• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You aren't an INFP.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yes. INFPs get to be the pretty, dreamy tumblr girl with a wonderful mind. ISFJs are supposedly kitchen homebodies who only think about how they're going to prepare their house for the church Bible study group. :dry:

It's the stereotypes.

Tbh I've seen that stereotype quite reversed on the two lol.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, she is a 6, and I'm not surprised that clearly comes through when describing her :D . I find 6w7 xSFJs can masquerade really well as ENFPs, so I can see how they might end up relating over a few things. Incidentally, my mom either tests as ESFJ or ENFP, but she agrees with me that she is an introvert, just not as "withdrawn" as me (which lines up too perfectly almost with our enneatypes).

I am curious as to 9 ISFJs....because they trip me up even more. Many 9s can seem like NFs or IxFPs when they are not. I consider myself pretty decent at typing people, but I've made the mistake of typing some SFJs as NFP too, which is why I've been supporting these threads.

Conversely I have a friend I believe is INFP 9 who I mistook as ISFJ upon meeting her. After getting to know her, our mentality is strikingly similar, but our outer demeanor is very different. She is much nicer and more likable than me :cry: :D . Maybe the "gut" and "emo" difference is part of it :D . People who see me when I am more relaxed will say that we remind them of each other, but they probably would never say we have similar "personalties".

I know you're not talking to me now, but just a comment about what you said on enneagram 9: I have 3 clear INFPs as important "actors" in my life right now and I am surprised how all of them give me a "relaxed" energy. It made me wonder if they are all 9. But actually, one of them in a very image focused 4 (a 4w3), the other a somewhat dramatic and needy 4 (I believe 4w5), and the third I don't know so I guess possibly a 9 at this point. What I mean to say is maybe all INFPs give me this "I'm relaxed...you be relaxed too' energy regardless of enneagram. I don't know if maybe you want to comment on that!? I don't think it's a general introvert thing, as I only feel this way around INFPs...maybe it's the fact that your Fi is more developed than mine, so you are more "individualistic" and more sure of your identity and what you want in life than me!? I'm certainly drawn to INFPs for this reason (as well as others)... Well, if you have any thoughts on this...thanks.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tbh I've seen that stereotype quite reversed on the two lol.

I second fetus here... I mean I'm sure it's true for some, but I can't say I've seen it completely reversed. :shock:

Can I ask a question? Does it somehow seem appealing to self-type as an INFP?

In a way, yes, for the reasons fetus already mentioned... it very much all reminds me of the People's ENFP thread. It's just the ~introvert edition~

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah.

I second fetus here... I mean I'm sure it's true for some, but I can't say I've seen it completely reversed. :shock:

In a way, yes, for the reasons fetus already mentioned... it very much all reminds me of the People's ENFP thread. It's just the ~introvert edition~

Lol. *introvert special tonight, only on prime time news network*

Yeah, I've met INFP's who are the most zealously religious people you'll ever meet. When they get that Fi/Si onto religion, they're hooked and overly passionate about it. Everything is church first, life second. INFP's too are reported to be the most likely out of all types to be a stay at home parent.
ISFJ's welll... it's you guys. ;D

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I've met INFP's who are the most zealously religious people you'll ever meet. When they get that Fi/Si onto religion, they're hooked and overly passionate about it. Everything is church first, life second. INFP's too are reported to be the most likely out of all types to be a stay at home parent.
ISFJ's welll... it's you guys. ;D

I don't know a lot of irl INFPs, so I'm not disagreeing with you on your observations, but when it comes to stereotypes as opposed to reality, I haven't seen INFPs get those stereotypes applied to them. :thinking:

Usually I see that get applied to ISFJs, regardless of whether or not it's true (for either type).

Like in that one thread in the philosophy subforum, the "what type is mostly likely to be religious" one, the winner is ISFJ last I checked. And all of the descriptions peg us as super traditional and conservative and religious (actually that goes for all SJs mostly, especially the ESFJs).

