• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is research a Te thing?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, that's pretty much how my thinking goes. I have trees of decision in my mind realtime, vague roadmaps. I plan long-term things vaguely and short-term things ever more presicely, and at short-enough time-span I just execute, not plan. But then I'm my own boss, so I ever think what I should decide for myself, and what of my own commands I should obey. But, this isn't much about research, is it?

In any case, mythbusters is one of my favorites in exposing the scientific mindview - which is most about making tests, if you asks me. Edison is another one who's (un) scientific method has inspired me. A third one is Tesla.

Einstein inspires me, but not per scientific method, because I've never learned to understand what his method was about.

Are you ENTJ or ENTP? Your sig says ENTJ, but you have said ENTP on the forum. Which one are you?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Are you ENTJ or ENTP? Your sig says ENTJ, but you have said ENTP on the forum. Which one are you?
I've been open about this the last 3 years: I don't believe in MBTI much. I like to handle it like any of the broken marbles any kid would want. What I believe I'm a good individual, of which ENTJ description captures something, and ENTP something. Other type descriptions capture yet something else.

But a true believer in MBTI, am I not. If I were a believer and accurate, I'd most accurately type myself as Exxx.
Edit: for everyone's findings, their type description and type captures some of the good that's in them.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've been open about this the last 3 years: I don't believe in MBTI much. I like to handle it like any of the broken marbles any kid would want. What I believe I'm a good individual, of which ENTJ description captures something, and ENTP something. Other type descriptions capture yet something else.

But a true believer in MBTI, am I not. If I were a believer and accurate, I'd most accurately type myself as Exxx.

Well, in that case, what functions do you use?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, in that case, what functions do you use?
Well, I use some Fe sparingly to get along with people. This isn't as much of a chore as it sounds.
Fi, I guess I feel about myself and I think regularly about the feelings of others.
Te, I do plans, but they don't always come into effect.
Ti. I analyze things - this is my strong thing.
Ne - I Imagine - I do this best with information and concepts, less with acts of courage.
Ni - I plan my future ahead - this I've thought alot with wisdom (I think, but I'm ready to doubt it.)
Si - I've grudingly allowed myself to think of systems and the past. They're of much use.
Se - Doing something that you know to be there is awesome. You have a first-hand experience with reality.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, I use some Fe sparingly to get along with people. This isn't as much of a chore as it sounds.
Fi, I guess I feel about myself and I think regularly about the feelings of others.
Te, I do plans, but they don't always come into effect.
Ti. I analyze things - this is my strong thing.
Ne - I Imagine - I do this best with information and concepts, less with acts of courage.
Ni - I plan my future ahead - this I've thought alot with wisdom (I think, but I'm ready to doubt it.)
Si - I've grudingly allowed myself to think of systems and the past. They're of much use.
Se - Doing something that you know to be there is awesome. You have a first-hand experience with reality.

After reading this you sound ENTP.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
After reading this you sound ENTP.
Thanks for your idea. It sounds fitting, and your idea seems genuine and nice. But please don't take the types too seriously in my case.

I've done some student-sized research though and I'm moving up in academia. I've had some best grades, some worst grades, some failures, and I personally know a doctor in computer science I've done some hobby project with for some 1,5 years. I don't know what all the research is for everyone, but I know something what "research" means for me.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks for your idea. It sounds fitting, and your idea seems genuine and nice. But please don't take the types too seriously in my case.

I've done some student-sized research though and I'm moving up in academia. I've had some best grades, some worst grades, some failures, and I personally know a doctor in computer science I've done some hobby project with for some 1,5 years. I don't know what all the research is for everyone, but I know something what "research" means for me.

That's interesting

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That's interesting
I got interested about the topic, connection with Te and research. I thought about your original topic some more: facts vs own conclusion?

Facts are sometimes systematic facts, but often folksy facts. Own research is sometimes someone's idiocy, sometimes their bright ideas. Both are needed. I think the devil's in the details; you can tell so much more about the complex interplay of these various phenomena if you know them. I don't know what I know, I'm just guessing (or something). See you in a while. Have to go to sleep for a while =)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I got interested about the topic, connection with Te and research. I thought about your original topic some more: facts vs own conclusion?

Facts are sometimes systematic facts, but often folksy facts. Own research is sometimes someone's idiocy, sometimes their bright ideas. Both are needed. I think the devil's in the details; you can tell so much more about the complex interplay of these various phenomena if you know them. I don't know what I know, I'm just guessing (or something). See you in a while. Have to go to sleep for a while =)

Good night.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^
idk random i was trying 2 b funneeeeee

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know but I sure know I like to collect facts. My mother calls me a walking encyclopedia, and I fight with my ESFJ friend about being more current about certain things (like yes, I do know that fact, I just recently researched it, you're just speaking from your "common sense" those kinds of conversations, but what is awesome is that she will then go look it up, because she hates to be wrong). I also remember getting very angry with JTG once because he had the nerve to disagree with me about something that was FACTUAL. Usually he doesn't like to argue without a reference anyway, I guess, because he doesn't see the point in arguing opinions like I do, but I couldn't believe he was blatantly FACTUALLY WRONG and was still arguing with me, because he couldn't stand to be wrong or something.

But facts don't stand alone, that would be absurd. In fact I remember going around and round with an ESFJ on this site because he thought that statistics spoke for themselves! It irritated me to no end, clearly all things must be interpreted IN CONTEXT.

On the other hand, I do not like reading long, involved, dry academic texts and I do associate that more with Ti. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I really hate reading some blee blee blah blah ....and will jump to the conclusion or summary to collect the facts or findings. I think Ti might be more interested in the blee blee blah blah.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
This is also my question. I have been pondering about this question.
My answer is: It depends on what the research is. Scientific research that usually collects external data and the person seeks to generate new knowledge from it, will be a natural for psyche with Si-Fe (ISFJ, INTP if balanced) or Si-Te (ISTJ, INFP if balanced). To be spesific, ISFJ / INTP balanced may be good at Medicine and some natural sciences: chemistry, soc sciences history. ISTJ may be good at economics sciences, accounting. Fi - Ne can really introduced a novel scientific theory like MBTI, if INFP engage his/her Si-Te.
Engineering research who aimed at designing new device that solves human practical problem, like this internet forum that solves human practical problem to find people interested in discussing deeply in Typology will be good if conducted by different type. Without the engineer who designed and developed this forum, many of us would be struggling finding people interested in Typology to discuss with, which would be very hard in real life. Or like Social Network to make friend what was invented by Zuckenberg. Such A research may be at the best when ENTP is the engineer.
ENFP may also be good at engineering, but may be it is not spesific for me what engineering ENFP will be good at.
Archeological Research who seeks to find ancient artifact, relic and to explain what must have happened to ancient civilization will be best if conducted by ESFP.
ESTP will be good at a martial artist research to develop a new move in a martial arts, like Jet Kun Doo was initially introduced by Bruce Lee.
But for a field that do not seek empirical data to conduct research.
INFJ like Carl Jung is well proven to introduce theory of psychology.
INTJ may be good at mathematical research.
Of course the type, has to find their way to the research position of the field also.