• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You aren't an INFP.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Requesting a wall'o'text, eh? :orate:

Outwardly, we look very different and I cannot imagine people thinking we have similar personalities. Growing up, I failed to identify with my mom much, which I think partly created my 4 sense of being different, especially in a defective way. I was criticized a LOT for not being an SF woman, basically. I was frequently compared to my INTP uncle and INFJ aunt, who are considered "odd". So that said, I think the confusion could come in how my mom sees herself, which may sound more INFP than ISFJ in many ways if she were to describe herself. However, my mom is a baby boomer and still fits a lot of stereotypical ISFJ stuff pretty well. I know some young ISFJ women and they reflect a lot of Millennial values, and I know when my mom was young she was a bit "trendy" and not "traditional". For example, she hopped on the hippy bandwagon for stuff like natural birth outside a hospital and breastfeeding, which were more novel concepts in her day and amounted to deviating from the "norms" in her childhood.

A lot of Millennial values sound like stereotypes of INFPs - the whole indie/hipster subculture, emphasis on things being "special" and "personal", the "follow your dreams" and "do what you love" mantras, greater awareness of the environment and treatment of animals, various social "progress" as new cultural values, etc.

So anyway, I am actually going to note stuff that could be misconstrued in her own self-perception, but how it actually differs from myself (and how I see INFPs).

Examples:
- Being "future oriented" is often attributed to being an N type. However, my mom is more of a planner and worries a lot about the future. She imagines worst case scenarios a lot. That could be construed as thinking about "possibilities".
- She likes new things, but needs to have an idea ahead of time of what it will be like, what to expect, and she seeks trusted sources to inform her. I am far more comfortable with the true "unknown" and seek out novelty on my own. I am less prone to consider possible risks.
- My mom can seem highly gullible and even prone to magical thinking or superstitiousness in a way that may make her feel she is whimsical or not "down to earth". She will adopt wacky beliefs in stuff, such as believing you can "think away" serious illness and especially weight loss scams. While I like to contemplate silly new agey junk like "auras", I don't believe it. I like to think about it because the absurdity amuses me...she seems to believe it, even if for a temporary time.
- She is way more concerned about, say, treatment of animals than I am. Most SFs I know are that way. I make a clear distinction between different animals and the human experience, so that I don't project human experience onto animals as much. My mom is the type to wonder "what the cat is thinking". A lot of people associate this with NFPs for some reason.
- My mom is very curious, and I think some of it is fear driven. She definitely fears the unknown, but it can manifest as curiosity that can venture into that whimsical territory again. She has noted that when younger she would drive people nuts asking questions that seemed silly, because she'd hear some snippet on the news and get carried away with what it was implying. Or she'd read some piece of fiction and wonder if it could really be. In contrast, I ask questions to myself and explore things, and I actually seem to have a greater sense of what is possible in reality, even if my sense of this SEEMS far-fetched to others. Yet, I create whimsy on demand better, knowing all the while it is whimsy, because for me it is usually a metaphor. My mom seems to be regurgitating stuff she has seen/hear somewhere and just finds it fund/cool or it makes her wonder in a slightly paranoid way.
- My mom spends a lot of time in her head imagining stuff, but a lot of it seems to be concrete. She will say when she reads a novel, for example, that she likes to picture what people lived like in a certain past era, that she likes descriptions of what things looked like, etc. Again, she imagines future stuff, but generally it is the immediate, realistic future and she tends to focus on what could go wrong. This could be construed as being "imaginative".
- She creates a lot. She is very crafty and has a good sense of aesthetics, but she mostly tweaks existing methods rather than "inventing" anything truly novel. She doesn't create original concepts or philosophies. She doesn't create or explore new perspectives that much. She doesn't seem to be expressing difficult, hard to articulate emotions. She doesn't seem concerned with exploring aspects of the human condition that are not part of her immediate reality. This is from my perspective, of course. She once told me that she would like to get into art, but needs to learn what is "good art". She seems more fascinated to learn about facts about an artist's life and methods than to feel the art itself in the moment & to viscerally determine whatever it is communicating. This is extremely different from how I and my ISFP step-dad approach art, which is closer to the latter. I find this especially odd, as she DOES seem to swim around very intimately in other sensory experience.
- She feels what other people feel pretty readily, probably more so than I do. I tend to empathize more intellectually. I may understand an emotional reaction that is totally foreign to me & that I have never had & would never have, seeing how the fundamental meaning of their emotional experience aligns is a basic human emotion I (& most people) have experienced and being able to enter their perspective without it affecting my own emotions. My mom readily grasps "typical" emotional responses in people and feels the emotions in the moment like they are her own. However, she cannot understand why someone would assign a particular value to something and have an associated emotional response to it, or they do not respond in the usual way most people respond, then she can be extremely dismissive or even judgmental.
- She has common sense in most cases; she knows "how things are done". I don't. Since I am always seeking an unexpected angle, it can make me miss the obvious at times, or I approach common tasks in a novel way simply because I didn't bother to observe how others do stuff and note it for future reference. This can add to my creativity or make me an airhead.
- She has pretty defined ideas of how things "should" be that definitely could be called ideals and she is not happy when stuff doesn't align with these. A difference is she thinks these are obvious truths about how reality should be or even IS (say, for other people), and she tends to romanticize the past as having met these ideals; whereas I tend to see my ideals as fundamental concepts of what is important or necessary to the human experience or my personal experience, but these are things which cannot ever be fully defined and are more like general themes to cultivate, not things which ever have or ever will perfectly exist.
- She is a perfectionist in a physical way - the environment needs to be orderly and her life should align with her ideals which are largely "measurable" stuff. This makes her more meticulous and consistent. I am a perfectionist in creating value concepts and how they are expressed (the means of expression has to be adequate), which means I am constantly adjusting and revising what "things mean" in my head, making my outward appearance and even goals way less steady. Sure, I'd love to have a picture perfect home, but I cannot prioritize it.
- I think she pleases people she cares for or respects because she wants to keep their support. I tend to do things out of principle in a more detached way. I use the word "principle", but it is a FEELING of what is right/good, but it doesn't well up as emotion within me. I am not saying there is no principle there for her, but she truly seems more moved emotionally. If I am moved emotionally, it is not about a personal attachment to anything/anyone, rather, its implicit belief in a value concept of mine. Subtle difference in description, but a big difference in how we appear.

