• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do people have the patience to write ridculously long posts?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have patience.

The only long posts I make are about things I really care about. Those things are now in my blog. But I used to post more, because I had more enthusiasm.

I actually dislike writing long posts for several reasons

(1) I don't like to edit my posts, and the more I have to reread what I post, the more drained I become.
(2) I don't like reading others' long posts, therefore I don't like to put others through the pain of having to read a long post of mine. (With the exception of some of my favorite posters.)
(3) I enjoy being vague, it's more big picture. Also I despise having to explain myself. It weeds out the incompetent assumptuous people.

-As for other people, I have no clue. I once heard that long pages of text can be an indicator of valuing Ti.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Short loses nuance. Most things are not black and white, but require spending the time to explore the topic. Rarely does substance get conveyed in a chat message.

What people need to learn is having no more than 3 or 4 sentences per paragraph. It is a little trick I learned when I was doing some journalism. More than that and the audience gets lost.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
this isn't a criticsm but rater a legit inquiry. I mean nothing against you people who do this, I just want to know where the patience to write a 5 paragraph well written coherent post comes from. I can maybe do a paragraph then it turns to gobbly gook or forget where I'm going with my thought so i have to make something up or just stop.

As the owner of some of the longest post on this forum and will say:

1. This is who I am.
2. I don't have ADHD and I am pretty J, therefore I can concentrate on one goal for a fair amount of time.
3. One the reasons why I post here or on the internet in general is because that is how I practice and keep my English in shape. (since it is not my first language)
4. What I want to say often contains alot of data and I want to explain the idea in a way that people see all the dots ... and without holes. (since my tritype doesn't really like those)

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have patience.

The only long posts I make are about things I really care about. Those things are now in my blog. But I used to post more, because I had more enthusiasm.

I actually dislike writing long posts for several reasons

(1) I don't like to edit my posts, and the more I have to reread what I post, the more drained I become.
(2) I don't like reading others' long posts, therefore I don't like to put others through the pain of having to read a long post of mine. (With the exception of some of my favorite posters.)
(3) I enjoy being vague, it's more big picture. Also I despise having to explain myself. It weeds out the incompetent assumptuous people.

-As for other people, I have no clue. I once heard that long pages of text can be an indicator of valuing Ti.

I really relate to the bold. Partly, I don't want people to get too much into my personal mental space but I still sort of want to connect with other due to my extroversion. I would rather people underestimate me/stay neutral than reveal a ton of details.

Long pages of text also seem very Ni-ish. I bet for many EJ types, not all by any means, long walls of texts can feel like torture because they want action.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
As the owner of some of the longest post on this forum and will say:

1. This is who I am.
2. I don't have ADHD and I am pretty J, therefore I can concentrate on one goal for a fair amount of time.
3. On the reasons why I post here or on the internet in general is because that is how I practice and keep my English in shape. (since it is not my first language)
4. What I want to say often contains alot of data and I want to explain the idea in a way that people see all the dots ... and without holes. (since my tritype doesn't really like those)

I don't have adhd either.
the rest maybe

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Usually when I write long posts, emails, even text messages! It's almost always because at that point, I've reached a sort of flow of thought where I am almost no longer aware that I am typing what should be a short message, and just keep typing away until my thought has been completed, irrelevant of the outcome. Importance level really has no application as to how long my post may be. It's really just whether I get into that flow or not.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My ideas come in paragraphs. It's just a single idea, but to explain it to someone else requires several paragraphs.

Why?

Because I can't just say the idea, which might actually be just, "Hey, check this out!" or some other short synopsis of what I want to say. If I just used a handful of words, those words would mean things to other people that I never intended them to mean. It took me a long time to realize that other people don't think like I do. (Not that thinking like me is a "good" or "bad" thing, but it IS a different thing.) In order to state my ideas, therefore, I have to sort of "set the stage" as it were. I have to say, "look over here" and "look over there" and "consider these things" and "now see what happens when I combine them" and "here's a summary of my conclusions". Most of my words are intended to put others in a frame of mind to UNDERSTAND my primary thought. The primary thought is rather succinct, but it cannot be pithy because it will sound weird without my setting the stage, the context, of the idea.

And now that I know how to do that, it's fairly easy for me to write out. It also helps that I can type very quickly and can edit typos and misstatements very quickly. :devil:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
More like, how do people have the patience to read them? I get easily frustrated by walls of text unless the person's writing style flows well.

This is because I instinctively summarize and connect ideas, so my posts tends to be short and very ordered. Not a detail person.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION]

I usually write long posts because I see it necessary that I get all the details in and I hope that people won't misunderstand from where I am coming from. I may not always be motivated to do so, but the people I really care about talking to, I do, yeah.

á´…eparted

passages
Another tidbit, part of the reason I tend to write a lot, is because I have the mentality of a teacher, and of all things me being drunk helps illustrate this. As they generally say, being drunk tends to amplify parts of ourselves. Ethanol makes a number of my filters drop, so things come out.

When I am drunk, more often than not I do NOT stop talking. People have been sort of left speechless a few times in my life because of it. I don't come up for air for very long. Part of what happens is I overcompensate. As I know I am inebreiated, I figure that my thoughts aren't going to be as clear, and my presentation will suffer. So, if I simply explain things multiple ways, my point is more likely to come across. The result? I'll sort of explain, and re explain, and re explain my points in different ways sort of endlessly. In the moment I won't realize it, but sometimes people will go "Hard, you're being a broken record again".