So my point was just to say that stereotypes and reality don't always merge :p

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I don't know a lot of irl INFPs, so I'm not disagreeing with you on your observations, but when it comes to stereotypes as opposed to reality, I haven't seen INFPs get those stereotypes applied to them.

Agreed.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Meh, Ti has quite the chip on its shoulder....and excessive emotionality is more about lower order functions, IMO.

Maybe, but I'm not sure about that... if I'm emotional, it's related to Fi, not to Te or Ni. I have tertiary Te just as an ISFJ has tertiary Ti, and I don't have Te-related emotionality at all.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Oh yes. INFPs get to be the pretty, dreamy tumblr girl with a wonderful mind. ISFJs are supposedly kitchen homebodies who only think about how they're going to prepare their house for the church Bible study group. :dry:

It's the stereotypes.

Hmm interesting. I suppose for adults in their 20's, geeky, space cadet-y style role models have been popularized and exist, making the "pretty, dreamy tumblr girl" something to aspire to? I agree that ISFJs get the shaft when it comes to their type stereotype though. My Mom is an ISFJ (tested and confirmed for those who would doubt) and she is a force, much more than the house-wifey labels often applied.

idk, anyone who reads an INFP description should run away screaming, imo. Great, I'm going to be seen as an airheaded dreamer who may struggle to accomplish anything of merit and generally be disregarded as irrational and emotionally tenuous for my whole life. Sounds super-duper.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] yup, I think potential ISFJs see the descriptions and cling to INFP, without realizing that every type comes with their own separate set of stereotypes and problems. It's more like idealization than true understanding

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] yup, I think potential ISFJs see the descriptions and cling to INFP, without realizing that every type comes with their own separate set of stereotypes and problems. It's more like idealization than true understanding

Which is a wonderful statement, that. An idealization. I know my Mom idealizes some aspects of the way I express myself. I think to her it represents a particular kind of freedom or creativity which feels novel and well, I'm her girl and it just all feels exciting to be swept into. Like we are a team when there's this kind of alignment. Or something like that, I'm not letting this sit long enough to express better. I admire so much how she can feel so satisified in her life and the routine she's crafted, something I can't relate to at all and something I struggle with on a minute by minute basis at times.

My parents are ISTJ and ISFJ - hippies for their time, raised us on a farm when their city-dwelling parents thought they were kind of nuts, have always done what they felt was "the right thing". They made their own path and live a rich life based on that. Being Si does not mean you ascribe to tradition per se; you ascribe to a version of known reality that you perceive fits you best and you live that. Living it creates contentment. I often wish I had the ability.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
More insights from an ISFJ

Alright. Here's some of what my type means to me. Some of this sounds stereotypically INFP, but really isn't. So, INFPs...think about this. If you see a lot of yourself, then consider this type. :)

Si

I'm Queen of Nostalgia. I hold on to everything that reminds me of old times, good and bad. I'm always thinking about my past, and if I'm not careful, I can get stuck there in obsessive reflection. All that thinking makes me very self-aware. I love to make up my own traditions, and adhere to the ones that bring me joy. If my family does something every Thanksgiving, then I always want to do it that way, even if a more intriguing opportunity arises. When something happens in my life, I remember the exact details. I can tell you the very day I had my first kiss, my first day in detention, my first period, the day in 7th grade I got in a fight with [classmate], the days I was admitted and discharged from the hospital, the day I saw a fight happen at my church, they start and end dates of all my romantic relationships. If I can't tell you the exact day, then I at least know the month and year. Every era in my life has its own distinct flavor and feel in my mind, almost like an emotional "scent." I could make a playlist with all the songs I listened to in every era from 6th grade on. I even named the different eras in my life. I love to listen to all the songs I used to listen to, in order to relive that time, but I'm afraid to do it too much; I don't want to tarnish the connections I have with the past. I never buy the same deodorant, shampoo, or conditioner twice, because I want to preserve them as unique artifacts of my personal history. The worst thing would be to merge new experiences into old ones - how, then, could I hold fast to my memories? Those ties would be forever lost.