Curious what other ISFJs think about that, especially with generational differences, because the young ISFJs I know make for much better pseudo-INFPs.

Thank you . It was a Good read.
In some places, it felt like you were more discussing enneagram differences, as I identified with her notions of future and imagining and a few other things. I saw that as your mum and me being "mental" (lol),and you "emotional",(this is sounding so bad, but I hope you understand)....it could even be that your mum is a 6(!?) and the similarities Im feeling between her and me are that (me-possible 6wing). Either that or I'm actually an ISFJ in disguise ahah. Awesome :D

The rest was very elucidative though. Especially the thought process differences (concrete vs abstract) and possible analogies due to culture (hippie flower power). So thanks for your post. 😊

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

Sorry if thats obnoxious.

We had MBTI test at my college too. Official MBTI and with the advisor to see afterward. I was shocked that around 65-70% of people I knew actually scored as S types. I thought anyone half-intelligent would test N, regardless of their actual S/N functional preferences. Most ISxPs are pretty damn abstract, as much as INxPs, really, as Ji is pretty abstract on its own without Ne's input. I myself scored as N but already typed myself through the functions (as ISFP, which was a mistype, but I'm leaning ESFP now so I was pretty close). I scored ENFP on the official MBTI. LOL :blush:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
in my high school psych class they gave us some shitty mbti test and over half the class got ENFP. (I was one of them)

In my high school psych class, here are the definitions:

I - After a bad day, 20 minutes of alone time before talking to anyone
E - Calling everyone

S - Going by facts and believing when they see it
N - Not needing proof to believe something

F - Doing what feels right
T - Doing what makes sense

J - Organized
P - Disorganized

We had to do a project explaining which type we are and justification for each letter. It was painful. By the shitty definitions, I'm an InFP. So that's what I said.

It was really difficult, actually. My deeper knowledge interfered with the project, and I had to pretend I didn't know. If I'd tried to put down something different, with even a semblance of accuracy, I would've been downgraded.

Not to mention we got into all that left brain/right brain stuff. :doh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my high school psych class, here are the definitions:

I - After a bad day, 20 minutes of alone time before talking to anyone
E - Calling everyone

S - Going by facts and believing when they see it
N - Not needing proof to believe something

F - Doing what feels right
T - Doing what makes sense

J - Organized
P - Disorganized

We had to do a project explaining which type we are and justification for each letter. It was painful. By the shitty definitions, I'm an InFP. So that's what I said.

