• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Shaming Threads

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Carl Rogers, the individual who revolutionized counseling and education through his client-centered and student-centered approaches leads people to greater self understanding through the following principles. These never include shaming or berating. His belief is that each individual is the master of their own life and that only they have the complete resources to understand their own issues and how to resolve these.

Carl Rogers said:
'It is that the individual has within himself or herself vast resources for self-understanding, for altering his or her self-concept, attitudes and self-directed behavior - and that these resources can be tapped if only a definable climate of facilitative psychological attitudes can be provided'.

The following are the core conditions required to create an environment where an individual can become more enlightened to what their problems are and how to resolve those issues.
Carl Rogers said:
Client-centered therapy operates according to three basic principles that reflect the attitude of the therapist to the client:

The therapist is congruent with the client.

The therapist provides the client with unconditional positive regard.

The therapist shows empathetic understanding to the client.
Complete link: Person Centred Therapy - Core Conditions | Simply Psychology

For anyone who might see this as too gentle or naively kind, it is worth mentioning that Carl Rogers was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for using his philosophies in negotiations to resolve conflict in violent regions of the world.
wikipedia said:
Some scholars believe there is a politics implicit in Rogers's approach to psychotherapy.[25][26] Toward the end of his life, Rogers came to that view himself.[27] The central tenet of a Rogerian, person-centered politics is that public life does not have to consist of an endless series of winner-take-all battles among sworn opponents; rather, it can and should consist of an ongoing dialogue among all parties. Such dialogue would be characterized by respect among the parties, authentic speaking by each party, and – ultimately – empathic understanding among all parties. Out of such understanding, mutually acceptable solutions would (or at least could) flow.[25][28]

During his last decade, Rogers facilitated or participated in a wide variety of dialogic activities among politicians, activists, and other social leaders, often outside the U.S.[28] In addition, he lent his support to several non-traditional U.S. political initiatives, including the "12-Hour Political Party" of the Association for Humanistic Psychology [29] and the founding of a "transformational" political organization, the New World Alliance.[30] By the 21st century, interest in dialogic approaches to political engagement and change had become widespread, especially among academics and activists.[31] Theorists of a specifically Rogerian, person-centered approach to politics as dialogue have made substantial contributions to that project. [26][32]

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Coming up next: "Ni users- How come the future freaks you out?"

More like Ni users, why can't you adapt to reality?

What you said applies to Si users because of the inferior Ne.

Ti users - why can't you hold a conversation without leaving the other person cold?

Fe users - why can't you understand much?

Te users - why do you let people suffer?

Fi users - why are you messy?

Se users - why do you have no purpose?

Ne users - why can't you move on from the past?

Starry

Carl Rogers, the individual who revolutionized counseling and education through his client-centered and student-centered approaches leads people to greater self understanding through the following principles. These never include shaming or berating. His belief is that each individual is the master of their own life and that only they have the complete resources to understand their own issues and how to resolve these.

The following are the core conditions required to create an environment where an individual can become more enlightened to what their problems are and how to resolve those issues.

Complete link: Person Centred Therapy - Core Conditions | Simply Psychology

For anyone who might see this as too gentle or naively kind, it is worth mentioning that Carl Rogers was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for using his philosophies in negotiations to resolve conflict in violent regions of the world.

Thank you so much for this fia.

Do you think there is a way we can do something like this on this forum? How do we know when something is shaming and when something is stated in a straightfoward manner...just not in our preferred style? Is there a style that appears to work with most people? I feel like you would know these things. Do you feel we should avoid the negative in all instances?

Starry

It is difficult for me to have faith that people will be able to discern the bullshit typology from real typology when I repeatedly see the same stereotypes about the same things plastered everywhere without correction. Wtf now I'm debating having a 1 fix

I hope so badly that your faith isn't misplaced because I'd rather you be right.

I totally get this... ((although I think I was accused of using stereotypes myself twice in the Fi thread.))

And thank you so much for doing this work lux!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you so much for this fia.

Do you think there is a way we can do something like this on this forum? How do we know when something is shaming and when something is stated in a straightfoward manner...just not in our preferred style? Is there a style that appears to work with most people? I feel like you would know these things. Do you feel we should avoid the negative in all instances?
I would just say that the more a feeling of respect and trust is established, the more effective a challenging dialog will be. There is an automatic defensiveness present when a stranger opens with "you know what your problem is...." I tend to be defensive against that because I do know what my problem is better than strangers know.

There will be a range of reactions, though. Once a person is placed in an ego-defensive mode, it is typical for that to close them off to hearing criticism. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, if a person wants results and not to just bully to feel powerful, then it stands to reason to establish some respect at least up front before the negative comments. Trust is better, but respect is something to help move towards trust.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It is difficult for me to have faith that people will be able to discern the bullshit typology from real typology when I repeatedly see the same stereotypes about the same things plastered everywhere without correction. Wtf now I'm debating having a 1 fix

I hope so badly that your faith isn't misplaced because I'd rather you be right.
I was accused of being an sfp for years finally i gave up said fine yes i am even though i know se is one of my weakest functions then [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] met me and hung out for like 5 days and was like you suck at se and it was because i like cooking and am not as smart as other people

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was accused of being an sfp for years finally i gave up said fine yes i am even though i know se is one of my weakest functions then [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] met me and hung out for like 5 days and was like you suck at se and it was because i like cooking and am not as smart as other people

i know a Dom Se who is clumsy as hell and would say sucks at Se stuff. she is still Se. your not dumb, your intellect is knocked by people who think they know. i think thats what drives you the most nuts. i see its more that you need validation of where your correct vs incorrect truthfully and you will see your not stupid, just have a different focus on things then those who knock you.

i say your ISFP, nothing to do with smart vs stupid. you just seem to match the functions in a broad sense.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i know a Dom Se who is clumsy as hell and would say sucks at Se stuff. she is still Se. your not dumb, your intellect is knocked by people who think they know. i think thats what drives you the most nuts. i see its more that you need validation of where your correct vs incorrect truthfully and you will see your not stupid, just have a different focus on things then those who knock you.

i say your ISFP, nothing to do with smart vs stupid. you just seem to match the functions in a broad sense.

my whole fucking point with that is I am not ISFP i never have been no one who knows me very well and met me in real life has ever said i'm an ISFP it's only people on the forum. and it's frustrating.