Change can be difficult for me. I like being comfortable with what's safe and what's pleasant. My first reaction to change is, "Oh no!" If something is working well, I see little point in switching it up. That doesn't mean I hate progress - I love it! I just think that altering a system that is perfectly fine could likely throw things into chaos, and I just want to be peaceful, safe, and comfortable. Changes from book to movie and movie to book really bother me.

I'm a true romantic. I spend a lot of time in my head, lost, imagining the past and making up things that didn't even happen. I'm always going back to places from my past. I take walks to my old schools and wish I could relive a day or two there. I'm forever a childlike spirit, because deep down, I'm kind of afraid to grow up and leave everything that makes me feel alive. Part of me wants to become a teacher because I love being with kids - they remind me of my childhood, and it keeps me from growing old. I remember how I used to feel when I was in 5th grade, so I want to help people of that age because it's easier for me to empathize.

I feel very emotional when I see someone struggling with things I used to struggle with. I connect with hurting people by scanning my mind for times I felt that way. I'm extremely lazy and procrastinating, but I know exactly how I could get organized if I had the discipline. Why would I want to be rigid and organized when I could be relaxing in my happy place? (I think happy places can be very Si, by the way.)

I have been keeping a journal every day for over three years, and I read these entries all the time. It's so rewarding to see how much I've grown and changed, to see how different I am now. I go through life at a slow, peaceful and gradual pace; sometimes it takes some sudden external stimuli (like a photo) to make me aware of how much has changed. I'm clumsy and not very observant, unless there's a change in something or someone I care about - then I notice pretty quickly.

I love telling stories about my past. I can become very animated and excited when I share and recall memories. I want to be alone a lot, though, because the world throws so much stimuli at me, and I need time to process and reflect when things are calm. I'm very sensitive in this way (an HSP). When someone hits me with major information, I freeze up and stare into the distance because it's just so much to chew on.

Fe

I'm an extremely emotional person, and my feelings tend to overflow. On the outside, I can seem calm and distant, sometimes even critical, but I'm very easily hurt and I'll cry when that happens. I don't go around telling everyone about myself, but the people very close to me - my three or four best friends - hear a whole lot about my emotions. I'm afraid of being a burden to them when it comes to feelings.

I'm a huge advocate for social change and justice for all. I reject many traditional values because they cause harm to people. I want the best for all people and for all humanity, so I do my best to champion what is right. I'm someone who believes world peace is possible, if we all just chip in and do what we know is good. This can make me very idealistic. I imagine how the world could be, and I try to work towards it. Sometimes I feel discouraged when nobody else seems to be even trying for a harmonious world.

I think a lot about other people's issues. What are their lives like? What are they feeling? I'm very curious about other people. Sometimes I wish I could be invisible and go home with them, just to see how they live. I can look around the big city and feel a sense of wistful sadness - there are so many people out there, and all I'll be is a tiny face in the crowd. The world is full of people who need compassion, and I just can't reach everyone.

I try to be a kind and good person above all, even in the little things. I smile at people when I make eye contact, apologize if I bump in to someone, and say thank you whenever it's necessary. It really upsets me when people don't do these things. Show some respect! Every small deed counts in the grand scheme of things.

I want to be who I am, who I was made to be. Nobody ever changed the world by being normal. We are all born with different gifts, and I want to encourage everyone to cultivate them.

I can walk into a room and feel what's going on with my heart, even if my head doesn't yet have knowledge. Maybe I am an empath. Being around so many people is very draining. It's so hard to constantly take in everyone's moods, feelings, and reactions. I become overloaded with Fe, and I need to go be alone to relax back into my Si and reflect. This happens a lot.