It was really difficult, actually. My deeper knowledge interfered with the project, and I had to pretend I didn't know. If I'd tried to put down something different, with even a semblance of accuracy, I would've been downgraded.

Not to mention we got into all that left brain/right brain stuff. :doh:

That's... terrible on so many levels. Aarg

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am the president of INFPs, and I approve this thread.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
That's... terrible on so many levels. Aarg

The teacher used an example of his friend to demonstrate "N vs S."

His friend was adopted and apparently had long-lost siblings. Be met some people who were around his age, and who looked like him. He decided to go in for a blood test to confirm their relation.

Teacher: "He needed the blood test as proof. What does this sound like?"
Class, except me: "S."

I cringed.

On a test, the bonus question was to guess his type. I thought a lot about it. I came to a Ne-Fi conclusion and put down ENFP.
...If only I'd gone by the shitty definitions. I would've gotten it right if I'd done that. Because guess what?

He's supposedly an "ISTJ."

Come to think of it, the lessons were biased in favor of ISTJs. Making extroverts out to be phone-obsessed loudmouths...iNtuitives as vibe-happy, naive mystics...Feelers as impulsive crybabies...Perceivers as scattered procrastinators...

His example for T vs F was a student who saw his friend getting bullied and then punched the bully in the nose. When asked why he did it, he said, "He was my boy." This was the Feeler example.

The teacher said, "Now, a Thinker would've thought about being suspended or getting in some other trouble."

I died during that unit.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Though it also kind of demonstrates that mbti in application is really quite silly - if the vast majority of people are exposed to it in ways like this. It's kind of pointless. (which is a separate topic, and I digress....hehe)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

His friend was adopted and apparently had long-lost siblings. Be met some people who were around his age, and who looked like him. He decided to go in for a blood test to confirm their relation.

I cringed.

On a test, the bonus question was to guess his type. I thought a lot about it. I came to a Ne-Fi conclusion and put down ENFP.
...If only I'd gone by the shitty definitions. I would've gotten it right if I'd done that. Because guess what?

Come to think of it, the lessons were biased in favor of ISTJs. Making extroverts out to be phone-obsessed loudmouths...iNtuitives as vibe-happy, naive mystics...Feelers as impulsive crybabies...Perceivers as scattered procrastinators...

His example for T vs F was a student who saw his friend getting bullied and then punched the bully in the nose. When asked why he did it, he said, "He was my boy." This was the Feeler example.

The teacher said, "Now, a Thinker would've thought about being suspended or getting in some other trouble."

I died during that unit.

And I thought people on tumblr were bad...

Though it also kind of demonstrates that mbti in application is really quite silly - if the vast majority of people are exposed to it in ways like this. It's kind of pointless. (which is a separate topic, and I digress....hehe)

Yeah it's way too complex for it to be a single unit in a psych class. And most people wouldn't want to spend time on understanding it. It's better as a hobby than a school subject.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
we're not infps yet all of us are infps, the point is it doesn't matter. and honestly most people don't like fi, except fi aux or doms, so the point is if you're fi people don't like you. I'm fi, not infp and i hear all the time how much fi is awful and selfish, so really you don't want to be IxFP because then no one will like you.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
we're not infps yet all of us are infps, the point is it doesn't matter. and honestly most people don't like fi, except fi aux or doms, so the point is if you're fi people don't like you. I'm fi, not infp and i hear all the time how much fi is awful and selfish, so really you don't want to be IxFP because then no one will like you.

I also hear a lot of crap like "Fe sucks, I hate Fe, my mom was such a bitch and an ESFJ, all Fe doms are evil mindless stereotype and society adhering robots who have no imagination, they're just like the mean girls, gossipy and sucky" and paired with Si stereotypes makes me wanna punch someone in the face. Sometimes I wonder why I'm so obsessed with MBTI when I simultaneously hate it so much

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also hear a lot of crap like "Fe sucks, I hate Fe, my mom was such a bitch and an ESFJ, all Fe doms are evil mindless stereotype and society adhering robots who have no imagination, they're just like the mean girls, gossipy and sucky" and paired with Si stereotypes makes me wanna punch someone in the face. Sometimes I wonder why I'm so obsessed with MBTI when I simultaneously hate it so much

It's interesting but it's also not important in the slightest. :) Life and people exist and go on without knowing anything about mbti, each of us is still who we are no matter what the category, and that's pretty much it from my pov. People just like to categorize/try to make everything make sense so the world/people make sense. :blush:

Basically - I agree with you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

yeah its like someone meets some crazy ho of some type and any body of that type automatically sucks and is awful, regardless if the person is mistyped or not.