It matters a lot to me that my points come across clearly, and are easily understood by others. What good is my talking if people don't understand it? The result? Lots of words. Generally speaking I am well regarded for being very good at explaining things. However, people who tend to be "less is more" will either be annoyed by my methods, or find it endeering. I have some friends/coleegs that get this smug look on their face when I monolouge like this due to finding it endeering :dry: (I am 100% fine with them doing it though, in a strange way I find it endeering that they find me endeering?)

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I wish I had a more substantial answer to your question other than I'm driven and I want to ensure that others understand my ideas. The more lines that someone has to read between the easier it is to create misinterpretation, which makes for a wasteful ensuing discussion for everyone and less valuable feedback for me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wish I had a more substantial answer to your question other than I'm driven and I want to ensure that others understand my ideas. The more lines that someone has to read between the easier it is to create misinterpretation, which makes for a wasteful ensuing discussion for everyone and less valuable feedback for me.

yeah but do people who write long posts consider that people skip words and it essentially becomes the same as writing a shorter post because they're gonna read what they want. kind of like how fortunes work?

anyone can answer.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm a rather verbose person, and wrote damn fine Political Science papers in college. My preferred method of communication is verbal not written, and converting whats in my head to the written word as opposed to the spoken word is sometimes taxing, but on topics I feel strongly about, I don't have too much trouble getting a long thought down.

Sometimes I'll draft my post in word and the copy and paste it to typo c. I've had posts that run 7+ pages in word single spaced. I learned to do that after I wrote a long post one time and it took me so long that I was logged out of Typoc before I posted it. So now I draft in word if I have to.

But yea, if I could just do this verbally instead of writing I would much prefer it.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
yeah but do people who write long posts consider that people skip words and it essentially becomes the same as writing a shorter post because they're gonna read what they want. kind of like how fortunes work?

anyone can answer.

Haha, yeah, I do. This will sound cold, but I think the people who are truly invested in a topic will set aside the time and muster the energy to read the more detailed posts, and those are the people I want to discuss with because they are committed to the topic. In my experience on other forums, for the most part, those who don't want to pay attention to posts can't or don't want to be reached anyways. They either aren't invested in it much or they've already made up their minds.

Sometimes I wish I could more succinct, and I try to be, but a lot of nuance is lost with short posts.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Haha, yeah, I do. This will sound cold, but I think the people who are truly invested in a topic will set aside the time and muster the energy to read the more detailed posts, and those are the people I want to discuss with because they are committed to the topic. In my experience on other forums, for the most part, those who don't want to pay attention to posts can't or don't want to be reached anyways. They either aren't invested in it much or they've already made up their minds.

Sometimes I wish I could more succinct, and I try to be, but a lot of nuance is lost with short posts.

as long as you're aware than keep on writing, :shrug: i mean i just didn't want you to waste your time, if you thought everyone reads long posts, i'll sometimes read them, but most of the times it's like meh nah. and i can guarantee it has nothing to do with my interest, just how bored i am.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
as long as you're aware than keep on writing, :shrug: i mean i just didn't want you to waste your time, if you thought everyone reads long posts, i'll sometimes read them, but most of the times it's like meh nah. and i can guarantee it has nothing to do with my interest, just how bored i am.

Hey, it's OK. And there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification or a summary. I may not get to it but I won't be upset that you asked.

I mean, I don't feel entitled to have my posts read in entirety. I like it but it's the reader's decision based on their own time and attention span. Nothing personal if someone doesn't want to read.

I'm considering more bullet points based on your concern though!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hey, it's OK. And there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification or a summary. I may not get to it but I won't be upset that you asked.

I mean, I don't feel entitled to have my posts read in entirety. I like it but it's the reader's decision based on their own time and attention span. Nothing personal if someone doesn't want to read.

I'm considering more bullet points based on your concern though!

bullet points are the best!!!

but yeah i've always had the problem with accidently skipping words and sentences and going wait what? then reading it again still missing things then finally being like i give up but i want to say something so i will. its why i sucked in classes that required a lot of reading and to write papers on what i read, because even if i do manage to read everything i'll probably just forget :doh: But i am decent at fiction writing, but i think thats because that's my imagination and not figuring out how someone elses mind works. No I do not know what the blue dressed symbolized and i don't get how that had anything to do with the fact that i had to read this book.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Another tidbit, part of the reason I tend to write a lot, is because I have the mentality of a teacher, and of all things me being drunk helps illustrate this. As they generally say, being drunk tends to amplify parts of ourselves. Ethanol makes a number of my filters drop, so things come out.

When I am drunk, more often than not I do NOT stop talking. People have been sort of left speechless a few times in my life because of it. I don't come up for air for very long. Part of what happens is I overcompensate. As I know I am inebreiated, I figure that my thoughts aren't going to be as clear, and my presentation will suffer. So, if I simply explain things multiple ways, my point is more likely to come across. The result? I'll sort of explain, and re explain, and re explain my points in different ways sort of endlessly. In the moment I won't realize it, but sometimes people will go "Hard, you're being a broken record again".

It matters a lot to me that my points come across clearly, and are easily understood by others. What good is my talking if people don't understand it? The result? Lots of words. Generally speaking I am well regarded for being very good at explaining things. However, people who tend to be "less is more" will either be annoyed by my methods, or find it endeering. I have some friends/coleegs that get this smug look on their face when I monolouge like this due to finding it endeering :dry: (I am 100% fine with them doing it though, in a strange way I find it endeering that they find me endeering?)

Hold up there, Tolkein

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because it's me who's doing the talking. If I'm really in the heat of the moment and hyped up about whatever the post is related to, I could write long post after long post about it. But, unless someone else's long post is especially interesting, I won't have the patience to read it.