from my morals, my upbringing, and my refusal to identify as ENTP because I get easily bored by debate. Ti can often make someone seem intuitive to him/herself because of how it questions systems and invents its own logical ideas and concepts, but the person is an obvious sensing type to everyone else due to Se being shown outwardly. I've always related to the ESTP describsion itself, but never the explanation of the dichotomies, so I mistype continually as ENFP, especially since that's what I always test as. Because of this, I have decided to make a thread for people to discuss theor past identificatios and possibly help others understand themselves in the process. Whatever insights you have people, this thread is open to them.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Recovering mistyped ISTP/INFJ on the scene.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I first tested as INTP, but I didn't fit in mentally with them. After further analysis I settled on ISTP as it fits much better. I still have some questions as to ESTP because it seems like i fit in better as an Introverted ESTP. Even compared to less social ESTPs I am still more introverted. Everyone I have asked said I fit perfect as an ISTP.

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well can probably offer as much help as I can. You may be an ambivert, and that's okay. The trick is figuring out what you do more/your dominant function. Sure I sometimes play brain games, question society, and develop concepts and ideas; but I am more often looking for thrills, sensation, and stimulation. If you are quite certain on being Se/Ti Ti/Se, try to figure out which one you use more. Another way to look at it is what you used first in your life. When I was 15-16, I never valued ideas, concepts, mysteries, or logic, I scoffed at Ti rants. I used to just be the kind of kid that just spent his happy moments at amusement parks or at walmart checking out girls. I didn't start developing my Ti the way I developed it until I started studying mbti, right after getting into a variety of mind challenging subjects like Art and science, which is when I started to learn the value of things that aren't tangible, and even start to develop set morals and a way to control my Se-ridden anger outbursts. It all depends on what you developed first.
I first tested as INTP, but I didn't fit in mentally with them. After further analysis I settled on ISTP as it fits much better. I still have some questions as to ESTP because it seems like i fit in better as an Introverted ESTP. Even compared to less social ESTPs I am still more introverted. Everyone I have asked said I fit perfect as an ISTP.

á´…eparted

passages
I thought I was INFJ for about 8 years :shrug:. Long ago I can see how I would mistake myself for an introvert. Now though the idea is ludicrous.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've taken some tests that typed me as ENTP, but I'm definitely not an extrovert. I definitely do not get my energy from being around people and I do need to fuck off from it all to recharge.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
<--- Has severe social anxieties. Mistyped as introverted for that reason.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Eh, I don't know. I think I've mistyped as SFP before I learned about Ne. I'm actually very short on Se. I think the reason I've doubted my N is because they were stereotyped to be pretentious philosophers who wanted to talk about nothing but theory and the meaning of life.

Also, I feel like functions can both complicate and simplify. My Ne and Fi are basically equal, or if one is dominant, at least it's too close to call. However, I feel like my Si is stronger than my Te, so that might make things simpler... :huh:

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you believe your dominant functions are equal, but you can tell that Te is inferior in you, that probably mesns you are I. I used to have trouble indentifying as Se becaue that would mean I have inferior intuition, which is weird due to the fact that I always had a great imagination, but the thing is, I imagine things that aren't true and see the bug picture only if something seems like a bad idea, and that indicates undoubted inferior intuition. I'd imagine an N-dom would basically see the big picture so naturally,that they basically just know what it is and see it in a flash instead of piecing it together like Se would. Idk though. I have yet to understand the functions to the point of them being useful to me.
Eh, I don't know. I think I've mistyped as SFP before I learned about Ne. I'm actually very short on Se. I think the reason I've doubted my N is because they were stereotyped to be pretentious philosophers who wanted to talk about nothing but theory and the meaning of life.

Also, I feel like functions can both complicate and simplify. My Ne and Fi are basically equal, or if one is dominant, at least it's too close to call. However, I feel like my Si is stronger than my Te, so that might make things simpler... :huh:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I know it's more in the realm of socionics, but what are your thoughts on subtypes (i.e. ESTp-Ti)? You're probably correct in your Myers Briggs typing, but the Socionics ESTp Ti subtype might look more like a classic MB ISTP. :shrug:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I know it's more in the realm of socionics, but what are your thoughts on subtypes (i.e. ESTp-Ti)? You're probably correct in your Myers Briggs typing, but the Socionics ESTp Ti subtype might look more like a classic MB ISTP. :shrug:

I like subtypes. Let me use an example. The EII (me). Would an EII-Ne (mb INFP) be more ambiverted and be closer to the mb ENFP than the EII-Fi, who would be a more introverted mb INFP?

Sunny Ghost

I amazingly tested as ISFP on the first go around. And I don't think any other type could ever possibly seem more fitting.