Permabanned

I cringed.

I died during that unit.

:doh:

Permabanned

cuz it's gr8 for PUA? :thinking:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
As a side tangent - do you think it's possible for someone to have a different type by letters than by functions? For instance, an ESTP by MBTI, but an ESFP by functions? Because if so, I'll be an INFP in MB and ISFJ in JCF. :shrug:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As a side tangent - do you think it's possible for someone to have a different type by letters than by functions? For instance, an ESTP by MBTI, but an ESFP by functions? Because if so, I'll be an INFP in MB and ISFJ in JCF. :shrug:
[MENTION=6554]/DG/[/MENTION] is my mental go-to for dichotomous type. Maybe she'd have some good input on this??

IMO - yeah, I think so. And especially with J/P dichotomy (especially with introverts--Pi and Ji, ya know?)

When I take dichotomy tests I usually test as ISTJ (and occasionally ISFP) more than I will ISFJ. Hell, even on cognitive functions tests I'll still get ISTJ as often, if not more often, than ISFJ, because of how strongly I don't relate to the way tests describe Fe (and sometimes Si--the last time I took a functions test a week or so ago, I got INFP and I laughed).

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I think s/n and t/f functions would be the same, but J and P could be different since the functions aren't about organization level (well some could argue that Si is), but that is often how beginners decide between the two. E and I could be different especially for reserved extroverts.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6554]/DG/[/MENTION] is my mental go-to for dichotomous type. Maybe she'd have some good input on this??

IMO - yeah, I think so. And especially with J/P dichotomy (especially with introverts--Pi and Ji, ya know?)

When I take dichotomy tests I usually test as ISTJ (and occasionally ISFP) more than I will ISFJ. Hell, even on cognitive functions tests I'll still get ISTJ as often, if not more often, than ISFJ, because of how strongly I don't relate to the way tests describe Fe (and sometimes Si--the last time I took a functions test a week or so ago, I got INFP and I laughed).

My take is that the "functions" are just descriptions of preference combinations (although they only can really describe the top two "functions"). So, Fe, for example, is mostly describing F+J, and hence is about stable and harmonious relationships (F) that exist across situations and people (J). Where as Fi is mostly F+P, and hence is more about harmonizing (F) with specific individuals, such as the self, in a specific situations or contexts (P), such as the present moment.

Hence, insofar as function descriptions describe preference combinations (and I think they do), it doesn't make sense to get a different MBTI and JCF results.

The tertiary and inferior "functions" have proven, thus far, to be empirically undetectable, so they don't appear to describe anything directly useful.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My take is that the "functions" are just descriptions of preference combinations (although they only can really describe the top two "functions"). So, Fe, for example, is mostly describing F+J, and hence is about stable and harmonious relationships (F) that exist across situations and people (J). Where as Fi is mostly F+P, and hence is more about harmonizing (F) with specific individuals, such as the self, in a specific situations or contexts (P), such as the present moment.

Hence, insofar as function descriptions describe preference combinations (and I think they do), it doesn't make sense to get a different MBTI and JCF results.

The tertiary and inferior function "functions" have proven to be empirically undetectable, so they don't appear to describe anything actually detectable.

I think it all depends on who's describing the functions and the dichotomies, and how much someone relates to those descriptions. Though yes, there probably shouldn't be too much variation between your type in JCF and MBTI, otherwise one probably is mistyped in one of them.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it all depends on who's describing the functions and the dichotomies, and how much someone relates to those descriptions. Though yes, there probably shouldn't be too much variation between your type in JCF and MBTI, otherwise one probably is mistyped in one of them.

Well, the preferences actually have solid empirical support (especially when one treats them as non-dichotomous). Type dynamics doesn't really appear to, although I think the function descriptions themselves are defensible. It's a shame that most of the other preference combinations get short shrift (except for Kiersey's temperaments), since some of those no doubt would describe people better than either function descriptions or whole type descriptions.