• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

writing i waant to commit suicide and am depressed on facebook

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
you think people who write this stuff on facebook are really suicidal and depressed or do they want attention?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe both? I saw a documentary on youth suicide last night where one of the girls was writing pretty much exactly that and followed through. She seemed like a pretty typical infp emo type, teenaged and just broken up with her boyfriend. All her messages seemed pretty standard emo teenage fare (comically stereotypical even), so if I'd seen it I'd probably have just written it off as a girl going through "that phase". Cutting herself on the arms and wearing short-sleeved shirts to show them off suggests she either wanted attention or didn't care about hiding. Her facebook entries near the end provoked mixed responses of "You ok sweety? :(" and "lol".

Then she jumped in front of a train. Pretty recent.

So I guess you never know.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd also vote for both. I get messages like this on Facebook about once a week from various former students from the reserve I worked on. On the one hand, it is a bit of attention-seeking and wanting to be noticed. On the other hand, most of those kids are dealing with huge, soul-crushing circumstances in their lives that really offer no foreseeable relief in the future. They generally are without an emotional support system and also have not had good coping skills modelled to them. Addictions and abusive relationships are a pretty common thing there and suicide is totally thinkable because most of the kids have been abandoned by someone close to them in that way. So, I think after awhile it's easy to start feeling jaded because it is such a common thing and it seems that Facebook is an inappropriate venue for seeking help. On the other hand, it's really hard to tell who is truly on the edge.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
omg. i'd wonder how this person got on my
friend list in the first place then unfriend them.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you think people who write this stuff on facebook are really suicidal and depressed or do they want attention?

Idk, sometimes people who are suicidal and depressed want attention because they recognise they need help. I think there is a huge overlap.

Of course there will be others who are just attention seeking without much thought for the larger picture.

G

Ginkgo

BqBnY3NnvE6sxNtdlOD0Xw2.jpg

W

WALMART

They want attention.

In the sense that nobody truly wants to commit suicide.

Well.... mostly nobody.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They want attention.

In the sense that nobody truly wants to commit suicide.

Well.... mostly nobody.

Hmm well yes and no. I believe sucicidal individuals will often sway on this, there may be times when they just want the pain to go away, to escape but also times when they just see black and white... end this...enough. The former can probably be helped by one or more of numerous methods/medications but the latter is pretty much tied up. There is a real difficulty when you have an individual who moves between the two. How do we know these people should be treated and what gives us that right.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
People learn about sucidiality they could be isolated and posting as a last resort to connect to someone else.you people make me sick,I hope someone kills themselves in front of you after you laugh at them

although it depends on context "OMG I'm going to kill myself, because my dad won't let me go to the movie" probably attention seeking
"facebook people, I regret to inform you that my life is going nowhere i will end it tonight, just wanted to say my goodbye" a little more serious

yeah i dunno but it seems like if you say that you don't know what it's like to be so cut off to do anything as a last resort to reach outand than just to be laughed at about it, seems demeaning to me. i'm not suicidal, i've just been there so maybe i take status like that a little more seriously, and if they're right and the person is being over dramatic they'll go to the hospital and learn not to throw around words i'm going to kill myself haphazardly

christicake

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If everyone who thought of committing suicide on Facebook actually went through with it, then there would be a lot of dead people. So of course, I can see how it would be hard to take people seriously. There are unfortunately those who do intend on following through. There seems to be a negative connotations with having thoughts of suicide, as if it makes one weak. I have compassion for those who have the courage to reach out, although, I think the best course of action is to not get too involved on their FB page, because it just encourages people to continue turn to the wrong place for guidance and help. I would just give them the number to the suicide hotline in response.

Suicide is a leading cause of death among teenagers and adults under 35. The rate of suicide is far higher in men than in women, with males worldwide three to four times more likely to kill themselves than females. There are an estimated 10 to 20 million non-fatal attempted suicides every year worldwide.