I offer myself out to people for them to talk, but I'm actually terrible with other people's feelings. I'm so comfortable with my own emotions, but with other people, there's a block. It hurts, because I want to help, but I'm just so internally-focused. One day I'll know just what to say. I hope.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Which is a wonderful statement, that. An idealization. I know my Mom idealizes some aspects of the way I express myself. I think to her it represents a particular kind of freedom or creativity which feels novel and well, I'm her girl and it just all feels exciting to be swept into. Like we are a team when there's this kind of alignment. Or something like that, I'm not letting this sit long enough to express better. I admire so much how she can feel so satisified in her life and the routine she's crafted, something I can't relate to at all and something I struggle with on a minute by minute basis at times.

My parents are ISTJ and ISFJ - hippies for their time, raised us on a farm when their parents thought they were kind of nuts, have always done what they felt was "the right thing". They made their own path and live a rich life based on that. Being Si does not mean you ascribe to tradition per se; you ascribe to a version of known reality that you perceive fits you best and you live that. Living it creates contentment. I often wish I had the ability.

Yes!!! And I wish more people knew this, rather than ascribing to the more shallow definitions of it. There would be a lot less mistypes and a lot more understanding that way. :yes: Thank you PB for this A+ post.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION]: That was beautifully expressed. Thanks for sharing a peek into your soul. :hug:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I could make a playlist with all the songs I listened to in every era from 6th grade on. I even named the different eras in my life. I love to listen to all the songs I used to listen to, in order to relive that time, but I'm afraid to do it too much; I don't want to tarnish the connections I have with the past.
Oh my god I thought I was crazy for doing this
There's this song I heard on this electronica music channel on TV. and I loved it and listened to it quite often my freshman year of high school. Now, whenever I hear that song, it's like I've gone back in time and I'm actually reliving that period of my life. It's like I'm literally 14 again, all the problems and hopes and everyday life memories from that time hit me so strong because of that one specific song. People I knew who I'd otherwise forget, who were a part of my life at that time, I suddenly remember when I hear it. And I HATE listening to that song often. Not because I hate the experience, but because I don't want to wear it out and make it stop becoming special.

If it's okay with you, I'd love to compare and contrast what you've shared here with my experience as an ISFJ, when I get home from school in a few hours (it's excruciatingly painful to do this on my phone). That way we can describe the variety of ISFJ experiences for the curious. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know you're not talking to me now, but just a comment about what you said on enneagram 9: I have 3 clear INFPs as important "actors" in my life right now and I am surprised how all of them give me a "relaxed" energy. It made me wonder if they are all 9. But actually, one of them in a very image focused 4 (a 4w3), the other a somewhat dramatic and needy 4 (I believe 4w5), and the third I don't know so I guess possibly a 9 at this point. What I mean to say is maybe all INFPs give me this "I'm relaxed...you be relaxed too' energy regardless of enneagram. I don't know if maybe you want to comment on that!? I don't think it's a general introvert thing, as I only feel this way around INFPs...maybe it's the fact that your Fi is more developed than mine, so you are more "individualistic" and more sure of your identity and what you want in life than me!? I'm certainly drawn to INFPs for this reason (as well as others)... Well, if you have any thoughts on this...thanks.

Yeah, people have told me I seem calm much of the time, but that is not always how I feel. If I had to take a stab at it, some of the calming effect occurs when they realize I am actually not a very exacting person and am not judging others much. When I first meet people, they may feel on eggshells with me because I seem aloof and they project a difficult, hard to please persona on me. But if they get past my withdrawn nature, then they usually see I am really flexible and accepting. I do feel it is more of a 4 tendency to seem aloof on the surface and to experience that kind of misunderstanding.

I think you are onto something with the sureness about identity thing....what is funny is how much paranoia I have about having my identity being imposed upon. I suspect that ties to making people feel okay to be themselves, because I seem to be okay with being myself; that is something I think I seek to offer people too. I dont know if people are aware that INFPs can actually have a lot of inner turmoil over this....I often DONT feel okay to be myself, or I am concerned about the conflict it could create, but I have a weird sense that doing so does open the door for others. It is a little bit of a martry complex :X.