So are you still uncertain?

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Over the span of several years, and even before knowing what it all meant, my test results have always shown INFP. It fits better than anything else. My problem has been with determining my Enneagram type.

I have observed on this site that using functions to determine type seems to often make it trickier. I think maybe that is because we can all use all of the functions, and maybe at different times it will seem like one is more dominant when, overall, that may not really be the case. Also, I think it might be because your four main functions and how they are stacked will put a different spin on how each is used a little bit. I don't know though, I'm pretty new to this stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like subtypes. Let me use an example. The EII (me). Would an EII-Ne (mb INFP) be more ambiverted and be closer to the mb ENFP than the EII-Fi, who would be a more introverted mb INFP?

I would think yes.

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Homestly, I used to have trouble with the functions too. I have always shown ENFP on my tests when I first started out, but then when I started reading other type descriptions, I knew that ESTP fit me well too, so I used to consider myself a hybrid between the two. As I got into it more though and started asking others what they thought of my type, nearly every mbti geek, pyschologist, and close family member said I was a blatant Se-Dom. As I did further research though I foumd that my fitting the letters for ENFP could be explained, but relating to almost every ESTP character and description could not be explained. Basically if I was actually ENFP, other people's perceptions, my past, and other things would contradict it, however, I can easily fit into the ESTP description by using my Ti and my inferior Ni to explain the sudden bursts I have of what is called intuition. They teacg you later on that not everything can be explained through just the letters. The intuitive nature of the ISTP, the independence of the INTJ, the commitment displayed often by IFPs, none of which can be explained just by analyzing the 4 letters. Once you go deeper into the functions, it explains a lot more. I would never think that INFJ would be my opposite based just on the letters, but the functions definitely explain something. Also, I used to think ISTJ was my opposite because I didn't relate to them at all and I thought that the description sounded conforming and boring. Turns out, they are my opposite, it just doesn't show in the letters. Si is the polar opposite of Se. Same function, but used in a way detestable by the opposite user. I know this will sound crazy since you say you don't understand anything beyond the letters, but read the other type descriptions. After a while of studying the other types you will become somewhat familiar with the functions. Who would've known the inventive nature of Ti or the adrenaline rush seeking nature of Se without studying beyond the letters. What I can say to help you though is that Ne is a function that always looks for new ideas to stimulate the mind, this does not necessarily mean it is innovative or creative, it just means they bounce between several different intangible possibilities and use them as stimulation. Basically Ne enjoys activities involving new ideas instead of new sensations like Se does. Fi is a decision making function. It has very deep values and seeks to understsnd people, rather than understanding ideas, and how things work like Ti does. That's all I can say about the your functions. If you don't relate to whatI just said, you should reconsider your typing.
[ QUOTE=pluviophile;2490158]Over the span of several years, and even before knowing what it all meant, my test results have always shown INFP. It fits better than anything else. My problem has been with determining my Enneagram type.

I have observed on this site that using functions to determine type seems to often make it trickier. I think maybe that is because we can all use all of the functions, and maybe at different times it will seem like one is more dominant when, overall, that may not really be the case. Also, I think it might be because your four main functions and how they are stacked will put a different spin on how each is used a little bit. I don't know though, I'm pretty new to this stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Kensei

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=25370]pluviophile[/MENTION] ,the quotatioms did not work, so I guess I will have to use a mention to indicate that I was talking to you in my last post.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually tend to test as an intj or intp most of the time... always test as an N because the questions on the tests are horrendous... have, in the past, tested as an entp

and I tend to be behaviorally introverted but not shy in the least as well, which also tends to confuse tests

can't say for sure whether I use se or ti more, or ni or fe... depends on things, really :shrug:

tests don't type me accurately though and that's for sure... I'm actually a lot more comfortable with my enneagram typing than anything else

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=25370]pluviophile[/MENTION] ,the quotatioms did not work, so I guess I will have to use a mention to indicate that I was talking to you in my last post.

I think maybe I didn't convey my thoughts very clearly or something. I didn't mean that the functions confuse me. I agree that they explain a lot more than just the letters. What I meant is that I've seen a lot of people get hung up on the functions when they are trying to determine their type and that sometimes it seems to makes things more confusing instead of easier. I was just talking specifically about using them to help type yourself.

Basically I was answering your question with a big yes. I think that people get confused or mistyped a lot because of functions.

kangaroo2003

Enneagram
3w4
At first NP, but then I realized I am completely different from how NTP process stuff. NTJ now, 100% sure

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the reason I've doubted my N is because they were stereotyped to be pretentious philosophers who wanted to talk about nothing but theory and the meaning of life.

We are....