Just as a side note:

I personally see nothing wrong with feeling suicidal. The question that most people should ask is "How can I work with this problem that is making me feel suicidal?" Suicidal thoughts are a sign of rebirth and transformation. In the book The Language of Emotions, Karla McLaren says, You can ask the questions, "What idea or behavior must end now?" or "What can no longer be tolerated?"

xisnotx

Permabanned
The world needs less people; they are performing a service for those of us who choose to selfishly live...
In that light, I think they want praise before going out.
So, encourage them, I think.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
is it too apethetic to tell them to call a crisis hotline an save it for their therapist, so they can an increase in their meds?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The world needs less people; they are performing a service for those of us who choose to selfishly live...
In that light, I think they want praise before going out.
So, encourage them, I think.

I agree with you to a certain extent... But not really... Actually, I have a bit of a problem with that after the first semi-colon.

People seem to forget (Or downright ignore the fact) that suicidal ideation is very much a mental health problem, and isn't always something which people fake for attention. I don't think this is the correct target audience for reducing the world's population. (No, I'm not going to say whom I think is a better target.)

Both situations are obviously possible.

I think that the correct way to deal with people like this is basically what's already been stated. Just respond with the suicide hotline number, or something similar. If they really are honestly considering it, a professional is better suited to deal with it. If they just want attention, this is giving them the minimal amount of attention without being neglectful of the possibility that they are serious.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I understand the impulse of directing them to a professional, but couldn't this come across as "tell someone who cares. or is paid to pretend they care"?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand the impulse of directing them to a professional, but couldn't this come across as "tell someone who cares. or is paid to pretend they care"?

Yeah, I can see that interpretation. In my case it's more like "I'm so cynical/pessimistic that I don't trust myself to not push you further, so talk to someone who is less likely to say something stupid" though, which is why I'd be hesitant to talk too much. And I would assume that it's something closer to this for most people as well.

The whole issue is kind of like walking on thin ice though. You definitely wouldn't want anything you might say to be misinterpreted, which is actually part of the reason for that impulse.

Oh yeah, also I don't use Facebook, so maybe none of this would apply. I don't understand how the social environment there might differ from places I'm used to.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I think that a lot of individuals who post emo or suicidal statuses are usually doing it for the attention aspect. However, I do think there is a minority of people who truly do feel so overwhelmed that they do not understand the implications of putting such emotional statuses up in a public forum. Their judgement and thinking is clouded and all they feel that they want at that exact moment is someone to comfort them and tell them that their life is worth living. You could argue that it is for attention, but I think it's a bit deeper than that for some people.

I recently (last week) had a friend on Facebook have a suicidal status where it was basically saying farewell, cruel cruel world. I wouldn't really call her a friend even, but I've noticed that for the last two years she's been depressed/full of drama/angry/etc. I reported the status to Facebook under their new suicide watch thing. I figured, well - I don't know her well enough to get into her business and try to help, but I also don't want to sit by and do nothing.

Five minutes later she had a status up saying a big fuck-you to whoever reported the status, and if they didn't like it they didn't have to look. Needless to say, I was baffled.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think that a lot of individuals who post emo or suicidal statuses are usually doing it for the attention aspect. However, I do think there is a minority of people who truly do feel so overwhelmed that they do not understand the implications of putting such emotional statuses up in a public forum. Their judgement and thinking is clouded and all they feel that they want at that exact moment is someone to comfort them and tell them that their life is worth living. You could argue that it is for attention, but I think it's a bit deeper than that for some people.

I recently (last week) had a friend on Facebook have a suicidal status where it was basically saying farewell, cruel cruel world. I wouldn't really call her a friend even, but I've noticed that for the last two years she's been depressed/full of drama/angry/etc. I reported the status to Facebook under their new suicide watch thing. I figured, well - I don't know her well enough to get into her business and try to help, but I also don't want to sit by and do nothing.

Five minutes later she had a status up saying a big fuck-you to whoever reported the status, and if they didn't like it they didn't have to look. Needless to say, I was baffled.

wow, i would have been like, "bitch don't say you're going to kill yourself unless you're actually planning to. because suicide is serious business, fuck you asswipe"

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'd be confused and ambivalent about whether to believe them or not, and then decide that in the end there's nothing I could say or do anyway that would change their mind/be helpful in any way. Luckily I'm not on FB anymore.