• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

yeghor

1663638422241.png

yeghor

This scene where Kirk chooses to surrender always gives me goosebumps for some reason.

A Photon Torpedo Strikes Kronos One

yeghor

I always felt a liking for the Klingon Ambassador General Korrd in the Final Frontier movie. He comes across as a mellowed and wisened warrior, like a compassionate grandpa.

He also looks quite like General Iroh in Avatar the Last Airbender series, in appearance, tastes, demeanor and history. Turns out both Iroh and Korrd were strong warriors/tacticians who had lost children to war, which changed their outlook about it and life.

1663995997727.png
1663996054557.png

"Klingon Commander. Someone Wishes to Speak With You."

yeghor

I sense a general attitude of pretentiousness and self-aggrandization in Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space Nine series. Edit: Next generation as well.

The main characters are made to look like they are boasting their superior wits, intelligence and morals over their enemies. And it smells like white privilege, and by white I mean the Western "developed" world. Haven't watched Voyager and watched a bit DS 9 but I can't help noticing and getting irritated by it.

It also reminds me of the pretentious LARPers in my college, who were also little egotists.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This makes me happier than I understand why, but Terry Farrell (Dax of Deep Space 9) married Leonard Nimoy's son, Adam Nimoy.

I feel delighted.
That's cool. I wasn't aware she had gotten divorced. She originally left acting to be more family oriented and was living in the same general area I had been about 10 years ago but I didn't realize it -- I mean, how often do people from Hollywood end up in rural PA?

My roommate at the time who was in to yoga came back crowing about how she went to a yoga session at someone's house and it ended up being Terry Farrell. (She was even more of a Trekhead than I was, so of course she recognized her immediately.)

EDIT: Yikes, found this on Wikipedia a second ago.

In August 2015, she was reportedly in a relationship with Adam Nimoy[9] and Farrell confirmed on Twitter that they were engaged. Farrell and Nimoy were married in San Francisco on March 26, 2018, on Leonard Nimoy's 87th birthday.[10] The marriage ended in divorce in 2022.

Now I'm sad.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@Totenkindly
That's a bummer they got divorced. Marriage is really difficult especially when everyone isn't really busy with children, building houses, tending the farm, etc. They also had a new pandemic marriage as well.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We live in interesting times when the Rick & Morty Orville crossover is the best (currently airing and produced) Trek series.

And bummer about Jadzia’s divorce, but also a slight glimmer of hope for me :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lower Decks actually feels like it’s written by people who understand Trek (because it is). It doesn’t add much new substance to the universe, but I do like the way it ties the TNG era series lore together in a way that hasn’t been done to this extent. Sure, DS9 and Voyager had their occasional crossover episodes, but on the whole, they were treated like separate entities and it was rare to see the greater universe connected so organically. I like how the Titan episodes outright mock the trend toward constant space conflict action in Trek that’s become so popular since the TNG movies

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Lower Decks actually feels like it’s written by people who understand Trek (because it is). It doesn’t add much new substance to the universe, but I do like the way it ties the TNG era series lore together in a way that hasn’t been done to this extent. Sure, DS9 and Voyager had their occasional crossover episodes, but on the whole, they were treated like separate entities and it was rare to see the greater universe connected so organically. I like how the Titan episodes outright mock the trend toward constant space conflict action in Trek that’s become so popular since the TNG movies
I really enjoy it a lot. I'm pretty invested in everyone's arcs. I enjoy the feeling of realness it adds to the rest of star trek. I'm glad someone is addressing the things Ive always wondered about the realities of the trekverse.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
WEIRD THROWBACK "LAST OUTPOST" FERENGI XD. that was a good one. This sgow is loaded with member berries but at least there's some heart and substance. I don't really mind member berries when used properly. a lot of the references are very subtle and easy to miss. I catch a lot of them but several flew over my wife's head.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sense a general attitude of pretentiousness and self-aggrandization in Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space Nine series. Edit: Next generation as well.

The main characters are made to look like they are boasting their superior wits, intelligence and morals over their enemies. And it smells like white privilege, and by white I mean the Western "developed" world. Haven't watched Voyager and watched a bit DS 9 but I can't help noticing and getting irritated by it.

It also reminds me of the pretentious LARPers in my college, who were also little egotists.
I see why you would think that of TNG and VOY, but I feel like DS9 truly was a show about misfits and ex B team players who eventually excel and prove themselves