Kids and animals get calm around me too though. I struggle to see what others are picking up because sometimes I feel like my reservedness makes others think I am critical or uptight. Maybe I am hyper-aware of the distorted, mini ESTJ within me who probably is a low-functioning e1 to boot. I hate that part of myself, but I know it is there.

I personally find ISxPs some of the calmest people, with INxPs being more "jittery", but I think IxxPs in general have that relaxed attitude going on.

[MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION]
Awesome description. Better than a lot of ISFJ profiles out there. I can even see my mother in that, and she is an e6 and a more stereotypical ISFJ (perhaps due to generational differences). I think it should be pinned as a ISFJ profile somewhere.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe, but I'm not sure about that... if I'm emotional, it's related to Fi, not to Te or Ni. I have tertiary Te just as an ISFJ has tertiary Ti, and I don't have Te-related emotionality at all.

To give it more context....I was referring to Jung's description of Ji sort of having a chip on its shoulder (clunky paraphrasing, but whatever). So yeah, that could apply to Fi, and often is, but IMO, it is not as often recognized for Ti types. In short, they are sensitive to "violations" of their Ji concepts. For a Ti type, that might manifest as irritation with poor classification.

The lower down the function stack, so to speak, the less differentiated a function is from stuff like emotions or fantasies, etc. This is why, IMO, T-doms experience Feeling as rather simplistic and infantile emotion. I also think the inferior triggers emotionality, although it may not be expressed that way. That is true for me....I think I am triggered by Te stuff through this Fi filter, i.e., the idea I dont "measure up".

So since we are talking about ISFJs, I can see how the tertiary Ti part of their mentality can lead to annoyance with a flawed system. But it isnt expressed like a Ti-dom, no, because it all comes through the overarching SiFe ego.

Of course, this is all really speculative stuff given how nebulous function stacking is. In these kinds of discussions, I always feel like the equivalent of some Trekkie nerd debating a fine point about Klingon language, or something like that. I am well aware it means NOTHING, yet I cannot help but get caught up in it.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Oh my god I thought I was crazy for doing this
There's this song I heard on this electronica music channel on TV. and I loved it and listened to it quite often my freshman year of high school. Now, whenever I hear that song, it's like I've gone back in time and I'm actually reliving that period of my life. It's like I'm literally 14 again, all the problems and hopes and everyday life memories from that time hit me so strong because of that one specific song. People I knew who I'd otherwise forget, who were a part of my life at that time, I suddenly remember when I hear it. And I HATE listening to that song often. Not because I hate the experience, but because I don't want to wear it out and make it stop becoming special.

If it's okay with you, I'd love to compare and contrast what you've shared here with my experience as an ISFJ, when I get home from school in a few hours (it's excruciatingly painful to do this on my phone). That way we can describe the variety of ISFJ experiences for the curious. :D

Yes! If you'd like, we could collab and collectively write a better ISFJ description, and maybe get some other firsthand ISFJ experiences, too. :)

So happy my post was a success!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes! If you'd like, we could collab and collectively write a better ISFJ description, and maybe get some other firsthand ISFJ experiences, too. :)

So happy my post was a success!

Oooh I like this idea! :D

Okay so after I eat & de-school (yes that's a thing), I'll do a sort of compare & contrast thing, hopefully other ISFJs have more input as well, and we can sort of mesh it all together. Like the varieties of the ISFJ :wink:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Oooh I like this idea! :D

Okay so after I eat & de-school (yes that's a thing), I'll do a sort of compare & contrast thing, hopefully other ISFJs have more input as well, and we can sort of mesh it all together. Like the varieties of the ISFJ :wink:

I'm going to make a "Flavors of ISFJ" thing as well.

P.S. De-school is totally a thing, and absolutely a wonderful word for it as well. :)