• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever do "pity shopping" ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
"Pity shopping" is the term I just made up as the mixture of shopping and pity sex.
Therefore do you ever buy things that you don't really really need but you could or will use anyway simply because you know that the person or company selling is in financial trouble ? How often do you deliberately buy something from your local underdeveloped/troubled regions if the price and quality are reasonable ?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
"Pity shopping" is the term I just made up as the mixture of shopping and pity sex.
Therefore do you ever buy things that you don't really really need but you could or will use anyway simply because you know that the person or company selling is in financial trouble ? How often do you deliberately buy something from your local underdeveloped/troubled regions if the price and quality are reasonable ?

As far as other countries go - this is a super American thing. The entire Fair Trade idea is based on it.

Global Crafts | Wholesale Fair Trade Handmade Gifts and Crafts

Not that fair trade isn't a good idea, it is. But it's marketed to make one focus on on the poverty, the destitute living conditions, exploitation or some other negative in the hopes that it guilts one into buying the product.

If they would just say - we are a socially sustainable for-profit business, providing craftspeople or food suppliers an avenue to sell their products/crops/wares without being too ripped off by us (or at least not talking too loudly about it) and wrapping it in nice, clean, organic cotton cloth. Maybe it will improved the lives of craftspeople, maybe it won't but you, the consumer, will probably feel better.

That said, I buy from an entire country that's having a rough time as much as possible. The one I live in, preferably from the local are I live in.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In my area, there's a big push to support local businesses as opposed to mass produced products or big chain type places. I went to one of the local breakfast places here. I ordered a plate that was supposed to have two biscuits. I got one split in half and I asked the waitress where the other one is, and she said "they count the one as two since they cut it in half." I complained about everything, including that, until they gave me half my money back. I haven't returned to there, and don't plan to. Businesses that mess up need to go out of business. It's just like how I would be fired from a job if I didn't do it well.

On the other hand, I do support local businesses that I want to stick around. There's no pity in it for me.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have thought about and felt bad for this Greek food place right next to the chick fil a because it wasn't getting any customers, but I haven't actually purchased and food from them since you can't beat chick fil a.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll buy things my friends make that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. Also there was a used clothing boutique next to where I worked that was a cute start up and I liked supporting it because they did need customers, but I'll have to say most of that pity motivated shopping was for myself. It was a rough summer. :D