-Sisko begins the series as a former hotshot whose career in the command track has stalled and is sitting in a cushy but low profile job on Earth. It takes him three seasons to become a Captain.
-Jake is bright, but not the Mary Sue wunderkind we saw with Wesley in TNG. He’s a normal teenage boy by most measures.
-Kira was more or less shuffled off to a job she DOESN’T WANT because she annoyed her Bajoran military commanders. It’s clearly not the most desirable position for an ambitious young militia soldier
-Odo’s name literally is Bajoran for Unknown Sample. He’s distrusted, feared and seen as a freak by many. He’s more or less an outcast from his own people.
-Dax and Bashir may be the closest we see to prodigies that would fit in easily on any “A team” series ships. Bashir is initially shown to be inexperienced, naive, and overly arrogant. He’s a try hard who couldn’t even graduate top of his medical school class.
-O’Brien came from greatness, but when we first see him on TNG, he’s a nameless minor bridge support officer. Then he’s a button pushing transport chief. He’s sent from one of the best ships in the fleet to serve on a backwater starbase repairing shitty Cardassian technology.
-Garak is a disgraced Cardassian spy relegated to being a tailor on a station filled with Bajorans who distrust him
-Quark is a bartender but he could’ve had his own moon by now.
-Rom is a brilliant engineer but we don’t really get to see this until later in the show. He’s a poor businessman who lacks the lobes to acquire.
-Worf enters the series as a guy on the verge of leaving Starfleet. He’s come from a prestigious job on the D, but by this time he is sort of stalling in his career. He only regains his mojo by switching to a command track career. Even then, he later gets reprimanded for letting personal feelings compromise a mission. This leads to a reprimand in season 6 which Sisko tells him will likely mean Worf never becomes a Captain in Starfleet. So he’s basically never going to make it above Lt. Commander
-Dukat struggles with demotions and career setbacks throughout the first four and a half seasons.
-Damar begins as a stubborn yes man for Dukat, then later is a puppet of the Dominion. He only becomes a total badass hero in the series’ final arc
-Nog starts the series as an illiterate misogynistic delinquent
-Leeta is a Dabo girl but at least she has big errrmm “Brains”…
-Ezri is an inexperienced and naive junior officer at first

Please give DS9 another shot. It gets much better in season 2, and is epic with very few filler episodes by seasons 4-6. Most of the characters are initially presented as contrasts to the overachieving glory hogs of TOS and TNG. Even when DS9 characters are amazing and succeed, they all have at least a few character flaws with which they must cope and/or overcome

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I see why you would think that of TNG and VOY, but I feel like DS9 truly was a show about misfits and ex B team players who eventually excel and prove themselves

-Sisko begins the series as a former hotshot whose career in the command track has stalled and is sitting in a cushy but low profile job on Earth. It takes him three seasons to become a Captain.
-Jake is bright, but not the Mary Sue wunderkind we saw with Wesley in TNG. He’s a normal teenage boy by most measures.
-Kira was more or less shuffled off to a job she DOESN’T WANT because she annoyed her Bajoran military commanders. It’s clearly not the most desirable position for an ambitious young militia soldier
-Odo’s name literally is Bajoran for Unknown Sample. He’s distrusted, feared and seen as a freak by many. He’s more or less an outcast from his own people.
-Dax and Bashir may be the closest we see to prodigies that would fit in easily on any “A team” series ships. Bashir is initially shown to be inexperienced, naive, and overly arrogant. He’s a try hard who couldn’t even graduate top of his medical school class.
-O’Brien came from greatness, but when we first see him on TNG, he’s a nameless minor bridge support officer. Then he’s a button pushing transport chief. He’s sent from one of the best ships in the fleet to serve on a backwater starbase repairing shitty Cardassian technology.
-Garak is a disgraced Cardassian spy relegated to being a tailor on a station filled with Bajorans who distrust him
-Quark is a bartender but he could’ve had his own moon by now.
-Rom is a brilliant engineer but we don’t really get to see this until later in the show. He’s a poor businessman who lacks the lobes to acquire.
-Worf enters the series as a guy on the verge of leaving Starfleet. He’s come from a prestigious job on the D, but by this time he is sort of stalling in his career. He only regains his mojo by switching to a command track career. Even then, he later gets reprimanded for letting personal feelings compromise a mission. This leads to a reprimand in season 6 which Sisko tells him will likely mean Worf never becomes a Captain in Starfleet. So he’s basically never going to make it above Lt. Commander
-Dukat struggles with demotions and career setbacks throughout the first four and a half seasons.
-Damar begins as a stubborn yes man for Dukat, then later is a puppet of the Dominion. He only becomes a total badass hero in the series’ final arc
-Nog starts the series as an illiterate misogynistic delinquent
-Leeta is a Dabo girl but at least she has big errrmm “Brains”…
-Ezri is an inexperienced and naive junior officer at first

Please give DS9 another shot. It gets much better in season 2, and is epic with very few filler episodes by seasons 4-6. Most of the characters are initially presented as contrasts to the overachieving glory hogs of TOS and TNG. Even when DS9 characters are amazing and succeed, they all have at least a few character flaws with which they must cope and/or overcome
A spy, what an active imagination you have. Garak is a simple bisexual tailor. :)

The Cat

Staff member
I really liked Deep Space Nines Music, But I really love voyager's music

The Cat

Staff member
Watching Voyager for the first time as an adult. I gotta say, it is so much better than I remember it being. and omg can it make me CRY Season 2 Episode 12 Resistance has me bawling my adorable eyes out. I think Janeway could be my favorite captain...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really liked Deep Space Nines Music, But I really love voyager's music
you mean the underscore? there's some really good, dark music in the voyager episode Dark Frontier. I think Berman let the composers go a little more wild later in his tenure as executive producer, vs the very toned down scores of the earlier TNG/DS9 era. Ron Jones was basically fired for not adhering to Berman's desire for boring, unintrusive underscores on TNG, but his style would have been a perfect match for some of the later DS9 period war arcs, or even better, for the Voayger Borg episodes--would have been cool because he usually recycled his own alien themes/motifs so maybe he would've updated some of his Best of Both Worlds music for the VOY era

There was a cool ST podcast that interviewed various ST composers and the episode with Ron Jones was a gem. Very rebellious spirit and I can see why he didn't last in that situation.